VAR in Scotland.

The Hogfather

Rogue Daddy
9 hours ago, DesertDawg said:

There's nothing wrong with technology  systems or their intent.  Introduce incompetent officials and, just like on the park, many mistakes will be made.....some which might well be biased.  Conversely, it can also make biased decision making much more difficult for the officials.  Take Hearts second goal against Celtic in the Scottish Cup final.  It would never have been given if goal line technology had not immediately signalled a goal to John Beaton's wrist display......especially since he was already on his way back up the pitch before the alert went off.    

In the U.S. where VAR exists in other sports like NFL Football and Hockey, as well as Major League Soccer it generally works well but that may be due to a combination of greater acceptance of video rulings by the fans and a more liberal application of the rules by the officials.  Having the VAR desk in the actual stadium where the game is taking place seems to make a difference too although I'm far from convinced that would work in Scotland where, maybe Switzerland, would be a better call.  

https://www.inquirer.com/soccer/premier-league-var-mls-video-replay-howard-webb-20200106.html

For me and VAR... this is key. If we (Scottish football) is to go down this route, I would like to see the 'VAR desk' as far away from Hampdump (or any Scottish ground for that matter) as possible. There would be far less chance of bias or 'OF friendly' decisions being made by a faceless, non-local, VAR panel. It would also lessen intimidation  and vandalisation of officials homes by uglies fans, who've had to endure the audacity of a decision given against them.

...it may even take some pressure off our officials and allow them (without fear of retribution/intimidation) to make decisions against the uglies ie. "...it wiznae me, it wuz var!".

...pretty sure the SFA/SPFL would fcuk it up, however.

Edited by Rogue Daddy

• Replies 163
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• The Hogfather

• kingantti1874

• Smoked-Glass

• Geoff Kilpatrick

Ex member of the SaS

Sorry but Scottish football is so corrupt it would only benefit two teams. Can you imagine VAR giving us a result that would push both the uglies to second and third in the league? NO chance!

49 minutes ago, Rogue Daddy said:

For me and VAR... this is key. If we (Scottish football) is to go down this route, I would like to see the 'VAR desk' as far away from Hampdump (or any Scottish ground for that matter) as possible. There would be far less chance of bias or 'OF friendly' decisions being made by a faceless, non-local, VAR panel. It would also lessen intimidation  and vandalisation of officials homes by uglies fans, who've had to endure the audacity of a decision given against them.

...it may even take some pressure off our officials and allow them (without fear of retribution/intimidation) to make decisions against the uglies ie. "...it wiznae me, it wuz var!".

...pretty sure the SFA/SPFL would fcuk it up, however.

It's for the reasons you state that VAR will never work in this country, the SFA barely allow ref's from outwith the three west coast referee's associations make it to grade 1 so would never use foreign VAR refs, then because they use Scottish ref's there will be some incident early on which will give the SFA the chance to not only use scottish VAR ref's but to make them anonymous too. Ref's will then take every major decision from the VAR ref who for the likes of us will not signal VAR reviews but will review every jersey tug on a OF player.

Rogue Daddy
26 minutes ago, Ribble said:

It's for the reasons you state that VAR will never work in this country, the SFA barely allow ref's from outwith the three west coast referee's associations make it to grade 1 so would never use foreign VAR refs, then because they use Scottish ref's there will be some incident early on which will give the SFA the chance to not only use scottish VAR ref's but to make them anonymous too. Ref's will then take every major decision from the VAR ref who for the likes of us will not signal VAR reviews but will review every jersey tug on a OF player.

You're absolutely correct, of course. It's unbelievable how 'protected' the uglies are... just another indication of how utterly corrupt our game is in Scotland.

Japan Jambo

see it in action down here at the Emirates, it strips joy from the game. One thing watching it on TV but live when you have a dog in the fight - total car crash. The start stop nature of Rugby coupled with the way the ref interacts with the players allows it to work in that setting, I'm yet to be convinced this can work well in a football setting.

For those that advocate going down this route, please experience it first hand, it's an atmosphere killer.

I don't like it, seems a bit shite tbh and takes enjoyment away from the game. Hopefully its removed from leagues and never brought back.

davemclaren
4 hours ago, Japan Jambo said:

see it in action down here at the Emirates, it strips joy from the game. One thing watching it on TV but live when you have a dog in the fight - total car crash. The start stop nature of Rugby coupled with the way the ref interacts with the players allows it to work in that setting, I'm yet to be convinced this can work well in a football setting.

For those that advocate going down this route, please experience it first hand, it's an atmosphere killer.

Never been to a match with VAR but that’s exactly how I see it being like. Feels bad enough watching it on the telly. 

The White Cockade

Oh VAR of Scotland 

When will we see

Your likes again

That fought and.....

Sorry

I’ll get my coat

Smoked-Glass
16 minutes ago, gregzy2k7 said:

I don't like it, seems a bit shite tbh and takes enjoyment away from the game. Hopefully its removed from leagues and never brought back.

If only 

I’ve not read the whole thread but won’t the installation require certain physical things like camera positions? How would that work with the large number of shit asymmetrical and unfinished stadiums in Scotland? I’ve just done a quick Google and the minimum FIFA requirement is 8 cameras. And the system in England, at least, depends on access to the broadcast cameras. Which is fine as every EPL game has extensive filming at it. Also the protests from some clubs at a cost of around £10k per game would be audible from outer space.