Car advice

Carl Fredrickson

Carl Fredrickson

It is that time again when I am looking to replace my car. Five years ago the JKB faithful were very helpful and once more I am after advice. 

The last time I opted for a Nissan Note (dont laugh) and it has been a great car. However life has moved on, my two kids are getting bigger and I am also a carer for a parent. 

I am looking for a 3-4 year old larger family car with a £13k budget. I am not too fussy about 0 to 60 times or cornering at speed performance as I am a slower driver than in my youth. Reliable, practical and comfy is now what I am after (not just in cars...)

Requirements are:

decent size boot (my 10 year old son puts displays on at Lego events so we need room for boxes of Lego)

a bit higher than a Note for easier access for my elderly mum. 

reasonable running costs

I would be looking to buy from a garage rather then private. My initial thought was to move up to a Qashaqi but I have looked at dozens of other makes and models since then. 

My budget has allowed me to look at BMW and Audi. I quite like some Skodas and have had good experiences with Ford in the past. 

Historically I have been told to avoid French cars but having read a lot recently, it looks like they arent as bad as they maybe were years ago. Has anyone recent experience of them?

As always, thanks in advance. 

Carl Fredrickson
5 minutes ago, Cruyff said:

I'd be looking at a low emissions car that you don't have to pay road tax on. 👍

Any car registered after April 2017 other than electric has a minimum tax of £150 (or so I am told and this appears to be the case when searching on Auto Trader). 

Electric cars cant be considered as I dont have a driveway but a parking bay at the front of my house. 

I just got rid of my old Ford Mondeo. Great car, cheap road tax, huge boot, Good mpg (50+) and the passenger seat can be raised for easy access...

Quite a lot of toys in it too that made the car really comfortable to drive.

Carl Fredrickson
6 minutes ago, stu said:

I just got rid of my old Ford Mondeo. Great car, cheap road tax, huge boot, Good mpg (50+) and the passenger seat can be raised for easy access...

Quite a lot of toys in it too that made the car really comfortable to drive.

I did look (online) at Mondeos but the seats looked low down. Will check out what you say Re the passenger seat. Do you know if that was just the model you had? Cheers

6 minutes ago, highlandjambo3 said:

I just bought a Mazda CX5, great car.....you’ll get one for 13k 

my neighbour is on his second one of them and really likes it

here is a 16 reg one with 40k on the clock for £13.5k from arnold clark, you would get them down to £13k but it is just an example

https://www.arnoldclark.com/used-cars/mazda/cx-5/2-0-se-l-nav-5dr/2016/ref/arncp-u-16699

Edited by milky_26

4 minutes ago, Carl Fredrickson said:

I did look (online) at Mondeos but the seats looked low down. Will check out what you say Re the passenger seat. Do you know if that was just the model you had? Cheers

Hhmm, not sure to be honest. Mine was a ford Mondeo titanium tdci. It was only a 1.6 but that was powerful enough for me.

Carl Fredrickson
7 minutes ago, highlandjambo3 said:

I just bought a Mazda CX5, great car.....you’ll get one for 13k 

I only found 2 on Autotrader both high mileage but the Mazda site has 3 that I will have a look at. What are the good/bad points of it? Thanks

Carl Fredrickson
4 minutes ago, milky_26 said:

my neighbour is on his second one of them and really likes it

here is a 16 reg one with 40k on the clock for £13.5k from arnold clark, you would get them down to £13k but it is just an example

https://www.arnoldclark.com/used-cars/mazda/cx-5/2-0-se-l-nav-5dr/2016/ref/arncp-u-16699

Thanks for the link. I think one of my mates had one (I know he has had other Mazdas) so I might give him a call.

Carl Fredrickson
1 minute ago, stu said:

Hhmm, not sure to be honest. Mine was a ford Mondeo titanium tdci. It was only a 1.6 but that was powerful enough for me.

Cheers. I am not after a huge engine so a 1.6 would be plenty for me too. Thanks for letting me know your model. 

highlandjambo3
15 minutes ago, Carl Fredrickson said:

I only found 2 on Autotrader both high mileage but the Mazda site has 3 that I will have a look at. What are the good/bad points of it? Thanks

No bad points so far (only had it a month), 18 reg...loads of gizmos and gadgets and drives great, it’s the 2.2 sport.

Carl Fredrickson
8 minutes ago, stu said:

Found this....

https://www.ntrcars.co.uk/used-ford-mondeo-haverfordwest-pembrokeshire-2726786

It's a 2.0L and it does look like the tax has been upped but still not bad for under £13k.....

Will give you some idea of what you can get.

Cheers Stu. A quick check on Autotrader for the model has a few. All of them are well under my top budget. The boot is a very decent size. I looked at the estate and I could probably fit a coffin in it :)

None of them provided the fact that the passenger seat could be raised, which could be a selling point for them. 

Carl Fredrickson
5 minutes ago, highlandjambo3 said:

No bad points so far (only had it a month), 18 reg...loads of gizmos and gadgets and drives great, it’s the 2.2 sport.

Cheers. A very nice looking one on the Mazda site but it is in Southport. I am going to call one of my mates who I am sure had one on lease for 3 years. Get his thoughts on them too. 

18 minutes ago, Carl Fredrickson said:

Thanks for the link. I think one of my mates had one (I know he has had other Mazdas) so I might give him a call.

I had a Mazda 3 Sports a few years back and it's the best car I ever owned - it never cost me a penny for parts (just a new battery).  My lad was driving it with 120K on the clock and it was still sound. 

I'm def in the CX5 camp and will probably splash the cash on one later this year.

You don't say what kind of mileage you expect to do - my lad's mate bought a newish BMW with high mileage and paid around 10K for a 3 or 4  Y O  model.  Absolute stunner. 

You mentioned the Qashqai (well rated , lots of good reviews) - Renault have their badge on it  - the Captur.

Also check out the Seat Ateca - great reviews on this - and this might get the nod if I can't get a good deal on a CX5. 

Carl Fredrickson
4 minutes ago, NANOJAMBO said:

I had a Mazda 3 Sports a few years back and it's the best car I ever owned - it never cost me a penny for parts (just a new battery).  My lad was driving it with 120K on the clock and it was still sound. 

I'm def in the CX5 camp and will probably splash the cash on one later this year.

You don't say what kind of mileage you expect to do - my lad's mate bought a newish BMW with high mileage and paid around 10K for a 3 or 4  Y O  model.  Absolute stunner. 

You mentioned the Qashqai (well rated , lots of good reviews) - Renault have their badge on it  - the Captur.

Also check out the Seat Ateca - great reviews on this - and this might get the nod if I can't get a good deal on a CX5. 

Many thanks for this. After lockdown the car will be used to commute 10 miles into Edinburgh (most of it on A68) but weekends will be days out with the kids and trips to relatives in Yorkshire. Mileage per year would be about 8-10k. 

I have looked at the Captur but dont know anyone who have had one to ask their experience (I know we can have different experience with the same car). 

I havent looked at Seat but will check them out too. The Mazda is a big possibility now that it has been mentioned. One of the reasons I posted as I want my search to be as wide as possible. 

Much appreciated.

William H. Bonney

I drive a Skoda Octavia 1.6. Very spacious boot. Plenty room in the car. I’m 6ft 5 and people can sit behind me. 

I P Knightley

This recommendation is going to be dull as **** but I've had a VW Touran for a few years and it does everything that a family car needs to do. Load up like a wagon for holidays; minibus for kids' football; drives well on the motorway and compact enough round town. It's got just under 60k on the clock and the only thing wrong with it is the steering wheel control for the volume on the radio doesn't work any more.

Can't wait for the family to grow up and for me to get rid of it but can't complain about it as a functional car.

Carl Fredrickson
8 minutes ago, Furious Styles said:

I drive a Skoda Octavia 1.6. Very spacious boot. Plenty room in the car. I’m 6ft 5 and people can sit behind me. 

A workmate has one and loves it. Was looking at the Yeti too.

I had a kia ceed estate 1.6 diesel, It was a great car. It sat on the motorway doing 60+ mpg and cost peanuts to insure and tax. You could pick one up for about 7-8k that's under 5years old and low mileage. 

Carl Fredrickson
10 minutes ago, I P Knightley said:

This recommendation is going to be dull as **** but I've had a VW Touran for a few years and it does everything that a family car needs to do. Load up like a wagon for holidays; minibus for kids' football; drives well on the motorway and compact enough round town. It's got just under 60k on the clock and the only thing wrong with it is the steering wheel control for the volume on the radio doesn't work any more.

Can't wait for the family to grow up and for me to get rid of it but can't complain about it as a functional car.

That ticks a lot of my boxes too! Will have a look at second hand prices. With it being a 7 seater, was their much difference in insurance cost?

Carl Fredrickson
3 minutes ago, Herbert said:

I had a kia ceed estate 1.6 diesel, It was a great car. It sat on the motorway doing 60+ mpg and cost peanuts to insure and tax. You could pick one up for about 7-8k that's under 5years old and low mileage. 

Thanks also. Another with a decent size boot. Are Kias the make with the 7 year warranty?

What can I get for £10, 000/£11,000. I'm looking for an automatic for the mrs, 4/5 doors. 

I quite like the hyundia tucson. 

Carl Fredrickson
1 minute ago, ri Alban said:

What can I get for £10, 000/£11,000. I'm looking for an automatic for the mrs, 4/5 doors. 

I have been looking at Auto Trader, Parkers and WhatCar as well as individual websites of dealers. Good luck with your hunt. 

I P Knightley
1 minute ago, Carl Fredrickson said:

That ticks a lot of my boxes too! Will have a look at second hand prices. With it being a 7 seater, was their much difference in insurance cost?

I didn't compare with five seaters at the time of buying since we'd decided on having a seven seater when we started looking. Personally, I'd have chosen an S-Max, which is a bit more like a normal car but the current Mrs Knightley is not a confident driver and found it easier to manouevre the Touran. Ours came with the hands-free auto-parking function/gimmick. She's scared of that so doesn't use it and I park better than it so don't use it either.

Mine is the 1.6 diesel (polluting version) and, come October, I'll face a charge when I take it into the Ultra-Low Emission Zone which is creeping out from central London. I'll probably hold onto it, though as £12.50 per trip is a lot less than buying a new car.

And it's maroon, natch!

Just now, Carl Fredrickson said:

I have been looking at Auto Trader, Parkers and WhatCar as well as individual websites of dealers. Good luck with your hunt. 

Cheers, and the same to yourself. 

I P Knightley
3 minutes ago, ri Alban said:

The next car I have will be automatic.

Got a Fiat with an auto box for Mrs Knightley and it's just brilliant. I'll never go back to manual now.

highlandjambo3
9 minutes ago, I P Knightley said:

I didn't compare with five seaters at the time of buying since we'd decided on having a seven seater when we started looking. Personally, I'd have chosen an S-Max, which is a bit more like a normal car but the current Mrs Knightley is not a confident driver and found it easier to manouevre the Touran. Ours came with the hands-free auto-parking function/gimmick. She's scared of that so doesn't use it and I park better than it so don't use it either.

Mine is the 1.6 diesel (polluting version) and, come October, I'll face a charge when I take it into the Ultra-Low Emission Zone which is creeping out from central London. I'll probably hold onto it, though as £12.50 per trip is a lot less than buying a new car.

And it's maroon, natch!

Ha.....forgot to say.....had the entrance to the driveway extended by a couple of feet so the mrs didn’t hit the wall with the MX5....used to have a pug 307 and she managed to scrape the side....dizzy mair.....hope she doesn’t spend time in here 🥷

Carl Fredrickson
13 minutes ago, I P Knightley said:

And it's maroon, natch!

Thanks. A couple of cars I have looked at had the auto parking thing which I have never had and the thought of it gives me the fear. I had a CMax a number of years ago and the SMax has been in my thoughts too. So many thinks to consider but I really appreciate your comment and sharing of your experience. 

27 minutes ago, Carl Fredrickson said:

A workmate has one and loves it. Was looking at the Yeti too.

I was going to suggest the Yeti, ticks all the boxes for you. 

Carl Fredrickson
4 minutes ago, Muppetboy said:

Got myself a Ford kuga titanium 65 plate with 40 000 miles for just over 10k in December. More than happy with it. 

The Kuga is a car that I have no experience of but there are plenty available. Looks a decent size too. 

Carl Fredrickson
Just now, Tazio said:

I was going to suggest the Yeti, ticks all the boxes for you. 

A relative I have no contact with bought one when they first came out and when I saw the interior the space was impressive. He has a gardening business and a family so space was important to him too. 

Octavia, Leon estate, Kodiaq, tarraco (pushing the budget maybe). Kia Sportage maybe. 

41 minutes ago, ri Alban said:

This is going to be a bit of a restriction on choice, I'd imagine. 

44 minutes ago, I P Knightley said:

The next car I have will be automatic.

Got a Fiat with an auto box for Mrs Knightley and it's just brilliant. I'll never go back to manual now.

Fiat? Bud

Vauxhall Insignia? I've got the 2.0 diesel SRi. Huge boot, 60+ mpg on motorway runs, £30 a year road tax. Down side it has a vauxhall badge! I went from an M3 to the Insignia so it was a massive downgrade in every department (other than running costs obviously) but honestly its a great car. In fact its the longest I've ever kept a car.

Carl Fredrickson
16 minutes ago, Jamie Walker Tash said:

Vauxhall Insignia? I've got the 2.0 diesel SRi. Huge boot, 60+ mpg on motorway runs, £30 a year road tax. Down side it has a vauxhall badge! I went from an M3 to the Insignia so it was a massive downgrade in every department (other than running costs obviously) but honestly its a great car. In fact its the longest I've ever kept a car.

Thats good to hear. I know someone and his job is to look after the Vauxhall mechanic trainees. He has done this job for years and he told me, up until recently, to avoid Vauxhalls (for years he wouldnt use his company car). I will check out the Insignia. 

26 minutes ago, Carl Fredrickson said:

Thats good to hear. I know someone and his job is to look after the Vauxhall mechanic trainees. He has done this job for years and he told me, up until recently, to avoid Vauxhalls (for years he wouldnt use his company car). I will check out the Insignia. 

I've had mines 3 years now, 16 plate on 60,000 miles and its never missed a beat, touch wood! 

Carl Fredrickson
4 minutes ago, Jamie Walker Tash said:

I've had mines 3 years now, 16 plate on 60,000 miles and its never missed a beat, touch wood! 

🤞:thumbsup:

Carl Fredrickson
21 minutes ago, Barack said:

I'll be changing my Kadjar in September. Been very good, and excellent on economy. Probably change it to an 18 month, to a two year old Volvo V60.

41, in May. Comfort, automatic & adaptive cruise. That's all I want these days.

May I ask Mr President, what were the pros and cons of the Kadjar? It is another car I have looked at but dont know anybody that has/had one. Thanks

Carl Fredrickson
4 minutes ago, Barack said:

Yeah, no worries. Mine's a 1.6Dci Dynamique Nav.

Pro's: Economy. Town 45-46mpg. Urban 55-57mpg. I've taken it from down here in Wales, to my parents' house past Callander & got 60mpg out of it. 70mph with cruise control for most of the way. Loads of boot space. Comfy. Like driving a sofa. See above Scotland journey. Sips engine oil. £30 tax a year.

Cons: Niggly starter motor issues when first had it, and electrical issues. All sorted by Renault under warranty & were very good in fairness. Touch wood...nothing else, in over 3 years of owning it.

I'd look at the new version out of curiosity when it's out this year. But I'll end up getting the Volvo. 

There will be some good deals on top spec virtually new models (old version) by the end of the year. They'll have slightly less powerful engines than mine however. About 115bhp. Mine is 130bhp. Not blistering, but does the job even loaded to the roof.

Thank you very much indeed. That is much appreciated. My only experience with Renault was a Megan I had a number of years ago. It was a great car, very high spec but the electrical issues I was having caused me to trade it in. Renault were great in fixing them all but it was an inconvenience each time they happened (cd player, windows, start motor....). 

Carl Fredrickson
11 minutes ago, Barack said:

Think I just got unlucky. Was more an annoyance having to drive into Cardiff about three times, when it could've been fixed the first. 

Reliability for the Kadjar & the newer Clio's these days, are very good in fairness.  Compared to some more... "premium" brands' standards. Renault has benefitted working with Nissan these last few years, imo. 

I wouldn't not recommend at least looking at a Kadjar, if folk look at it in a list of possibles.

My Megan was an 05 plate and I bought it when it was 3 years old. I have heard that the French makes are a lot more reliable now.

My initial thoughts were to go for a Qashqai and the Kadjar is very similar. The only thing I cant see on the Kadjar is that one of the Qashqai models have a heated windscreen which appeals to me. It is normally Fords that have them and it is handy to have in winter. 

So many great suggestions on this thread to make me look at lots of different cars. Thanks for your input. 

Doctor FinnBarr
3 hours ago, Carl Fredrickson said:

Thanks. A couple of cars I have looked at had the auto parking thing which I have never had and the thought of it gives me the fear. I had a CMax a number of years ago and the SMax has been in my thoughts too. So many thinks to consider but I really appreciate your comment and sharing of your experience. 

I've got a CMax just now, bought it to take my 95 yo dad out due to the adjustable seat and room to get his wheelchair into the boot. Then lockdown hit, he's been in it twice as he can't escape his carehome now.

Carl Fredrickson
3 minutes ago, FinnBarr Saunders said:

I've got a CMax just now, bought it to take my 95 yo dad out due to the adjustable seat and room to get his wheelchair into the boot. Then lockdown hit, he's been in it twice as he can't escape his carehome now.

Thats a bummer. Similar with my mum but she cant escape my house now.... Hopefully things will be different come summer for all of us. 

Edited by Carl Fredrickson

Doctor FinnBarr
11 minutes ago, Carl Fredrickson said:

Thats a bummer. Similar with my mum but she cant escape my house now.... Hopefully things will be different come summer for all of us. 

It wants to be Carl.

heartsfc_fan
3 hours ago, IronJambo said:

Octavia, Leon estate, Kodiaq, tarraco (pushing the budget maybe). Kia Sportage maybe. 

Was about to post this. Octavia especially.

My in-laws picked up the old model (as in 2019 reg, as the design has now changed) for around £13-14k.

I was one of the "don't buy French" gang for years but things have definitely changed and I bought a Peugeot 3008 last year and love it. 👍