• Replies 163
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• The Hogfather

• kingantti1874

• Smoked-Glass

• Geoff Kilpatrick

VAR itself isn't the problem. VAR, if used right, could be pretty good for the game. Sadly, it's the way it's utilised in some competitions which kills the game, and I doubt anyone up here would use it in the right way.

It should be there to help the referee in times of uncertainty, not just basically doing the referees job. It's making refs far too lazy and paranoid to make a mistake. I would like to see VAR used similar to video referees in other sports. Only in very extreme circumstances, and teams with the right to challenge a referees call. Restricted to a certain amount in a game or half of course.

VAR Lite 🤣

"Sorry we can't review this potential handball at Ibrox for opposition side because the crowd's heads are in the way"

VAR is absolute shite in England, sucked the life out the game and it still gets shit loads of decisions wrong. Nae point to it at all. 

Central Belt 1874

I'm 100% against it as it is used currently. I've completely stopped watching English football, both live and on Match of the day. In my opinion it's not improved the game in the slightest.

What's possibly more worrying, for football generally, is that my children think that its awful and ruins the games. They have little to no interest in watching games on tv. If this is the general consensus with younger viewers, then football authorities will have a tough decision to make in the coming years. 

GlasgoJambo

Progress for the sake of progress. It’s a rather good metaphor for a much more philosophical question about society on the whole and how we deal with new technologies. Scientific advancement is intertwined with technology so how can we not embrace it? Civilisation is very much going down a one way street but perhaps the fulfilment of life is not found in the scrutiny of everything down to a hairbreadth analysis 🤔

Also, we’ll still get shafted by the uglies.

The Hogfather
18 minutes ago, Locky said:

VAR itself isn't the problem. VAR, if used right, could be pretty good for the game. Sadly, it's the way it's utilised in some competitions which kills the game, and I doubt anyone up here would use it in the right way.

It should be there to help the referee in times of uncertainty, not just basically doing the referees job. It's making refs far too lazy and paranoid to make a mistake. I would like to see VAR used similar to video referees in other sports. Only in very extreme circumstances, and teams with the right to challenge a referees call. Restricted to a certain amount in a game or half of course.

Look at how it’s killed the game in the Premier League and think about how it’ll work with referees like John Beaton, Bobby Madden and Willie Collum in control. 

adambraejambo

Only at Hampden for semi finals and finals. 3 or 4 year trial then decide if it worth going further. No need to rush into anything esp some lite version. Could we come across anymore tinpot if we tried. 

Nah not for me. I like the goal line technology but that’s as far as it should go. 

It would just be another useless/biased/corrupt/incompetent ref getting paid to watch a screen up here anyway. 

Rogue Daddy

If it was to be introduced up here, I’d want it ‘manned’ by non-Scottish officials. We all know it would be used to benefit the uglies otherwise. 

kingantti1874
34 minutes ago, Nunya Business said:

I don’t think I’d set foot in a Scottish ground again if they brought this in up here. 

It’s inevitable at some point so your gonna need to reconcile with the idea at some point. 

feom my perspective, will go a little way stop the ridiculous decisions the old firm get so I’m all for it

davemclaren
1 minute ago, cookieboy said:

It would have given a penalty that day in May 86 when Hendry chopped Sandy down 😔

But what about the pen that Fulton won in 98? 😎

Rogue Daddy
2 minutes ago, One five said:

Nor me it’s ruined my bets more than not 😂

Aye... how fecking annoying is that!... although there does seem to be more penalties - which is handy if you like the ‘overs’ markets. 

The rule tweakers in the game contradict themselves all the time. What happened to benefit of the doubt given to the attacking team?

The latest was Werner’s goal chalked off for a swinging arm while 3/4 of his body was onside🤷🏼‍♂️    Let referees get on with it , and if you want to keep VAR, let them reference it on their own accord.  Don’t force them to look at something. 

Let it be used if a ref misses something but his assistant flagged and they just need to double check using VAR. 

Just now, Rogue Daddy said:

Aye... how fecking annoying is that!... although there does seem to be more penalties - which is handy if you like the ‘overs’ markets. 

True but I’ve had lots of times both teams to score and when the ref give a penalty and VAR says NO !!!!! So many times this season 😡

brunoatemyhamster

VAR works very well all over the world. 

The rules don't though. 

Give teams 3 challenges or something where they can question the referees decisions. 

Should be way easier to use than it is just now. 

I'd take any version up here in a minute. 

Edited by brunoatemyhamster

Totally against VAR but thanks to Sky's relentless complaints about match officials here it is. 

From whining about "did the ball cross the line" we've gone to full replays of goals where they're looking for any reason not to award a goal. 

Not only that, "clear & obvious mistake"  isn't applied across the board - so what's the point ? 

Players are being wrongly cautioned but it doesn't go to VAR. 

We now have the crazy situation where the handball law will be changed AGAIN in July - because match officials aren't applying the law "properly" - and that's with the benefit of VAR. 

And Scotland's going to have a cheapskate version.

Brilliant. 

You just need someone watching a video to correct obvious errors. 

Say giving Rangers a penalty on Wednesday when Morelos was fouled by keeper but ref missed it. 

Not drawing lines for close offsides. 

Rogue Daddy
2 minutes ago, One five said:

True but I’ve had lots of times both teams to score and when the ref give a penalty and VAR says NO !!!!! So many times this season 😡

There’s no doubt it’s sucked the life out of games... and if you like a bet, the amount of disallowed goals is unbelievable! What ever happened to coupons ffs 😂😂😂

1 minute ago, NANOJAMBO said:

Totally against VAR but thanks to Sky's relentless complaints about match officials here it is. 

From whining about "did the ball cross the line" we've gone to full replays of goals where they're looking for any reason not to award a goal. 

Not only that, "clear & obvious mistake"  isn't applied across the board - so what's the point ? 

We now have the crazy situation where the handball law will be changed AGAIN in July - because match officials aren't applying the law "properly" - and that's with the benefit of VAR. 

Brilliant. 

I did like the decision on Kingsley's goal in the Cup final. 

11 minutes ago, davemclaren said:

But what about the pen that Fulton won in 98? 😎

As Mottram used to say to me "Read the pink the morn son ..it was a pen"

Don't think any version of VAR would change a thing.

Scotland's bent refs will still ultimately decide what they've seen on a monitor and it won't be any different to what they see with the naked eye.

Why pay to be cheated when you can get it for free.

1 minute ago, Rogue Daddy said:

There’s no doubt it’s sucked the life out of games... and if you like a bet, the amount of disallowed goals is unbelievable! What ever happened to coupons ffs 😂😂😂

😂

colinmaroon

The officials up here are hopeless and some are corrupt by the literal definition of that word.

It doesn't matter about the technology - monkeys, typewriters and War and Peace syndrome - won't happen.

Imagine Beaton reffing the game with Madden on VAR!!!

The Hogfather
21 minutes ago, kingantti1874 said:

It’s inevitable at some point so your gonna need to reconcile with the idea at some point. 

feom my perspective, will go a little way stop the ridiculous decisions the old firm get so I’m all for it

I really, really hope you don't actually believe that.

11 minutes ago, 160598 said:

As Mottram used to say to me "Read the pink the morn son ..it was a pen"

Not a clear and obvious error. 

32 minutes ago, Nunya Business said:

Look at how it’s killed the game in the Premier League and think about how it’ll work with referees like John Beaton, Bobby Madden and Willie Collum in control. 

Tbh though, I think the problems in the Premier League are more about the Premier League than VAR. There's none of that in the Bundesliga. Not saying it's perfect, but I've never seen a 'down to the millimetre' offside call like down south.

Also seen a clip from the A-League the other day too which showed how VAR should be used. Helps too that Aussie refs are fully mic'ed up for viewers to hear.

18 minutes ago, Mikey1874 said:

I did like the decision on Kingsley's goal in the Cup final. 

I was so drunk I don't remember it. 😄😆

The Hogfather
2 minutes ago, Locky said:

Tbh though, I think the problems in the Premier League are more about the Premier League than VAR. There's none of that in the Bundesliga. Not saying it's perfect, but I've never seen a 'down to the millimetre' offside call like down south.

Also seen a clip from the A-League the other day too which showed how VAR should be used. Helps too that Aussie refs are fully mic'ed up for viewers to hear.

Without sounding like a dick, good for Germany. They probably have competent referees, something Scotland does not have. The idea of having to wait two or three minutes to see if Hearts have scored a legitimate goal puts me right off. What's the point of football when the 'in-the-moment' passion of the game is completely eradicated? I'll just find somewhere else to spend my time/money because that's not football.

13 minutes ago, Locky said:

This is the worst part. It's not a clear & obvious mistake because it can't be measured by the human eye in real time. But we're now hearing "it's the law, offside is offside".

For comparison : back in the day at an Olympic swimming final there was a dead heat so the timings were taken down to 1/1000 of a second to find the winner. There was such an outcry that it was decided in future events it would be decided on 1/100 of a second and if it meant a tie, so be it . My point being : technology can prove winners & losers to the tiniest of margins but do  we really need/want that in football ? Goals ruled offside by using laser beam thin lines to rule on offside ? 

Edited by NANOJAMBO

WoolfordsHearts

I'd be up for VAR up here like.

Not against the tims or newco though.

Just against teams the smaller teams...

If they changed Offside to only be about the players feet, it would be much better.  No one really gets an advantage by their sleeve or hair being in an offside position, so let's just make it where the feet are. 

That simple change would make VAR much more palatable.  Also, bring in a time rule where something more than 30 seconds ago that is missed by VAR can no longer be brought up. 

Just now, tian447 said:

If they changed Offside to only be about the players feet, it would be much better.  No one really gets an advantage by their sleeve or hair being in an offside position, so let's just make it where the feet are. 

That simple change would make VAR much more palatable.  Also, bring in a time rule where something more than 30 seconds ago that is missed by VAR can no longer be brought up. 

Make it like cricket - give the teams a fixed number of challenges.

Fix the offside to "feet" - I like that idea - but not then using the "super thin line" when the usual measure is inconclusive. 

The Hogfather

I'm absolutely certain Scottish VAR would be totally different from anywhere else. They'll make all the required changes to suit our leagues because we're a big player in world football.

13 minutes ago, tian447 said:

Ah Tian, your first bit is spot on 👍and the you go and spoil it to cater for the SFA school of reffing ,imagine var ref slinging a deefy to all and sundry for 29 secs while sipping tea... “ a bad challenge by one of the uglies you say, aw sorry, missed it”

👎🏻

Dusk_Till_Dawn

No country needs VAR more than Scotland. Because you’re not just talking about poor referees in Scotland. You’re also talking about biased referees who deliberately avoid obvious decisions especially when the Old Firm are involved.

Lone Striker
46 minutes ago, NANOJAMBO said:

Brilliant. 

I  agree with you on that - the use of VAR has become totally ridiculous.  The EPL seem to be getting away with it this season because there's no fans in the stadium to shout abuse at the officials for chalking off a goal because the guy's hand  was a millimetre offside.

EPL linesmen have always seemed to be  more accurate in their decisions than the numpties we've got up here - so there's actually less need for VAR to check offsides in England than there would be up here.

It's noticeable how neither manager seems to  complain when a goal gets chalked off or a penalty decision reversed - it's almost as if  the main purpose  for using VAR for these things now is  to stop  managers criticising ref decisions.

34 minutes ago, Nunya Business said:

Without sounding like a dick, good for Germany. They probably have competent referees, something Scotland does not have. The idea of having to wait two or three minutes to see if Hearts have scored a legitimate goal puts me right off. What's the point of football when the 'in-the-moment' passion of the game is completely eradicated? I'll just find somewhere else to spend my time/money because that's not football.

Thats how I feel too.  Imagine cheering a late Hearts winner against the vermin, then having to wait while VAR checks it only to have it chalked off for Boyce  having had a toe offside.    

I've always loved  MotD because of the passion and quality of the players in the EPL. Now, it's almost a joke and I seldom watch it.      It's a real possibility that I'd start to feel the same way about the game in Scotland.

1 hour ago, sassenach said:

The problem with VAR is that it can't be used for its intended purpose, which is to eliminate OBVIOUS errors.

For example, a referee does not call a very marginal offside decision, but then it gets checked by VAR.  VAR shows offside by a toenail; this is marginal so not an obvious error, so really the referee's onside decision should stand.  However, because the camera has shown the tightest of offsides the goal is disallowed.

So rather than simply eliminating obvious errors, entire games are now being refereed by video.  Referees are even holding back on making a decision until they see what VAR says.

Ideally I would like games to be refereed in the traditional manner, and for the video referee to have a 15 second window in which to call play back.  15 seconds is ample time to spot an obvious error, if it takes any longer the error isn't obvious so the referee's original decision should be accepted.

The genie is out of the lamp now though.  The game is ruined, I'm afraid.

Aye, should be like umpires call in cricket, the officials make the decision and unless something really obvious is missed the on field decision stands

Edited by Hesh

Tom Hardy’s Dug

The people in the VAR room would need to be from somewhere other than Scotland for it to start to have a chance of working.

4 minutes ago, Hesh said:

Aye, should be like umpires call in cricket, the officials make the decision and unless something really obvious is missed the on field decision stands

Have to say I have an issue with 3rd umpire when Hawkeye shows the ball clipping the bails and returns umpires decision, if decision is not out.

Agree that var on miniscule offsides is gash.

For example, if a player's feet were in the penalty box, but arms outside, and he was cleaned out, it would be a penalty.

If his feet are onside, but his elbow isn't, he's offside. No consistency.

A_A wehatethehibs

I support it for everything other than offside. Get rid of it for offside. Other than that, can’t see any argument against getting it in Scotland. Help more correct decisions to be reached. 

But I've seen enough dubious penalties given against us, usually in favour of the of, to think var in these situations would be fair.

1 hour ago, Nunya Business said:

I do agree regarding Scotland. It's a shame that we have to look at VAR in such a way not because of the system itself, but the people who will police it.