Where does Robbie rank in Hearts managers since Tommy Walker

Broxburn Jambo

Broxburn Jambo

I am trying to get my head around the number of Robbie haters on here, so since I have been watching Hearts since 1963, I would love people to tell me which managers were better

18 minutes ago, Broxburn Jambo said:

I am trying to get my head around the number of Robbie haters on here, so since I have been watching Hearts since 1963, I would love people to tell me which managers were better

Alex MacDonald

Jim Jefferies 

George Burley

Ivanuaskas

Fax Machine

Paulo Sergio

Neilson (14/15)

Broxburn Jambo
1 minute ago, Gambo said:

Alex MacDonald

Jim Jefferies 

George Burley

Ivanuaskas

Fax Machine

Paulo Sergio

Neilson (14/15)

Alex MacDonald - Unfortunately Won nothing

Jim Jefferies - Of course He brought a trophy back  

George Burley - We will never know

Ivanuaskas - Had the best players in two generations

Fax Machine - Not worthy of an answer

Paulo Sergio - Would he be remembered the same had he not won 5 - 1

Neilson (14/15) About to repeat and win a second trophy ( a feat not done since Tommy Walker )

1 minute ago, Broxburn Jambo said:

Neilson (14/15) About to repeat and win a second trophy ( a feat not done since Tommy Walker )

😂

I stopped reading when you questioned Alex MacDonald.......

Old age is a funny thing.

6 minutes ago, Broxburn Jambo said:

🤣😂😅😂

Really, is this the level some Hearts fans have sunk to? 😲

4 minutes ago, DH1986 said:

😂

Alex Macdonald was sacked inevitability because we kept losing on the big occasions semifinals cup ties etc, fans at that time were frustrated at being the perennial bridesmaid, not many disagreed with his dismissal at the time, the capture of Joe Jordan was seen as a massive coup at the time, incidentally Jordan had turned down the Aston Villa job 2 months previously 

Broxburn Jambo
7 minutes ago, DH1986 said:

😂

What did he win, is he above or below Jefferies, Sergio, Ivanuaskas ? I still think he is ranked higher than the latter two

Just now, jbee647 said:

Alex Macdonald was sacked inevitability because we kept losing on the big occasions semifinals cup ties etc, fans at that time were frustrated at being the perennial bridesmaid, not many disagreed with his dismissal at the time, the capture of Joe Jordan was seen as a massive coup at the time, incidentally Jordan had turned down the Aston Villa job 2 months previously 

Thanks for that.......

Still won’t stop me laughing at the OP ridiculously insinuating RN is a better Hearts manager than Alex MacDonald. 

Just now, Broxburn Jambo said:

What did he win, is he above or below Jefferies, Sergio, Ivanuaskas ? I still think he is ranked higher than the latter two

If I have to explain to you why Alex MacDonald was a better Hearts manager than Robbie Neilson then the chances are it’s too late for you to understand and I’m certainly not going to waste my time attempting it.

You said you were there so you really should know.

49 minutes ago, Broxburn Jambo said:

Obviously Bobby Seith, Rixy and Squirrel McLean.

Get with it.

Johnny Sandiego
20 minutes ago, Broxburn Jambo said:

But he did though, he picked the team and managed us to the greatest win in the club's history. Where do we stop with that? Would JJ be as well remembered if we didnt win the cup in 1998?

10 minutes ago, DH1986 said:

Thanks for that.......

Still won’t stop me laughing at the OP ridiculously insinuating RN is a better Hearts manager than Alex MacDonald. 

Alex Macdonald was a fantastic manager for Hearts and was responsible for the renaissance of Hearts in the 80s, but like all managers he had a shelf life and inevitably he had to go

15 minutes ago, jbee647 said:

Jordan actually had half decent stats. Players didn’t like him much apparently.

Jeffros Furios
21 minutes ago, Gambo said:

🤣😂😅😂

Really, is this the level some Hearts fans have sunk to? 😲

There are a few posters who have no standards whatsoever 

I sometimes wonder if they  really are Hearts supporters because I don't know any like them in real life .

adambraejambo
41 minutes ago, Broxburn Jambo said:

WInning the championship twice is about the save level as winning the 6's twice in my opinion. Not bashing Neilson I'm sure he would laugh at anyone comparing winning the championship twice in same sentence as the great Tommy Walker . 

Glamorgan Jambo

Alex MacDonald picked up the Hearts that had been in decline for 15 years and with Sandy Jardine built a team that challenged for the league within 5 years.

Jefferies first time round got us over the line in terms of winning a trophy and built as good a Hearts team as I’ve seen in my lifetime. 

There were some great results over the Vlad years but the coaches were never in place long enough to be judged (including Jefferies Mk 2, Burley, Sergio) and our spend on players was the highest ever. 

Honourable mentions to Jordan and Levein mk1 for the results and league finishes they delivered.

Neilson first time round did very well. Winning a tough championship at a canter and re establishing us as a top 4 club. Too many odd circumstances this season. Next season he needs to establish us in the top 6. What he does after that will establish his legacy and whether he’s in the same class as MacDonald and Jefferies.

Geoff Kilpatrick
53 minutes ago, Broxburn Jambo said:

If we are counting Division 1 titles, surely Willie Ormond is up there for 77/78! :laugh:

He's only just at the beginning of the job so is pointless debating.

His numbers stack up so far, that's all that matters to anyone with half a brain, so that rules out most of JKB anyway.

1 hour ago, Broxburn Jambo said:

It's your thread to rank Robbie in comparison to his predecessors, do you rank him above or below MacDonald? 

Edited by fancy a brew

Weakened Offender

Alex Macdonald is the greatest manager in my lifetime. Rescued the club from the soulless place it was in and instilled a mentality in Edinburgh Derbies that has lasted to this day. 

JJ was a legend and played great attacking football. There were a couple of awkward seasons too though. 

Sergio should be THE man but instructing the players to stop scoring in the final was maybe not unforgivable but definitely worth remembering. 

Robbie is next. 

Nookie Bear
14 minutes ago, Geoff Kilpatrick said:

If we are counting Division 1 titles, surely Willie Ormond is up there for 77/78! :laugh:

Two Tennants 6’s for MacDonald though. 

15 minutes ago, Geoff Kilpatrick said:

Willie Ormonds 77/78 side finished runners up to Morton

Bobby Moncur however won the first division in 1980

Edited by jbee647

21 minutes ago, adambraejambo said:

WInning the championship twice is about the save level as winning the 6's twice in my opinion. Not bashing Neilson I'm sure he would laugh at anyone comparing winning the championship twice in same sentence as the great Tommy Walker . 

Cmon the Tennents sixes was a kick about tournament, Whatever you think of Neilson his championship winning teams are worth 10x more than the Tennants 6s

Geoff Kilpatrick
4 minutes ago, jbee647 said:

Fair point. That's an even better example though. At least Ormond had a managerial track record!

Nookie Bear
2 minutes ago, jbee647 said:

Cmon the Tennents sixes was a kick about tournament, Whatever you think of Neilson his championship winning teams are worth 10x more than the Tennants 6s

I know! I think we used to list it as an honour in the match day programme though 🤣

Geoff Kilpatrick
11 minutes ago, Nookie Bear said:

No McGlynn, No Party

Incidentally I would have Levein ahead of Robbie, based on his first spell.

As would I.

Levein never lost to a pub team in Europe.

1 hour ago, Johnny Sandiego said:

But he did though, he picked the team and managed us to the greatest win in the club's history. Where do we stop with that? Would JJ be as well remembered if we didnt win the cup in 1998?

In answer to your question YES!

His brand of football was attacking and entertaining, not to mention 3(or was it 2?) 3rd places.

Tommy Brown
42 minutes ago, jbee647 said:

Correct we managed to sack Willie when top of the league:lol:

Correctly I may add.

Edit

Watch out Robbie, we have form for sacking managers when top of the league, that's two that I remember.

Edited by Tommy Brown

2 hours ago, Gambo said:

Alex MacDonald

Jim Jefferies 

George Burley

Ivanuaskas

Fax Machine

Paulo Sergio

Neilson (14/15)

Levein was decent the first time as for Robbie Dundee play a certain way so he thinks the diamond formation was the way yesterday 

Would Celtic or rangers change the way they play  against say Motherwell 

I think it’s pretty obvious he hasn’t a scooby doo 

Geoff Kilpatrick
37 minutes ago, cosanostra said:

Top 5 worst

Mental Eddy Malofeev

2nd spell Levein

Ian Cathro

John McGlynn

Tommy McLean

Correction:

Malofeev

The Committee

Cathro

Levein Mk II

McGlynn

38 minutes ago, Geoff Kilpatrick said:

Correction:

Malofeev

The Committee

Cathro

Levein Mk II

McGlynn

👌

4 hours ago, JimmyCant said:

Jordan actually had half decent stats. Players didn’t like him much apparently.

Understandable. Manager comes in who’s spent time in the rarified super professional world of Serie A, at the time years ahead of the British game in terms of tactics and the players attitude to fitness and training. Scottish football at the time, finish training, head off to the snooker club or the golf course. Plenty pub visits alongside it, trawling the nightclubs of a Saturday night. Then just to prove the point of conditioning he comes on as a player in a testimonial and puts in a performance. 

5 hours ago, Broxburn Jambo said:

If you like and/or don’t mind the guy, and you don’t hate him, but think he isn’t the right fit for the managers job at Homfc, is it still alright to take a punt on the above question ? 

John Findlay

What I cant get my head around is that for a manager who doesnt have a scooby( according to some), then why are we sitting at the top of the league currently 15pts ahead. With a GD of plus 25, which is currently 17 goals better off than the team in second. 

Although the football is not of the Man City variety that many believe we should be playing. We are still in the best position.

There must be loads of supporters who wish they had a manager who didnt have a scooby.

A_A wehatethehibs

I don’t always think it’s fair to compare different eras but one thing we can all agree on is, he’s the best we’ve had out of the 6 who’ve took the helm since Sergio. By far. 

You’ve got some Hearts fans saying through the years not to be harsh in judgement because we don’t win things often, and now we’re being asked to judge because someone wants to point score? 🤷🏻‍♂️

10 hours ago, Broxburn Jambo said:

Oh dear!!

10 hours ago, jbee647 said:

Bear in mind that Robbie has only won one big game at Hampden and only after someone else had got us there. Even suggesting Robbie might be better than Doddie is one of the craziest things I’ve ever read on here. The players should take more of the blame for Hearts freezing on the big occasion. After all, Alex MacDonald brought AIRDRIEONIANS to Hampden and done us twice!

I’m on record, and happy to repeat, that I do dislike Robbie, but it’s nothing to do with his managerial ability or his record. He’s taken the Hearts job twice whilst someone was actually in the job and had not been informed of their departure. My information is that he actually sat in on the meeting that Gary Locke was told he was no longer required. In between that and the Stendel fiasco, he buggered off to MK feckin Dons, for MONEY. It had nowt to do with fans not liking him or hiring planes. Wouldn’t turn your back on him if he has a knife in his hand.

Having said all that, he did do a good job first time around and if (IF) he repeats that, I’ll be delighted. Hearts aren’t about one man or woman and as long as we’re winning, my personal feelings about the employees will be way at the back of my tiny mind. 

7 hours ago, Geoff Kilpatrick said:

Correction:

Malofeev

The Committee

Cathro

Levein Mk II

McGlynn

I'd add Locke and Tommy McLean to the list.

13 minutes ago, frankblack said:

I'd add Locke and Tommy McLean to the list.

McLean in for McGlynn, yes. Harsh on Locke and to a lesser extent, McGlynn, given their hands were tied behind their backs with their ankles tied to their wrists for good measure. Uninspiring/cheap appointments they may have been but one drew at Anfield and the other had a team of kids who achieved an 80% win ratio over Hibs and a decent final third of the season. 

11 hours ago, Broxburn Jambo said:

I have no idea if this is blatant trolling or the worst attempt ever to elevate Neilson into company that he doesn’t belong in.

Firstly, to assist in the ranking if based on your criteria of winning ‘trophies’. The Scottish Championship is classed as a minor honour. It’s in there alongside East of Scotland Shield wins. By virtue of the fact that JJ, Ivanuaskas and Sergio all won the Scottish Cup, which is classed as a major honour, all of those managers are above Neilson in the trophy winning stakes.

I personally wouldn’t have used trophies as the yardstick. Not because - imo - the best Hearts manager of my lifetime didn’t win a major honour, but because there is simply more to it than that.  Alex MacDonald - alongside Sandy Jardine and Wallace Mercer - dragged Hearts up from the gutter. MacDonald brought through two club legends in John Robertson and Gary MacKay, as well as Davie Bowman and others. He signed two club legends in Levein and Colqhoun. He shaped them, and many considered past their sell by date, into a team that were seven minutes away from winning the league. He also took us to a Scottish cup final the same season.

MacDonald started the utter dominance over Hibs that you have enjoyed for the majority of your life. He developed a winning mentality in derbies that will never be equalled again.

MacDonald took us to the quarter final of the UEFA cup, beating Bayern Munich at Tynecastle along the way.

MacDonald took us to numerous cup semi finals and had us competing at a level Hearts should be competing at. He did that consistently, and he did it while shaping some of the best players I have seen at Tynecastle into a team to be proud of.

Alex MacDonald restored the pride back into Heart of Midlothian Football Club. He took a team that were playing in front of a few thousand diehards in the second tier and turned them into a team that fought for the jersey, won, sometimes with grit, and sometimes with great football, and competed at the top level. Hearts fans and Heart of Midlothian Football Club should be forever grateful to Alex MacDonald.

So, when Neilson has done an ounce of what MacDonald did come back and see me. In the meantime, when you mention Neilson and MacDonald please use separate breaths.

This whole comparison is a total nonsense.

Firstly we live in different times.  The financial disparity between us and the the Ugly Sisters has considerably widened since the 60s.  Secondly Walker is the most sucessful manager in Hearts' history and no later manager has come close. 

Although Walker was indeed a good manager he inherited a group of youngsters, already in the teamn such as Conn, Bauld, Wardhaugh who were later joined by Dave Mackay and John Cumming but it still took him 3 years to win his firsr major trophy.   Neilson hasn't been in the job one season and almost won the Scottish cup (obv not entirely with his own efforts).

Maybe the OP should be asking whether we will ever have that level of success again and I think I can predict the majority view.

10 hours ago, Glamorgan Jambo said:

Alex MacDonald picked up the Hearts that had been in decline for 15 years and with Sandy Jardine built a team that challenged for the league within 5 years.

Jefferies first time round got us over the line in terms of winning a trophy and built as good a Hearts team as I’ve seen in my lifetime. 

There were some great results over the Vlad years but the coaches were never in place long enough to be judged (including Jefferies Mk 2, Burley, Sergio) and our spend on players was the highest ever. 

Honourable mentions to Jordan and Levein mk1 for the results and league finishes they delivered.

Neilson first time round did very well. Winning a tough championship at a canter and re establishing us as a top 4 club. Too many odd circumstances this season. Next season he needs to establish us in the top 6. What he does after that will establish his legacy and whether he’s in the same class as MacDonald and Jefferies.

That's this thread sorted.

Voice of reason
12 minutes ago, Ethan Hunt said:

I have no idea if this is blatant trolling or the worst attempt ever to elevate Neilson into company that he doesn’t belong in.

Firstly, to assist in the ranking if based on your criteria of winning ‘trophies’. The Scottish Championship is classed as a minor honour. It’s in there alongside East of Scotland Shield wins. By virtue of the fact that JJ, Ivanuaskas and Sergio all won the Scottish Cup, which is classed as a major honour, all of those managers are above Neilson in the trophy winning stakes.

I personally wouldn’t have used trophies as the yardstick. Not because - imo - the best Hearts manager of my lifetime didn’t win a major honour, but because there is simply more to it than that.  Alex MacDonald - alongside Sandy Jardine and Wallace Mercer - dragged Hearts up from the gutter. MacDonald brought through two club legends in John Robertson and Gary MacKay, as well as Davie Bowman and others. He signed two club legends in Levein and Colqhoun. He shaped them, and many considered past their sell by date, into a team that were seven minutes away from winning the league. He also took us to a Scottish cup final the same season.

MacDonald started the utter dominance over Hibs that you have enjoyed for the majority of your life. He developed a winning mentality in derbies that will never be equalled again.

MacDonald took us to the quarter final of the UEFA cup, beating Bayern Munich at Tynecastle along the way.

MacDonald took us to numerous cup semi finals and had us competing at a level Hearts should be competing at. He did that consistently, and he did it while shaping some of the best players I have seen at Tynecastle into a team to be proud of.

Alex MacDonald restored the pride back into Heart of Midlothian Football Club. He took a team that were playing in front of a few thousand diehards in the second tier and turned them into a team that fought for the jersey, won, sometimes with grit, and sometimes with great football, and competed at the top level. Hearts fans and Heart of Midlothian Football Club should be forever grateful to Alex MacDonald.

So, when Neilson has done an ounce of what MacDonald did come back and see me. In the meantime, when you mention Neilson and MacDonald please use separate breaths.

Great post highlighting all the reasons I think Alex MacDonald is easily the best manager in my lifetime at Hearts. Although also worth highlighting some horrible results also happened under him - it wasn’t all roses. 

However, when it comes to who’s second then it’s unclear given our lack of success. Often, a one off cup win can elevate a manager’s legacy to a point fans forget that most of their signings, tactics and style of football was pretty average. Maybe Paulo Sergio is the perfect example of that at Hearts. Beating Hibs 5-1 in a Scottish Cup final will get you lots of brownie points.

If we had won the Scottish Cup in the penalty shootout against Celtic then Robbie’s legacy would always have had that plus-point there. It’s small margins on how you are remembered.

Maybe the greatest example of this is over at Hibs. The Hibs fans love Stubbs to the point they’d probably accept a statue of him being built outside Easter Road. They also shout for him to be reinstated as manager whenever the current incumbent is not doing great. However, in my opinion, he was a dreadful manager who just got lucky in the lottery of cup competitions. After leaving Hibs he lasted 14 matches at Rotherham and 9 at St Mirren, and has been subsequently unemployed as a manager for well over 2 years.

Anyway, more time needed for Robbie to prove himself one way or another. Let’s give the guy time to hopefully do an ‘Alex MacDonald’ and rebuild us from a low point.