• Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Pasquale for King

• Mikey1874

• Lord Beni of Gorgie

• Cruyff

Just now, davemclaren said:

They agreed a settlement. 

Ah, ok. Mind you, if you're the manager of the likes of Hearts or Aberdeen you should be sacked if ye let Hibs finish higher than ye. 

4 hours ago, kingantti1874 said:

But their best manager since Alex Ferguson by an absolute mile. 

so many forget what an absolute irrelevance Aberdeen have been for 30 years pre mcinnes.. sadly we have doing our best to pick up that award

Alex Smith was much better for them tbf

Pasquale for King
1 hour ago, jambonian said:

Ah, ok. Mind you, if you're the manager of the likes of Hearts or Aberdeen you should be sacked if ye let Hibs finish higher than ye. 

You should, but they’ve got 6 games to sort that out 🤞.  

Pasquale for King
4 hours ago, kingantti1874 said:

so many forget what an absolute irrelevance Aberdeen have been for 30 years pre mcinnes.. sadly we have doing our best to pick up that award

As they were for 70 years before Fergie, hopefully their new manager can take them back to pre 80s level again. 

Guest ToqueJambo
1 hour ago, jambonian said:

Hibs, Motherwell and Kilmarnock in the last 3 seasons under McInnes. He's the most over-rated manager in our game. 

Guest ToqueJambo
5 hours ago, kingantti1874 said:

Is that because he's a good manager or because his period in charge coincided with massive investment in the Aberdeen team and competitors like Hibs, Hearts, Rangers and D Utd either not in the league or weaker? There's always going to be a caveat against those 2nd places. If he'd won more than one LC in that time, and hadn't bottled so many OF games (and Hearts games for that matter) and cup semis and finals, I'd rate him higher. Neilson pushed Celtic closer in a cup final than McInnes managed in 3 against them. Even the cup he won was won on penalties against Caley.

Edited by ToqueJambo

4 hours ago, TheBigO said:

Just been sent this - apparently Ross Nicholson is a Dons fan whose mates have made up a fake wiki for - and got him to 10/1 at the bookies!

Pretty funny actually.  Certainly shows this market up for what it is.

Stephen Glass got a to be a stick-on you'd think.  Guess it'd come down to whether he wanted to up sticks - you'd think got a pretty decent life where he is.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/56336277

Every manager has a shelf life. Some longer than others. Robinson tried to leave at his peak but stayed too long. Mcinnes had job offers but turned them down. Bet the new manager salary nowhere near what mcinnes was on!

51 minutes ago, ToqueJambo said:

Hibs, Motherwell and Kilmarnock in the last 3 seasons under McInnes. He's the most over-rated manager in our game. 

Tommy Brown
16 minutes ago, brypie04 said:

:lol:

"Me and my pals were all looking at the odds coming out, all wanting to know who the new manager will be, and one of my them thought 'Why not, we'll chance it'," Nicholson told BBC Scotland.

"So he contacted a betting company on Twitter and gave them my name, asking for the odds on me to be the next manager.

"The betting firms do their checks and see if an actual person exists with this information, so I was thinking that will be the end of it.

"Then one of my pals searched the internet and came across a goalkeeper with my name in New Zealand."

An edited Wikipedia page later - the clues were there with Nicholson's current club given as Czech outfit 'Diznei Exeest' - and he was in with the big names as the prank took off.

"All of a sudden I've popped up as third favourite at 7/1 - a mate has put a fiver on me," Nicholson added.

"It was nice to be ahead of the likes of Eddie Howe. I was a bit disappointed to see I was behind Craig Levein - I thought I'd have been a bit better than him..."

Seymour M Hersh
1 hour ago, jonesy said:

Think about the poor Dons fans stuck in the 80s who still have another 30/40 years until they find out.

True Jonesy. No chance of one in particular being able to "see the light" for decades. 

Guest ToqueJambo
2 hours ago, Mikey1874 said:

Interesting. Always liked Valdas :) and Robbie of course. Still maintain given his advantages in terms of money and weakened rivals, McInnes should have converted that into more trophies and put in more of a challenge when the league was up to more like its usual full strength (ie the last 3 or 4 years). And he had multiple chances to win cups and do something in Europe, which he mostly failed to take. We did better in two SC finals against Celtic with severely weakened teams.

It would be interesting to see McInnes's head-to-head record against us, Rangers and Celtic in all comps.

Edited by ToqueJambo

2 hours ago, davemclaren said:

Interesting numbers, in several ways. 😄

Yeah

I've thought several times of trying to say something about them. 

But it's a long debate. 

37 minutes ago, ToqueJambo said:

Interesting. Always liked Valdas :) and Robbie of course. Still maintain given his advantages in terms of money and weakened rivals, McInnes should have converted that into more trophies and put in more of a challenge when the league was up to more like its usual full strength (ie the last 3 or 4 years). And he had multiple chances to win cups and do something in Europe, which he mostly failed to take. We did better in two SC finals against Celtic with severely weakened teams.

It would be interesting to see McInnes's head-to-head record against us, Rangers and Celtic in all comps.

Yes

Again I nearly said something earlier. 

But would need a bit longer to check which clubs have better records in 'big games'. 

I'd say there are several. 

Guest ToqueJambo
48 minutes ago, Mikey1874 said:

Yes

Again I nearly said something earlier. 

But would need a bit longer to check which clubs have better records in 'big games'. 

I'd say there are several. 

In some ways he's a Levein (early version) clone. Solid at building teams and winning points over a season, but falls down when it comes to putting in a genuine challenge to the OF. And Levein was operating in a full strength top league with much stronger OF clubs.

John Findlay

Obviously words have been exchanged between him and Cormack if not then I believe he would have got until the end of the season. Cormack pays the piper so he gets to call the tune.

Lord Beni of Gorgie
11 minutes ago, John Findlay said:

Obviously words have been exchanged between him and Cormack if not then I believe he would have got until the end of the season. Cormack pays the piper so he gets to call the tune.

Mcinnes was very close to Milne. He was basically given run of the place, pretty much an unnamed director, involved in everything. 

Cormack coming in is not so keen to involve him, the Atlanta link, well Aberdeen are not King.

Derek's ego was probably bruised months ago, I'm guessing, but his esteem among the players may have slipped as a result. 

Add the loss of McKenna and Cosgrove, both held onto too long at Mcinnes behest, festering some ill feeling, no crowds and a general malaise in Scottish football in general his time simply had come. 

His regret I would imagine, another job didn't crop up in the last 12 months. 

Big appointment this for Cormack, suspect he could use a DoF but not sure that would be a relationship Dave wants. Touch of Vladimir, probably thinks he knows more than he does 

John Findlay
2 minutes ago, Sir Gio said:

Mcinnes was very close to Milne. He was basically given run of the place, pretty much an unnamed director, involved in everything. 

Cormack coming in is not so keen to involve him, the Atlanta link, well Aberdeen are not King.

Derek's ego was probably bruised months ago, I'm guessing, but his esteem among the players may have slipped as a result. 

Add the loss of McKenna and Cosgrove, both held onto too long at Mcinnes behest, festering some ill feeling, no crowds and a general malaise in Scottish football in general his time simply had come. 

His regret I would imagine, another job didn't crop up in the last 12 months. 

Big appointment this for Cormack, suspect he could use a DoF but not sure that would be a relationship Dave wants. Touch of Vladimir, probably thinks he knows more than he does 

Your last paragraph is the most telling one for me.

Pasquale for King

I wonder if Mcinnes had been tapped up for the Sheffield Utd job? Got to be better than the caretaker Paul Heckingbottom 😱😂.

Guest ToqueJambo

McInnes is never going to the EPL. He's going to be a pundit on Sportsound now as is the way with these things - him vs Levein could be fun - or  he'll disappear to lower league England for a while. The only realistic bigger job up here is us. No thanks. I could see him taking the Hibs job if Ross leaves when the merrygoround starts up. Sadly if Clarke leaves I think he'd be considered for the Scotland job.

IveSeenTheLight
On 09/03/2021 at 16:32, jonesy said:

Think about the poor Dons fans stuck in the 80s who still have another 30/40 years until they find out.

Think you’ve made a rather obvious error there.

Incidentally, I see Hearts fans reference the 80’s more than any Dons fan.

IveSeenTheLight
On 09/03/2021 at 18:01, Seymour M Hersh said:

True Jonesy. No chance of one in particular being able to "see the light" for decades. 

Hahaha, missing me?

IveSeenTheLight
1 minute ago, Seymour M Hersh said:

Like a fish misses a bicycle. 

you’d still be sniffing the bicycle seat though 😝

Seymour M Hersh
6 minutes ago, IveSeenTheLight said:

you’d still be sniffing the bicycle seat though 😝

That must be a side show that you and others in Aberdeen partake in outside of mutton abusing season. Must be where the phrase surf & turf originated. 

IveSeenTheLight
2 minutes ago, jonesy said:

Not as big as the one you've made.

We reference it because we look back on it. You're still living it.

Nope, you’re still not getting your error.

If we were stuck in the 80’s we’d never learn about McInnes being dented.

Still, Hearts fans definitely bring up the 80’s more than Dons fans, can only think of one reason why.

Done well at Aberdeen tbf, shame there fans don't realise that the board could of backed him far more, rather than aiming the blame at him. 

His football is shit, but when you have to start replacing star player every season, Jack, Shinnie, list goes on etc. 

Then what can you expect Derek mcinnes to do? He ain't fecking superman. 

He got maddison in on loan. 

The board should've of really backed him more, he turned down Sunderland and Rangers to stay with them. 

Don't get me wrong his style of play is honking but the same can be said about us in my opinion. 

Aberdeen fans anger should be with the board not him 😂 arseholes. 

Edited by Bongo 1874

Guest ToqueJambo
59 minutes ago, IveSeenTheLight said:

Nope, you’re still not getting your error.

If we were stuck in the 80’s we’d never learn about McInnes being dented.

Still, Hearts fans definitely bring up the 80’s more than Dons fans, can only think of one reason why.

We reflect on rather than live in the 80s because it was when we started getting better again, after being good in the 50s and 60s. The 80s is a massively important decade for us because of that, plus we have  things like 85/85 and taking on Bayern to reminisce about. None of us would choose to go back to that time though. We have several periods we can choose from where we actually won things so we'd choose the Terrible Trio days or JJ's time or 05/06 or 2011/12. 

You live in the 80s because it's literally the only time you were good. You would all go back to that time in a second because the only alternative is reliving your couple of LCs or 2nd places in a weakened league.

Edited by ToqueJambo

IveSeenTheLight
1 hour ago, ToqueJambo said:

We reflect on rather than live in the 80s because it was when we started getting better again, after being good in the 50s and 60s. The 80s is a massively important decade for us because of that, plus we have  things like 85/85 and taking on Bayern to reminisce about. None of us would choose to go back to that time though. We have several periods we can choose from where we actually won things so we'd choose the Terrible Trio days or JJ's time or 05/06 or 2011/12. 

You live in the 80s because it's literally the only time you were good. You would all go back to that time in a second because the only alternative is reliving your couple of LCs or 2nd places in a weakened league.

i don’t live in the 80’s.

Yes it was a fantastic period for us, but it was a generation ago.

There are many fans who were not fortunate enough to enjoy that and have had to endure decades of piss poor performance, where we no doubt underperformed.

Times have changed and unfortunately, financial superiority dominates the market, it’s the same for most leagues.

In that sense, clubs like Aberdeen, Hearts and Hibs are relatively in the same financial ball park and should be realistically competing with each other.

I think football in Scotland would thrive without the two cheeks as in no doubt, the league would be far more competitive.

IveSeenTheLight
4 hours ago, Nookie Bear said:

Did I read that the sheep are looking to appoint the Stephen Glass/Scott Brown Dream Team?

That’s the rumours

Tommy Brown
4 hours ago, Nookie Bear said:

Did I read that the sheep are looking to appoint the Stephen Glass/Scott Brown Dream Team?

Please be true:lol:

Need to keep up my hatred of Broon and that will renew my hatred for Aberdeen.

Should go hilariously wrong.

IveSeenTheLight
13 minutes ago, Tommy Brown said:

Please be true:lol:

Need to keep up my hatred of Broon and that will renew my hatred for Aberdeen.

Should go hilariously wrong.

Dons fans are not enamoured with it either, but let’s face it, we’re not going to attract any high profile manager, so whoever we take in will be a bit of a gambol.

Stephen Glass, very inexperienced, but I gather didn’t go through the Largs coaching route, which once upon a time was lauded, but I’m not convinced by the latest  batch of managers is really that successful, so if he is the manager, hopefully he’s bringing a different approach to the game.

Brown. Agreed an utter welt of a man it would seem. Some Dons fans were promoting Darren Fletcher as a young potential manager who may have a different modern philosophy of how to play, so if Brown were to come, he’s the Scottish Premier League equivalent to Fletcher in that he has been a repeated winner for his club, in his league, so he would hopefully install some arrogant confidence into the players to believe in themselves.

I’m not convinced though and I read Celtic are offering an extension so maybe just gamesmanship to get a better deal there.

Owners can have so much influence.

Chris Wilder leaving Sheffield United. Dave Cormack's influence now right through club. 

Manager appointment will confirm that. 

Tommy Brown
2 minutes ago, Mikey1874 said:

Owners can have so much influence.

Chris Wilder leaving Sheffield United. Dave Cormack's influence now right through club. 

Manager appointment will confirm that. 

Yeah, disappointed for Wilder.

I imagine the vast majority of Blades would liked to have kept him at the helm.

John Findlay
46 minutes ago, IveSeenTheLight said:

Dons fans are not enamoured with it either, but let’s face it, we’re not going to attract any high profile manager, so whoever we take in will be a bit of a gambol.

Stephen Glass, very inexperienced, but I gather didn’t go through the Largs coaching route, which once upon a time was lauded, but I’m not convinced by the latest  batch of managers is really that successful, so if he is the manager, hopefully he’s bringing a different approach to the game.

Brown. Agreed an utter welt of a man it would seem. Some Dons fans were promoting Darren Fletcher as a young potential manager who may have a different modern philosophy of how to play, so if Brown were to come, he’s the Scottish Premier League equivalent to Fletcher in that he has been a repeated winner for his club, in his league, so he would hopefully install some arrogant confidence into the players to believe in themselves.

I’m not convinced though and I read Celtic are offering an extension so maybe just gamesmanship to get a better deal there.

Should have stuck with what you had. Start of the managerial Merry go round at Aberdeen I fear.

1 hour ago, IveSeenTheLight said:

Could be worse.  You might get a dream team of Lennon and Broonie.

1 hour ago, IveSeenTheLight said:

Dons fans are not enamoured with it either, but let’s face it, we’re not going to attract any high profile manager, so whoever we take in will be a bit of a gambol

Paging Dr Freud.

21 minutes ago, JamboAl said:

Could be worse.  You might get a dream team of Lennon and Broonie.

Obvious move when Glass gets sacked in October 

2 hours ago, IveSeenTheLight said:

Regardless of him being a welt, surely there is no way Cormack can sanction the appointment of Brown after all the Shay Logan stuff? 

How to alienate a dressing room even more...

• 2 weeks later...
  • davemclaren changed the title to McInnes leaves Aberdeen - Glass appointed