Toys and Games from your childhood

Maroon Sailor

JudyJudyJudy

I remember getting this which was waste of time once you scoffed the chocolates in all of 5 mins ! 😂

BC1386A7-555A-41FD-A0EF-BC87C7CE9F36.jpeg

Edited by JamesM48

• Replies 256
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Maroon Sailor

• JudyJudyJudy

• jack D and coke

• neilnunb

12 minutes ago, JamesM48 said:

I remember getting this which was waste of time once you scoffed the chocolates in all of 5 mins ! 😂

BC1386A7-555A-41FD-A0EF-BC87C7CE9F36.jpeg

My wee sister got one of those.  Once it was empty (5 mins as you say) there was nowhere that sold refills. 

JudyJudyJudy
15 minutes ago, Lemongrab said:

My wee sister got one of those.  Once it was empty (5 mins as you say) there was nowhere that sold refills. 

Exactly lol 

Governor Tarkin
1 hour ago, jack D and coke said:

2D2BA0A1-72F8-431D-A8AF-1F52516281EA.jpeg

1876205C-8677-484D-B481-A790CA1010F4.jpeg

My mate Wee Kev had one of these bad boys back around 1980. He was a destructive wee ******* and Tonka trucks were about the only thing he couldn't break.

You could fit 3 of us on it comfortably, or 4 at a squeeze, and we'd hurtle down the hill outside Allermuir Court in Oxgangs. It was a **** to turn the thing at the bottom of the hill with so many folk on it, so whoever was 'driving' would often end up wrapped about the fence down on the corner. 

'Tonka coupon' was a recognised injury amongst the parents of Oxgangs at that time. Similar to 'Hillend thumbs', which became ubiquitous when we graduated to the artificial ski slope for our downhill thrills.

download.jpeg

11 hours ago, JamesM48 said:

original-1970s-raving-bonkers-rock-em_360_7e9710685285b36a126edf4906816ed0.jpg

unnamed (2).jpg

Loved raving bonkers and would have been all over the little big horn one

Someone help me out. 70’s football  game, very like Striker but you pulled the players foot back rather than pressing the head. Nowhere near as good as striker.

I also had a rubbish Evel Kinevel rip off that you had to kinda pump up before letting the motorbike go. Really noisy thing

Edited by Jamhammer

Tommy Brown
12 minutes ago, Jamhammer said:

Someone help me out. 70’s football  game, very like Striker but you pulled the players foot back rather than pressing the head. Nowhere near as good as striker.

I also had a rubbish Evel Kinevel rip off that you had to kinda pump up before letting the motorbike go. Really noisy thing

Screenshot_20210311-053504_eBay.jpg

Tommy Brown
16 hours ago, Harry Potter said:

Subbuteo,had my pitch on a piece of chipboard outside in a shed , the surface was very smooth.

had about fifty teams, and hours of fun with my pals.

th (5).jpg

I had about 50 teams as well.

Would go to the game on the Saturday and into Fernie's of Dalry to buy one.

We had a league out in East Calder for a wee while, must have been a good dozen of us. Typical Hearts supporter I came 2nd.

Stopped going after I got beat with girl, who scored to win 1-0 with goal that VAR would have cancelled. I just score, I was demoralised.

jack D and coke
4 hours ago, Governor Tarkin said:

My mate Wee Kev had one of these bad boys back around 1980. He was a destructive wee ******* and Tonka trucks were about the only thing he couldn't break.

You could fit 3 of us on it comfortably, or 4 at a squeeze, and we'd hurtle down the hill outside Allermuir Court in Oxgangs. It was a **** to turn the thing at the bottom of the hill with so many folk on it, so whoever was 'driving' would often end up wrapped about the fence down on the corner. 

'Tonka coupon' was a recognised injury amongst the parents of Oxgangs at that time. Similar to 'Hillend thumbs', which became ubiquitous when we graduated to the artificial ski slope for our downhill thrills.

download.jpeg

Tonka coupon :lol: 

Nookie Bear
17 hours ago, neilnunb said:

😁

5da07fb39ab8cc3835093537.jpeg.jpg

I had that, and the rugby version plus the usual football stuff. 

No idea why I never kept it 😞

Nookie Bear
6 hours ago, jack D and coke said:

2D2BA0A1-72F8-431D-A8AF-1F52516281EA.jpeg

1876205C-8677-484D-B481-A790CA1010F4.jpeg

I still have that yellow one and my boy uses it. I used to be able to kneel in it and fly down the street. 

jack D and coke
Just now, Nookie Bear said:

I still have that yellow one and my boy uses it. I used to be able to kneel in it and fly down the street. 

That’s basically what we all did with them I think judging by the comments :lol: lying on them and hooring down hills and stuff. 
They took some punishment tonka’s! 

Nookie Bear

Was thinking about this subject last year after visiting the Museum of Childhood on the High Street. 

It’s a nice wee place but needs freshening up and i reckon could be a real draw if they introduced some of the things on this thread - those of us of an age would be all over that kind of nostalgia  £££

Governor Tarkin
33 minutes ago, Nookie Bear said:

:pleasing:

6 hours ago, Lemongrab said:

5bb352ad1ff10.jpg

Now *that* rings a bell. I can't remember how it worked, but I definitely used to play it.

JudyJudyJudy
3 hours ago, Jamhammer said:

Loved raving bonkers and would have been all over the little big horn one

Yes I loved the cowboys and injuns set and setting up the Calvary ! Simple pleasures really lol yes that craving bonkers was bonkers . The tv advert for it was mental 

JudyJudyJudy
5 hours ago, Governor Tarkin said:

download.jpeg

Kids still love trucks and for engines , it seems to be eternal . One if My wee nephews is 9 and he went crazy for fire engines when he was about 2/3 even taken one to bed as a comfort blanket lol he then graduated to try trucks and then dinasaurs which he has a great knowledge of . He now is on fortnite so isn’t so much a kid anymore . They grow up so quick . 🙂 his wee brother is 2 and is following the same route 

JudyJudyJudy
1 hour ago, Nookie Bear said:

Was thinking about this subject last year after visiting the Museum of Childhood on the High Street. 

It’s a nice wee place but needs freshening up and i reckon could be a real draw if they introduced some of the things on this thread - those of us of an age would be all over that kind of nostalgia  £££

It’s a great place . Taken all my Neices anc nephews there at various times . They loved it . 

Governor Tarkin
3 minutes ago, JamesM48 said:

Kids still love trucks and for engines , it seems to be eternal . One if My wee nephews is 9 and he went crazy for fire engines when he was about 2/3 even taken one to bed as a comfort blanket lol he then graduated to try trucks and then dinasaurs which he has a great knowledge of . He now is on fortnite so isn’t so much a kid anymore . They grow up so quick . 🙂 his wee brother is 2 and is following the same route 

My 2 year old takes his 'Sam nee naw' (Fireman Sam engine) to bed with him. :D

JudyJudyJudy
17 minutes ago, Governor Tarkin said:

👍 😆

Harry Potter
3 hours ago, Tommy Brown said:

I had about 50 teams as well.

Would go to the game on the Saturday and into Fernie's of Dalry to buy one.

We had a league out in East Calder for a wee while, must have been a good dozen of us. Typical Hearts supporter I came 2nd.

Stopped going after I got beat with girl, who scored to win 1-0 with goal that VAR would have cancelled. I just score, I was demoralised.

I had all the big teams, hearts, celtic, rangers, liverpool , leeds, some wee teams, hibs, they are priced at about 12 pounds now for a team, i won our league we had, my wee brother and a few pals, tues and thurs nights were matchdays.

Maroon Sailor
4 minutes ago, Harry Potter said:

I had all the big teams, hearts, celtic, rangers, liverpool , leeds, some wee teams, hibs, they are priced at about 12 pounds now for a team, i won our league we had, my wee brother and a few pals, tues and thurs nights were matchdays.

I liked how they would name more than one team for a set of colours 

This was the first packaging I can remember

Subbuteo-Norwich-City-LW-team-Ref-28-early.jpg.e844da72a441e3474ed79b7eebf9de6a.jpg

Nookie Bear
26 minutes ago, Governor Tarkin said:

Mine used to sneak about a dozen little cars into bed thinking i wouldn't notice.

Nookie Bear
Just now, Maroon Sailor said:

Used to like the show but this was a disappointment

iakgame.png.a6829555f513c71d5750bea689a00a6e.png

I cannot for the life of me see how that would work!

Maroon Sailor
4 minutes ago, Nookie Bear said:

The TV show was always about the physical side. Carrying buckets of water etc ...

The only thing this game could replicate was playing the Joker !

Edited by Maroon Sailor

Harry Potter
5 minutes ago, Nookie Bear said:

Using a lot of imagination lol, i never knew that game existed.

Great thread this, some memories flooding back.

12878768-1844842052261767.jpg

Remember losing my **** after my parents failure to get me this one xmas, got it two years later when i'd outgrown the thundercats. Wish i'd kept it though, site I got the image from selling a reproduction for 650 sheets now

Edited by Ribble

Maroon Sailor
Just now, Craig_ said:

For age 9 and above? I'm guessing this was from the 70s...

Yep

Best thing about it was the plastic horses

10 hours ago, CalMac said:

Used to have a board game called Dark Tower, which we played for hours on end. 

Had that as well. Played it non stop with my brothers.

Original_Dark_Tower_Game_Setup.0.jpg

31 minutes ago, Ribble said:

12878768-1844842052261767.jpg

Remember losing my **** after my parents failure to get me this one xmas, got it two years later when i'd outgrown the thundercats. Wish i'd kept it though, site I got the image from selling a reproduction for 650 sheets now

Yeah, I think it's due out next year so taking pre-orders. I really like the look of the new figs. Probably just as well Thundercats came along just a little too late for me in terms of getting toys (still love the cartoon though) or I might be tempted 🤣  

There was a MOTU Snake Mountain released last year costing £900 or so 😮

Tommy Brown
2 hours ago, Craig_ said:

For age 9 and above? I'm guessing this was from the 70s...

horse racing betting game, been in gamblers anonymous since childhood☹️

21 minutes ago, Footballfirst said:

Cap gun - Great for playing Cowboys and Indians

1960's Lone Star Buntline Toy Cap Gun Pistol Stripped | Etsy

Loved the smell of these. Also hitting caps with a brick when you didn’t hav a gun.

The wee round ones that you loaded in a plastic circle were louder