Printers

The Real Maroonblood

Jambo-Jimbo

I've bought Epson for years & years now.

Have tried Canon, Lexmark & HP in the past but always go back to Epson and now I won't buy any other brand.

For £100 you'll get an Epson printer & scanner for that.

The Real Maroonblood
11 minutes ago, Serj Tankian said:

Bought a  basic cannon printer and never had any problems . Gave up on HP useless . 

It’s HP I’ve got at the moment and I’ve persevered for so long I’m giving up with it.

Captain Sausage

Got an HP smart printer for £150. It’s amazing. I print direct off my phone so no hassles with fannying around on the computer. 

I used to sell printers and would always steer customers towards Epson if price was the important factor as they were individual ink colour cartridges, Canon for quality of print, HP if neither were important.

Well times have changed and HP's "instant ink" is a game changer for me. £1.99 per month for up to 50 pages with a 150 roll over and they monitor my ink levels remotely and send out replacement cartridges in plenty time.

https://instantink.hpconnected.com/uk/en/l/?gclsrc=aw.ds&&gclid=Cj0KCQjwi7yCBhDJARIsAMWFScOirOBZ-Yr9wGucsMOPjCOwKQUdFbgZ5xj2lHnkheINZuqZtvQXqvsaAl1CEALw_wcB

Think at that price they are all much of muchness. Availability of compatible ink cartridges for the printer would be my priority. Personally never had an issues with HP and compatible inks cheap as from Amazon. 

The Real Maroonblood

Thanks for all the posts.

Looked at a few printers. 

There's quite a contrast with reviews of the same printer.

One extreme to the other.

hmfc_liam06

At that price I'd be more concerned with the running costs, as Dazo says, they'll be much the same in terms of quality for the price at your budget.

The Real Maroonblood
28 minutes ago, hmfc_liam06 said:

At that price I'd be more concerned with the running costs, as Dazo says, they'll be much the same in terms of quality for the price at your budget.

👍

Get a laser jet if you aren't going to be using it too often - higher cost but cheaper in the long run because toner lasts for ages. And toner doesn't start to dry out after a long time of inactivity unlike ink. Plus the paper comes out nice and warm.

2 minutes ago, kila said:

Get a laser jet if you aren't going to be using it too often - higher cost but cheaper in the long run because toner lasts for ages. And toner doesn't start to dry out after a long time of inactivity unlike ink. Plus the paper comes out nice and warm.

Complete opposite of my thinking, a laser printer is the way to go only if you are doing a lot of printing. A printer generally won't live long enough for you to recoup the difference in initial outlay. Also inkjet printers are usually way better at doing colour/photos.

If all your doing is churning out reams of mono text pages then laser printer is the way to go.

9 minutes ago, graygo said:

Complete opposite of my thinking, a laser printer is the way to go only if you are doing a lot of printing. A printer generally won't live long enough for you to recoup the difference in initial outlay. Also inkjet printers are usually way better at doing colour/photos.

If all your doing is churning out reams of mono text pages then laser printer is the way to go.

If you don't use your inkjet printer for a couple of months or so, you might need to buy new cartridges.

Toner lasts longer during unused periods. I got my folks a mono laser printer about 6 years ago, and the toner is still fine. It's never been changed, and they only do a little printing every few month or so. If that had been an inkjet they'd have run out of ink by now (with new cartridges costing as much as a new printer) but they'd also likely have had to change the cartridges because they've dried up a bit from inactivity.

25 minutes ago, kila said:

If you don't use your inkjet printer for a couple of months or so, you might need to buy new cartridges.

Toner lasts longer during unused periods. I got my folks a mono laser printer about 6 years ago, and the toner is still fine. It's never been changed, and they only do a little printing every few month or so. If that had been an inkjet they'd have run out of ink by now (with new cartridges costing as much as a new printer) but they'd also likely have had to change the cartridges because they've dried up a bit from inactivity.

Like I say a mono laser is no use if you want to print colour/photos which I would think most home users would.

A damp tissue on the print head will unblock a dried ink cartridge.

I posted a link earlier to HP's instant ink deal, now I'm not sure what you call "a little printing every few month or so" is but for 99p a month they could have 15 pages a month with a rollover of up to 45 pages. No extra charge for ink cartridges, foc replacements if any do dry out and they can't be revived. It would take many many years printing on a laser to recoup that extra outlay.

The Real Maroonblood
2 hours ago, kila said:

I’m in that category not using the printer very often.

Never use it for printing photos.

Just miscellaneous stuff like notices and boarding passes.🙁 

9 hours ago, The Real Maroonblood said:

I’m in that category not using the printer very often.

Never use it for printing photos.

Just miscellaneous stuff like notices and boarding passes.🙁 

I wouldn’t bother spending £100 for your needs. Cheap n cheerful would be my option. 

The Real Maroonblood
17 minutes ago, Dazo said:

I wouldn’t bother spending £100 for your needs. Cheap n cheerful would be my option. 

You’re right.

I’ll go for one at about £50.00.

Harry Potter
18 hours ago, Captain Sausage said:

Got an HP smart printer for £150. It’s amazing. I print direct off my phone so no hassles with fannying around on the computer. 

I have an HP envy, about 26 pounds, wireless, great piece of kit.

The Real Maroonblood
6 minutes ago, Harry Potter said:

I have an HP envy, about 26 pounds, wireless, great piece of kit.

👍

Must look it up.

19 hours ago, Captain Sausage said:

You don't need a £150 printer to do that, even a cheap wireless printer will do that.

Jambo-Jimbo
1 hour ago, The Real Maroonblood said:

You’re right.

I’ll go for one at about £50.00.

Curry's have several all-in-one printer/scanner with WIFI for £50-£60.

If you are going to pay £50-£60 for a printer you'd be as well getting an intergrated scanner for nothing. 

Jambo-Jimbo
Just now, graygo said:

You don't need a £150 printer to do that, even a cheap wireless printer will do that.

Indeed my £50 Epson does that.

1 hour ago, maroondevo52 said:

I've had an Epson for donkeys, good gear.

Agreed. Also, my Epson which has given great service for about eight years, has individual ink cartridges so that I only have to replace an empty one not a complete multicolour cartridge which is the case with many other printers. I can also print and scan wirelessly from my phone, tablet and laptop.

Edited by Cheile

Harry Potter

5 hours ago, The Real Maroonblood said:

👍

Must look it up.

Sorry bud 34 pounds, just checked my amazon account😕not available just now.

The Real Maroonblood
30 minutes ago, Harry Potter said:

Sorry bud 34 pounds, just checked my amazon account😕not available just now.

That’s okay.

Looking at the Envy 6020 at £70.00.

On 15/03/2021 at 15:38, graygo said:

I used to sell printers and would always steer customers towards Epson if price was the important factor as they were individual ink colour cartridges, Canon for quality of print, HP if neither were important.

Well times have changed and HP's "instant ink" is a game changer for me. £1.99 per month for up to 50 pages with a 150 roll over and they monitor my ink levels remotely and send out replacement cartridges in plenty time.

https://instantink.hpconnected.com/uk/en/l/?gclsrc=aw.ds&&gclid=Cj0KCQjwi7yCBhDJARIsAMWFScOirOBZ-Yr9wGucsMOPjCOwKQUdFbgZ5xj2lHnkheINZuqZtvQXqvsaAl1CEALw_wcB

I also have Hp and HP Envy wireless printer and also have the Instant ink offer too would recommend it very easy interface to use and added bonus of printing remotely  

Harry Potter
11 hours ago, samgolden said:

I also have Hp and HP Envy wireless printer and also have the Instant ink offer too would recommend it very easy interface to use and added bonus of printing remotely  

The ink offer is superb, cheaper than a coffee.