Beards

Muppetboy

I've been growing one for the past 5 years. Obviously trim it every couple of weeks, but only recently started using beard oil / product. Absolutely useless, but it makes my face feel nice!

Unknown user

I grew one in for the first time toward the end of last year, I really like it, never thought I would. They can look scruffy quickly though so I trim frequently, and I keep it fairly short - I don't want to look like a Canadian lumberjack.

I've had one for years, I grew it because I hate shaving and hides my double chin. It is starting to get more grey in it so might get rid of it.

Harry Potter
55 minutes ago, Muppetboy said:

Everywhere nowadays. Must be in the minority not having one now. Any guys growing one the now?

calling my brother in law robinson crusoe now, healthy beard 😃, ive had a tash but a beard, never.

2 hours ago, Muppetboy said:

Everywhere nowadays. Must be in the minority not having one now. Any guys growing one the now?

30 years. Most folk who don't have birds can't grow them. 

JudyJudyJudy
2 hours ago, The Real Maroonblood said:

Not for me.

A two day stubble and I feel manky.

Same here  But i hate shaving. Hate it. 

2 hours ago, Herbert said:

I've had one for years, I grew it because I hate shaving and hides my double chin. It is starting to get more grey in it so might get rid of it.

lol  yes beards really age people i think . I mean older people when they have grey in it.  Not a great look really. 

56 minutes ago, Carl Fredrickson said:

Had a beard for over 12 years. Wasnt keen on it at first but it grew on me. 

lol

The Real Maroonblood
13 minutes ago, JamesM48 said:

I agree about shaving.

JudyJudyJudy
2 minutes ago, The Real Maroonblood said:

I agree about shaving.

Yes .  Hate the razor against the skin the coldness etc.   

23 minutes ago, JamesM48 said:

Yes .  Hate the razor against the skin the coldness etc.   

Try a proper razor. I use a straight razor and I love the feeling of shaving, almost as much as I love the feel of my freshly shaved face.

JudyJudyJudy
7 minutes ago, superjack said:

Try a proper razor. I use a straight razor and I love the feeling of shaving, almost as much as I love the feel of my freshly shaved face.

whats a " straight " razor ?

Love the freshly-shaved feeling but have had a few beards over the years for a variety of reasons.

Face masks are a boon for the 'I really should have a shave but can't be ersed this morning' crew.

JudyJudyJudy
8 minutes ago, Lord BJ said:

I’ve had one for 8+ years. It essentially came about as I hate shaving. I started going for Turkish shaves, to avoid doing it and the gaps became bigger between going to get it done. I keep it pretty short in fairness and pretty well trimmed/maintained. I just prefer it that way or perhaps the wife does 😂. I get it shaved off every so often, which results in the wife and kids being horrified at how fresh faced I look.

@JamesM48 a straight razor is a open razor the one barbers like the sweeny Todd used.  

Cheers. I thought it might be one of them. Bit scared to use one as i might end up in a pie ! 

JudyJudyJudy
Just now, Lord BJ said:

Never done it to myself, but when the barber does, no doubting its the closest shave you can get. The old towel of the face to open up the pores, its a smooth as baby bottom.

Yes i do fancy it as it does do a great close shave and so good for your skin and pores too. 

Wife finally let me grow one after 30 years together. She hated them. Not a full on, just a kind of goatee type that I keep trimmed to a Number 1 with hair clippers. Few speckles of 'spring blonde' in it but now she won't let me shave it off! All my pals think I really suit it.

Unknown user
1 hour ago, JamesM48 said:

lol  yes beards really age people i think . I mean older people when they have grey in it.  Not a great look really. 

lol

This is definitely true but it works for me. I've always been blessed with a young face for my age, but now I'm mid 40s there's only so much younger you can look so I'm quite happy with my beard showing the white bits and looking my age. I'm still a ride.

Robbo-Jambo

In the midst of growing one just now. 

A lot of grey in it but going for the sophisticated look. 😎

I’ve got one just now but will shave it off today as it’s one of those accidental ones where you don’t shave for a bit and realise it’s gone quite a bit beyond stubble. My hair is still mainly brown with a certain amount of grey as as you’d expect for a man in his fifties but my beard and chest hair are almost completely white and have been for years. Some brown still in the moustache and just under my mouth so it almost looks like it’s dirty there from something I’ve eaten or drank. Not a good look and as someone said above it ages me a lot. 
I do get pissed off at the people that seem to think having a beard is some kind of special thing. A couple of younger guys I work with have fairly heavy hipster style beards and are constantly engaged in chats about them to each other. Also any company or shop that is called “the bearded...” gets on my tits. If you want to grow a beard on you go, even better if you can grow a decent one but don’t think it makes you special. And if you can’t grow a proper one don’t bother, hillbilly sex pest isn’t a good look for anyone. 

JudyJudyJudy
38 minutes ago, Smithee said:

This is definitely true but it works for me. I've always been blessed with a young face for my age, but now I'm mid 40s there's only so much younger you can look so I'm quite happy with my beard showing the white bits and looking my age. I'm still a ride.

I’m sure u are still a ride 😂 but a friend of mine has a beard now and looks awful . Aged Him 5/10 years 

Jeffros Furios

Its bad enough being bald but my beard grows white and I either get called Uncle Albert or Gary Glitter .

So if I grow it long enough I dye it dark brown .

Being bald I’ve never really felt a beard compliments or goes with that look. Just doesn’t look good to me.

noticed a lot of relatively young guys growing them too, definitely ‘in’ nowadays 

2 hours ago, Lord BJ said:

Never done it to myself, but when the barber does, no doubting its the closest shave you can get. The old towel of the face to open up the pores, its a smooth as baby bottom.

I've been using a straight razor for a few years now. Never cut my face, apart from the odd nick. Almost sliced my finger off once though posing in the mirror trying to look hard.

The only down side is, if you're after a quick shave, better to keep a normal blade for those occasions.

7 minutes ago, superjack said:

I've been using a straight razor for a few years now. Never cut my face, apart from the odd nick. Almost sliced my finger off once though posing in the mirror trying to look hard.

The only down side is, if you're after a quick shave, better to keep a normal blade for those occasions.

A guy that used to work for me bought himself one as he thought it would be perfect for shaving his head. I don’t think I’ve ever laughed so hard as when we persuaded him to take his hat off the morning after he tried it. Looked like his napper had been attacked by a furious cat. Including some plasters where he’d cut it and couldn’t stop the bleeding. 

5 minutes ago, Tazio said:

A guy that used to work for me bought himself one as he thought it would be perfect for shaving his head. I don’t think I’ve ever laughed so hard as when we persuaded him to take his hat off the morning after he tried it. Looked like his napper had been attacked by a furious cat. Including some plasters where he’d cut it and couldn’t stop the bleeding. 

That sounds beyond stupid. However, you can buy a gadget for holding the open razor for shaving your head. I think I'll just stick to using my clippers for what's left on top.

6 minutes ago, superjack said:

That sounds beyond stupid. However, you can buy a gadget for holding the open razor for shaving your head. I think I'll just stick to using my clippers for what's left on top.

What made it even funnier was the cuts that fluff from inside the hat had stuck to. He didn’t seem to find it as funny as we did. 

7 hours ago, The Real Maroonblood said:

Not for me.

A two day stubble and I feel manky.

Couldn’t agree more with this.

6 hours ago, Muppetboy said:

This for me too

Thirded.  👍

4 hours ago, The Real Maroonblood said:

I agree about shaving.

Agree with this one too, TRM 👍

It’s a bloody pest, but worth a few minutes to avoid going out on the street resembling a dustbin man!

With apologies to any dustbin men who may be looking in.  :biggrin:

4 hours ago, Seymour M Hersh said:

There's no excuse for them. 

Correct.  

I will, however, grudgingly add that a very few amount of folk do actually suit them.  

6 minutes ago, Tazio said:

What made it even funnier was the cuts that fluff from inside the hat had stuck to. He didn’t seem to find it as funny as we did. 

:lol: 

Seymour M Hersh
8 minutes ago, Morgan said:

Correct.  

I will, however, grudgingly add that a very few amount of folk do actually suit them.  

Santa Claus and that's it. 

th-4.jpeg

Harry Potter
2 hours ago, Jeffros Furios said:

Its bad enough being bald but my beard grows white and I either get called Uncle Albert or Gary Glitter .

So if I grow it long enough I dye it dark brown .

better without it, just giving yourself work.

1 hour ago, Tazio said:

Very Funny Reaction GIF

Beards look cool if it's a proper decent beard. 

These ***** that go about with what looks like extremely long scruffy bum fluff however can:getout:

Lockdown look eh? Tbh, I can't grow a full beard. More a scraggy goatee. I usually like a hot towel shave at the barbers every few months with the occasional shot of the beard trimmer in between.

Problem I now have (on top of being a fat lazy ****) is my hair is getting pretty damn long. I shaved last night and the long hair with smooth face combo just looks wrong. I'm not a huge fan of the scraggy goatee, but with the long hair it sort of works.

The beard trend has been good for me. I hate shaving and prefer stubble but being in the stuffy finance world, it used to be frowned upon. Now my weekly number three and wet shave on the neck/cheeks to keep it tidy is acceptable. For once, thanks hipsters/scruffy *******s!

39 minutes ago, Cruyff said:

It's only been in the last hundred years or so that folk have been shaving their pus. 

The Romans, Greeks, and Egyptians beg to differ. 

50 minutes ago, Cruyff said:

It's only been in the last hundred years or so that folk have been shaving their pus. 

🥸 History extra podcast - “to beard or not to beard”. (12 March). Quite interesting. Puritans saw beards as unnecessary decoration. Roundheads didn’t have beards and that was where the name came from. Georgians were clean shaven. The Victorian fashion of beards came from the Crimean war when soldiers were told not to shave due to the amount of infections it was causing.