Find the location, Edinburgh(Reddit)

HMFC4ME

Was intrigued by this post on Reddit where someone has a picture of their dad somewhere in Edinburgh and it reminded me of the top El Barrio sleuthing of JKB past.
Anyone think they know where the location is? Harrison Park seems to be the favourite so far but I'm not convinced myself.

Reddit post

kjpyvuhimzk61.jpg

Can't be Harrison Park surely, the green space in the photo isn't large enough, and houses don't match what's there which are the big tenement style buildings, which would definitely pre-date the photo.

My initial thought was Abercorn Park in Portobello, but the houses in the background aren't quite right for that either.

Could it be over at Roseburn Park in the shadow of Murrayfield, looking east/southeast towards the tenements as they might've appeared then? Has the character of the split grass areas with trees between them, and the low wall that runs along there even now.

Edit: Google street view doesn't have any shots from the perspective of the cameraperson/man on the bench, but if we were in the background of the photo, could this be us looking out towards them from the street?

1.thumb.jpg.73f8e05ec5ecb1f2f16ab07f775729f1.jpg

Edited by Justin Z

Auld Reekin'

Looks like Ray Davies "lazing on a sunny afternoon...". Dunno where though.

I agree with tian447 that whilst it looks a little bit like Harrison Park the types of housing in the distance probably rules there out.

If it were Harrison Park (where the wee fenced park is by the west gardens), I think the direction of the slope means the canal should be on the right. It isn't, so it can't be there.

3 hours ago, Justin Z said:

Could it be over at Roseburn Park in the shadow of Murrayfield, looking east/southeast towards the tenements as they might've appeared then? Has the character of the split grass areas with trees between them, and the low wall that runs along there even now.

Edit: Google street view doesn't have any shots from the perspective of the cameraperson/man on the bench, but if we were in the background of the photo, could this be us looking out towards them from the street?

1.thumb.jpg.73f8e05ec5ecb1f2f16ab07f775729f1.jpg

I would suggest its a golf course  the person behind the wall could be using a golf club and behind the tree looks like a golf green with the flag and hole hidden by the tree. If you look through the line of trees on the left it looks  like the grass behind those is also golf course fairway cut, and the brief glimpse behind the straight ahead trees also gives to me some golf course suggestions.

4 minutes ago, Sharpie said:

I would suggest its a golf course  the person behind the wall could be using a golf club and behind the tree looks like a golf green with the flag and hole hidden by the tree. If you look through the line of trees on the left it looks  like the grass behind those is also golf course fairway cut, and the brief glimpse behind the straight ahead trees also gives to me some golf course suggestions.

Oh in the photo from Google street view? The short grass that looks like a green is a cricket pitch. I'm not sure what that person behind the wall is doing or with what to be fair :lol:

17 minutes ago, Justin Z said:

Oh in the photo from Google street view? The short grass that looks like a green is a cricket pitch. I'm not sure what that person behind the wall is doing or with what to be fair :lol:

Yes I can see that now, and the girl at the wall is using a spray I guess it was the similarity of spraying doing her job and my spraying of golf shots struck me as familiar.  I am going to vote for Harrison Park, I would like to be correct about something.😇

The Real Maroonblood
5 hours ago, Auld Reekin' said:

Looks like Ray Davies "lazing on a sunny afternoon...". Dunno where though.

I agree with tian447 that whilst it looks a little bit like Harrison Park the types of housing in the distance probably rules there out.

Great song and group.

Auld Reekin'
9 minutes ago, The Real Maroonblood said:

Great song and group.

You betcha!   :icon14:   That's Ray having a wee rest after yet another gruelling bout of fisticuffs with Dave (sparked-out on the grass, out of shot) over an allegedly mistimed chord-change on 'Acute Schizophrenia Paranoia Blues'. 

Edited by Auld Reekin'

1 hour ago, Victorian said:

St.Margaret's Park at Ladywell?

Can't remember there being large cast iron pole/post so don' think so.

I have walked round Harrison Park daily with dogs for the last 25 years and I was stumped too.

It is Harrison Park.

He is sitting on a bench in the west park with Harrison road in the background with the lamp post and the canal to his left.

In the background from left to right is the back of Watson Crescent then Polwarth Grove.

Also in the background is the end of Temple Park Crescent tenements.

Edited by Janbo1874
Added detail.

Can't see how that could be Harrison Park, as it's flanked by tenements on three sides,and there's clearly bungalows or a terrace on the left. 

I wondered about Leith Links, the part between the end of Lochend and Restalrig Roads. 

According to the very helpful people on Lost Edinburgh:

"It's at the Bowling Green at the start of the Park from Watson Crescent where the North Merchiston Club was, I was brought up in Yeaman Place. There was a play park behind and the Co-Op Milk Depository where they had the horses and carts. Access to the canal was on the RHS as Ken stated. Across a football pitch. Houses in the back are Ardmillan."

"Yes, it's Harrison park but the canal is on the RHS not the left, if you enlarge the picture you can just make out the bridge that leads up to the Polworth church"

Byyy The Light

Another vote for Harrison Park. He’s sitting where the kids play park is now and behind him is part with the flag pole that’s dog free. Canal is up to the right (his left). Houses in the distance are Polwarth

magic roundabout
2 hours ago, Janbo1874 said:

I have walked round Harrison Park daily with dogs for the last 25 years and I was stumped too.

It is Harrison Park.

He is sitting on a bench in the west park with Harrison road in the background with the lamp post and the canal to his left.

In the background from left to right is the back of Watson Crescent then Polwarth Grove.

Also in the background is the end of Temple Park Crescent tenements.

1 hour ago, Janbo1874 said:

Best I can do from Google Maps.

Screenshot_20210305-215802_Maps.jpg

Screenshot_20210305-220057_Maps.jpg

Well done that's the exact location.

On 05/03/2021 at 22:15, Janbo1874 said:

Best I can do from Google Maps.

Screenshot_20210305-215802_Maps.jpg

Screenshot_20210305-220057_Maps.jpg

I think you might be right here. One thing I can't picture though is the row of cottages on the left of the original picture, I guess they are long gone and the newer build properties are there now

On 05/03/2021 at 17:40, Justin Z said:

Looks like someone walking their dog to me. The red thing for launching the ball?

2 hours ago, HMFC4ME said:

I think you might be right here. One thing I can't picture though is the row of cottages on the left of the original picture, I guess they are long gone and the newer build properties are there now

The canal splits the view...you don't see it but the houses are on the other side of the canal

Having lived there for 40 years and went through the changes never mind playing football, tennis etc at the park it's pretty clear

1 hour ago, Jamie Walker Tash said:

Looks like someone walking their dog to me. The red thing for launching the ball?

dog.jpg