Edinburgh city wide parking - phase 2

Devorgilla

Seymour M Hersh
2 hours ago, The Frenchman Returns said:

Results from the Get Edinburgh Moving - Traffic survey results, have been posted through doors in Corstorphine / Gyle / East Craigs this morning.

This is a NON Council survey and makes very interesting reading. 1,621 households participated, over a third of us who got the survey completed it, the Council survey only had 768 individual responses (not households)

I can't scan right now but here are some snippets off twitter.

McInnes will read that as a mandate to do exactly as she wants and will bash on with her nonsense.  I notice there is now 3 chicanes on Craigs Rd. Just the start I suspect. 

• Replies 396
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Maroon Sailor

• Ribble

• Seymour M Hersh

• The Real Maroonblood

Shanks said no
1 hour ago, Seymour M Hersh said:

McInnes will read that as a mandate to do exactly as she wants and will bash on with her nonsense.  I notice there is now 3 chicanes on Craigs Rd. Just the start I suspect. 

Not just chicanes, also double yellows, so hard lines if you have a visitor wanting to park nearby. Mrs F said something about bike lanes too but I wasn't paying attention.

frankblack

Drumbrae Road North at rush hour is tailed back over the hill because the traffic is locked into one lane wanting to get onto Queensferry Road, exiting the city.  Meanwhile you can see that the other lane is empty at the top but can't get there.

Not a cyclist in sight, and even if there was before they can easily pass stationary cars so WTF is this for?

Wait until the offices start bringing their staff back in circa July/August and the city is going to grind to a halt.

Seymour M Hersh

Somebody told me the other week that those black and white bollards and the rubber base they sit in were £200.00 a pop. Don't know if that's accurate but if some sleuth on here can find out that would be good. Another friend said the whole thing (cycle lanes, spaces for people etc) was costing £5million again can anyone confirm this?

7 minutes ago, Seymour M Hersh said:

Somebody told me the other week that those black and white bollards and the rubber base they sit in were £200.00 a pop. Don't know if that's accurate but if some sleuth on here can find out that would be good. Another friend said the whole thing (cycle lanes, spaces for people etc) was costing £5million again can anyone confirm this?

i would say £200 would be an underestimate as you will need to include the installation costs etc. Also 20 years ago during work experience while at school a friend was with east lothian council and he was told that to paint stop/give way (i cant remember which one) on the road was a few hundred pounds, thus i would expect things to be even more expensive

been here before
14 minutes ago, Seymour M Hersh said:

Just do an FOI from the council.

Shanks said no
54 minutes ago, Seymour M Hersh said:

The company I buy stuff like this from (not for the Council) sell them. Can't see the exact same but they are around £200 including VAT, here's an example and you may need a base and fixing. Someone is making serious money from the pandemic.

https://uk.glasdon.com/road-safety/plastic-traffic-bollards/mini-ensign-tm-bollard

Jeffros Furios

The residents on Oxgangs Road are paying no attention to the cycling lane and parking outside thier homes.

Good on them but  Edinburgh Cycling Fud and his like will throw a hissy fit .

The Real Maroonblood

I see in Lanark Road the speed camera has been covered up.

Is that in case the cyclists break the speed limit?

Maroon Sailor
2 hours ago, The Real Maroonblood said:

That road had to be closed recently due to a fire at the nursery.

Just enough room for the emergency services

Maroon Sailor
2 hours ago, Jeffros Furios said:

The residents on Oxgangs Road are paying no attention to the cycling lane and parking outside thier homes.

Good on them but  Edinburgh Cycling Fud and his like will throw a hissy fit .

Think they messed with the wrong people. Don't think Oxgangs residents are known for taking any snash from jobworths

Maroon Sailor
2 hours ago, The Real Maroonblood said:

I went down there yesterday and read that they had reduced the limit to 30 but I didn't see any signs to that effect

Edited by Maroon Sailor

Shanks said no

Meadow Place Road reduced to 20mph and speed camera covered up too.

Also digging up St John’s Road, again, temporary lights, by where the Dorlin was

Shanks said no
3 minutes ago, weehammy said:

The creep that’s the council leader has tried to pin the blame for vandalism on a cycle path on opponents of spaces for people.

Mrs F said pins/nails had been left on cycle way on Queensferry Road. 

been here before
2 hours ago, Maroon Sailor said:

That road had to be closed recently due to a fire at the nursery.

Just enough room for the emergency services

I was up there when the incident was in full swing. There was no issue at all with the emergency services, and there was a good amount of them. Plenty of room on both sides and even down the road opposite the golf club for one if their pumps and there was no issues with what traffic there was.

Then the polis closed the whole road off.

The Places for People roll out is by and large atrocious but to suggest there was "just enough room for the emergency services" is wrong.

Edited by been here before

Maroon Sailor
3 minutes ago, been here before said:

I was up there when the incident was in full swing. There was no issue at all with the emergency services. Plenty of room in both sides and even down the road opposite the golf club for one if their pumps and there was no issues with what traffic there was.

Then the polis closed the whole road off.

The Places for People roll out is by and large atrocious but to suggest there was "just enough room for the emergency services" is wrong.

I didn't suggest that - I got told that.

I noticed the 44 was diverted down Wester Hailes Road so obviously couldn't get through

Edited by Maroon Sailor

31 minutes ago, weehammy said:

The creep that’s the council leader has tried to pin the blame for vandalism on a cycle path on opponents of spaces for people.

And has rightly been pulled up for it

been here before
7 minutes ago, Maroon Sailor said:

I didn't suggest that - I got told that.

I noticed the 44 was diverted down Wester Hailes Road so obviously couldn't get passed

If it couldnt get fown then its because the polis had closed the road. There was plenty room for traffic.

Screenshot_20210514-132330_Gallery.thumb.jpg.ed1669cc23cc84c378d07583d31d6cf1.jpg

Screenshot_20210514-132334_Gallery.thumb.jpg.63b7a7332f6ce3f46d5d0e29071bcc82.jpg

Screenshot_20210514-132339_Gallery.thumb.jpg.2c07b255d31594c049c22f142d20e6a0.jpg

Screenshot_20210514-132347_Gallery.thumb.jpg.d46869024af3c410e4514fba2dc25f50.jpg

The other day I slept in and hadn't moved my car from outside the flat which is single yellow, got outside just in time to see my car being taken away on a tow truck. Whilst really annoying i get it and council fully within their rights to do so, however, the traffic warden said it'd been towed rather than just ticketed because it's classed as a 'key route' that is very busy with traffic (streets never that busy), so how come on plans for a new cycle route from the foot of the walk to ocean terminal they are planning to close such a 'key route' to traffic completely?  

Hamilton Place.

When I first saw this pic I thought Photoshop until I passed it this morning.

Seriously what use is that?

A foot of extra space and they even had to stretch out the painted marking to fit it in.

FB_IMG_1621022201541.jpg

Maroon Sailor
43 minutes ago, Janbo1874 said:

Hamilton Place.

A foot of extra space and they even had to stretch out the painted marking to fit it in.

FB_IMG_1621022201541.jpg

That is utterly pathetic

More risk of going over on your ankle than getting Covid 

Edited by Maroon Sailor

12 hours ago, Janbo1874 said:

Hamilton Place.

FB_IMG_1621022201541.jpg

Hamilton Place was a horrible street to drive along before those were introduced! We do have a problem with traffic in the city. Too much traffic, too narrow streets. Will take some serious stuff being done to sort out, not tinkering around the edges.

Maroon Sailor

I see they have put more of these planters around the city.

One in Currie and one in Silverkowes Road South

No consultation apparently 

On 14/05/2021 at 21:02, Janbo1874 said:

Hamilton Place.

FB_IMG_1621022201541.jpg

Another waste of money 😂 if we are going with boris plans social distancing will be scrapped next month .

Hamilton Place.

FB_IMG_1621022201541.jpg

Not sure if has been brought up as not read the whole thread but how will the road sweeping machines clean along side the kerb with these things in place? 

ArcticJambo
1 hour ago, Maroon Sailor said:

South Queensferry

20210517_192151.thumb.jpg.65339ef6bacca565f3e67c05a8900c6a.jpg

Temporary my arse

That won't change back

With the official Diversion past the schools!  :gfy:

Maroon Sailor
1 minute ago, ArcticJambo said:

With the official Diversion past the schools!  :gfy:

Another success for the members of the good ideas club at the CEC

Spellczech
On 05/05/2021 at 19:27, Dagger Is Back said:

WTAF?

image.png.d818e0b7bec4baa33c049d9e31b8e110.png

image.png.8415c5f8132e70e6a27e40c2925e96ea.png

Have they even considered the racial non-inclusivity of using white paint? How does this stuff get through the committees?

Dagger Is Back
10 minutes ago, Spellczech said:

Have they even considered the racial non-inclusivity of using white paint? How does this stuff get through the committees?

I think that's gender specific too. Not sure where women, non binary, trans gender etc are supposed to walk. Bloody shambles

Spellczech
14 hours ago, theshed said:

Not sure if has been brought up as not read the whole thread but how will the road sweeping machines clean along side the kerb with these things in place? 

Until they can replace the diesel road sweepers with E-road sweepers (I believe they're planning to ask James Anderson to tweet Tesla for them), they are going to employ a new team of cyclists with brooms pointing forwards & leaf blowers pointing to behind.

Edited by Spellczech

Spellczech

Hamilton Place.

FB_IMG_1621022201541.jpg

Still doesn't look 2m so a total waste of time and money...

Stuart Lyon

Good point about gutter and gully cleaning! As these now a thing of the past? I know the gulley cleaning vehicle can probably still reach the sivers with their extendable hose but in doing so they will block roads while they complete the task. More congestion causing more pollution.

On 17/05/2021 at 11:39, Maroon Sailor said:

I see they have put more of these planters around the city.

One in Currie and one in Silverkowes Road South

No consultation apparently 

No time to consult, need to spend the full allocation of money from the Government so that there is no money left to remove any of it when there is no covid excuse for them.

Stuart Lyon

The CeC's idea of consultation is to accept the views of less than 1% of EH's population (not sure that all respondents are EH based) and say that is enough to justify the implementation of one of their  many vanity projects. They dare not allow us to vote on any matter as they don't want a repeat of their defeat over the proposed Congestion Charge mooted a few years ago. The vehicle hating SNP/Labour coalition are just as big a bunch of charlatans as the Tory government and we all know how much both parties hate them!

Can’t do the link but main headline in Evening news about a cyclist taking to hospital tonight 

Seymour M Hersh
28 minutes ago, The Real Maroonblood said:

Oooh the irony. Hope they are okay but must be a shite cyclist not to be able to miss these things. Maybe it was that sorry fekker who looks for arguments with car drivers. 

Edited by Seymour M Hersh

Maroon Sailor
39 minutes ago, theshed said:

Can’t do the link but main headline in Evening news about a cyclist taking to hospital tonight 

Only a matter of time 

10 minutes ago, Maroon Sailor said:

Only a matter of time 

It is. I’ve cycled down that a few times and if you’re not dodging potholes, you’re trying to avoid people walking into the cycle lane. The council have, unsurprisingly, made a total ***** of it. 

been here before
50 minutes ago, Maroon Sailor said:

Only a matter of time 

He's not the first. Im sure I read of another in Granton or simewhere who done something similar and ended up with a nasty shoulder or arm injury.

The gist being the things are shittily designed and should really have curved faces and rounded edges as opposed be basically being big rubber bricks.

Here we go, from January...

https://www.edinburghnews.scotsman.com/news/transport/edinburgh-cyclist-needed-surgery-after-crash-dangerous-base-temporary-cycle-lane-bollard-3113781

Maroon Sailor
4 minutes ago, been here before said:

He's not the first. Im sure I read of another in Granton or simewhere who done something similar and ended up with a nasty shoulder or arm injury.

The gist being the things are shittily designed and should really have curved faces and rounded edges as opposed be basically being big rubber bricks.

Here we go, from January...

https://www.edinburghnews.scotsman.com/news/transport/edinburgh-cyclist-needed-surgery-after-crash-dangerous-base-temporary-cycle-lane-bollard-3113781

FS

I wonder how many injured cyclists it will take for someone to see sense

Seymour M Hersh
8 hours ago, jonesy said:

I feel that's their aim.

Cause so much congestion that the 'need' to remove cars becomes a self-fulfilling prophecy.

More likely they'll just impose the congestion charge that was voted down all those years ago. 

frankblack
40 minutes ago, Seymour M Hersh said:

More likely they'll just impose the congestion charge that was voted down all those years ago. 

That seems to be the aim - engineer the roads into such a terrible state that no traffic can flow then point and claim its increased car use so congestion charge must happen.

been here before

Quite an interesting article here by an Associate Solicitor involved with Cycle Law Scotland.

The websites a bit crappy and you have to scroll down a fair bit:

https://www.cyclelawscotland.co.uk/blog/article/spaces-for-people

A couple of the more pertinant points-

"At Cycle Law Scotland, we have been involved in campaigns for safe cycling since our inception 10 years ago.  As a keen cyclist myself, I was somewhat bemused at how quickly local authorities were motivated to make changes to roads and paths, where previous demands for such provision had been ignored...

"What I have seen as a solicitor representing cyclists involved in accidents suffering injury is that, too often, Spaces for People measures have simply created additional hazards for cyclists. One of my clients suffered a fractured elbow needing surgery when he collided with an unmarked lane divider in a cycle lane corralling him into a limited space with potholes and speed humps to negotiate.  A separate client collided with a lane segregator kerb when entering a new cycle lane on Princes Street, Edinburgh at night...

"Whilst good intentioned, it seems that the measures implemented under Spaces for People have been poorly thought out, badly implemented and have perhaps endangered, rather than benefited, the burgeoning cycling community...

"Space for People Bollards
Indeed, from my own observations plus looking at comments on social media and news articles (never a good idea, I know), is that the implementation of Spaces for People has increased animosity between ‘cyclists’ and ‘motorists’. Motorists are angry at the congestion and road closures caused. Cyclists are angry at the poor implementation and motorists not wanting to share the roads. Battle lines are drawn, accusations of not paying road tax (psst … it’s not existed since 1937) are made, and attitudes still haven’t changed"...

• 2 weeks later...
Stuart Lyon

So far as I can glean from the Herald today over 17,500 people have objected to the Spaces for People measures introduced by the CeC charlatans. I think less than a thousand were for it. This surprisingly contrasts with the CeC's market research!

They have previously introduced other vanity projects on the back of consultation responses of circa than 3000 people (less than 1% of EH's population) so they should accept that these measures should be removed. I am a realist and I suspect that they will ignore this consultation because it doesn't suit them and compound their corruption by trying to make them permanent.

Governor Tarkin
4 minutes ago, Stuart Lyon said:

I am a realist and I suspect that they will ignore this consultation because it doesn't suit them and compound their corruption by trying to make them permanent.

This is exactly what will happen.

Direct action of some description is the only thing that'll make any difference.

The Real Maroonblood
24 minutes ago, Governor Tarkin said:

This is exactly what will happen.

Direct action of some description is the only thing that'll make any difference.

Let's do it.

I'll be right behind you.

😄