Albert Johanneson.

alwaysthereinspirit

alwaysthereinspirit

I was a huge Leeds United fan as a youngster in the late 60’s early 70’s. Could name the team backwards and forwards as a 7 through 10 years old. This morning reading about Ian St John I came on the name Albert Johannsen who played for Leeds in the 1965 FA Cup Final. Cant believe I’d never heard of him before. Quite the life story. Worth looking up. 

willie wallace

I remember him. Think he may have have been a left winger or inside left((,younger members can google that ,)

He was a good player

niblick1874
45 minutes ago, Jamdub said:

Thanks mate, I was the same, will take a look.

Same here. Thanks alwaysthereinspirit

It was a sad reflection of the times that, although Johansson had flourished in second tier football, when Leeds reached the top division and the Cup Final his form deserted him. The Leeds captain of the time, the late Billy Bremner, when interviewed after Johansson’s death, tellingly said “Albert had no confidence. He could play, but it was as if Albert couldn’t believe it was happening to him, as if he thought a black man wasn’t entitled to be famous.”

Albert Johansson left Leeds in 1970 and retired completely from football in 1972. The pressures of being in the spotlight drove him to alcoholism and he eventually died alone in his council flat in Leeds in 1995, having shunned offers of help. Most of his team mates from the line up above played at International level, but racist times eroded his self belief so he never fulfilled his potential.

40 minutes ago, niblick1874 said:

Same here. Thanks alwaysthereinspirit

It was a sad reflection of the times that, although Johansson had flourished in second tier football, when Leeds reached the top division and the Cup Final his form deserted him. The Leeds captain of the time, the late Billy Bremner, when interviewed after Johansson’s death, tellingly said “Albert had no confidence. He could play, but it was as if Albert couldn’t believe it was happening to him, as if he thought a black man wasn’t entitled to be famous.”

Albert Johansson left Leeds in 1970 and retired completely from football in 1972. The pressures of being in the spotlight drove him to alcoholism and he eventually died alone in his council flat in Leeds in 1995, having shunned offers of help. Most of his team mates from the line up above played at International level, but racist times eroded his self belief so he never fulfilled his potential.

Very sad and yet in 2021 players today are having to take the knee.

11 minutes ago, Jamdub said:

Very sad and yet in 2021 players today are having to take the knee.

What is odd is that black players at the time weren’t unusual in rugby league and in the 60’s Leeds had a black manager who took them to great success. 

Dusk_Till_Dawn

Bless him, he was destitute by the time he died and had been dead in his flat for a week. Went to a funeral in Leeds a few years ago and he was buried in the same graveyard. You’d hardly look twice at the gravestone which is really sad

Desperately sad story this. Had never heard of him myself either. Left to rot away as an alcohol in a council flat. Can only imagine how must hurt the man experienced. And he couldn't even go back to his home country to get away from it all, as things were even worse over there.

I looked at his Wikipedia and saw a mention of David Oluwale, a Nigerian immigrant who was basically bullied to death by Leeds police officers for being black, in 1969.

It's little wonder there's so much going on at the moment trying to shine a light on black history. These are 2 very different people, but equally tragic tales of lives in living memory, to which very little of us seem to actually know.

132goals1958
3 hours ago, alwaysthereinspirit said:

I was a huge Leeds United fan as a youngster in the late 60’s early 70’s. Could name the team backwards and forwards as a 7 through 10 years old. This morning reading about Ian St John I came on the name Albert Johannsen who played for Leeds in the 1965 FA Cup Final. Cant believe I’d never heard of him before. Quite the life story. Worth looking up. 

His nephew Carl Johannsen was a top class pro boxer who conclusively beat both Ricky Burns and Michael Gomez Remember his uncle as a skilful and cult like figure 

alwaysthereinspirit
1 hour ago, Locky said:

Desperately sad story this. Had never heard of him myself either. Left to rot away as an alcohol in a council flat. Can only imagine how must hurt the man experienced. And he couldn't even go back to his home country to get away from it all, as things were even worse over there.

I looked at his Wikipedia and saw a mention of David Oluwale, a Nigerian immigrant who was basically bullied to death by Leeds police officers for being black, in 1969.

It's little wonder there's so much going on at the moment trying to shine a light on black history. These are 2 very different people, but equally tragic tales of lives in living memory, to which very little of us seem to actually know.

The South Africa connection is what made me look him up originally.  I noticed the flag on the team sheet and wondered who he was and then realized he was black. Moving to the United Kingdom in the early 60s from South Africa couldn’t have been the norm. Or unfortunately easy. Sad story. The first black player I remember was Clyde (Clive) Best at West Ham. As a kid I remember him being huge. Uche type size. I bet if I looked him up now he was probably not as big as I remember. Good player I think. My long time memory is probably wrong on that too.

The world has come a long way with regards to racism but not even close to where it should be. FFS 🤦🏻‍♂️ It’s 2021. 

There's a little known tune called Leeds United Calypso which was released in the 60s.  I've got a version of it in the house somewhere on a compilation record by Cherry Red records.  Anyway, Albert Johannesen gets mentioned in it with a little bit of casual racism that was way too common at the time.  There's bound to be a version of it online somewhere.

I've read a number of articles about him over the years and his is a moving and sad story all too common in society at that time.

5 hours ago, oi oi said:

There's a little known tune called Leeds United Calypso which was released in the 60s.  I've got a version of it in the house somewhere on a compilation record by Cherry Red records.  Anyway, Albert Johannesen gets mentioned in it with a little bit of casual racism that was way too common at the time.  There's bound to be a version of it online somewhere.

I've read a number of articles about him over the years and his is a moving and sad story all too common in society at that time.

Haven't heard that one but I've heard the Football Calypso. Boy just singing names of football teams for 4 minutes :lol:. Decent wee tune. 

6 hours ago, oi oi said:

Watched a TV programme about him years ago

Seem to remember Yorkshire cricket club didn't have any black players long after the 60s

Dusk_Till_Dawn
9 hours ago, 132goals1958 said:

His nephew Carl Johannsen was a top class pro boxer who conclusively beat both Ricky Burns and Michael Gomez Remember his uncle as a skilful and cult like figure 

I was at the Burns fight (lived in Sheffield and my mate was a big boxing fan). It was very tight for about seven rounds but when Johanneson started landing, he absolutely destroyed him. 

132goals1958
43 minutes ago, Dusk_Till_Dawn said:

I was at the Burns fight (lived in Sheffield and my mate was a big boxing fan). It was very tight for about seven rounds but when Johanneson started landing, he absolutely destroyed him. 

yeah remember watching it on Sky. If I recall it could have been stopped but went to the cards for an easy unanimous decision 

Dusk_Till_Dawn
7 minutes ago, 132goals1958 said:

yeah remember watching it on Sky. If I recall it could have been stopped but went to the cards for an easy unanimous decision 

Burns was winning on points at halfway. I forget the story now but Johanneson was having problems with his management or something and took a long time to get going. He could really punch though

132goals1958
2 hours ago, Dusk_Till_Dawn said:

Burns was winning on points at halfway. I forget the story now but Johanneson was having problems with his management or something and took a long time to get going. He could really punch though

Date: 

Friday, February 9, 2007

Town Hall, Leeds, Yorkshire, England, UK

Rounds Scheduled: 

Contracted Weight: 

Titles at Stake: 

BBBofC Junior Lightweight British Title

Referee: 

Howard John Foster

Official Judging
Victor Loughlin 118 - 109
Phil Edwards 117 - 110