Palmaplanter Pustulosis

Doctor FinnBarr

41 minutes ago, FinnBarr Saunders said:

https://dermnetnz.org/topics/palmoplantar-pustulosis/

Anyone else suffer from this shit? My life is an ongoing nightmare at the moment and Robbie has nowt to do with it. If anyone can recommend anything to make it go away I'd be grateful.

I decided never to get anything that I cannae pronounce.

Lone Striker
1 hour ago, FinnBarr Saunders said:

Anyone else suffer from this shit? My life is an ongoing nightmare at the moment and Robbie has nowt to do with it. If anyone can recommend anything to make it go away I'd be grateful.

Yikes.  That looks painful and debilitating - feet and hands are rather essential for living !!    Is your GP on the case ?          For many conditions, pharmacists are actually better than GPs for giving practical advice and suggesting ointments/creams etc     Any psoriasis-type condition I've been aware of has required a hydracortizone ointment  like Eumovate (for a limited time only) followed by several application per day of a medicated moisturising cream like Diprobase.       Hope that helps in some way - you have my sympathy, mate. 🤕

I used to get very itchy and red feet, particularly at night. I saw the doctor about an unrelated problem and during blood tests it was found that I have an underactive thyroid. Reading that link you posted, looks like it could be linked? Definitely see a doctor though.

JudyJudyJudy
15 hours ago, FinnBarr Saunders said:

Sorry to hear this. Sounds awful.  Maybe try searches online for support groups etc as they tend to have good advice about help with it. 

I apologise for being rather flippant in my first response. Just had a good nights sleep and the first thing I thought of to be was ashamed of myself  to be the way I was about a fellow JKBers painful ailment, when I was hurting emotionally I got nothing but full  support I hope the opener of the thread gets relief and a cure for his painful ailment as soon as possible.

Doctor FinnBarr
16 hours ago, Lone Striker said:

Yikes.  That looks painful and debilitating - feet and hands are rather essential for living !!    Is your GP on the case ?          For many conditions, pharmacists are actually better than GPs for giving practical advice and suggesting ointments/creams etc     Any psoriasis-type condition I've been aware of has required a hydracortizone ointment  like Eumovate (for a limited time only) followed by several application per day of a medicated moisturising cream like Diprobase.       Hope that helps in some way - you have my sympathy, mate. 🤕

Been attending the GPs since mid December (well mostly the Practice nurse). I've been prescribed more stuff since then than I've had in the last 40 years, steroid tablets, steroid creams, antihistamines, antibiotics and various paraffin based creams  along with Dermo handwashes. Nothing really seems to work. Its cleared from my hands twice now but as soon as my finger tips are almost clear it reappears at the heel of my hand and starts all over again.

It does affect day to day living, can't open jars or bottles, wife has to roll my fags for me and I've been off work since NY, ran out of Sick Pay now but they've allowed me to use the 10 days hols I've got left.

Got an appointment at St Johns Derma Dept on the 31st so maybe they'll get to the bottom of it, hopefully.

Doctor FinnBarr
14 minutes ago, ri Alban said:

Put the lottery on. 

No point, best I've done in several years is £4.80 for 1 number and 2 lucky stars.

19 hours ago, FinnBarr Saunders said:

Hi Mate.

Not exactly linked but my ex wife used to suffer badly from psoriasis, which I believe is linked.

The thing that used to work best for her was Coal Tar cream and shampoo.

Hope you find something that works and gets you sorted asp

All the best

MM

Doctor FinnBarr
20 minutes ago, merrymac said:

Hi Mate.

Not exactly linked but my ex wife used to suffer badly from psoriasis, which I believe is linked.

The thing that used to work best for her was Coal Tar cream and shampoo.

Hope you find something that works and gets you sorted asp

All the best

MM

My full body is covered in something mate, front of my torso looks like I've got chicken pox and my back, legs and arms look like they're covered in hives. These all cause sleep problems as I wake clawing myself, tried going to bed fully clothed with cotton gloves on to no avail. Hands and feet are the big problem.

1 minute ago, FinnBarr Saunders said:

My full body is covered in something mate, front of my torso looks like I've got chicken pox and my back, legs and arms look like they're covered in hives. These all cause sleep problems as I wake clawing myself, tried going to bed fully clothed with cotton gloves on to no avail. Hands and feet are the big problem.

I feel for you. I bumped into someone I hadn’t seen for a couple of years and was shocked he was struggling to walk and had a stick. After asking as delicately as I could what the problem was he said it was psoriasis all over his feet. He’d suffered all his life from it but this was a new development in his 40’s. He gets periods of remission and flare ups. It makes him very self conscious as he’s a secondary school teacher. 

46 minutes ago, FinnBarr Saunders said:

Been attending the GPs since mid December (well mostly the Practice nurse). I've been prescribed more stuff since then than I've had in the last 40 years, steroid tablets, steroid creams, antihistamines, antibiotics and various paraffin based creams  along with Dermo handwashes. Nothing really seems to work. Its cleared from my hands twice now but as soon as my finger tips are almost clear it reappears at the heel of my hand and starts all over again.

It does affect day to day living, can't open jars or bottles, wife has to roll my fags for me and I've been off work since NY, ran out of Sick Pay now but they've allowed me to use the 10 days hols I've got left.

Got an appointment at St Johns Derma Dept on the 31st so maybe they'll get to the bottom of it, hopefully.

I noticed it says in the link you gave that the majority of people who get it are, or were, smokers. Have you thought about giving up the fags, to see if that improves things?  Though I'd imagine that might be more difficult if you're stressed.

It sounds horrendous, fingers crossed that the hospital will be able to help. Good luck.

mrmarkus1981

My Mrs developed this a while back, she has rheumatoid arthritis and takes injections. She was given all the creams under the sun for this that didn't help at all. 

Paid £200 for a private consultation and the guy knew straight away what it was. It turns out the Jag she was taking for her arthritis had 'tnf blockers'. So they changed the injection to a different one and it went away almost instantly.

34 minutes ago, FinnBarr Saunders said:

She was the same right down to her scalp as well. Try the cream it used to work for her, does stink a bit and she used to cover the area with bandages and cotton gloves to make it more effective. The hardest bit for her was trying not to itch and make it worse.

I fully sympathise, hope you find something soon.

Doctor FinnBarr
9 minutes ago, merrymac said:

She was the same right down to her scalp as well. Try the cream it used to work for her, does stink a bit and she used to cover the area with bandages and cotton gloves to make it more effective. The hardest bit for her was trying not to itch and make it worse.

Got it on the scalp as well, wife describes it a looking like "cradle cap".

Just now, FinnBarr Saunders said:

Got it on the scalp as well, wife describes it a looking like "cradle cap".

Try the shampoo then, it definitely helped 👍

Doctor FinnBarr
30 minutes ago, mrmarkus1981 said:

My Mrs developed this a while back, she has rheumatoid arthritis and takes injections. She was given all the creams under the sun for this that didn't help at all. 

Paid £200 for a private consultation and the guy knew straight away what it was. It turns out the Jag she was taking for her arthritis had 'tnf blockers'. So they changed the injection to a different one and it went away almost instantly.

Point me in the right direction mate, £200 would be a small price to pay.

magic roundabout

I feel your pain.... I did suffer from chronic psoriasis for many years. I think I've tried every treatment available.  Steroid creams didnt work for me in fact it made it worse. 

The only treatment that work was uv light... I used to go to the hospital for treatment (The spectrum of light they use is different from sunbeds). These days I make sure I get plenty of sun (as much as you can in Scotland ).  I've not had a flair up in over 10 years. 

Ps I've found you need to be fairly pushy with GPS you should ask to be reffered to demartology department. They are the experts. 

Best of luck. 

Doctor FinnBarr
2 minutes ago, merrymac said:

Try the shampoo then, it definitely helped 👍

I will mate but as its not sore its at the back of the queue

19 minutes ago, merrymac said:

I’m quite interested in this post, Mac.

Would you (or your ex-wife) say that scratching/picking the scalp actually makes this condition worse?

Thanks

Doctor FinnBarr
3 minutes ago, magic roundabout said:

I feel your pain.... I did suffer from chronic psoriasis for many years. I think I've tried every treatment available.  Steroid creams didnt work for me in fact it made it worse. 

The only treatment that work was uv light... I used to go to the hospital for treatment (The spectrum of light they use is different from sunbeds). These days I make sure I get plenty of sun (as much as you can in Scotland ).  I've not had a flair up in over 10 years. 

Ps I've found you need to be fairly pushy with GPS you should ask to be reffered to demartology department. They are the experts. 

Best of luck. 

I don't know if this is all linked in mate but I suffer from Polymorphic Light Erruptions ie. I'm allergic to direct sunlight. When we go to Turkey, Tenerife or wherever I've got to wear factor Duffel coat and sit in the shade. That plus antihistamines keep it at bay for maybe a week then the barsteward finds me.

mrmarkus1981

No worries bud, hope you get it sorted. The Mrs would greet just walking down the stairs. Given tubs and tubs and more tubs of cream, was like a mummy half the time with bandages on. This boy knew instantly what was wrong. I reckon creams are just the cheapest option for the NHS. A hit and hope for them with skin conditions

1 hour ago, Morgan said:

I’m quite interested in this post, Mac.

Would you (or your ex-wife) say that scratching/picking the scalp actually makes this condition worse?

Thanks

Hi Morgan

Long time no speak hope you are well.

Was a while ago now but definitely scratching made it more itchy and inflamed, and it took far longer to clear up if she was itching it.

Cotton gloves on at night as she used to scratch in her sleep.

It was psoriasis that she had.

Greedy Jambo

Antihistamines can help with the itching. 

I suffer from eczema, it can be an absolute nightmare at times. 

Also had itching of the scalp, doctor said it could be stress related.

It get's worse the more you itch and can turn into a habit. 

Obviously having dry skin doesn't help, and that can be made worse from the usual suspects like alcohol, coffee etc 

Edited by Greedy Jambo

Lone Striker
5 hours ago, FinnBarr Saunders said:

Very frustrating for you (and painful too).   Dermatologists are the experts in skin conditions, so hopefully they can narrow it down a bit and  identify what's causing it, and how best to treat it.   

One possibility is you've got a severe  auto-immune syndrome, where the body keeps on producing cells to fight against what it  wrongly thinks are abnormal or infected cells -  lupus, psoriasis and rheumatoid arthritis are examples.    There are treatments to help suppress this - but it would also suppress your immune response in general (including the effect of Covid vaccine), so maybe  not advisable at the moment.

Good luck at St. Johns.  👍

2 hours ago, merrymac said:

Hi Morgan

Long time no speak hope you are well.

Was a while ago now but definitely scratching made it more itchy and inflamed, and it took far longer to clear up if she was itching it.

Cotton gloves on at night as she used to scratch in her sleep.

It was psoriasis that she had.

Hi Mac,

thanks for your response.

We are both well, thanks.  Hope you are doing well too?

Speak soon.

Doctor FinnBarr
18 hours ago, Lemongrab said:

I noticed it says in the link you gave that the majority of people who get it are, or were, smokers. Have you thought about giving up the fags, to see if that improves things?  Though I'd imagine that might be more difficult if you're stressed.

It sounds horrendous, fingers crossed that the hospital will be able to help. Good luck.

I've tried to stop on a dozen occasions but after smoking for 45 years now I just get on with it.

Hate to tell you, but the fags definitely will not be helping.  It's the same with alcohol, and a high sugar diet.

I suffer from pretty bad eczema all over, and I go through spells of not being able to control it very well.  I get it all over my back, and down my arms and legs, and it just does not go away without taking baths with sea salt, and steroid creams.  I've had it all my life, but there are definitely things that make it worse.  

If I have a night on the bevvy, the next 2 or 3 days my skin will be agony, red and inflamed, and I get loads of those tiny little "water blister" things.  If I have a bit of a sugar bender, the same thing happens.  I had a few weeks where I avoided sugar as much as possible (not even in tea and coffee) and didn't touch alcohol, and my skin just about cleared up completely.  It's a hard commitment, and I find it hard to keep that up all the time, and the slightest slip up sets me back.

For your hands, get some cotton gloves out of Boots (they're usually next to the plasters) and load yourself up with whatever emollient cream you use before you go to bed (Diprobase is good, because it's quite thick).  Pop your hands in, and after about 30 minutes, reapply.  The gloves will absorb some of the cream, so you want to make sure your countering that.  Avoid contact with everything like Fairy Liquid, and other irritants - which is easier said than done with the amount of handwashing and alcohol gels we need to use these days.  Even just wear the gloves all day.  The last time I was referred to Dermatology, they even suggested putting cream on and wearing vinyl gloves all day, to make sure that your skin is staying moisturised all the time.  The only issue with that, is the petroleum in most creams slowly reacts with the vinyl, making it go hard and brittle, and you'll go through a pair every hour or so :lol:  But it definitely helps!

Take high-strength Vitamin D supplements, and things like Cod Liver Oil - really anything you can to see if it helps.  Potentially CBD Oil might help you, I've read people online swear by it, but I found it had very little effect on my skin, if any.

The problem with skin conditions is there is no quick fix, and it might take you a week or two to get things back under something that resembles control.  Absolutely get on to your GP and get referred to Dermatology, and keep pestering them.  Issues with your skin is a nightmare situation as there is absolutely no escape, and you are constantly reminded of it no matter what you do.

I hope you find something that works for you :thumbsup:

Having had psoriasis for years as has my old man I found that what worked for me didn't for him and vice versa, skin conditions are very much individual and it really does become trial and error.

I went through all the creams and tar shampoo's etc but rather than finding what helped with psoriasis I found what shampoo etc irritated it and then avoided them, eventually finding a few that were standard shampoo's (not hypoallergenic/fragrance free or anything like that) that didn't irritate it. Then as my psoriasis wasn't being irritated by shampoo/shower gel it started to get better which meant i wasn't stressing about it as much (stress really is a trigger for it) and now other than the occasional flaky scalp I'm more or less psoriasis free and have been for years.

My advice would be to change shampoo, shower gel & soap, if it gets worse or doesn't improve change again and keep doing that until you find what's right for you.

• 2 weeks later...
Doctor FinnBarr

Just a wee update folks, after an appointment with a dermatologist at St Johns she reckons its more dermatitis than excema based. I'm having a wee biopsy in 3 weeks to see if they can  sus it out properly.

As an aside, she told me there's a massive increase in key workers being blighted by skin problems caused by stress.

• 1 month later...
Doctor FinnBarr

Update, still waiting on a biopsy, so much for 3 weeks. Full blown skin condition has now came back plus I'm struggling to walk/stand due to my feet and ankles swelling so much. When will this shit end?