• Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• John Findlay

• Tazio

• The Real Maroonblood

• Francis Albert

Angry Haggis

I’m not really sure what the Police are doing right in the middle of that. Other than inflaming an intended peaceful (yet illegal) protest.

If they are not controlling the crowd/arresting people I would have thought they would be better out the way. 

I know nothing about Police tactics on crowd control - but after watching 20mins of that they are just adding fuel to the fire 

2 minutes ago, Dagger Is Back said:

This isn’t a vigil it’s a protest. Shameful and completely disrespectful 

It might have been planned as a vigil but it’s been hijacked by people who just want to have a go at the police. 

dobmisterdobster

Wearing a mask isn't going to protect you when you are in a crowd of hundreds of other people.

Darwin Award

3 minutes ago, Dagger Is Back said:

Police getting total dogs abuse now. 
As you say it’s like a group of women intent on trouble from what  I’ve just watched for last 5 mins 

Dagger Is Back
10 minutes ago, Tazio said:

It might have been planned as a vigil but it’s been hijacked by people who just want to have a go at the police. 

7 minutes ago, theshed said:

Police getting total dogs abuse now. 
As you say it’s like a group of women intent on trouble from what  I’ve just watched for last 5 mins 

You have to wonder what goes on in peoples minds. This poor lass has been mercilessly taken away and instead of quietly paying respects, some bampots do her and her family the ultimate dishonour.

1 hour ago, Norm said:

As mentioned, the curfew was pretty much in reply to the "women shouldn't go out after dark on their own" spiel from the fuzz. Why the **** shouldn't women go out after dark? It's essentially saying "Sorry women, we clearly can't stop men wanting to attack you so best stay in doors". 

And personally, I think men do need to be educated more to stop using violence to sort out problems. From beating partners, to punching some young dad who ends up dying after hitting his head on the way down. It needs to ****ing stop. 

Are they not taught that now, when I was  a kid we were always taught not to hit women or girls. There was also talk amongst boys on she street what girls not to threaten or these lassies would  kick your ass. We were also in school taught manners, and again respect for all females. Of course there were the again psychologically damaged who did not follow the advice and paid a price one way or the other. House rows were an example of male bullying, sometimes mental bullying sometimes physical. The one desire on attending and making an arrest for assault was that the bully may want to try his hardmanship with yourself, had the occasional satisfying invitation. The old ways are bitterly and strongly condemned now, but can the critics truly offer an opinion that life for all is better. Being of course biased I don't see it as so.

50 minutes ago, Lord BJ said:

I’m teaching , well not me per se, my boy to defend himself/fight or whatever you want to call it.

My wife and I both agreed that it was important he learned a martial arts, not for the sole purpose of fighting but discipline, self control, sport, fitness but essentially so he could handle/defend himself if the situation occurred. He actually want to jack his footie to take another martial art.

We both insisted he tried it and it’s never once crossed our mind our daughter enrols in it. Despite their being numerous girls in the classes which he does have to spar with. 

My wife and I viewed that he would be much more likely to be subject to physical harm, whether thats ‘boy’s being boy’s’ in the playground or the risks that a young man will face when they get older.

No real point to my post, other than personal experience but I definitely view my son to be at a greater risk than my daughter of violence.  Maybe that will change when they are a bit older and the daughter is of an age where she attracts more ‘attention’

The issues and risks they face will likely be different, I guess. 

I got into organised boxing when I was twelve, started entering contests never won any but acquitted myself respectably. one day when at Boroughmuir I heard a kid make statements to  a friend what he was going to do to me, his friend said he is a boxer ,so he backed off. Sometimes reputation precedes  ability, the janitor who knew I was in competitions asked me how I was doing and I said I had lost, he then suggested I start  practise winning. The fact is you can win some fights in a competition but the only winner is the guy who wins the competition. For my money your son is doing the right thing.

I sometimes wonder if the plain policeman dressed in the yellow jackets, with their radios and belt equipment are so well supplied with the basics for major incidents, are no longer mentally attuned to then simple but important little matters that matter so seriously to individual members of the public. Do they accept any criticism or remorse that things such as this murder by one of their own happened on their watch.

John Findlay
17 minutes ago, Sharpie said:

Are they not taught that now, when I was  a kid we were always taught not to hit women or girls. There was also talk amongst boys on she street what girls not to threaten or these lassies would  kick your ass. We were also in school taught manners, and again respect for all females. Of course there were the again psychologically damaged who did not follow the advice and paid a price one way or the other. House rows were an example of male bullying, sometimes mental bullying sometimes physical. The one desire on attending and making an arrest for assault was that the bully may want to try his hardmanship with yourself, had the occasional satisfying invitation. The old ways are bitterly and strongly condemned now, but can the critics truly offer an opinion that life for all is better. Being of course biased I don't see it as so.

I'm with you on this Sharpie and I only turn 58 next month.

John Findlay
41 minutes ago, Dagger Is Back said:

Totally agree

The Real Maroonblood
6 minutes ago, dobmisterdobster said:

The police removed the troublemakers and it has returned to being peaceful again.

Then hopefully they’ll disperse the peaceful ones.

The Real Maroonblood
7 minutes ago, Tiger said:

How many fines have been handed out I wonder.

7 minutes ago, Tiger said:

How many fines have been handed out I wonder.

That’ll be interesting if there was any handed out.

Governor Tarkin
1 hour ago, Lord BJ said:

It’s martial arts its all about the rules.

I’ll be honest I think kids of today are less likely to resort to violence than any previous generation. They have way less exposure to violence than previous generation where violence was more ‘commonplace’. They are also way more likely to talk about things such as feeling as verbalise concerns imo.

Maybe thats due to us growing in slightly different environments from myself. My kids definately mix with a better class of people than I did in my formative years. However, I think society today is softer/more tolerant/adverse to violence  (not sure of the right words than previous generations.

Unfortunately, there will always be crimes/violence for all myriad of reasons, unless minority report happens.

I'd broadly agree with this.

What age was the boy when you got him into the martial arts?

I'd be keen to get my two involved at the earliest opportunity.

I didn't start boxing until I was at uni in my early 30's, and although I spent most of my time staring up at the ceiling, the transformation in my everyday mindset brought about by the whole experience was quite remarkable. It made me a better, more controlled, and more productive person all round.

I think that self discipline and focus is missing in many peoples lives, which can be reflected in their attitudes and actions towards others.

The Real Maroonblood
Just now, Dusk_Till_Dawn said:

People are entitled to protest. Good on them for turning out 

Arseholes.

:P

dobmisterdobster
24 minutes ago, Dusk_Till_Dawn said:

People are entitled to protest. Good on them for turning out 

Not during the pandemic. Everybody should stick to the rules.

Governor Tarkin
4 minutes ago, Lord BJ said:

He started judo when he was 5, he now does taekwondo and did from about 6/7, just turned 12 very recently. He loves it and whilst I think it’s limited, it certainly teaches him good discipline, life skills and some controlled aggression in the appropriate environment. I actually can’t praise it high enough for young kids.

I was actually considering trying him at boxing, I’ve done a little bit myself, like yourself white collar level, decent hands but never enjoyed being hit and couldn’t convince myself the fight was worth the risk. 

Think he will probably move on to kick boxing or Muay Thai, if can find suitable place that fits the schedule. I have been trying to convince him to go for bjj, mainly as I would do it with him. I think he prefers kicking things. 🤷🏻‍♂️

Would recommend for your oldest for all the reason you’ve outlined. They get a huge amount of enjoyment out it, though competitions are a bit tedious from parent POV. 

Think they can start from about 3/4 and you’ll be amazed how well they can mimic their elder peers. 

Thanks. I'll start looking in to it proper when everything has opened back up.

4 minutes ago, Lord BJ said:

Hope you’ve managed to slaughter flipper and shamu on your travels 👍 

Tattered remains washing up on a Congolese beach any day soon. 👍

Dusk_Till_Dawn
8 minutes ago, dobmisterdobster said:

Not during the pandemic. Everybody should stick to the rules.

The pandemic can’t overrule everything

Silvery_Moon
8 hours ago, AlphonseCapone said:

Good post. 

Folk should ignore the 6pm thing, it's a ridiculous suggestion that imo was trying poorly to make a point. Anyone making that point seriously is mental. 

On the men hurt more men type arguments. It's not wrong but it's not the point here. It's not a, "but" situation. If people want to discuss male on male violence they should and it's a very worthy topic but bringing it up when women are talking about their experiences with men comes across as trying to divert attention.

Let women discuss their experiences with men and listen for now. It's not the right time to raise men on men violence, and the reason it isn't the right time is because you could have done that last week, but you didn't. You're doing it in response to women talking about men and that seems a bit off imo. 

Good Post. 

I think a debate definitely needs to be had on the crimes that men are much more likely to be victims of but this moment is not the time when a woman has been subject to a horrendous crime. 

On a side note I'm interested to know what this man's wife's role has been in this crime. 

dobmisterdobster
2 hours ago, Sharpie said:

I sometimes wonder if the plain policeman dressed in the yellow jackets, with their radios and belt equipment are so well supplied with the basics for major incidents, are no longer mentally attuned to then simple but important little matters that matter so seriously to individual members of the public. Do they accept any criticism or remorse that things such as this murder by one of their own happened on their watch.

The police did a good job tonight. They arrested/removed many of the agent provocateurs and prevented things from getting out of hand.

The predominantly female crowd weren't interested in having a riot. They just wanted to pay their respects.

Dagger Is Back

The Met being slaughtered by politicians on all sides. Hung out to dry.

If I was a front line copper I’d be thinking why the @@@@ do I bother.

The Real Maroonblood
5 minutes ago, dobmisterdobster said:

The police did a good job tonight. They arrested/removed many of the agent provocateurs and prevented things from getting out of hand.

The predominantly female crowd weren't interested in having a riot. They just wanted to pay their respects.

Did they break any of the COVID-19 rules?

Metropolitan police attend a vigil for a woman (allegedly) murdered by one of their own officers/protest against violence against women and mark the occassion by battering lots of women.

Huge, huge own goal by the polis.

Cressida Dick is an arsehole.

Edited by Cade

10 minutes ago, Dagger Is Back said:

The Met being slaughtered by politicians on all sides. Hung out to dry.

If I was a front line copper I’d be thinking why the @@@@ do I bother.

The very same politicians who enacted the laws the police are enforcing 😂.

Absolute disgrace.  

dobmisterdobster
9 minutes ago, The Real Maroonblood said:

Did they break any of the COVID-19 rules?

Yeah of course they did. Not arguing that.

The Real Maroonblood
1 minute ago, dobmisterdobster said:

Yeah of course they did. Not arguing that.

Probably lots of fines issued then.

glynnlondon

Met old bill in being heavy handed ***** shocker.

Unsurprising knowing the form of the pricks.

Though no doubt next time they're kettling families with kids and backing police horses into scarfers at a football game there won't be a peep from the msm.

Dagger Is Back
19 minutes ago, Dusk_Till_Dawn said:

The pandemic can’t overrule everything

Sorry DTD, I just think that doesn’t make sense. Just like Rangers fans last week there was no need for this at this time.

To expose yourself and others to unnecessary risk at this time just doesn’t resonate with me at all.

We all have a right to protest but within the laws of the land. This IS a huge issue for us as a nation but the time now is to mourn the taking of life in such a tragic way. The time for protest is not now IMHO.

The Real Maroonblood
6 minutes ago, Dagger Is Back said:

Sorry DTD, I just think that doesn’t make sense. Just like Rangers fans last week there was no need for this at this time.

To expose yourself and others to unnecessary risk at this time just doesn’t resonate with me at all.

We all have a right to protest but within the laws of the land. This IS a huge issue for us as a nation but the time now is to mourn the taking of life in such a tragic way. The time for protest is not now IMHO.

:spoton:

Shooter McGavin

Todays events have shifted the attention from the very worrying and important issue of the daily harassment women are subjected to from men, to just another police wading into a crowd debate.

Very frustrating. 

I P Knightley
12 hours ago, Spellczech said:

Hmmn... When did these vigils for murdered people start? Is it a relatively new import from the US. It seems quasi-religious to me. Personally I find it a bit ghoulish, like the people who slow down at road accidents or congregate at murder scenes, or all the celebs who publicly post messages saying how much they loved Caroline Flack, or support Sarah Harding now she is fighting breast cancer rather than mere alcoholism.... I don't really understand what it is for and what people get from it - to the extent that I'm somewhat suspicious about it...it seems they want to "get involved" or make it just a little bit about them. I wonder when it actually happens whether the count of selfies taken and posted on social media will exceed the turnout count?

The point is wa-a-a-ay over there ---->

You might have missed it.

18 minutes ago, Barack said:

Priti Patel AND Sadiq Khan wanting answers?

Dick, is going to be castrated, me thinks.

Patel?? Have you seen the anti-protest bill she's pushing through Parliament. Some brass neck on that arsehole. 

PS +1 for the pun. 😄

Edited by Gizmo

Dagger Is Back
12 minutes ago, Barack said:

With the rushed 2nd reading in Parliament of Patel's: Police, Crime, Sentencing & Court Bill...I can't help but think if this is quite the annoyance for Patel.

Read up on it, for those who don't know. It's not cool, is all I'll say.

Just read up on it - thanks. Very interesting reading and not cool is an understatement 

The events show many women present simply looking for a target to take out their frustrations on

They know they should not have been at such a demo and when someone dared to say no they refused to take a step back and chose emotion over common sense

There are many issues where this has happened and people lose their rational thought process......it was always a danger when you get some who are extreme on a topic mixing with those who simply wish to make a point but get carried away in the moment

The priority was and is Covid not the demonstration regarding the death (sad though it is to say so) of the woman......those demonstrating have put others lives at danger and hardly helped the cause they wish to promote

Just as those who 'celebrated' last week were called to task the same has to apply to those who were present at demonstrations today

dobmisterdobster
1 minute ago, CJGJ said:

The events show many women present simply looking for a target to take out their frustrations on

They know they should not have been at such a demo and when someone dared to say no they refused to take a step back and chose emotion over common sense

There are many issues where this has happened and people lose their rational thought process......it was always a danger when you get some who are extreme on a topic mixing with those who simply wish to make a point but get carried away in the moment

The priority was and is Covid not the demonstration regarding the death (sad though it is to say so) of the woman......those demonstrating have put others lives at danger and hardly helped the cause they wish to promote

Just as those who 'celebrated' last week were called to task the same has to apply to those who were present at demonstrations today

I don't understand how this shitshow is supposed to honour Sarah's memory. It's pathetic. We are turning into America.

The suspect being a police officer just adds to the grievance narrative. What if he was a postman instead? Protest Royal Mail?

5 minutes ago, Barack said:

Two posts up,big man.😎👍🏻

I'm not reading fast enough tonight. :D

But a couple of those highlighted bits in your last post can apparently be interpreted thus:

"Serious annoyance" - can be noise generated above normal background levels

"Section of the public" - a single person

Let's not forget that Tory Blair kicked off the demonisation of peaceful protest when the fuel price protests kicked off but Patel is definitely trying to amp it up. 

Dagger Is Back
14 minutes ago, Barack said:

I'll post a link which will give the basics. 

Duplicitous little woman. Strikes me as ashamed of her heritage too.

Link:

https://www.politics.co.uk/comment/2021/03/11/silencing-black-lives-matter-priti-patels-anti-protest-law/?cmpredirect

That’s a damning article. Basically a licence to gag for the most spurious of reasons.

I agree she does strangely seem to be ashamed of her heritage.

A particularly nasty piece of work 

Vigils up and down the land in various large cities.

Not one copper intervened.

It all kicks off in London because the Met is stuffed full of ramjets.

18 minutes ago, Barack said:

Still would though. :(

It would be spiteful and from behind (to ensure she doesn't bite). 

SectionDJambo
26 minutes ago, Barack said:

Kate Middleton down there is going to throw a LION amongst the pigeons, never mind a cat.

Imagine the reaction if that was that Markle?!

:rofl:

With no face covering in case she wasn’t noticed?

Could very well be a genuine and sincere tribute, but with all the shenanigans going on around the Palace recently, who knows? But in the eyes of the British media, she is faultless so it must be ok.

JudyJudyJudy
5 hours ago, Lord BJ said:

I’m teaching , well not me per se, my boy to defend himself/fight or whatever you want to call it.

My wife and I both agreed that it was important he learned a martial arts, not for the sole purpose of fighting but discipline, self control, sport, fitness but essentially so he could handle/defend himself if the situation occurred. He actually want to jack his footie to take another martial art.

We both insisted he tried it and it’s never once crossed our mind our daughter enrols in it. Despite their being numerous girls in the classes which he does have to spar with. 

My wife and I viewed that he would be much more likely to be subject to physical harm, whether thats ‘boy’s being boy’s’ in the playground or the risks that a young man will face when they get older.

No real point to my post, other than personal experience but I definitely view my son to be at a greater risk than my daughter of violence.  Maybe that will change when they are a bit older and the daughter is of an age where she attracts more ‘attention’

The issues and risks they face will likely be different, I guess. 

Problem is with teaching people physically to a threat is they risk physical injury or death . Best to try and teach them to walk away or de escalate the situation with communication skills . That’s my view anyway 

JudyJudyJudy
38 minutes ago, JamesM48 said:

Problem is with teaching people physically to a threat is they risk physical injury or death . Best to try and teach them to walk away or de escalate the situation with communication skills . That’s my view anyway 

I meant to say U.K. teach them to respond physically to a threat 

JudyJudyJudy
6 hours ago, Norm said:

It pisses me off as well. But we've only got ourselves to blame. We encourage laddies to toy fight, we square up to folk for getting wide, we laugh at Neil Lennon getting lamped, all of this fosters an environment where hitting a guy is seen as perfectly acceptable.

And once hitting a guy is seen as acceptable, it's easy enough for the proper bellends to think hitting women is fine too. 

Edit - Maybe not encourage laddies to toy fight but it's certainly not clamped down on. 

Yes it’s all about pent up energy fir children when they toy fight . We all know tog fighting never ever ends well . My Neices wee one is 9 years old and he meditates and does other relaxing techniques . Children should be taught these techniques to de stress and relax than going mental with toy fighting which only increases their adrenaline . No issues with kids doing boxing , karate etc as it’s all good physical exercise 

2 hours ago, Cade said:

Metropolitan police attend a vigil for a woman (allegedly) murdered by one of their own officers/protest against violence against women and mark the occassion by battering lots of women.

Huge, huge own goal by the polis.

Cressida Dick is an arsehole.

I know beggars belief really 

1 hour ago, Dagger Is Back said:

In retrospect the police probably handled the rangers carry on last week the right way by soft policing . 

Am I missing something about this story?

Why is there a vigil? Poor woman has been murdered yet all these women appearing in the media calling for an end to harassment from men?

How is her murder inciting a call to end harassment? Of course harassment shouldn't happen but this was a murder investigation which has discovered the guilty person?