VAR in Scotland.

The Hogfather

Geoff Kilpatrick

VAR is shite and should be resisted as much as possible, like all new ideas emerging from FIFA.

The beauty of football was a similar rule-book from pub leagues to Wembley. Now the game differentiates itself and the fan experience is shat on (notwithstanding pandemic interruptions). The truth is that football needs its controversy about decisions being made by humans, not decisions made by someone playing with cameras in a studio drawing imaginary lines.

• Replies 163
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• The Hogfather

• kingantti1874

• Smoked-Glass

• Geoff Kilpatrick

Cannot quite understand why it works in rugby where there is far more scope for foul play yet does not work for football so far...

Perhaps it is precisely because the officials are so poor that the ex-officials who are being asked to implement it are making a total hash of it?

Edited by Spellczech

kingantti1874
1 hour ago, Nunya Business said:

I really, really hope you don't actually believe that.

I really really do. The amount of ludicrous decisions they get would absolutely be reduced, there would be no way to gloss over it.  No pen leading to Mikogate, no guidetti dive, no 4 reds at ibrox.. the list of ludicrous decisions we have suffered with at the hands of the old firm is ludicrous.

The Hogfather
5 minutes ago, kingantti1874 said:

I really really do. The amount of ludicrous decisions they get would absolutely be reduced, there would be no way to gloss over it.  No pen leading to Mikogate, no guidetti dive, no 4 reds at ibrox.. the list of ludicrous decisions we have suffered with at the hands of the old firm is ludicrous.

So referees are going to start being honest because there's a 22" TV at the side of the park? Aye, ok then.

VAR is still an excellent tool

The use/interpretation of VAR has become a serious problem

It's being used for everything rather than originally being phased in over a few seasons

For example it is pretty good for incidents in or out the box...not perfect but better than an officials opinion

IF they could decide on an interpretation for offside it would work well with regards to that....at the moment it is one of the major problems

Similarly hand ball has become the other major issue causing problems

It is good at allowing officials to decide on the severity of a challenge....again not perfect but better than a one off view and it helps in terms of deciding the 'last man ' challenge or even a penalty award

I don't want to give up on it yet but many of the problems are not with VAR but the people operating and interpreting what they see.......until that is sorted I can see why frustrations arise but remember most decisions are a matter of opinion and will always lead to differences

Lone Striker
14 minutes ago, kingantti1874 said:

Well.... if VAR really did start reducing the number of dodgy penalties they get, to the point that they were no longer running away with the league,  you can bet that the SFA/SPFL would jump in and change the scope/use  of VAR to "address" the issue of why the OF are being penalised so often.          

Guest ToqueJambo

All that's happened is people argue about VAR instead of referees now. It hasn't reduced the uncertainty in decisions or made the game "fairer" as there is still a human factor.

A lot of good goals have been disallowed because a tiny bit of someone's elbow is "offside". It used to be that forwards were given the benefit of the doubt in marginal decisions (unless you're playing the OF). The ones we're seeing given could never be seen by the human eye. 

Smoked-Glass
2 hours ago, Rogue Daddy said:

If it was to be introduced up here, I’d want it ‘manned’ by non-Scottish officials. We all know it would be used to benefit the uglies otherwise. 

Well its currently manned by Stevie Wonder

Smoked-Glass
2 hours ago, sassenach said:

The problem with VAR is that it can't be used for its intended purpose, which is to eliminate OBVIOUS errors.

For example, a referee does not call a very marginal offside decision, but then it gets checked by VAR.  VAR shows offside by a toenail; this is marginal so not an obvious error, so really the referee's onside decision should stand.  However, because the camera has shown the tightest of offsides the goal is disallowed.

So rather than simply eliminating obvious errors, entire games are now being refereed by video.  Referees are even holding back on making a decision until they see what VAR says.

Ideally I would like games to be refereed in the traditional manner, and for the video referee to have a 15 second window in which to call play back.  15 seconds is ample time to spot an obvious error, if it takes any longer the error isn't obvious so the referee's original decision should be accepted.

The genie is out of the lamp now though.  The game is ruined, I'm afraid.

Good Post. 

There is however one solution that can help put the genie back in...and that is to give teams a limited amount of challenges per game.   

Teams will quickly sus its best to save these challenges for more obvious ones.    There will also be a nice moment in a game when a team has used all its challenges and we know there won't be any more var to come 😅.  

A team thats 4-0 up - or 4-0 down might not bother to use a var challenge near the end of the game as it's pointless. 

Lastly you might get teams using up their remaining challenges for a laugh at the end of a decided game. This could be a good boooooo moment 😜

2 minutes ago, Smoked-Glass said:

Good Post. 

There is however one solution that can help put the genie back in...and that is to give teams a limited amount of challenges per game.   

Teams will quickly sus its best to save these challenges for more obvious ones.    There will also be a nice moment in a game when a team has used all its challenges and we know there won't be any more var to come 😅.  

A team thats 4-0 up - or 4-0 down might not bother to use a var challenge near the end of the game as it's pointless. 

Lastly you might get teams using up their remaining challenges for a laugh at the end of a decided game. This could be a good boooooo moment 😜

I suggested that a bit earlier in the thread - make it like cricket.

It might also help stamp out the rampant abuse of referees 🙄- want to have a fit about a foul or a

free -kick ? Use VAR instead.  Problem solved. 

Horatio Caine

No problem with VAR - it will be expertly administered by the Sportsound experts who use it every week.

Smoked-Glass
2 minutes ago, Horatio Caine said:

No problem with VAR - it will be expertly administered by the Sportsound experts who use it every week.

Aye yer maw.. 

3 hours ago, Nunya Business said:

I don’t think I’d set foot in a Scottish ground again if they brought this in up here. 

On our budget it will probably involve a sketch artist and measuring tape........!

portobellojambo1
3 hours ago, davemclaren said:

I’m not a fan. 

Neither am I dave, I think as a system it raises more questions than answers, and in a roundabout way, unintentional I'd imagine, all it is really doing is suggesting that for the number of years in which it wasn't being used an awful lot of human errors amongst the officials were being made. I think as humans mistakes will always be made, that is just a fact of life, but we are getting to a stage where almost every little thing is being diagnosed to the nth degree. Way back the original idea of VAR intervention was intended to be limited to issues with goals being scored, in as much as something scanning the goal line to determine if the ball had crossed the line. If it keep going the way it is it has the potential to be similar to going to an Amercian Football game, where it ends up being a game that is more stop than start, and every little detail is looked at in depth. If I'm honest I think that up here, in Scotland, the two clubs who have benefited most from human mistakes (I use that term in a very limited capacity as many up here I suspect are not mistakes and better covered by the word bias) are the OF, and it wouldn't surprise me if those two clubs voted against its introduction, but who knows at this stage.

17 minutes ago, Section Q said:

On our budget it will probably involve a sketch artist and measuring tape........!

😄

A drone with a Go-Pro. 

davemclaren
22 minutes ago, portobellojambo1 said:

Neither am I dave, I think as a system it raises more questions than answers, and in a roundabout way, unintentional I'd imagine, all it is really doing is suggesting that for the number of years in which it wasn't being used an awful lot of human errors amongst the officials were being made. I think as humans mistakes will always be made, that is just a fact of life, but we are getting to a stage where almost every little thing is being diagnosed to the nth degree. Way back the original idea of VAR intervention was intended to be limited to issues with goals being scored, in as much as something scanning the goal line to determine if the ball had crossed the line. If it keep going the way it is it has the potential to be similar to going to an Amercian Football game, where it ends up being a game that is more stop than start, and every little detail is looked at in depth. If I'm honest I think that up here, in Scotland, the two clubs who have benefited most from human mistakes (I use that term in a very limited capacity as many up here I suspect are not mistakes and better covered by the word bias) are the OF, and it wouldn't surprise me if those two clubs voted against its introduction, but who knows at this stage.

Who wants to wait two minutes before cheering a goal? Kills the game imo, I’d rather get professional referees than spend a fortune on technology.

Totally for it...  Those *******s at that *******ing club wouldn't benefit from it that's for sure and those 2 incidents illustrated are 2 too many.

IMG_20200605_193307.jpg

IMG_20190905_202942.jpg

SomethingAboutObua

VAR Lite sounds like it would actually be better than what they currently have in England. Get more of a challenge system in place instead of reviewing every goal, review only penalties given and dont review penalties denied etc. Up for it why not

jamtartan74

Thought var sounded like a great idea, and then it happened 🙈. Nope, it’s pish, keep

it as it is, goal line technology yes, var, no 👎🏻 From me

SomethingAboutObua
2 hours ago, Spellczech said:

Cannot quite understand why it works in rugby where there is far more scope for foul play yet does not work for football so far...

Perhaps it is precisely because the officials are so poor that the ex-officials who are being asked to implement it are making a total hash of it?

I'd say it works in rugby because there are so many rules. The stop start nature of the game means you can end an attacking play for an obscure foul long before a team actually scores, and fans and players are already used to unseen to them fouls being called. I also think the respect for referees in rugby means they can explain their decisions with authority and use VAR to back themselves, in football its more like the referees are just using VAR to avoid blame for decisions going against teams. 

Hackney Hearts
5 hours ago, davemclaren said:

But what about the pen that Fulton won in 98? 😎

Too close a call to overturn the referee's decision in 98, unlike the stonewaller at Dens.

However, if we have to get one decision and not the other, I'd take the league title in 86!

davemclaren
1 minute ago, Hackney Hearts said:

Too close a call to overturn the referee's decision in 98, unlike the stonewaller at Dens.

However, if we have to get one decision and not the other, I'd take the league title in 86!

Aye, that was a penalty. 

4 hours ago, Tom Hardy’s Dug said:

The people in the VAR room would need to be from somewhere other than Scotland for it to start to have a chance of working.

100% this. Otherwise it will be 

Madden makes decision

Over to VAR to check

Collum “It’s the correct decision”

kingantti1874
6 hours ago, Nunya Business said:

So referees are going to start being honest because there's a 22" TV at the side of the park? Aye, ok then.

they won’t have any choice but to have a look for issues of that magnitude.  One thing is for certain, it won’t make referee bias towards the old firm worse.

Technology has already benefitted us once this  season, not a chance in hell we would have been awarded goal in cup final without it.  Let’s remember when we clearly had the ball over the line, it wasn’t awarded and Celtic scored at the other end.

all of these points aside, regardless of what you or I think it’s is coming. Whether it be next season, 5 seasons or in 10 seasons.. it’s happening so may as well get used to the idea or as you say start following a different sport

jamtartan74

I think this should actually get put out to all clubs season ticket holders, get us all polled and take it from there. I would bet that 75% plus would be against, and an average support not using the old firms thousands against the rest. Most people I know think it’s a farce watching it down south, no danger do I want the same shite up here. 

6 hours ago, Hackney Hearts said:

Stonewaller in 98 and in 86 

20200827_072753.jpg

kingantti1874

I enjoyed football in the 80’s. No matter how much I pine for terracing and waist high tackles it’s not coming back.. and no amount of moaning will change it.  

Sport evolves. - in 20 years it will look materially different to today.  VAR is coming, European leagues are coming. It’s just the way it is

kingantti1874
57 minutes ago, Smoked-Glass said:

We got away with thumb's free kick one.    Thankfully no var even though it should have stood. 

yeah it goes both ways. Sadly for us goes against far more than it goes for doesn’t it. 

Geoff Kilpatrick
36 minutes ago, kingantti1874 said:

I enjoyed football in the 80’s. No matter how much I pine for terracing and waist high tackles it’s not coming back.. and no amount of moaning will change it.  

Sport evolves. - in 20 years it will look materially different to today.  VAR is coming, European leagues are coming. It’s just the way it is

If so, include me out. I can barely watch English football these days, albeit the lack of crowds do nothing for it, but this anodyne, half and half scarf world of "footie" is bollocks. Dreaming up a European closed shop league, which it will be, is another step to me forgoing it altogether.

The Hogfather
3 hours ago, kingantti1874 said:

they won’t have any choice but to have a look for issues of that magnitude.  One thing is for certain, it won’t make referee bias towards the old firm worse.

Technology has already benefitted us once this  season, not a chance in hell we would have been awarded goal in cup final without it.  Let’s remember when we clearly had the ball over the line, it wasn’t awarded and Celtic scored at the other end.

all of these points aside, regardless of what you or I think it’s is coming. Whether it be next season, 5 seasons or in 10 seasons.. it’s happening so may as well get used to the idea or as you say start following a different sport

The difference between the decision in the cup final is goal line technology is absolute. The ball either crosses the line or it does not, it’s not open to interpretation. 

To genuinely think VAR in Scotland would end the dodgy decisions being given to the Old Firm is naive at best. It’s still the same people making the decisions and to think they’ll suddenly start being honest because of VAR shows you honestly haven’t paid the slightest bit of attention to English football since it’s inception. 

upgotheheads
13 hours ago, Cruyff said:

VAR is absolute shite in England, sucked the life out the game and it still gets shit loads of decisions wrong. Nae point to it at all. 

12 hours ago, 1971fozzy said:

No way do I want it up here.  It’s awful

12 hours ago, DS98 said:

Nah not for me. I like the goal line technology but that’s as far as it should go. 

It would just be another useless/biased/corrupt/incompetent ref getting paid to watch a screen up here anyway. 

13 hours ago, Nunya Business said:

I don’t think I’d set foot in a Scottish ground again if they brought this in up here. 

VAR is a mess, and spoils the continuity and excitement of games. In England you can't cheer a goal anymore because it's likely that it will be referred. I don't know what anyone else does, but when I'm on my feet cheering a goal I always look at the linesman just in case, but that only takes a fraction of a second and usually doesn't ruin the moment. However the fact that the SFA are offering this, along with the SPFL soon no doubt, you can bet this bunch of incompetents will make the wrong decision. 

Tommy Brown

The offside one is the bug bare and time waster for me.

Someone in a studio thinks that could be marginally off or on. Then eats up 2-5 minutes deciding.

Maybe a time restriction needs implemented. The studio guy has 15 secs for example to decide the original decision was wrong. No proof needs to be shown.

Analysis at the end to check if the corrections were ok or not.

Handball isn't a var problem, its a problem thats always existed. Imo Iif not deliberate or gaining on obvious advantage the ignore. 

7 hours ago, SomethingAboutObua said:

I'd say it works in rugby because there are so many rules. The stop start nature of the game means you can end an attacking play for an obscure foul long before a team actually scores, and fans and players are already used to unseen to them fouls being called. I also think the respect for referees in rugby means they can explain their decisions with authority and use VAR to back themselves, in football its more like the referees are just using VAR to avoid blame for decisions going against teams. 

It doesn't need to spot every foul though. Rugby is a game where the forwards are constantly trying to get away with foul play and it is up to the officials to spot it - they are constantly on the edge of being offside or whatever, which is why you can hear the referee telling them to stay back, play the ball etc

VAR for football could easily operate only in the last 20 or so yards of each end of the pitch and let the referee have sole charge of the rest of the middle of the pitch - offsides 25 yards out are seldom big decisions. All it really comes down to is penalties - where all it is necessary for is VAR to spot things the officials miss, none of this automatic pen for a ball striking defender nonsense (it simply doesn't need to be black & white like this with VAR looking for contacts). Likewise, adopt the rugby way of "Is there any reason I cannot give this goal?" confimation would not prevent fans celebrating a goal, it would just mean the odd one gets celebrated then chalked off which is exactly how it has always worked...

kingantti1874
1 minute ago, Nunya Business said:

The difference between the decision in the cup final is goal line technology is absolute. The ball either crosses the line or it does not, it’s not open to interpretation. 

To genuinely think VAR in Scotland would end the dodgy decisions being given to the Old Firm is naive at best. It’s still the same people making the decisions and to think they’ll suddenly start being honest because of VAR shows you honestly haven’t paid the slightest bit of attention to English football since it’s inception. 

It’s not naive, it’s logic - referees are not  cheats (in the main) they give the old firm the benefit of the doubt because it’s the easy way out. VAR offers them a way out. Of course there are instances where it’s a bit more sinister - but in the main it will go some way towards levelling the balance.

In England mistakes post VAR are higher profile, but in the main more decisions are being awarded correctly.  

VAR had helped improve the accuracy of decisions, with 94 per cent of key match decisions now correct and 97 per cent of assistant referee decisions.

So seems the actual facts suggests I have been paying attention.

do I think the implementation needs to be improved? Yes I do.. and I like the challenge system mentioned earlier.

once again all of these points aside, it’s happening eventually so either reconcile with it or prepare to follow through and move on from the game. 🤷‍♂️

Just now, kingantti1874 said:

It’s not naive, it’s logic - referees are not  cheats (in the main) they give the old firm the benefit of the doubt because it’s the easy way out. VAR offers them a way out. Of course there are instances where it’s a bit more sinister - but in the main it will go some way towards levelling the balance.

In England mistakes post VAR are higher profile, but in the main more decisions are being awarded correctly.  

VAR had helped improve the accuracy of decisions, with 94 per cent of key match decisions now correct and 97 per cent of assistant referee decisions.

do I think the implementation needs to be improved? Yes I do.. and I like the challenge system mentioned earlier.

once again all of these points aside, it’s happening eventually so either reconcile with it or prepare to follow through and move on from the game. 🤷‍♂️

The problem is they get very used to giving the OF the decisions to the extent that the OF only care about their perception of whether the other cheek is getting more than them, and sod the rest of us. When the media say it evens itself out over the course of the season all they mean is that it does this for the OF...If Rangers get a dodgy penalty one week then Celtic will expect one the next...

kingantti1874
3 minutes ago, Spellczech said:

The problem is they get very used to giving the OF the decisions to the extent that the OF only care about their perception of whether the other cheek is getting more than them, and sod the rest of us. When the media say it evens itself out over the course of the season all they mean is that it does this for the OF...If Rangers get a dodgy penalty one week then Celtic will expect one the next...

the points made around VAR impacting the flow of the game are accurate .. the implementation coukd and will definitely be improved given time.. but there is less scope to award dodgy decisions.  

24 minutes ago, kingantti1874 said:

the points made around VAR impacting the flow of the game are accurate .. the implementation coukd and will definitely be improved given time.. but there is less scope to award dodgy decisions.  

And this is why we need it. The playing field is level already vis a vis the OF  but in a rigged way, as they make sure they kick up stink if the other one gets a dodgy decision or they are subjected to one. It gains them a credit for a soft decision in a future game, inevitably against another totally innocent team...

Whilst we are utter garbage it probably doesn't matter but if for any team to ever even have the possibility to run the OF close you cannot have a dual level system of rule application...

Seymour M Hersh

VAR lite eh? That would be ****** Bonnar or Billy Dodds filming the game with their phone making sure the decisions go the "right" way. 

Seymour M Hersh
10 hours ago, portobellojambo1 said:

The system works well enough for what it is and is in no way responsible for the controversy caused. They need to make the cameras they take the info from match the speed of the goal line technology (apparently the VAR ones are significantly slower) but apart from that all the controversy is still caused by referees.  Seems to work pretty well in Australia but in England under Riley's rules it's been pretty much a disaster. 

The Hogfather
36 minutes ago, kingantti1874 said:

They're hardly going to come out and say it's been a failure, are they? VAR decided this was a red card. 

VAR also decided this was a penalty. They won't do the same with the Old Firm though, of course. That would be silly.

Then there's the farce of the disallowed Brighton goal last week. And you've also got the semi-regular change to the handball rule. And the mid-season change to how offsides are given. Football isn't an exact science and people clamouring for it to be brought in up here clearly haven't paid attention to how football in Scotland works.

Seymour M Hersh
2 hours ago, Smoked-Glass said:

We got away with thumb's free kick one.    Thankfully no var even though it should have stood. 

That would have been goal line technology as opposed to VAR (although even VAR would have spotted it was never a goal due to the taker being a welt). 

Geoff Kilpatrick

BTW, on the goal given to us in the Cup Final by technology. It remains a mystery to me what the extra two numpties on the bye lines were actually for. 

12 hours ago, Dusk_Till_Dawn said:

No country needs VAR more than Scotland. Because you’re not just talking about poor referees in Scotland. You’re also talking about biased referees who deliberately avoid obvious decisions especially when the Old Firm are involved.

100% This. And for those saying they won't be back if it comes in up here.....well start looking for something else to do on a Saturday because it will be introduced sooner rather than later👍

VAR lite.  :rofl:  How extremely Scottish Football.  

VAR is an aberration.  There are too many grey areas and centimetre sensitive,  borderline instances for it to achieve it's purpose.

1 hour ago, Tommy Brown said:

The offside one is the bug bare and time waster for me.

Someone in a studio thinks that could be marginally off or on. Then eats up 2-5 minutes deciding.

Maybe a time restriction needs implemented. The studio guy has 15 secs for example to decide the original decision was wrong. No proof needs to be shown.

Analysis at the end to check if the corrections were ok or not.

Handball isn't a var problem, its a problem thats always existed. Imo Iif not deliberate or gaining on obvious advantage the ignore. 

i would say for offsides there should be an uncertainty of sorts in drawing lines. i.e. if the lines for the attacker and the last man is going to be smaller than x value (say 5cm) then the onfield decision should be final. it should help with the nonsense of is the players big toe just in front/behind the opponents giant nose

Geoff Kilpatrick
Just now, GYL said:

100% This. And for those saying they won't be back if it comes in up here.....well start looking for something else to do on a Saturday because it will be introduced sooner rather than later👍

Yep, Willie Collum watching a TV solves the problem. :rolleyes:

kingantti1874
14 minutes ago, Nunya Business said:

They're hardly going to come out and say it's been a failure, are they? VAR decided this was a red card. 

VAR also decided this was a penalty. They won't do the same with the Old Firm though, of course. That would be silly.

Then there's the farce of the disallowed Brighton goal last week. And you've also got the semi-regular change to the handball rule. And the mid-season change to how offsides are given. Football isn't an exact science and people clamouring for it to be brought in up here clearly haven't paid attention to how football in Scotland works.

yep as I said it’s not 100%, there are still mistakes (although far less of them) and mistakes post VAR have far higher visibility.  I for one welcome the prospect of throwing light on refereeing “mistakes”.

you keep saying people aren’t paying attention.  You've paid enough attention to realise we get screwed frequently yes? 

yet your solution is that we should do nothing.  The definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results!

one thing is for sure, VAR hasn’t resulted in more bad decisions. I don’t think I’ve ever heard anyone claim that. 

I do however accept that the process and implementation can be improved

4 minutes ago, Geoff Kilpatrick said:

Yep, Willie Collum watching a TV solves the problem. :rolleyes:

Hopefully they don't use current referees or even better Scottish referees full stop😉