Marvin Hagler RIP

Tazio

Shanks said no

Saw his name trending on twitter and feared it was so. 66 years old

RIP

Will always remember watching him destroy Minter and the aftermath as a 15 year old

Jeez, thought he was older than that for some reason. 66 is no age at all.

An absolute legend involved in some of the most entertaining fights ever. I know the Hearns fight is probably the best known but my favourite is his fight against John Mugabi. An absolute war, the amount of punishment both men took is unbelievable. 

Rest easy. 

scott herbertson

My favourite boxer of that period - a terrifying man to fight I'd have thought - like Tyson without the more extreme character faults. Only Leonard got the better of him and that was a close fight won more by Leonard's intelligence than anything else. We'll never know what a rematch of that would have gone like.

132goals1958

Marvellous Marvin was an apt description. One of the best pound for pound in my time. The era of Hagler , Hearns and Leonard was something else. 

been here before

My favourite boxer of all time. 

As Frazier said to him when he was young ad making his way, "You've 3 strikes against you: You're black, you're a southpaw and you're good.".

Didnt feel he was getting the recognition he deserved from some commentators so changed his name by deed poll to Marvellous Marvin Hagler.

Carried that sense of resentment into the ring and others paid the price. That Minter fight was largely over shadowed by the rioting, the NF overtones and Minters alleged comments but Hagler took him apart

The Hearns fight embodied both fighter, probably the best ever.

Hagler, Hearns, Duran and Robinson. 4 of the greatest and all fought each other. Hagler was the best of the best.

Met him about 20 years ago at the Kelvin Hall, watched a couple of fights with him, lovely dude. Still looked ripped, like he could do 12 rounds easily. The only person Ive ever met who really truly intimidated me and he wasnt even trying 😂. The entourage around him was like the cast from 70s Shaft :lol:

Hearns tweeted last night Hagler was admitted to ICU "fighting the after effects" of the COVID jab.

Edited by been here before

Met the legend and his wife a while back. Such a gentleman and for me the best middleweight of all time. That 3 rounds v Hearns wow. 

RIP

jack D and coke
2 hours ago, been here before said:

As Frazier said to him when he was young ad making his way, "You've 3 strikes against you: You're black, you're a southpaw and you're good.".

Didnt feel he was getting the recognition he deserved from some commentators so changed his name by deed poll to Marvellous Marvin Hagler.

Carried that sense of resentment into the ring and others paid the price. That Minter fight was largely over shadowed by the rioting, the NF overtones and Minters alleged comments but Hagler took him apart

Hagler, Hearns, Duran and Robinson. 4 of the greatest and all fought each other. Hagler was the best of the best.

Met him about 20 years ago at the Kelvin Hall, watched a couple of fights with him, lovely dude. Still looked ripped, like he could do 12 rounds easily. The only person Ive ever met who really truly intimidated me and he wasnt even trying 😂. The entourage around him was like the cast from 70s Shaft :lol:

Hearns tweeted last night Hagler was admitted to ICU "fighting the after effects" of the COVID jab.

No way?? This is what’s killed him? 
On another note though the first boxer I can remember who almost scared me. Absolute machine of a man and definition of a warrior in the ring. Never took a step back. 
RIP 

John Findlay
11 hours ago, The Frenchman Returns said:

Saw his name trending on twitter and feared it was so. 66 years old

RIP

Will always remember watching him destroy Minter and the aftermath as a 15 year old

Yip, totally destroyed Alan Minter that fight. Was a tremendous boxer in his prime.

RIP Marvellous Marvin Hagler, and thanks for the memories.

Roxy Hearts
3 hours ago, been here before said:

Always a question mark over Duran due to our great Ken Buchanan. Duran didn't fancy return fight!

4 hours ago, been here before said:

Leonard not Robinson surely. 

been here before
14 minutes ago, Tazio said:

Leonard not Robinson surely. 

Aye.

There really is only one Sugar Ray- was never a great Leonard fan truth be told.

John Findlay
55 minutes ago, Roxy Hearts said:

Always a question mark over Duran due to our great Ken Buchanan. Duran didn't fancy return fight!

Duran got away with a low punch on Ken, without shadow of a doubt.

jack D and coke
48 minutes ago, Nucky Thompson said:

Hagler v Hearns Round 1, still described as the greatest round of boxing ever

Marvin Hagler vs Tommy Hearns Round 1 | GREATEST ROUND OF BOXING | ON THIS DAY - YouTube

It is. Incredible stuff. Hearns was another true warrior but Hagler was not going to be stopped that day. 
I don’t know how many times I’ve watched that and still takes your breath away. 

Toxteth O'Grady
14 minutes ago, Tazio said:

A lot of boxing people say round 3 was better as Hagler realised he was cut and needed to get the fight over with as soon as possible. 

Just watched it - a deadly finish

7 hours ago, Toxteth O'Grady said:

Just watched it - a deadly finish

I've studied those three rounds since I was a kid. There's a movie in those 15 minutes. 

Hearns landed a punch on Hagler early on that would have killed most humans. It comes straight down the pipe. You need to appreciate the physique of Hearns that day, he was a street brawler and got a street brawl. I think the fact Hagler was still standing, still moving forward, after that punch got to him early - what else have you got when that doesn't work? 

Best fight of all time.