Cycling Team GB/Sky

ri Alban

Well then.

An obvious conspiracy would be Nicola Sturgeon fitting up Alex Salmond.

This is one guy trying to please people. No evidence of doping or cheating. Lots of questions certainly. But Freeman might tell the truth now. He has promised to. 

I know it is childish humour from my part but I had to have a bit of a chuckle that he said the drugs were for erectile disfunction for one of the other staff members and they completely denied it.

On a serious note though certainly opens a whole lot more questions...

Is it not pretty common knowledge that drugs are involved in elite level cycling?

Find it weird whenever people get shocked, upset about it. 

Malinga the Swinga

No one is shocked by news. Just some enjoy seeing Team GB getting trashed as GB in name. If it was any other team, wouldn't even get commented on. 

Wonder if the Scottish cyclists in team GB are also cheats or if Hoy was a cheat, or is it just the non Scots we are suspicious of?  Are they traitors if they represented Team GB? 

John Findlay
6 minutes ago, Malinga the Swinga said:

No one is shocked by news. Just some enjoy seeing Team GB getting trashed as GB in name. If it was any other team, wouldn't even get commented on. 

Wonder if the Scottish cyclists in team GB are also cheats or if Hoy was a cheat, or is it just the non Scots we are suspicious of?  Are they traitors if they represented Team GB? 

What a crock of shit.

1 hour ago, TheOak88 said:

Is it not pretty common knowledge that drugs are involved in elite level cycling?

Yep. Amazing that all these incredibly fit cyclists all seem to have asthma as well. 🤥 

1 hour ago, Malinga the Swinga said:

I haven't seen this at all. I have however seen a lot of anger directed at Team Sky with a focus on TdF performance.

We'll never know the truth and the Doctor can't be trusted, whatever he now says.

4 minutes ago, Cruyff said:

Yep. Amazing that all these incredibly fit cyclists all seem to have asthma as well. 🤥 

Apparently very common at Liverpool in the last handful of years as well. 

9 minutes ago, Tazio said:

Apparently very common at Liverpool in the last handful of years as well. 

Interesting. Never knew this. 👍

1 minute ago, Cruyff said:

Interesting. Never knew this. 👍

There do seem to be a lot of positive drug test in cycling but there’s a very good reason for that. Hugely stringent testing. Every pro rider has a “biological passport” that is registered with the authorities. Any noticeable change to red blood cells, testosterone, etc is flagged in testing and the rider investigated. Other sports test a lot less and some such as football and rugby need to up their game. Steroid abuse is a big problem in rugby even down to the amateur game but there is a culture of turning a blind eye to it. And football would probably turn up a lot of positives for recreational drugs if there was more testing. 

1 hour ago, Malinga the Swinga said:

This is more Team Sky than GB isn't it?

Team Sky have worked with doctors who were known to have been involved in doping previously had riders like Froome and Wiggins who's tour performances exponentially improved and been proven to have had staff who ordered banned substances.

I'm not aware of anything remotely similar regarding Hoy?

16 minutes ago, Costanza said:

This is more Team Sky than GB isn't it?

Team Sky have worked with doctors who were known to have been involved in doping previously had riders like Froome and Wiggins who's tour performances exponentially improved and been proven to have had staff who ordered banned substances.

I'm not aware of anything remotely similar regarding Hoy?

Team Sky and Team GB were linked on a lot of levels in terms of personnel and use of facilities. Dave Brailsford effectively running both outfits. Shane Sutton who was heavily involved in the investigation was part of the track cycling set up. 

47 minutes ago, Tazio said:

Team Sky and Team GB were linked on a lot of levels in terms of personnel and use of facilities. Dave Brailsford effectively running both outfits. Shane Sutton who was heavily involved in the investigation was part of the track cycling set up. 

Those are fair points. Suppose I was more focused on the employment of Geert Leinders and the TUE abuse that seemed more prevalent at Sky.

But yeah a fair point to ask why Sky were dirty but Team GB not.

Local lad Sir Chris also likely wrapped up in this. 

There are at least three knighthoods for elite cyclists that potentially cheated that should be revoked. 

Edited by SecN

A Boy Named Crow
23 hours ago, TheOak88 said:

I think you could extend that to pretty much all top level sport.  The rewards are too great for the likes of athletics,football, tennis etc not to be absolutely rife with it.

Take tennis, given the actions of his doctor and the Spanish authorities, it's a pretty safe bet that Nadal has been at it for years. If the likes of Federer and Djokovic are able to keep pace with him,  they must be at it too. There is no motivation for the sport to call it out though - where would all the $$$ come from then?

We should just end the hypocrisy, accept that drugs are part of sport and move on.

5 hours ago, A Boy Named Crow said:

I think you could extend that to pretty much all top level sport.  The rewards are too great for the likes of athletics,football, tennis etc not to be absolutely rife with it.

Take tennis, given the actions of his doctor and the Spanish authorities, it's a pretty safe bet that Nadal has been at it for years. If the likes of Federer and Djokovic are able to keep pace with him,  they must be at it too. There is no motivation for the sport to call it out though - where would all the $$$ come from then?

We should just end the hypocrisy, accept that drugs are part of sport and move on.

I think it’s a difficult question about whether drugs should have a place in sport or not. I am tempted to agree with you that maybe we should stop the charade regarding drugs in sport and just accept it as the natural evolution of elite level sport. 

The only thing that worries me is young athletes taking drugs. These substances are not for teenagers - by removing the charade will it encourage kids to start taking them. 

A Boy Named Crow
4 hours ago, TheOak88 said:

I think it’s a difficult question about whether drugs should have a place in sport or not. I am tempted to agree with you that maybe we should stop the charade regarding drugs in sport and just accept it as the natural evolution of elite level sport. 

The only thing that worries me is young athletes taking drugs. These substances are not for teenagers - by removing the charade will it encourage kids to start taking them. 

I see your point.  It's maybe a bit like bevy.  In prohibition times it was hard enough for adults to get a drink, never mind kids. Now with alcohol being available everywhere,  under-age drinking is basically the norm.

I'm not sure what point I'm trying to make here.  Kids should definitely be protected from using harmful performance enhancing drugs... but I wouldn't say banning alcohol is a good idea. 

Bindy Badgy

Anyone that thinks that doping should be legalised within sport should take a look at what happened to Hedi/Andreas Krieger

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Andreas_Krieger

Krieger was systematically doped with steroids from the age of 16 onward. According to Werner Franke and Brigitte Berendonk's 1991 book, Doping: From Research to Deceit, Krieger took almost 2,600 milligrams of steroids in 1986 alone— nearly 1,000 milligrams more than Ben Johnson took during the 1988 Summer Olympics.

As early as the age of 18, Krieger began developing visibly male characteristics. Eventually, years of doping left him with many masculine traits. By 1997, at the age of 31, Krieger underwent sex reassignment surgery and changed his name to Andreas. Krieger had "felt out of place and longed in some vague way to be a boy", and said in a 2004 interview in The New York Times that he was "glad that he became a man". However, he felt that receiving hormones without his consent deprived him of the right to "find out for myself which sex I wanted to be." Krieger's sex change operation dominated Germany's news headlines and focused widespread attention on the legacy of doping in East Germany, leading other former athletes to speak out in public for the first time.

Krieger gave evidence at the trial of Manfred Ewald, leader of the East German sports programme and president of the East German Olympic committee and Manfred Hoeppner, East German medical director in Berlin in 2000. Both Ewald and Hoepner were convicted of accessory to the "intentional bodily harm of athletes, including minors".

Krieger was forced to retire in part due to experiencing severe pain from lifting massive amounts of weight while on steroids. Even today, he has severe pain in his hips and thighs, and can only withstand mild exertion.

The Heidi Krieger Medal (German: Heidi-Krieger-Medaille), named after Krieger, is now awarded annually to Germans who combat doping. Krieger's gold medal from 1986 forms part of the trophy.

Edited by Stokesy