Dug’s baws dilemma

heartgarfunkel

heartgarfunkel

Barney, our 7 month old black lab, has been booked in by the wife to get his nads removed next month. Not just because he’s a Hearts dug (named after the great Battles Jr. obviously), but because he’s a man, I can’t get my heid round putting him through that. If I have to, I’ll cancel the appointment to save him and face the wrath when she gets home and he’s still attached to his danglers. However, maybe she’s right, he’s trying to hump any bursd dog in sight, is hyper even though exercised loads etc. 

Have been on all the forums etc and it’s 50:50 pros and cons. They only advice that will matter in the end is that received from fellow Jam Tarts with experiences and opinions on the matter. 

Barney’s baws - to save or not to save? 

Edited by heartgarfunkel

• heartgarfunkel changed the title to Dug’s baws dilemma

Let him keep his balls, I say. He has to have something to lick in order to take away the taste of dog food.

His hyper-activity may have nothing to do with him having balls. If he's in general good health, just keep him as he is.

heartgarfunkel
1 minute ago, redjambo said:

Let him keep his balls, I say. He has to have something to lick in order to take away the taste of dog food.

His hyper-activity may have nothing to do with him having balls. If he's in general good health, just keep him as he is.

Thanks mate. From me, and Barney. He loves his nuts. 

Had my black Labs chopped of at 6 months, is he less hyper no, but he never makes a move to hump another dog although is partial to being over friendly to the odd cushion😁

Plus side having them off is removing the risk of testicular cancer👍 

heartgarfunkel
5 minutes ago, Jambo314 said:

Had my black Labs chopped of at 6 months, is he less hyper no, but he never makes a move to hump another dog although is partial to being over friendly to the odd cushion😁

Thanks, good to hear he’s still getting a bit of soft furnishings action! 😉😁

CavySlaveJambo

The pros and cons are iffy in dogs. There may be benefits. There may not. In bitches it is a different matter.  

No matter what the vets say 7 months is too young.  He should be at least 1 - ideally closer to 18 months or 2 years to allow them to properly develop physically and mentally. 

heartgarfunkel
13 minutes ago, CavySlaveJambo said:

The pros and cons are iffy in dogs. There may be benefits. There may not. In bitches it is a different matter.  

No matter what the vets say 7 months is too young.  He should be at least 1 - ideally closer to 18 months or 2 years to allow them to properly develop physically and mentally. 

Thanks - totally agree. 

Our black lab ozzy was 3yo before we got him done. 

He had virtually zero recall and, when off lead just went off. Had to pick him up from livingston police station twice (luckily picked up by dog lovers not gypsy dog fighting types() 

2 weeks after op he was off lead all the time, all in all a much better and happier dog. 

Fwiw my opinion is, wait until he's fully developed into a physically adult dog then have the vet de-knacker him. 

He'll still be able to luck his cock so lack of knackers won't impede his licking pleasure. 

3 minutes ago, muldoon74 said:

Our black lab ozzy was 3yo before we got him done. 

He had virtually zero recall and, when off lead just went off. Had to pick him up from livingston police station twice (luckily picked up by dog lovers not gypsy dog fighting types() 

2 weeks after op he was off lead all the time, all in all a much better and happier dog. 

Fwiw my opinion is, wait until he's fully developed into a physically adult dog then have the vet de-knacker him. 

He'll still be able to luck his cock so lack of knackers won't impede his licking pleasure. 

That is the correct answer, ours kept running away and ended up out all night a few times looking for his hole. wouldn't go past the front lawn without us after he lost his nuts,

Our mutt kept his nads for 5 years. We only had them removed as a chemical imbalance was causing him prostate issues. Nads gone and issues resided and he is back to himself which is an absolute radge. He is a miniture daschund. 

He had to wear a body suit to stop him licking the wound (we refused the 'cone of shame'). At his age, the skin had stretched so it still looks like he has his balls, just the sac is now smaller :) 

Edited by cuthy2k

Both our dogs were denutted, didn't seem to bother them at all. The wife thought it was a great idea especially when I allowed her to watch TV one night and she saw the word vasectomy.  Of course she thought that a great idea also, when I rejected that she came up with another frightening word abstinence.  After the op very time I looked at my big German Shepherd he had a sly wee smile on his face, and I am sure started saying Bro' when he barked.

heartgarfunkel

Thank you SO much to everyone - what a good laugh the replies are, and great balance as well as lots of sage advice. Shared the essence with the Mrs and Barney keeps his baws - for the time being! 

Stuart Lyon

My old lab Domi was hyper and would follow me everywhere in the house! I got fed up with it and took him to the vet who said I'll give you some valium.I said is that for me or him? It was for him but it didn't have any effect on his behaviour. I took him back to the vet who then recommended I get the dog castrated which I did at a cost of over a £100. Yes you guessed correctly never made a blind bit of difference.

Auld Reekin'
35 minutes ago, Stuart Lyon said:

My old lab Domi was hyper and would follow me everywhere in the house! I got fed up with it and took him to the vet who said I'll give you some valium.I said is that for me or him? It was for him but it didn't have any effect on his behaviour. I took him back to the vet who then recommended I get the dog castrated which I did at a cost of over a £100. Yes you guessed correctly never made a blind bit of difference.

Trying to hump you?   :ohmy: :huh:

Dagger Is Back

It’s a difficult question but I agree that he’s too young at the moment.

Our labs 9 months and the wife says he’s keeping his nuts as all her other dogs kept theirs. 

We’ve tried to take a lot of factors into account like his humping activity and behaviour.

The testicular cancer risk is obviously a consideration too.

Given the wife has kept his baby teeth and whiskers I’m quite relieved by her decision to be honest.

🤣

heartgarfunkel
9 minutes ago, Dagger Is Back said:

Our labs 9 months and the wife says he’s keeping his nuts as all her other dogs kept theirs. 

We’ve tried to take a lot of factors into account like his humping activity and behaviour.

Given the wife has kept his baby teeth and whiskers I’m quite relieved by her decision to be honest.

🤣

😂 

Our lurcher was 1 when he went to the vet and came home 2 stones lighter.

Have nothing to recommend or otherwise regarding labs - just wanted to get that one-liner in :D 

heartgarfunkel
13 minutes ago, Boof said:

Have nothing to recommend or otherwise regarding labs - just wanted to get that one-liner in :D 

😂👍🏼

Dagger Is Back
2 hours ago, Boof said:

🤣

J.T.F.Robertson
6 hours ago, Sharpie said:

Both our dogs were denutted, didn't seem to bother them at all. The wife thought it was a great idea especially when I allowed her to watch TV one night and she saw the word vasectomy.  Of course she thought that a great idea also, when I rejected that she came up with another frightening word abstinence.  After the op very time I looked at my big German Shepherd he had a sly wee smile on his face, and I am sure started saying Bro' when he barked.

Much underappreciated post. (gave me a wee laugh anyhow)

jack D and coke
16 hours ago, heartgarfunkel said:

Barney, our 7 month old black lab, has been booked in by the wife to get his nads removed next month. Not just because he’s a Hearts dug (named after the great Battles Jr. obviously), but because he’s a man, I can’t get my heid round putting him through that. If I have to, I’ll cancel the appointment to save him and face the wrath when she gets home and he’s still attached to his danglers. However, maybe she’s right, he’s trying to hump any bursd dog in sight, is hyper even though exercised loads etc. 

Have been on all the forums etc and it’s 50:50 pros and cons. They only advice that will matter in the end is that received from fellow Jam Tarts with experiences and opinions on the matter. 

Barney’s baws - to save or not to save? 

I had the same good few years ago. German Shephard and he was either humping everything in sight of fighting it he was a nightmare to take out. Seen a dog hundreds of yards away and he was offski and plenty embarrassing moments trying to pull him off another dog. 
Took about 3 months of his baws being in a tin but it really calmed him down and still a great dog. 

Leave the dugs baws where they are, every time you think about getting them chopped just take a minute and think how you would feel if some big ******* hacked yours off.

55 minutes ago, Bull's-eye said:

Once owned a wee dug that was born chucky less.

Named him Chuckles. 

Are you sure that chuckles was actually a male duh?

5 minutes ago, superjack said:

Are you sure that chuckles was actually a male duh?

It was his Chuckys that where missing, the rest was intact. 

Edited by Bull's-eye

18 hours ago, Jambo314 said:

We once owned a Dutch Spaniel who'd hump anything even after having his nuts removed he still liked the odd cushion. I think all pets are entitled to a one shag before being snipped or stitched up.

Brick Tamland

My dog isn't quite 6 months old yet and I have made the decision to let him keep his baws forever. The testicle cancer rates are minimal as are all the other medical stats that he runs the risk of getting by keeping them.  Having worked with vets in the past I'm happy with my decision and I'm sure he will be too.

Eldar Hadzimehmedovic

Surprised at some of these answers. I thought it was a no brainer.  Too old, and, let's face it, jealous, to be chasing after a shag-obsessed dog. Snip every time for me. Well him, but you know what I mean. 

20 hours ago, heartgarfunkel said:

Thank you SO much to everyone - what a good laugh the replies are, and great balance as well as lots of sage advice. Shared the essence with the Mrs and Barney keeps his baws - for the time being! 

:thumb: Raising a glass of fine malt to Barney's baws as I post.

heartgarfunkel
18 hours ago, Dagger Is Back said:

🤣

😂 

heartgarfunkel
1 hour ago, redjambo said:

:thumb: Raising a glass of fine malt to Barney's baws as I post.

Going to smash a keg of Stella in the Perfect Draft to toast his gonads reprieve! 

🐕🍒🍻