Sarah Everard (Missing Woman)

Ritchez

25 minutes ago, Lord BJ said:

Mark Drakeford has said he would consider a curfew of men on a temporary basis, in the right circumstances.

Doubt those circumstance would ever occur, however, to even consider is bonkers. 

It’s scary these people get into a position of power 

• Replies 482
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• John Findlay

• Tazio

• The Real Maroonblood

• Francis Albert

John Findlay
8 minutes ago, Francis Albert said:

Not so sure.  As what used to be called an "OAP", but stiil fit and active, I feel a slight resentment when someone (of either sex) offers to give up their seat for me. So I can understand a woman reacting to such an offer by thinking "I am not an invalid".  

Still good manners in my book to make the offer.

Francis Albert

Given the context in which it is being suggested presumably a curfew would also apply to male policemen. What a boon for rapists and murderers and other criminals such a curfew would be.

Unless of course rapists and murderers would be deterred by the remote chance of incurring a fine for breaking the curfew.

Of course there is also the question of how the curfew would apply to the many genders other than "male" and "female" and how that would be policed.

1 minute ago, Lord BJ said:

Of course it will never happen, it would never get through the house(s) and would fundamentally be discriminatory.

I think she is trying to make the point as police allegedly advised women to stay at home when it dark. That women should not be victims (told to stay at home when dark )because of the illegal actions of man. 

Two wrongs don’t make a right and whataboutery is never an actual argument, just a distraction . 

I personally think its a stupid point to make and distracts from the real issue and how that is tackled. People aren’t talking about how we can make society safer. They are embroiled in  in a argument over a stupid proposal that could and would never happen.

Yeah 100% agree, as you say takes focuss away from the really serious issue we undoubtedly face.

Francis Albert
1 minute ago, John Findlay said:

Still good manners in my book to make the offer.

I agree. But the world has changed and a fit elderly man offering a seat to a fit young woman would  not always be welcome these days when gender discrimination is rightly frowned upon.

On 11/03/2021 at 06:24, ri Alban said:

Possible serial killer. 

Killers of this sort don’t stop killing until they are caught. Maybe his first time of course but it seems very savage and complex to be his first time. The complexity and the savagery and the planning tend to evolve as a psychopath goes further into his ‘run’ 

I P Knightley
10 hours ago, CJGJ said:

The nonsense about banning men after 6pm on the streets from a Green peer is just a nonsense and an example of where terrible stories lead some people to stop thinking rationally

I don't think it's a serious suggestion but has been used to draw attention to the advice that's often given to women that they should avoid going out alone in the dark.

3 hours ago, hmfc_steve said:

wouldn't worry about some of the comments made about police ... hardly any of us think like that

Wee edit, there. Could have written "only the muppets among..."

The figure stated earlier of 97% of women (having been attacked) doesn't sound right but it may be that 97% of women have found themselves at some point in a state of fear that they might be attacked. I've witnessed plenty of situtations where a woman or pair of women have been 'harassed' (for want of a better word) by usually a group of guys. The guys are probably not going to cause any harm but are showing off to each other how loud and lairy they can be. On a couple of occasions, I've seen fear or uncertainty in the girls' expressions and intervened with a question asking whether the guys are bothering the girls. Not threatening but just making the guys aware that their behaviour is drawing unwelcome attention. I don't claim to have prevented any rape attacks but I worry that if that kind of behaviour isn't challenged, it could escalate in other situations.

There's a clip from a Daniel Sloss stand up which I saw last night on Twitter where he explains his own deep regret about not challenging a friend's uncomfortable behaviour with girls because the friend later went on to rape another mutual friend. It's worth looking out.

Byyy The Light
22 minutes ago, Lord BJ said:

Of course it will never happen, it would never get through the house(s) and would fundamentally be discriminatory.

I think she is trying to make the point as police allegedly advised women to stay at home when it dark. That women should not be victims (told to stay at home when dark )because of the illegal actions of man. 

Two wrongs don’t make a right and whataboutery is never an actual argument, just a distraction . 

I personally think its a stupid point to make and distracts from the real issue and how that is tackled. People aren’t talking about how we can make society safer. They are embroiled in  in a argument over a stupid proposal that could and would never happen.

Agree.  When you cut through all the over the top stuff what i would say is that I've seen it on here and there has been discussion in a couple of whatsapp groups I'm in.  A lot of guys are a bit taken aback by the fact that they might be deemed a threat or making females feel uncomfortable walking at night. 

It hadn't crossed people's minds as they are fundamentally good people and wouldn't dream of doing anything untoward, in fact quite the opposite, they'd look out for someone and help them get to where they are going safely.

Maybe this extra awareness will go a small bit towards helping with the issue.  Could do without the over the top nonsense though.

27 minutes ago, Francis Albert said:

Given the context in which it is being suggested presumably a curfew would also apply to male policemen. What a boon for rapists and murderers and other criminals such a curfew would be.

Unless of course rapists and murderers would be deterred by the remote chance of incurring a fine for breaking the curfew.

Of course there is also the question of how the curfew would apply to the many genders other than "male" and "female" and how that would be policed.

Must be a slow day in the Albert household if you’re giving this more than a seconds thought before laughing it off 

ArcticJambo
6 minutes ago, Byyy The Light said:

Agree.  When you cut through all the over the top stuff what i would say is that I've seen it on here and there has been discussion in a couple of whatsapp groups I'm in.  A lot of guys are a bit taken aback by the fact that they might be deemed a threat or making females feel uncomfortable walking at night. 

It hadn't crossed people's minds as they are fundamentally good people and wouldn't dream of doing anything untoward, in fact quite the opposite, they'd look out for someone and help them get to where they are going safely.

Maybe this extra awareness will go a small bit towards helping with the issue.  Could do without the over the top nonsense though.

Seems almost rabid right now.  It's obviously a pressing issue, has many shades of grey, is ultimately hugely complex, and willl likely take a very long time to significantly improve the situation for the majority, however unfortunately, I fear there's a small percentage of humankind that will foreve have innate predatorial traits.  Unless that can be 'cured' by science, I cannot see how this problem will ever be resolved anytime soon.

Francis Albert
11 minutes ago, JimmyCant said:

Must be a slow day in the Albert household if you’re giving this more than a seconds thought before laughing it off 

A few seconds more than the proponents appear to have thought about it.

Anyway there haven't been too many days in the last year that haven't been slow days in the "Albert household""

Byyy The Light
1 minute ago, ArcticJambo said:

Seems almost rabid right now.  It's obviously a pressing issue, has many shades of grey, is ultimately hugely complex, and willl likely take a very long time to significantly improve the situation for the majority, however unfortunately, I fear there's a small percentage of humankind that will foreve have innate predatorial traits.  Unless that can be 'cured' by science, I cannot see how this problem will ever be resolved anytime soon.

Totally agree. Crime is a fact of life, it always will be.  Doesn't mean we shouldn't try and improve things but some of the stuff I've read is absolutely ridiculous.

12 minutes ago, Byyy The Light said:

Totally agree. Crime is a fact of life, it always will be.  Doesn't mean we shouldn't try and improve things but some of the stuff I've read is absolutely ridiculous.

Indeed. There was a woman on the main BBC news last night who said ‘Men have to change their behaviour’ a sweeping general and highly misogynistic statement which shouldn’t have been given airtime. It’s not MEN who have to change their behaviour . It’s the type of men who indulge in this range of lairy weird pervy and sometimes frightening behaviour that have to change.

Edited by JimmyCant

CF11JamTart
1 hour ago, Barack said:

I'd have a curfew on Drakeford making stupid statements if possible. But I'm immune to it nowadays.

Even when I try to pay attention to what our glorious leader says,  I find myself just glazing-over.

19 hours ago, theshed said:

Just reading a women from the Green Party wants a 6pm curfew on all men on the streets so women feel

safer 

Violence and abuse against women is 99% indoors. 

So that will help. 

2 hours ago, Lord BJ said:

A peer in the Lords is looking to tag an ammendmrnt  to suitable legislation to introduce a 6pm curfew to make women safer and reduce discrimination. 

https://www.google.co.uk/amp/s/news.sky.com/story/amp/sarah-everard-green-partys-baroness-jones-suggests-6pm-curfew-for-men-12243194

Scottish Government just rejected an amendment to add women as key victims of the hate crime law. 

Missed the moment I think. 

This is a horrible situation.

That being said the social media/ media response to this has been absolutely mental.

2 hours ago, Cruyff said:

This Country is getting worse. Curfews for men after 6? That is absolutely nuts. 

Would save lives. That is young men who are the main victims of violent crime. 

Abuse of women is a wider more serious issue though. 

2 hours ago, Lord BJ said:

Mark Drakeford has said he would consider a curfew of men on a temporary basis, in the right circumstances.

Doubt those circumstance would ever occur, however, to even consider is bonkers. 

It will lead to more abuse of woman. Which mostly happens indoors in domestic situations.

As the Met Commissioner said this incident is very very rare. 

CF11JamTart
6 minutes ago, Mikey1874 said:

Scottish Government just rejected an amendment to add women as key victims of the hate crime law. 

Missed the moment I think. 

Personally, I think that was a miss-step, not having "sex = female" as a protected characteristic.

Possibly reluctant to get in to the Sex vs Gender debate.

Misogyny working group, to report back within a year? Seems like a missed opportunity.

2 hours ago, John Findlay said:

My point is that women can behave just as badly as you described those old men in a strip club.

Agreed, and male strippers should be banned too.  But you have it admit that, as annoying as these woman can be, there is little to suggest they’d sexually assault or kill a man walking home?  

These kind of clubs/acts just feed these perverts desires IMO. 

However, that some are suggesting male curfews is laughable. Recent press stories have woman being jailed for child abuse/neglect but that doesn’t mean we should tar them all with the same brush. 

John Findlay
32 minutes ago, Swanny17 said:

Agreed, and male strippers should be banned too.  But you have it admit that, as annoying as these woman can be, there is little to suggest they’d sexually assault or kill a man walking home?  

These kind of clubs/acts just feed these perverts desires IMO. 

However, that some are suggesting male curfews is laughable. Recent press stories have woman being jailed for child abuse/neglect but that doesn’t mean we should tar them all with the same brush. 

That is a debate, we men are all being tarred with the same brush.

Reminds me of a debate I heard on the radio. A woman said all men are potential rapists as they have a penis, true all men have penises.

This woman went batshit though when it was counter suggested that all women have the potential to be prostitutes as they have a vagina.

She laid into the man saying this, that he was bang out of order and it was a totally preposterous thing to say about women. Yet its true all women have vaginas.

2 hours ago, jonesy said:

I identify as a woman after 6pm. Handy.

I like your thinking.

They couldn't stop you.

Jamstomorrow

In future and in the interests of equality, nobody allowed out after 6pm . . . . . unless the Hirts have an evening kick-off.

Peakybunnet
2 hours ago, JimmyCant said:

Killers of this sort don’t stop killing until they are caught. Maybe his first time of course but it seems very savage and complex to be his first time. The complexity and the savagery and the planning tend to evolve as a psychopath goes further into his ‘run’ 

Think there are trigger points that will activate for a murderer to killing somebody. 

Going by the indecent exposure investigation against him this has been building up and could be the trigger point in that this no longer satisfied his need. (Hence why the Met have referred themselves to the police watchdog as probably could have prevented this murder.)

He may always have had the fantasy but needed a trigger to abduct and murder. 

This kind of murder is extremely rare. The abduction of a stranger for presumably sexual gratification is few and far between. Most murders of woman are committed by somebody they know. 

In Scotland stats show 8% of woman murdered in Scotland between 2011 and 2019 were killed by a stranger. To make its simple thats 12 woman in 9 years. I cant find stats to say if they were sexually assaulted before being murdered. 

For men that figure is 22% or 120 men murdered by strangers.

Domestic violence is the highest killer of woman and still needs drastic community and social interaction from boyhood to try and reduce this. 

image.png.8bbca2472f4d9f6e1602bb9e1ebb5e84.png

Peakybunnet
1 minute ago, jonesy said:

Not to take away from the sad news re the woman in London, but in the wider debate around the streets being unsafe for women, what is this story all about?

Police confirm 'no crime' in reported sex attack near Midlothian golf club - BBC News

Every crime reported particularly sexual crime needs investigated no matter if there is doubt on the what has happened. 

Some woman for whatever reason may fabricate an incident which could indicate an issue in their life they need support with. 

If there was ever any doubt remains have being confirmed as being Sarah RIP.

This is just absolutely tragic in so so many ways 😥

Well just got up had a good nights sleep feel a wee bit stupid about my outburst but thats life.

The comments now seem to have become more to a solution than just wide criticism. The problem as I have often said is life now as opposed to those of us who have experienced past generation with different mores. For myself the sanctity of women was primary in all, I am sure this was because they were seen so wrongly as the weaker sex. As said rising to give a woman a seat was not only traditional, but a sign of good manners and upraising. As you are all so tired of hearing it was different in my day, not correct but different, we made  our own entertainment, respect ,manners were taught at school.

The person who is being held responsible for this crime in my humble opinion did not do it because he was a policeman, but because he had psychological urges towards his dealings with women. He was possibly a fairly out going confident person, but inwardly felt  inadequate toward women, this could generate a desire to humble them by the act of exposure of his genitals. His desires probably got more extreme as success got more frequent and less satisfying and if rejected could lead to violence as happened. The choice of profession is pretty clear why not get a job where your contact with females at any point can be seen as not only normal but proper. If they are an intelligent individual the ability to lie throughout the hiring process and ensuing service would not be difficult. In cases of this type it will be up to the prosecution to prove motive, opportunity and ability to commit the crime, the position of police officer certainly gives someone with psychological problems regarding women most certainly the last two. 

The suggestions to have restrictions on mens activities is to say the least in my opinion nonsensical, I can see where police are so busy harassing normal men, the psychologically damaged individual would have a clear field. All the changes ban strip clubs etc. like most other things offered to stop crime by the mentally disturbed are band aids, the solution is the tracing identifying of these persons through family, work related acquaintances and a recognition of an illness and effort to encourage the seeking of, accepting of offered help.  Statistically probably less than winning the million dollar lottery.  

This post is not printed as evidence, but simply the mullings of a long removed from the type of vent individual.

Eldar Hadzimehmedovic

There's not going to be a curfew FFS. ignore that and move on. Focusing on it is culture war bullshit.

Also, any man who feels "attacked" by the coverage and fall out here - have a word with yourself. 😄

Paraphrasing someone here but on this issue men only have to worry about their feelings being hurt, woman have to worry about being murdered. Quite easy to spot the difference there. 

JudyJudyJudy
6 minutes ago, Eldar Hadzimehmedovic said:

There's not going to be a curfew FFS. ignore that and move on. Focusing on it is culture war bullshit.

Also, any man who feels "attacked" by the coverage and fall out here - have a word with yourself. 😄

Paraphrasing someone here but on this issue men only have to worry about their feelings being hurt, woman have to worry about being murdered. Quite easy to spot the difference there. 

Well said . 

Dusk_Till_Dawn
34 minutes ago, Eldar Hadzimehmedovic said:

The curfew thing though is an example of how woeful political discourse has become. For a political figure to even suggest it is ludicrous and inflammatory. 

37 minutes ago, Eldar Hadzimehmedovic said:

Spot on.

Eldar Hadzimehmedovic
5 minutes ago, Lord BJ said:

I agree with your first two para. You third is little more than going along with the culture BS, IMHO

‘Men only have to worry about their feeling being hurt’ is a nonsensical statement.  Men are much more likely to be subject to assault and murder than women, yes men are the perpetrators but men are much more likely to be victims of crime. 

The issue for me is about making society safer overall. Seems to me a large number of people are missing that point, in pursuit of alternate agendas. 

People irrespective of gender, sex, colour, whatever the **** should feel safe to walk the streets. Sadly that isn’t the case. 

Broadly agree and I was trying to draw a specific distinction by saying "on this issue". Maybe that's a cop out. Who knows?

John Findlay
2 minutes ago, Tiger said:

Surely there is no way this is going to get the go ahead........

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-56367031

Sadly it is just the wrong time for the vigil. As rotten as it is these women will have to presently adhere to the Covid rules. Mass gatherings are prohibited at present. Simple as that.

When they are permitted again, by all means hold the vigil asap.

35 minutes ago, Lord BJ said:

I agree with your first two para. You third is little more than going along with the culture BS, IMHO

‘Men only have to worry about their feeling being hurt’ is a nonsensical statement.  Men are much more likely to be subject to assault and murder than women, yes men are the perpetrators but men are much more likely to be victims of crime. 

The issue for me is about making society safer overall. Seems to me a large number of people are missing that point, in pursuit of alternate agendas. 

People irrespective of gender, sex, colour, whatever the **** should feel safe to walk the streets. Sadly that isn’t the case. 

Absolutely bang on. I made a pish poor attempt to highlight the fact that male on male violence is way, way higher than male on female.

This was not to diminish the threat to women, more to highlight that men really need to sort themselves the **** out. If we're horrified at the attacks on women, which we are, we need to be horrified at attacks on men too.

Too many ****ing ******s who want to go square goes in night clubs, the utter bellends pavement dancing at the football, just so many utter knobends out there. 

35 minutes ago, John Findlay said:

Sadly it is just the wrong time for the vigil. As rotten as it is these women will have to presently adhere to the Covid rules. Mass gatherings are prohibited at present. Simple as that.

When they are permitted again, by all means hold the vigil asap.

Given the hoo ha in Scotland over the last weekend the FM and co can hardly be seen to be giving their blessing for such an event

Should it go ahead then they will need to come out all guns blazing at the organisers and any people present or face real accusations of hypocrisy

Sad though it is no march/meetings should be allowed

JudyJudyJudy
8 hours ago, Lord BJ said:

Ludicrious suggestion really. What about men who work in the emergency services. or in fact any other job ! 

23 hours ago, Norm said:

In the interest of fairness, I'd bet it'd take even longer to read the names of men killed by men. Basically, we're more likely to kill than women, regardless of the victims sex. 

Yep men are more at risk of being killed by other men but women are far more at risk if being  killed by men. 

9 hours ago, John Findlay said:

Upbringing. My late father was my mentor and moral compass.

He taught me what he considered were good manners from an early age. Giving up my seat on the bus for elderly persons both male and female. Giving my seat up on the bus for a female and more importantly in his eyes a pregnant female. I'm 58 next month and still do this as I still use buses.

He told me never to treat a woman as a piece of meat, self explanatory.

Most of all never to lay a finger on a woman as men who do that are cowards. I can state without contradiction I have never hit a woman. 

Although I am a twice divorcee neither of my ex wives can say I laid a finger on them as I never, this despite my first ex wife goading me countless times to do so. Yes she hit me.

Where i differ from many is in that i was physically abused as a child but it wasnt my father it was my mother

My mother broke my nose twice and burst it several times. She never hit my sisters only me.

So when her and my father parted I chose to live with my father.

Despite what I have said above, I have never had the inclination to do harm to any female( my dad's teachings stuck and stuck fast) and I never will.

To men that perpetrate these crimes I always want the full force of the law to come down hard on them when found guilty in a court of law.

After murder i personally think rape is the most heinous crime that any man can commit, i personally would prefer them to be chemically castrated, i know this is never going to happen, so gaol them and throw away the key.

Sorry to hear about the abuse you had in childhood.  However abuse of women does not always have to be physical.  It can be emotional which is much harder to notice and can be very well hidden. Its horrible to witness too.  I had a friend who was continually abusive in a very insidious and subtle  way with his girlfriend whilst in the company of me and others. It was very unpleasant to be around .  I always thought she would see sense and leave him.  But I hear that they are still together.     Emotional abuse often leads to physical abuse too. 

38 minutes ago, Eldar Hadzimehmedovic said:

Broadly agree and I was trying to draw a specific distinction by saying "on this issue". Maybe that's a cop out. Who knows?

Peakybunnet
21 minutes ago, Norm said:

Absolutely bang on. I made a pish poor attempt to highlight the fact that male on male violence is way, way higher than male on female.

This was not to diminish the threat to women, more to highlight that men really need to sort themselves the **** out. If we're horrified at the attacks on women, which we are, we need to be horrified at attacks on men too.

Too many ****ing ******s who want to go square goes in night clubs, the utter bellends pavement dancing at the football, just so many utter knobends out there. 

There has been a substantial decrease in violent crime in Scotland over the last 10 years.

Murder and associated serious assaults have dropped by 40%.

Mainly because the police try to focus on the perpetrators before they commit the crime to try and prevent them carrying knifes and other weapons. Its all about prevention which should also be the focus on all crimes.

Did you know that 90% of housebreakings are committed by 10% of housebreakers. There was a plan to target the 10% when in prison and when out in order to try and prevent then carrying out more crime by intervention and support in society. 

Its the same with the Anti social behavior. Target the kids when young to try and deter them from getting involved.

It’s sad that it’s taken a murder like this to bring up the issue of male violence in society.  I think it’s 2 separate issues though.

I don’t think any amount of education in the world is going to deter a lunatic sex case like Wayne Couzens committing a crime like his. These type of psychopaths have existed since forever and I don’t think there’s any way you’re ever going to eradicate them.

fabienleclerq

A couple points, the poor girl isn't even buried yet and it feels like her murder is being used by people to push their agenda. Her family must be going through hell and all this media attention on top. 

Some of the stuff I've seen written about men is outrageous! Curfews, "All men need educated to not rape and murder" "all men are potential rapists". Even the male violence tagline, its some males committing these awful crimes,the majority are appalled by it. 

Peakybunnet
11 minutes ago, moogsy said:

It’s sad that it’s taken a murder like this to bring up the issue of male violence in society.  I think it’s 2 separate issues though.

I don’t think any amount of education in the world is going to deter a lunatic sex case like Wayne Couzens committing a crime like his. These type of psychopaths have existed since forever and I don’t think there’s any way you’re ever going to eradicate them.

That's true. There is a programme to monitor and supervise high risk Registered Sex Offenders, but unless you are with them 24/7 they will have opportunities. 

Getting away from online pedophiles there will be men like Couzens who look at violent sex and murder websites and maybe more work can be done around who visits these sites. Understandably almost all resources will be targeting pedophiles but its food for thought. 

Controversial but if you cant "eradicate" them should we chemically castrate them? 

John Findlay
47 minutes ago, CJGJ said:

Given the hoo ha in Scotland over the last weekend the FM and co can hardly be seen to be giving their blessing for such an event

Should it go ahead then they will need to come out all guns blazing at the organisers and any people present or face real accusations of hypocrisy

Sad though it is no march/meetings should be allowed

The main vigil is planned for London.

The court challenge is in London.

Not anything to do with the FM.

John Findlay
45 minutes ago, JamesM48 said:

Ludicrious suggestion really. What about men who work in the emergency services. or in fact any other job ! 

Yep men are more at risk of being killed by other men but women are far more at risk if being  killed by men. 

Sorry to hear about the abuse you had in childhood.  However abuse of women does not always have to be physical.  It can be emotional which is much harder to notice and can be very well hidden. Its horrible to witness too.  I had a friend who was continually abusive in a very insidious and subtle  way with his girlfriend whilst in the company of me and others. It was very unpleasant to be around .  I always thought she would see sense and leave him.  But I hear that they are still together.     Emotional abuse often leads to physical abuse too. 

I know alot of women suffer emotional/psychological abuse. Oddly enough men do too.

It's all wrong.

8 minutes ago, John Findlay said:

The main vigil is planned for London.

The court challenge is in London.

Not anything to do with the FM.

There's two events in Edinburgh and one in Glasgow tomorrow. The Scottish Government made a statement this afternoon to say they cannot guarantee that Police Scotland will not disperse the crowds.

10 minutes ago, fabienleclerq said:

A couple points, the poor girl isn't even buried yet and it feels like her murder is being used by people to push their agenda. Her family must be going through hell and all this media attention on top. 

Some of the stuff I've seen written about men is outrageous! Curfews, "All men need educated to not rape and murder" "all men are potential rapists". Even the male violence tagline, its some males committing these awful crimes,the majority are appalled by it. 

But its not a tiny minority that are violent though. Its a fairly big minority. You only have to see on here the number of folk who say "You wouldn't say that to my face". Why? Because you're going to smack someone for calling you a name? A ****ing name? It's pish. As a sex, blokes are far too quick to get the fists out.