Sarah Everard (Missing Woman)

Ritchez

Went missing a week ago (3rd March) after leaving her friends house at 9pm. Should have arrived home around 50 minutes later but never did.

Now a week later, a serving police officer has been arrested in connection with her disappearance, along with a woman.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-56342465

The fact that the key suspect is a man that is literally paid to keep society safe is even more depressing. 

I have a few friends in London that are afraid to walk home at night and are regularly harassed by men. One of them was being followed by a man recently and had to change route as to not give away her home address. Absolutely terrifying and this recent development won't make them feel any safer.

• Replies 482
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• John Findlay

• Tazio

• The Real Maroonblood

• Francis Albert

This is an issue that should be reported more. It happens everywhere but London seems particularly bad. I know women in London that if they’re walking home have to take big detours so they are only on main roads. And I’m not talking about going home from a night out at midnight but any time of night after it gets dark. I’m sure we’ve all had the uncomfortable feeling when you’re walking along a dark street and there’s a woman in front of you and you can tell she’s uncomfortable. I normally cross the road and make sure I end up walking ahead of her so she can see me. 

SectionDJambo

It’s a terrible state of affairs and one that won’t be solved easily. We are not alone, but it doesn’t have to be this way.

I was in Singapore a couple of years ago and got talking to a waitress who engaged in a wee conversation with my wife and I. She was originally from the Philippines. I asked her how much she enjoyed the difference between her home and Singapore. She said that in Manila, she had to get her mother to collect her from work to keep her safe. In Singapore she felt 100% safe out on her own at any time of day, anywhere. No threat whatsoever. 
So it can be done.

9 minutes ago, Barack said:

"Human remains." Not "a body."

Poor girl & her family.

Isn’t that the term they normally use instead of body? 

Well that sounds even worse.  A plod would be well aware of identification matters.  ****ing grim.

Edited by Victorian

Just now, Barack said:

If the body isn't easily identifiable, yes. Which Clarissa Dick's said:

"As you can imagine at this early stage we are not able to confirm any identity and indeed that may take us some considerable time."

Doesn't strike me being as simple as wheeling her corpse to the morgue, for a family member to identify her body.

A lot of thought's gone into her killing. Abduction, murder & disposal. 2 hours from where she was last seen.

Makes you wonder if it's a one off. 

Re the  one off thing I remember wondering if lockdown could be a boon to predators and criminals with the quieter streets. A little celebrated fact about the blitz in London in WWII is that sex offences were much higher than either side of the war. 

5 hours ago, Tazio said:

This is an issue that should be reported more. It happens everywhere but London seems particularly bad. I know women in London that if they’re walking home have to take big detours so they are only on main roads. And I’m not talking about going home from a night out at midnight but any time of night after it gets dark. I’m sure we’ve all had the uncomfortable feeling when you’re walking along a dark street and there’s a woman in front of you and you can tell she’s uncomfortable. I normally cross the road and make sure I end up walking ahead of her so she can see me. 

Reading that the walk home was through Clapham Common and took 50 mins... I’d find a 50 min walk home at that time of night a bit scary if things are bad down there 

Just now, Barack said:

Only noticed, he's been charged with an apparently unrelated offence of indecent exposure too...

Sounding like an all round bad sort. With the obvious caveat that he’s not been found guilty of anything yet. But I’d venture the police must be pretty sure to arrest one of their own. 

Pasquale for King

Seeing a lot of women on social media talking about their own experiences of being followed, not left alone or attacked. Scary stuff. 

The Real Maroonblood
14 minutes ago, Byyy The Light said:

Terrifying if this was a random abduction.

Any abduction would be terrifying.

Central Belt 1874
2 hours ago, Barack said:

They must've tracked his car by ANPR or something. Unless he's volunteered that he was in the centre of London (off-duty). I'd guess you'd not incriminate yourself further, even if you knew you were in the shit.

Most likely through phone. But all avenues are used to build a picture. 

3 hours ago, milky_26 said:

came on to say the same

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-london-56355019

absolutely horrific for her family and friends

Interesting read that link, thanks.   High profile copper as well.   My opinion is he might have given them directions to the remains.  Seems a large area to just happen upon them unless the rain washed the top layer off if under earth.   Might not be who they are looking for either, not confirmed. 

Shocking and disturbing is putting it bluntly.   No doubt more to come from this.   Hope no other victims are to come to light if he's done it more than once. 

3 hours ago, steve123 said:

He has been charged with indecent exposure in connection with a 2nd women horrifying 😢

That's only so they can hold him longer. He's a Police officer, they will have understood that the guys probably forensically knowledgeable. Therefore it may prove difficult to charge him with murder in 24hrs while they hold him on suspicion.

Now that he has been charged with another crime, they can question him for as long as they want. 

jack D and coke

It’s only really hit home to me how much women are harassed since my daughter started work. She’s done a few jobs in Tesco and Starbucks etc while at uni and I reckon it won’t be too long until Im taking someone viciously by the throat. 
Some ****ing weirdos out there. 

I've been living in various areas in South West London for years, all no more than 30 minutes walk from Clapham Common. It's never crossed my mind that its not safe to walk through the common, never mind around the surrounding brightly lit streets. 

One thing coming from this is the number of females I know who have said how endangered they feel walking around and experiences they have had. As a male you never really think twice about this stuff. 

1 minute ago, Stu_HMFC said:

I wonder if the victim was knowing to this guy or a random attack .

From what I have read in various newspapers seems was random, some suggestion he  may have used his police warrant card to lure her into car , innocent until proven guilty and all but if he is guilty he should rot in jail.

4 minutes ago, steve123 said:

From what I have read in various newspapers seems was random, some suggestion he  may have used his police warrant card to lure her into car , innocent until proven guilty and all but if he is guilty he should rot in jail.

That’s nuts a random attack what goes through their heads. 

On 10/03/2021 at 15:25, Tazio said:

I feel very awkward when walking past women in the street too, which is a pretty sad situation. I'm not uncomfortable with them per se, more what they might think about a big guy walking towards them. Sadly though, it's because of far too many scumbags in the World that ruin it for us. I don't blame the women at all for being uncomfortable or wary around men. My ex had a couple of situations which just make you feel sick. 

Byyy The Light

The anti-men outrage on social media is at fever pitch on this.

Why can't everyone just come together to have a thought for what this poor girl and her family and friends have been and are going through without all the finger pointing, mud slinging and blame.  Feel so sorry for anyone to have to experience something so shocking and for it to be all over the tv.  That's bad enough without your loved one being used as some sort of point scoring exercise on social media.

Shameful.

Francis Albert
30 minutes ago, steve123 said:

The publicity and prejudging including Cressida Dick's contribution must surely threaten his chances of a fair trial and increase his chances, with a good lawyer, of getting off.

Byyy The Light
7 minutes ago, Locky said:

I feel very awkward when walking past women in the street too, which is a pretty sad situation. I'm not uncomfortable with them per se, more what they might think about a big guy walking towards them. Sadly though, it's because of far too many scumbags in the World that ruin it for us. I don't blame the women at all for being uncomfortable or wary around men. My ex had a couple of situations which just make you feel sick. 

Totally agree.  I have 2 young daughters and it fills me with fear and sadness in equal measure of what lies ahead of them.

Byyy The Light
3 minutes ago, Francis Albert said:

The publicity and prejudging including Cressida Dick's contribution must surely threaten his chances of a fair trial and increase his chances, with a good lawyer, of getting off.

Doubt it. They must have rock solid evidence to have arrested him on suspicion of murder and to have identified him and human remains so quickly if it was a random attack.

8 minutes ago, Byyy The Light said:

The anti-men outrage on social media is at fever pitch on this.

Why can't everyone just come together to have a thought for what this poor girl and her family and friends have been and are going through without all the finger pointing, mud slinging and blame.  Feel so sorry for anyone to have to experience something so shocking and for it to be all over the tv.  That's bad enough without your loved one being used as some sort of point scoring exercise on social media.

Shameful.

Just reading a women from the Green Party wants a 6pm curfew on all men on the streets so women feel

safer 

Francis Albert
12 minutes ago, Byyy The Light said:

Doubt it. They must have rock solid evidence to have arrested him on suspicion of murder and to have identified him and human remains so quickly if it was a random attack.

Innocent until proven guilty means until proven guilty in court. However solid the evidence may be in the opinion of the police or prosecutors or social media. An old fashioned concept I suppose these days.

Edited by Francis Albert

Francis Albert
3 minutes ago, theshed said:

Just reading a women from the Green Party wants a 6pm curfew on all men on the streets so women feel

safer 

No surprise there.

Byyy The Light
7 minutes ago, Francis Albert said:

Innocent until proven guilty means until proven guilty in court. However solid the evidence may be in the opinion of the police or prosecutors or social media. An old fashioned concept I suppose these days.

She said she was utterly appalled that a police officer has been arrested in connection with the disappearance.  How is that going to stop him receiving a fair trial if he is charged?

The Real Maroonblood
12 minutes ago, theshed said:

safer 

:phface:

I P Knightley
25 minutes ago, Locky said:

Seeing a lot of comments on Twitter from women who say they are constantly in a state of fear (or high alert) when walking along and especially when there's a bloke walking nearby certainly makes you think.

There's eff all I can do about it, though. I'm a big enough guy so probably more likely than average to make these people scared. I can't say to them, "it's alright, it's only me, I won't touch you" 'cos that's just extra creepy. Do I stay a safe distance behind them (knowing that I could just be biding my time to run up to them?) or do I march ahead (to a point where I can wait around a corner for them?). It just seems to be a rock and a hard place.

You're right about the scumbags, though, and there don't have to be all that many of them.

Francis Albert
2 minutes ago, Byyy The Light said:

She said she was utterly appalled that a police officer has been arrested in connection with the disappearance.  How is that going to stop him receiving a fair trial if he is charged?

It contributes to the assumption that he is guilty all over the media social and otherwise. 

5 minutes ago, Tazio said:

Appears the suspect has been treated in hospital for a head injury he got in custody. That’ll get people making up theories. 

Yea apparently they have said there was nobody else with him at the time ie his colleagues never gave him a kicking.

1 minute ago, steve123 said:

Yea apparently they have said there was nobody else with him at the time ie his colleagues never gave him a kicking.

I’d say self harm was a real possibility. 

4 minutes ago, Tazio said:

You can’t say there isn’t a problem if it takes 4 minutes to read the name of all the women killed by men in the UK in the last year. 4 ****ing minutes. 

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/av/uk-politics-56363752

Scandalous really and the latest suspect being a police officer really does not help at all, clearly the majority of police officers are there to help and protect but bad apples like this don't help with confidence etc 

Edited by steve123

1 hour ago, Francis Albert said:

giphy.gif

Pasquale for King
54 minutes ago, I P Knightley said:

Seeing a lot of comments on Twitter from women who say they are constantly in a state of fear (or high alert) when walking along and especially when there's a bloke walking nearby certainly makes you think.

There's eff all I can do about it, though. I'm a big enough guy so probably more likely than average to make these people scared. I can't say to them, "it's alright, it's only me, I won't touch you" 'cos that's just extra creepy. Do I stay a safe distance behind them (knowing that I could just be biding my time to run up to them?) or do I march ahead (to a point where I can wait around a corner for them?). It just seems to be a rock and a hard place.

You're right about the scumbags, though, and there don't have to be all that many of them.

I’m a big guy too, I make as much noise as possible with keys/change/cough etc or even cross the road. 
As I get older, slower and deafer I have to say with footwear nowadays it’s harder to hear folk and have experienced someone walking past me at night when you don’t realise there’s someone there. It does give you a momentary fright. 

97% of women polled have been sexually assaulted, that’s a scary statistic. One of work friends has spoken in the past about how she’s almost certain it will happen to her. We were on a work night out once and I assumed she was staying at her boyfriends in Leith, she was staying at her own flat and got some horrific verbal abuse from a car full of guys at the cash point in Gorgie, thankfully the taxi driver was still there. I was raging with myself. 
It’s been an interesting few days thinking about my own actions.