Cease Order - Broadband

Jeff

Quick question for any internet engineers / experts on here.

We recently moved to a new property and everytime we attempt to set up broadband our orders are automatically cancelled by openreach due to a cease order pending on the line for the 26th of the month.

Funnily enough 26th was when we moved in last month so I'm beginning to think the old owners could be doing a home move sort of deal with their old provider and have pended it for another month.

Is there anyway for me to sort this out or is it a case of sit and wait and hope to god they set it up in a new property soon?

Edited by Jeff

The Real Maroonblood
3 minutes ago, Jeff said:

We recently moved to a new property and everytime we attempt to set up broadband our orders are automatically cancelled by openreach due to a cease order pending on the line for the 26th of the month.

Funnily enough 26th was when we moved in last month so I'm beginning to think the old owners could be doing a home move sort of deal with their old provider and have pended it for another month.

Is there anyway for me to sort this out or is it a case of sit and wait and hope to god they set it up in a new property soon?

You would be better phoning them.

2 minutes ago, The Real Maroonblood said:

You would be better phoning them.

Openreach? Always thought they'd avoid the public like the plague

I've phoned multiple providers who have been unable to help

The Real Maroonblood
4 minutes ago, Jeff said:

Openreach? Always thought they'd avoid the public like the plague

I've phoned multiple providers who have been unable to help

Are they not just BT?

I think the problem is they all just stick to their databases. It took me complaints to BT's chief exec office to convince them to switch me from ISDN to ADSL (a long time ago) - because my numbers were technically on a different exchange (just due to the 2 ISDN lines) they wouldn't place an order. I had to send them a map and a bloody photograph to convince them otherwise. 

So phone, email and just harass the ****ers until they acquiesce. Also, check the BT forums - full of folk who have had a lot of hassles with them and potential solutions. 

1 minute ago, The Real Maroonblood said:

Are they not just BT?

Yeah, monopolising *******s are a subsidiary of BT. Pretend like they ain't, though. 

18 minutes ago, Jeff said:

I'd guess the only way around it would be to use a provider that doesn't use openreach. Virgin/Hyperoptic etc. I appreciate that might not be an option.

Can an order not be set up to take over from the 26th onwards? 

I think you need a working line takeover, although that requires both parties agreement.

Otherwise, you have to wait it out.

The Real Maroonblood
2 minutes ago, Jeff said:

Just phoned BT who are putting a new line in. What could possibly go wrong here 😂

Bring back pen and paper!

When I moved house I had to use BT and I’ve found them okay.

Just now, The Real Maroonblood said:

When I moved house I had to use BT and I’ve found them okay.

Yeah was more a case of every provider has said they can sort it and each have went down like a lead balloon so far so I'm crossing fingers, toes and baws again 😬

The Real Maroonblood
6 minutes ago, Jeff said:

Yeah was more a case of every provider has said they can sort it and each have went down like a lead balloon so far so I'm crossing fingers, toes and baws again 😬

👍

54 minutes ago, The Real Maroonblood said:

Are they not just BT?

Openreach are BT but also the sole people allowed to put phone lines/broadband in. Remember being told that when I was having an issue with BT Sport and Sky. Sky couldn’t solve it as it had to be done from the box and Openreach were the best only ones allowed.

Jeff when I moved into Rubislaw Square the previous people hadn’t disconnected the line and had a debt too. I had to get a new line put in in order to bypass this and get internet access. The same thing happened in that everytime I placed an order the system cancelled it a few days later.

Worth asking if that is the problem (they wont be able to give details obvs) and see if just putting a new line in will solve it. If so make sure you dont get lumbered with paying for it

27 minutes ago, Jeff said:

Just phoned BT who are putting a new line in. What could possibly go wrong here 😂

Bring back pen and paper!

Never saw this. Hopefully that will sort it for you. 👍🏻

57 minutes ago, sadj said:

Never saw this. Hopefully that will sort it for you. 👍🏻

Cheers. Just got confirmation of an engineer coming which is a good sign!

54 minutes ago, sadj said:

Openreach are BT but also the sole people allowed to put phone lines/broadband in. Remember being told that when I was having an issue with BT Sport and Sky. Sky couldn’t solve it as it had to be done from the box and Openreach were the best only ones allowed.

Jeff when I moved into Rubislaw Square the previous people hadn’t disconnected the line and had a debt too. I had to get a new line put in in order to bypass this and get internet access. The same thing happened in that everytime I placed an order the system cancelled it a few days later.

Worth asking if that is the problem (they wont be able to give details obvs) and see if just putting a new line in will solve it. If so make sure you dont get lumbered with paying for it

Openreach look after the network for all the companies who run the services through it much like the gas board do. If you had every company dabbling in it I should imagine chaos would ensue

4 hours ago, Lord BJ said:

As other have said Open Reach are the infrastructure company for broadband provision. Similar principal to Network Rail.  

They were separated from BT about 5 years of years ago as they were involved in some dodgy dealings. Essentially, they favoured BT internet provision over other suppliers. This was to the detriment to other ISP. Whilst BT were given time to sort the issues they didn’t and OFCOM forced them to separate,

I think it’s fair to say oprnreach are shambolic outfit. 

That's sort of right. Openreach are still part of the BT Group, just like BT Retail, Plusnet, BT Wholesale, EE, etc. BT owns the infrastructure, but Openreach maintains it.