Dental Abscess

Der Kaiser

:sob:

First time in my life. 

Been clock watching all weekend till my dentist opens. Emergency hospital in town just gave me antibiotics. 

Genuinely think my broken leg last year was less painful. Would happily just knock myself out if i could. 

Open to any home remedies you might have. Don't care if theyre real or you just made them up......

been here before
5 minutes ago, Der Kaiser said:

First time in my life. 

Been clock watching all weekend till my dentist opens. Emergency hospital in town just gave me antibiotics. 

Genuinely think my broken leg last year was less painful. Would happily just knock myself out if i could. 

Open to any home remedies you might have. Don't care if theyre real or you just made them up......

Had an abcess once and found freezing water around it helped a great deal. Sounds counter intuative for such a sensitive thing but and abcess is an infection. Germs that cause infections like dark warm conditions.

Slushing freezing water around your mouth and the infected tooth does work for short periods at a time.

Edited by been here before

The Hogfather

Utmost sympathies to you, they're absolutely horrendous. I had one burst in my mouth once and it was the worst thing imaginable.

Just had to keep knocking back 500mg Ibuprofen until the dentist opened.

You have my sympathies. I got one while recovering from ankle surgery. Was on a shed load of dihydrocodeine after the op and while it helped the ankle, it didn’t touch the sides of the abscess. Actually called the hospital and scared the shit out the anaesthetist as you can apparently damage the jaw during the anaesthesia. Was two hours at the dentist draining the stinkiest poison I’ve ever smelled. 

1 hour ago, Der Kaiser said:

First time in my life. 

You can double up on Ibruprofen and paracetamol to ease the pain until the antibiotics start having an affect. https://www.nhs.uk/common-health-questions/medicines/can-i-take-paracetamol-and-ibuprofen-together/

If my abscess wasnt so high up my jaw/cheek I'd lance it with a needle myself regardless of the possibility of doing something worse.

Taking maximum amount of paracetamol and ibuprofen i can. Next step im just gonna grind any and all pill medicine in my cabinet and tip the powder into a bottle of gin and down it.

Edited by Der Kaiser

Have you tried barefoot tapdancing on a floor covered in Lego and upturned plugs?

Won't do much for the abscess but could take your mind off it for a wee while...

1 minute ago, Boof said:

Have you tried barefoot tapdancing on a floor covered in Lego and upturned plugs?

Won't do much for the abscess but could take your mind off it for a wee while...

i was going to suggest getting someone to kick him in the staines. that would take his mind off of the pain

Stewie Griffin

Had one on New Year’s Day around 20 years ago still think it’s the most pain I’ve ever been in by some distance, Hope the night goes quick for you.

10 minutes ago, Barack said:

Burst it. Do it.

Would if i could. Honestly.

Maybe ill walk around Penicuik town centre and see if i can get someone to stab me in the face

22 minutes ago, Der Kaiser said:

If my abscess wasnt so high up my jaw/cheek I'd lance it with a needle myself regardless of the possibility of doing something worse.

Taking maximum amount of paracetamol and ibuprofen i can. Next step im just gonna grind any and all pill medicine in my cabinet and tip the powder into a bottle of gin and down it.

Heroin. 

Mine was literally at the bottom of my jaw. Absolutely excruciating. 

Just now, Zico said:

Heroin. 

Mine was literally at the bottom of my jaw. Absolutely excruciating. 

......and where can i buy this Heroin?

Asking for a friend.

14 minutes ago, Barack said:

Burst it. Do it.

Don't. Don't. Don't. Don't. Don't. Don't. Don't. Don't. Don't. Don't. Don't. Don't. Don't. 

Just now, jonesy said:

Only if he live streams it and gives us a link.

Better watch than the Arbroath game though.....

Byyy The Light

My mate ended up in hospital getting his kidneys monitored after taking too many paracetamol nursing his last year. Be careful.

Hope the night passes quickly, I had one years ago and ended up in dental hospital on Chambers street. Got a jag and then the guy got pliers and ripped the tooth out. The release of pressure was unbelievable, the taste, sight and smell of what came out even more so.

Had one way back under a tooth on upper left of jaw, was the worst pain I'd experienced until I had a sciatica two years ago. That was the worst. 

Dagger Is Back
1 hour ago, Boof said:

Whisky held in the mouth might numb it a bit.

Cotton wool soaked in whisky. Didn’t help the abscess but I was reeking.

Only kidding it worked for me 

Dagger Is Back

Had one a few years ago on Xmas night. Sat up all night with the cotton wool/whisky trick.

Into the emergency dentist on Boxing Day and they said we can give you ABs or take the tooth out.

Didn’t need asked twice. Pliers, two dentists and 10 minutes later it was out. 

Never smelt anything as foul and it bled for an age. Turns out previous dental work a few years previously had been botched 

Absolutely horrific 

Captain Slog

Ibuprofen is good every four hours in pain management, but for some reason paracetamol didn't have any effect on the agony of an abscess.

Get yourself to the chemist first thing, and get the high strength 30/500 co-codamol (codeine with paracetamol) for two hours after the ibuprofen.

Lie when the chemist asks if you drink, they wont give them if you drink something like two units a day on average over a week.

I wont advocate taking any more, but when i had one my GP gave me a box of 500, and I must have necked half the box in the few days days before i got an emergency dentist appointment, its far far worse than broken bones.

8 hours ago, been here before said:

Had an abcess once and found freezing water around it helped a great deal. Sounds counter intuative for such a sensitive thing but and abcess is an infection. Germs that cause infections like dark warm conditions.

Slushing freezing water around your mouth and the infected tooth does work for short periods at a time.

I do this. But usually end up with bevvy and pain killers. 

Whisky is good for toothache as you can get the wife to smash your teeth out with bottle after you've tanned it. :whistling: So I've heard. 

Captain Slog

Actually, reading this again this morning.  The relief if you lance it is so palpable, if the dentist doesn't give you an appointment today, do it, or get the wife to - you are on antibiotics.

Alternatively, I always wanted to find out if that trick in Broons books where you tie a piece of string to the tooth, and the other end to a door handle, and slam the door, works.

Can you film and post so we can find out?

I mind having an abscess on my arse a few years ago. Painful is an understatement. Was given antibiotics, doctor wouldn't burst it.

It was am awkward few days trying to sit down as my right cheek couldn't come into contact or the pain would get even worse.

It burst after a couple of days and left the weirdest looking skid marks I've ever seen.

I had a tooth with an abscess snap off at the gum while a dentist at the dental hospital tried to pull it. Despite having several anaesthetic jags, it was still agony, and was physically shaking in the chair for the half hour or so it took her to hoak the rest of the tooth out.  It didn't end there though,  I went on to have a dry socket, which was just as bad as having the abscess. 

Longest night ever.

Now have an Emergency appointment this afternoon. Hopefully i dont cry in public on my way there....

I had one while on an oil rig, had to wait two days to get off on a Friday night, dentist Saturday morning Antibiotics but made no difference, Monday back at dentist different AB’s, Thursday rushed to hospital on a IV for 24hrs.. honestly the most severe pain I’ve ever had and once the infection got in to me i thought I was going to die....

I have always now looked after my teeth, but it’s now 18months without checkup due to Covid and the fear of an infection again.....

2 hours ago, Der Kaiser said:

Longest night ever.

Now have an Emergency appointment this afternoon. Hopefully i dont cry in public on my way there....

Hope you're OK. Just to warn, if it is deep within your gum, the dentist may be able to do nothing until anti-biotics reduce the swelling - they can't even do an extraction. I was once in that situation, and was hours away from being admitted to hospital. Dentist told me there was a risk of the abscess bursting into an artery, entering the bloodstream and causing cardiac arrest! Hospital solution would be to cut out the tooth and abscess. Fortunately for me, the medication worked (48 hours), the abscess was drained by cutting into the gum followed later by root canal treatment. I feel for you!

I had to have a tooth extraction due to an abscess.

After getting the anaesthetic it started off fairly civilised with the dentist wiggling the tooth around with a small pair of pliers.

Ten minutes later after gradually working his way through an array of larger and larger torture equipment, he was drenched in sweat with his knee on my chest and the nurse and I trying to brace my head against the chair.

Anaesthetic smamaesthetic, it was agony, and when it eventually came out I was shaking like a leaf.

Good luck to the op. 👍

Jambo-Jimbo
44 minutes ago, fancy a brew said:

I had to have a tooth extraction due to an abscess.

After getting the anaesthetic it started off fairly civilised with the dentist wiggling the tooth around with a small pair of pliers.

Ten minutes later after gradually working his way through an array of larger and larger torture equipment, he was drenched in sweat with his knee on my chest and the nurse and I trying to brace my head against the chair.

Anaesthetic smamaesthetic, it was agony, and when it eventually came out I was shaking like a leaf.

Good luck to the op. 👍

Had a similar experience with one my back teeth, except it took over 30 minutes to get all the bits out as the root had broken into a few pieces, had to take small intervals inbetween him trying to get the fecking bits out, eventually he was about to give up and send me to hospital to get the last bit surgically removed, but on the very last try he got the last part of the root out.

Seemingly the anaesthetic doesn't work as well when you have an abscess and yes, it was fecking agony not only during the extraction but my jaw was sore for about a week or so afterwards as well, I was also shaking like a leaf, which was probably shock.

1 hour ago, Greenbank2 said:

Just to warn, if it is deep within your gum, the dentist may be able to do nothing until anti-biotics reduce the swelling - they can't even do an extraction.

:muggy:

Now you've made me nervous. I dont think i can take one more day of this.

And.....root canal needed 

Cant be drained as too high in my jaw.

Go back....for the root canal in 2 and a half weeks. 

**** my life. **** it. **** everything. 

6 minutes ago, Der Kaiser said:

And.....root canal needed 

Cant be drained as too high in my jaw.

Go back....for the root canal in 2 and a half weeks. 

**** my life. **** it. **** everything. 

My teeth have been in a shocking state for years but currently in the process of getting them fully fixed, i've had 2 root canal's in the last month after a mild abcess and they have been an utter breeze with me able to eat pain free a couple of hours afterwards. That of course may well be due to me going private for the first time rather than through a NHS dentist, not cheap but a far better experience with the dentist just as concerned about aesthetics as she is function.

Captain Sausage

Had a root canal in central Paris last week. In and out in 3 hours. 

Was very lucky - infection picked up at a last second glance during my check up. Asked if I felt any pain, and then RC scheduled for the next day due to risk of pain coming imminently. 

Got a filling on the other side to do next week then I’m back to full dental health after 18 months without a visit due to COVID. 

The worst pain I have ever experienced in my life was dental pain, and it led to me begging the dentist to just haul out the infected tooth.  I had to wait from Friday evening to Monday morning, and come then I was knocking on their door at 7:55am without an appointment :lol:  I ended up with a student dentist having to take it out, but the roots were so deep he couldn't manage, and it took a senior dentist 25 minutes of crawling over my chest trying everything to get it to shift.  I honestly thought we were getting to the "tie a string around it and tie the other end to the door handle" stage, but eventually there was a faint pop and that was it.  Absolute instant relief, sort of like when you're absolutely bursting on a pish, the most you've ever been bursting in your life, and right when you're on the verge of your insides exploding, you make it to the safety of a toilet or other secluded area.  It was amazing.

The only thing that helped for me was sitting with a hair dryer on a low setting blowing warm air over my agonisingly sore tooth.  Not sure how I ended up trying that one, but trust me, I'd gone through just about everything else, and painkillers just weren't touching it.

11 hours ago, Captain Slog said:

Actually, reading this again this morning.  The relief if you lance it is so palpable, if the dentist doesn't give you an appointment today, do it, or get the wife to - you are on antibiotics.

Alternatively, I always wanted to find out if that trick in Broons books where you tie a piece of string to the tooth, and the other end to a door handle, and slam the door, works.

Can you film and post so we can find out?

I tried the string on the door handle business once. It didn't work. Sorry, no footage, it was that long ago I'd probably have needed someone with a cine camera.  I reckon for it to work your tooth would have to be pretty loose, or maybe a kids tooth that's on it's way out.

What did work, was tying the string to a bannister and jumping down the stairs.  Maybe I should email the Broons folk with the idea? 

Captain Slog
54 minutes ago, Lemongrab said:

I tried the string on the door handle business once. It didn't work. Sorry, no footage, it was that long ago I'd probably have needed someone with a cine camera.  I reckon for it to work your tooth would have to be pretty loose, or maybe a kids tooth that's on it's way out.

What did work, was tying the string to a bannister and jumping down the stairs.  Maybe I should email the Broons folk with the idea? 

Poor @Der Kaiser, he'll be going through similar pain, but  every single moment for two and half weeks till the antibiotics do their job.  Your Tarzan impression was worth it.

No Idle Talk

Christ. Reading this thread has made me more terrified of the dentist than I already was. And I am TERRIFIED of going to the dentist. Some of the stories in here are horrific. 😰

I have had two dental abscesses in my life and the last one I had was the worst pain I have ever experienced. So I really feel for you, Kaiser. I had to get an emergency appointment at the hospital at 4pm on a Sunday afternoon to get that thing looked at and I had been up all night with it. Could not sleep one bit and the side of my face was swollen up like a balloon. I have no idea how that thing didn't burst as the pressure felt unbearable. I sat rocking back and forth on the edge of my bed for about four hours waiting for 4pm to arrive. It was excruciating. The second I stopped moving, the pain seemed ten times worse. That could have been the longest few hours of my life. Once I got to the hospital the dentist couldn't do anything with it and just put me on antibiotics. My God! The relief when they started kicking in. 

I've never had a root canal done but I've heard it's a pretty painful and unpleasant experience. Hope it doesn't go too badly for you. 

PS. Out of interest, what would actually happen if you did prick a dental abscess yourself?

8 hours ago, No Idle Talk said:

Christ. Reading this thread has made me more terrified of the dentist than I already was. And I am TERRIFIED of going to the dentist. Some of the stories in here are horrific. 😰

I have had two dental abscesses in my life and the last one I had was the worst pain I have ever experienced. So I really feel for you, Kaiser. I had to get an emergency appointment at the hospital at 4pm on a Sunday afternoon to get that thing looked at and I had been up all night with it. Could not sleep one bit and the side of my face was swollen up like a balloon. I have no idea how that thing didn't burst as the pressure felt unbearable. I sat rocking back and forth on the edge of my bed for about four hours waiting for 4pm to arrive. It was excruciating. The second I stopped moving, the pain seemed ten times worse. That could have been the longest few hours of my life. Once I got to the hospital the dentist couldn't do anything with it and just put me on antibiotics. My God! The relief when they started kicking in. 

I've never had a root canal done but I've heard it's a pretty painful and unpleasant experience. Hope it doesn't go too badly for you. 

PS. Out of interest, what would actually happen if you did prick a dental abscess yourself?

Poison and blood usually comes out. The dentist will drill a hole and leave it open so it drains.

DIY job. Heat a Stanley blade with a lighter, stick it into the pus bag and hey presto. Just don't do it on the face. 

Edited by ri Alban

Konrad von Carstein
1 hour ago, ri Alban said:

Poison and blood usually comes out. The dentist will drill a hole and leave it open so it drains.

DIY job. Heat a Stanley blade with a lighter, stick it into the pus bag and hey presto. Just don't do it on the face. 

Excellent,  I was looking for a good scepcis recipe... :) :lol:

13 hours ago, No Idle Talk said:

Will depend on the dentist, like I said above I've had 2 in the last month or so and honestly didn't feel a thing, was just like having a filling that took a really long time to do. 

No Idle Talk
5 hours ago, ri Alban said:

I think I'll give that a miss. 😄

Auld Reekin'
1 hour ago, Ribble said:

Will depend on the dentist, like I said above I've had 2 in the last month or so and honestly didn't feel a thing, was just like having a filling that took a really long time to do. 

Apologies for going against the blood / pus / excruciating-pain theme of the thread, but I can definitely back this up from my own experiences. I've had root-canal treatment done 3 times before - by different dentists - and each time it's been fine.

You get very nicely numbed-up, there's the usual bit of drilling, and then, as you say, there's an extended period where they're making sure that all of the root is removed and that they leave everything clean and tidy. From what I remember, it's standard practice to put a temporary dressing /  filling once they've finished and then - if everything's OK, which it always was for me - they get you back in to insert a permanent filling.

I've had much worse experiences with some extractions or "wee" fillings done by the real old-school dentists in the dim and distant, who tended to scorn such decadent and unnecessary fripperies such as anaesthetics.

(p.s. I've had my root-canal work done both privately and NHS, most recently by a NHS dentist and the experience was no different. Mind you, my current NHS dentist is very good indeed...)

Edited by Auld Reekin'

I hate the dentist. Hate them.

But Im also quite attracted to my cute dentist which is why i let her stick sharp metal in my mouth.

There's quite a few dental jokes that i want to say but.....I'll leave them for now.

Edited by Der Kaiser