Edinburgh city wide parking - phase 2

Devorgilla

Paddy Crossan
25 minutes ago, Maroon Sailor said:

He needs to get a life that twat

Sounds like he's a South African - so that's not bloody surprising man

I've never met a nice South African was good. Can anyone put the video here?

• Replies 396
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Maroon Sailor

• Ribble

• Seymour M Hersh

• The Real Maroonblood

Spellczech
On 14/04/2021 at 16:45, Maroon Sailor said:

Bus driver loses his appeal against unfair dismissal after incident with cyclist.

Do Lothian buses ever support their drivers ?

https://www.edinburghnews.scotsman.com/news/crime/edinburgh-bus-driver-sacked-after-leith-walk-collision-with-cyclist-loses-unfair-dismissal-claim-3199484

It reads like management wanted rid of him and this was their opportunity TBH...

13 hours ago, Dagger Is Back said:

Spaces for people?

This has appeared at a junction on a main road near Juniper Green PS. There are more across the city.

What arsehole is employed at the council and at what cost, to come up with 💩 like this?

https://www.google.co.uk/amp/s/www.edinburghlive.co.uk/news/edinburgh-news/edinburgh-residents-fume-after-council-20494464.amp

Bizarre - there is a sign for dead end in the background so does this mean you can exit the street but never return?

Kennedy Bakircioglu

I like cyclingmikey. He's doing a good job in highlighting that phone use while driving is far too common. The Gandalf corner stuff is slightly different. I sometime do feel a little sympathy for the drivers.

Edinburgh Cyclist is completely different - puts himself in dangerous situations to deliberately antagonise motorists. Likes to jump out, appear in their blind spot, speed up if he sees a tight passing spot appearing.

I'm for head cameras if they are used to remove motorists' phone use. Similarly, for insurance purposes. I'm not for people creating channels and going out their way to find incidents of poor driving. 

1 minute ago, Kennedy Bakircioglu said:

I like cyclingmikey. He's doing a good job in highlighting that phone use while driving is far too common. The Gandalf corner stuff is slightly different. I sometime do feel a little sympathy for the drivers.

Edinburgh Cyclist is completely different - puts himself in dangerous situations to deliberately antagonise motorists. Likes to jump out, appear in their blind spot, speed up if he sees a tight passing spot appearing.

I'm for head cameras if they are used to remove motorists' phone use. Similarly, for insurance purposes. I'm not for people creating channels and going out their way to find incidents of poor driving. 

your last paragraph is spot on for me. it is modern society that people will film things for likes/kudos/massaging their ego etc. When if what he was doing was to just pass the footage to the police to deal with he would be less disliked and actually doing a reasonable service

Spellczech
17 hours ago, Maroon Sailor said:

Decides not to use the cycle lane

He's going at some speed - he'd never be able to overtake another cyclist in the cycle lane without hitting the  posts that are installed to cause nasty accidents for careless cyclists - hit one of those with a handlebar and you'd have a busted right hand before you even go erse over tit!. As a cyclist the only thing I can say is that going at that speed he has to cycle defensively and expect drivers to misjudge his speed...

14 minutes ago, Kennedy Bakircioglu said:

I’ve not seen anything for a while but there used to be a cyclist that used a helmet cam in London and then put the videos on YouTube. The twist being that he highlighted bad cyclists which seemed a bit odd. 

Dagger Is Back
21 minutes ago, Spellczech said:

It reads like management wanted rid of him and this was their opportunity TBH...

Bizarre - there is a sign for dead end in the background so does this mean you can exit the street but never return?

The dead end is due to the school being at the end of that road but there are two residential side streets before you hit that dead end if that makes sense?. 

18 minutes ago, Tazio said:

I’ve not seen anything for a while but there used to be a cyclist that used a helmet cam in London and then put the videos on YouTube. The twist being that he highlighted bad cyclists which seemed a bit odd. 

Dont think it’s odd at all, both sides are equally responsible for the generally poor relationship between cyclists and drivers. Probably easier for good drivers to educate bad and likewise for cyclists. 

34 minutes ago, Spellczech said:

He's going at some speed - he'd never be able to overtake another cyclist in the cycle lane without hitting the  posts that are installed to cause nasty accidents for careless cyclists - hit one of those with a handlebar and you'd have a busted right hand before you even go erse over tit!. As a cyclist the only thing I can say is that going at that speed he has to cycle defensively and expect drivers to misjudge his speed...

I also suspect that it won’t just be his bottom half that is all in black just to make himself more difficult to spot just in order to get a few more videos for youtube

1 minute ago, Ribble said:

Dont think it’s odd at all, both sides are equally responsible for the generally poor relationship between cyclists and drivers. Probably easier for good drivers to educate bad and likewise for cyclists. 

Maybe unusual would have been a better word than odd. And you are correct that his videos are meant to be educational. One of the biggest problems in areas with a lot of bikes is the differing levels of how people ride. I’ve tried a few of the new cycle lanes and found it quite frustrating that you come across people cycling slowly and the lanes are quite narrow to try and get past people travelling more slowly. But they have just as much right to be there, possibly more. We’ve all been stuck at some point behind a slow driver and know how annoying it can be. 

1 minute ago, Tazio said:

Maybe unusual would have been a better word than odd. And you are correct that his videos are meant to be educational. One of the biggest problems in areas with a lot of bikes is the differing levels of how people ride. I’ve tried a few of the new cycle lanes and found it quite frustrating that you come across people cycling slowly and the lanes are quite narrow to try and get past people travelling more slowly. But they have just as much right to be there, possibly more. We’ve all been stuck at some point behind a slow driver and know how annoying it can be. 

I generally avoid designated cycle routes as much as possible due to both other cyclists and the state of the roads. 

I both drive and cycle and get way more frustrated by slow drivers than I do cyclists (with the exception of anyone on one of the just eat bikes who are invariably cycling in a line of 3/4 people, none of which have any semblance of road awareness)

Maroon Sailor

These floating car bays in the middle of the road are dangerous. Get out your car and avoid vehicles then you try and get on the pavement without getting hit by a cyclist 😄 - as what nearly happened to me last night. Only just saw the cyclist at the last minute and he was going at some speed

Mars plastic
1 hour ago, Maroon Sailor said:

He needs to get a life that twat

Sounds like he's a South African - so that's not bloody surprising man

They're a bunch of eegnorant bastads who hate black peepol.

Maroon Sailor
1 hour ago, Paddy Crossan said:

I've never met a nice South African was good. Can anyone put the video here?

The only Spitting Image video I can find is 30 seconds long but goes a bit distorted 

Here's the song anyway

Forgot they smell like baboons 🤣

Edited by Maroon Sailor

33 minutes ago, Maroon Sailor said:

These floating car bays in the middle of the road are dangerous. Get out your car and avoid vehicles then you try and get on the pavement without getting hit by a cyclist 😄 - as what nearly happened to me last night. Only just saw the cyclist at the last minute and he was going at some speed

I’ve not seen any of these in the flesh on a busy road yet. It sounds like sheer idiocy. And unworkable for anyone with mobility problems that need time to enter/exit a vehicle. 

Maroon Sailor
20 minutes ago, jonnothejambo said:

There is one particular video where a lorry driver gives him dog's abuse.

If this is the clip he brings it on himself

Jeffros Furios

The cycling chap is Dutch not South African . 

Maroon Sailor
3 minutes ago, Jeffros Furios said:

The cycling chap is Dutch not South African . 

That explains why he likes to clog up the traffic

3fingersreid
8 hours ago, Spellczech said:

Technically speeding perhaps ? 
Going at that speed if he hits another person it could be a bit more than a bad injury received by one or more involved 

Seymour M Hersh
9 hours ago, Spellczech said:

I wish Lesley Macinnes would exit Edinburgh and never return. 

4 minutes ago, Kennedy Bakircioglu said:

Cyclingmikey is not South African, nor Dutch. 

Well on his Twitter he has his location as London/Netherlands and most people seem to think he’s Dutch. 

Also from an interview he did online “Close, but not quite. I've a Zimbabwean accent, but I'm actually Dutch as in the Netherlands.”

Kennedy Bakircioglu

Ah fair enough. It was interesting seeing just how many would incorrectly label him as South African, with standard anti South African comment to follow. 

Maroon Sailor

Screenshot_20210503-084437_Twitter.thumb.jpg.e87afd447b0a95d30cacfda43f50a666.jpg

The Netherlands and Zimbabwe flags on his Twitter account.

Stands to reason - a lot of Dutch people are arrogant and I've never met a nice Zimbabwean 

Spellczech
2 hours ago, Maroon Sailor said:

Screenshot_20210503-084437_Twitter.thumb.jpg.e87afd447b0a95d30cacfda43f50a666.jpg

The Netherlands and Zimbabwe flags on his Twitter account.

Stands to reason - a lot of Dutch people are arrogant and I've never met a nice Zimbabwean 

It is funny when you are in Amsterdam and you see tourists wandering into the bike lanes - they get proper bawled at! Not really a surprise that a Dutchman brings that approach to London

I think this must be how Edinburgh council see the future of the city.

Maroon Sailor
50 minutes ago, Lemongrab said:

How is anybody supposed to move with all those feckers? 

Paddy Crossan
22 hours ago, Maroon Sailor said:

Got the video

Thanks for that. The only South African I have known was when I was working in the Isle of Man. He was very much a racist. When I first came across him one of his first comments was "at least you're the right colour". I didn't react much as he was my boss.

Harry Potter
11 minutes ago, Maroon Sailor said:

How is anybody supposed to move with all those feckers? 

bikes all ower the shoap, 😧

Unknown user
1 hour ago, Lemongrab said:

Prinsengracht Amsterdam

1 hour ago, Lemongrab said:

Interesting that the cyclists are all cycling quite slowly and dressed in everyday clothes. Not like the Tour de France guys here, going at 30mph

Unknown user
11 minutes ago, buzz said:

Interesting that the cyclists are all cycling quite slowly and dressed in everyday clothes. Not like the Tour de France guys here, going at 30mph

I've cycled round God knows how many Dutch towns, from wee villages to the big cities, and it works. There's give and take, people are careful at junctions, car drivers grew up on bikes so they're careful, respectful and understanding of the situation, and if something does go wrong they deal with it reasonably and go about their day.

But this Mikey tit is Dutch and acts and cycles like no Dutch man I ever met!

Stuart Lyon

Anyone know why London Street  now has  a Local Access Only status? Yet another bond boggling CeC initiative!

1 hour ago, buzz said:

It because cycling is just a means to getting somewhere, and a safe one. 

Des Lynam
23 minutes ago, Stuart Lyon said:

Anyone know why London Street  now has  a Local Access Only status? Yet another bond boggling CeC initiative!

You want to see what they’ve done at Braid Avenue and the surrounding streets. I have yet to meet anyone who isn’t a total idiot that works for the council. 

1 hour ago, buzz said:

Not like the Tour de France guys here, going at 30mph

In NL you'll find them out and about early morning, evenings or the whole weekend.

Angry Haggis

Drove through Longstone road today since those cycle lanes went in. The section heading west just before the bus depot just does not seem thought out well. 

And as a former cyclist I’m all for promoting more bike use. 

Maroon Sailor

Comiston Road / Pentland Terrace is going to be horrendous getting in and out of the City during peak hours

Jeffros Furios
1 hour ago, Maroon Sailor said:

Comiston Road / Pentland Terrace is going to be horrendous getting in and out of the City during peak hours

The whole city is a funking mess whoever is on these committees is a wank. 

frankblack
17 minutes ago, Jeffros Furios said:

The whole city is a funking mess whoever is on these committees is a wank. 

Yesterday I was travelling back along Ferry Road and an Ambulence couldn't get past on the other side because the traffic couldn't pull over due to the batshit mental cycle lane.

I think the whole plan here is that the council want to cause so much congestion they can then force through the congestion charge that the people rejected previously.

Jeffros Furios
2 minutes ago, frankblack said:

Yesterday I was travelling back along Ferry Road and an Ambulence couldn't get past on the other side because the traffic couldn't pull over due to the batshit mental cycle lane.

I think the whole plan here is that the council want to cause so much congestion they can then force through the congestion charge that the people rejected previously.

I would love to speak in person to anyone who tries to justify this nonsense. 

Also the street cleaning vehicles are now unable to clean the gutters due to the bollards. 

Governor Tarkin
4 hours ago, Des Lynam said:

You want to see what they’ve done at Braid Avenue and the surrounding streets. I have yet to meet anyone who isn’t a total idiot that works for the council. 

I drove that way the other day. Actually couldn't believe what I was seeing. It makes no sense at all.

15 minutes ago, Jeffros Furios said:

I would love to speak in person to anyone who tries to justify this nonsense. 

Also the street cleaning vehicles are now unable to clean the gutters due to the bollards. 

Really late to this thread and it’s maybe been mentioned?  Have you noticed the new phenomenon on the roads?

Putting side my hate for what’s happening to the roads for a sec, but why do drivers swerve when they pass an island going along a road with bollards?🤷🏼‍♂️😂.    I do believe the road is still straight and wide enough for a vehicle to go in a straight line!

Meadow Place Road is a sight to behold when driving its full length.  I was behind a driver who swerved at every island, of which there are many, along that road. 👀👀

Jeffros Furios
1 minute ago, Debut 4 said:

Really late to this thread and it’s maybe been mentioned?  Have you noticed the new phenomenon on the roads?

Putting side my hate for what’s happening to the roads for a sec, but why do drivers swerve when they pass an island going along a road with bollards?🤷🏼‍♂️😂.    I do believe the road is still straight and wide enough for a vehicle to go in a straight line!

Meadow Place Road is a sight to behold when driving its full length.  I was behind a driver who swerved at every island, of which there are many, along that road. 👀👀

Wait until the tourists use the roads 😀

frankblack
42 minutes ago, Debut 4 said:

They have some unclear road marking by traffic islands and put a bollard just past the traffic island forcing cars to swerve.

Same with at junctions such as Ferry Road to Morrisons coming from town where cars in the other lane are a bit too close because you would have to go into the bollards otherwise.

I've seen quite a few bollards that have been flattened, presumably by vehicles not seeing them due to their poorly visible markings.

14 minutes ago, frankblack said:

They have some unclear road marking by traffic islands and put a bollard just past the traffic island forcing cars to swerve.

Same with at junctions such as Ferry Road to Morrisons coming from town where cars in the other lane are a bit too close because you would have to go into the bollards otherwise.

I've seen quite a few bollards that have been flattened, presumably by vehicles not seeing them due to their poorly visible markings.

Don’t get me wrong, I’m not on the side of the poor road management. I get some people are nervy driving but ffs, not nearly everyone! 😂

There’s a clear space opposite the islands. People swerve into it for no reason 🤷🏼‍♂️

The bollard is set past the island on the left , not directly opposite it. Keep driving reasonably straight as you would normally.  People need to get a grip 😂

Maroon Sailor
1 hour ago, Debut 4 said:

That's just a horrible road now. God help any emergency vehicle getting through if traffic on both sides of the road are snarled up