UKPC Parking Charge

JamboCampbell

JamboCampbell

Hey - hoping someone can help me with this!

I got a Parking Charge from UKPC at the weekend whilst at Hermiston Gate. 

Question:

I am aware that previously you could just bin these, ignore all letters and after a while they go away as effectively they have no way of proving who the driver was and in Scotland they are not legally allowed to go to the DVLA and force it upon the registered driver. I am aware there is something called POFA in England and Wales whereby the private firm can request the keepers details from the DVLA. 

I also am aware there was a bill passed in 2020 to get something similar in Scotland but not sure if this is actually law yet?

Effectively I am looking for advice/experience of similar and what I should do. 

I am leaning towards ignoring. 

Cheers in advance

JC

RamboJambo1996

yeah there was a recent Supreme Court decision that cleared up what defines a penalty charge on private property.

But regardless they can force your hand now and pursue it due to the case of Vehicle Control Services Limited v. Mackie [2017] SC DUN 24. But 9 times out of 10 if this is just a one off you’ll be fine it would cost them more in legal fees than the fine itself. Usually the letters are not sent recorded delivery so they have no way of knowing whether or not they have been received. Essentially they are just looking for people to bite when they can and go after the consistent big time offenders in court. 

Dave McCreery's knee

I am on about my twelfth letter for leaving my car at Moto Kinross whilst went away walking up north with my pal for the day. Have ignored every one. Stay strong and dont give the buggers a penny. 
A guy I work with just paid £100 for similar situation as he “didn't want to risk it” and they know some will take the same view if they are threatening enough. The reality is they’ll only take action against habitual offenders who have run up significant “debt” by parking on a regular basis. 

Bin they have no way what so ever of knowing who owns the car or who the registered keeper is 

Play them at their own game.  Send them a letter in the post on headed paper which says:

Dear UKPC

By opening this letter, you agree to the terms and conditions within, whereby the parking charges for [car registration] received on [insert date] are null and void.

All future correspondence will be treated as harassment and be forwarded to the relevant authorities.  

Regards,

GIRFUY Legal Ltd.

It will be as legally binding as the shite they send you in the first place :thumbsup: 

On 04/03/2021 at 13:14, JamboCampbell said:

Hey - hoping someone can help me with this!

I got a Parking Charge from UKPC at the weekend whilst at Hermiston Gate. 

Question:

I am aware that previously you could just bin these, ignore all letters and after a while they go away as effectively they have no way of proving who the driver was and in Scotland they are not legally allowed to go to the DVLA and force it upon the registered driver. I am aware there is something called POFA in England and Wales whereby the private firm can request the keepers details from the DVLA. 

I also am aware there was a bill passed in 2020 to get something similar in Scotland but not sure if this is actually law yet?

Effectively I am looking for advice/experience of similar and what I should do. 

I am leaning towards ignoring. 

Cheers in advance

JC

I parked there 4 years ago for two weeks 10 times I parked there and got 3 letters I binned 4 years later I got 3 letters from Dcbl who have bought there outstanding fines . Getting final reminders and threatening of court the 3 of them are now up to 190 each . Letters still getting binned. They can’t take you to court in Scotland. I created a thread on the kickback about parking fines a lot of good info on it . 

I have openly admitted before that I work for a Private Parking Company, so I am not here to argue or fall out with anybody, but there are a lot of mistruths out there. I just want to give a bit of inside information on, and take from it what you wish. As I say I am not going to enter into any arguments about it.

A lot of people do ignore tickets, or bin them etc, and that is due to Scotland having different parking laws to England & Wales. This is all in the process of changing though. Scotland is falling into line with England. & Wales, at some point over the next 6-12 months probably. This will mean Scottish tickets will be able to be taken to court if they so wish. The reality is somebody with 1 or 2 tickets are unlikely ever to be taken to court, but people with multiple tickets probably will be.

As somebody said above, you need to know who is driving the car which is the main stumbling block, but you can still be taken to court on probability you were driving. However it isn’t true we can’t enforce tickets. I know we are currently compiling a list of the worst repeat offenders, and issuing them with Letter Before Court ( LBC’s), and we are actually going to take a selection of them to court under the current legislation. If somebody racks up 10+ tickets, the final decision will be up to the judge, but the legal team who represents us are quite confident a judge will not take to kindly to people regularly parking illegally. We were going to wait until the law change happens, but we are going for it, as we know it definitely is going to happen.

It is costly taking people to court, so it is only worthwhile targeting repeat offenders, so I know we are starting doing it next month. No matter what, when Scotland falls into line its rest of UK, all parking tickets would be potentially open to that Avenue.

6 minutes ago, daftie said:

I have openly admitted before that I work for a Private Parking Company, so I am not here to argue or fall out with anybody, but there are a lot of mistruths out there. I just want to give a bit of inside information on, and take from it what you wish. As I say I am not going to enter into any arguments about it.

A lot of people do ignore tickets, or bin them etc, and that is due to Scotland having different parking laws to England & Wales. This is all in the process of changing though. Scotland is falling into line with England. & Wales, at some point over the next 6-12 months probably. This will mean Scottish tickets will be able to be taken to court if they so wish. The reality is somebody with 1 or 2 tickets are unlikely ever to be taken to court, but people with multiple tickets probably will be.

As somebody said above, you need to know who is driving the car which is the main stumbling block, but you can still be taken to court on probability you were driving. However it isn’t true we can’t enforce tickets. I know we are currently compiling a list of the worst repeat offenders, and issuing them with Letter Before Court ( LBC’s), and we are actually going to take a selection of them to court under the current legislation. If somebody racks up 10+ tickets, the final decision will be up to the judge, but the legal team who represents us are quite confident a judge will not take to kindly to people regularly parking illegally. We were going to wait until the law change happens, but we are going for it, as we know it definitely is going to happen.

It is costly taking people to court, so it is only worthwhile targeting repeat offenders, so I know we are starting doing it next month. No matter what, when Scotland falls into line its rest of UK, all parking tickets would be potentially open to that Avenue.

Hopefully you can get a new job soon rather than working for these leeches.

On 08/03/2021 at 13:34, Restonbabe said:

Bin they have no way what so ever of knowing who owns the car or who the registered keeper is 

Absolute nonsense.

Screenshot_20210311-173456.png

The Real Maroonblood
4 minutes ago, SteauaNeedarest said:

Hopefully you can get a new job soon rather than working for these leeches.

:lol:

Ive worked for them for a while, but at the end of the day it is a job.

I have also mentioned before, we patrol Residential developments enabling owners/residents to park on their own property. I don’t feel bad doing that to be honest. I don’t think somebody buying\renting a property with parking should put up with people outwith their developments parking there. I know I would be raging if I couldn’t park at my own home due to interlopers.

We have several sites where some elderly residents are scared to take their own car out to go shopping, as they know they are unlikely to park in their car park again when they return. That’s not right IMO

The Hogfather
8 minutes ago, daftie said:

I have also mentioned before, we patrol Residential developments enabling owners/residents to park on their own property. I don’t feel bad doing that to be honest. I don’t think somebody buying\renting a property with parking should put up with people outwith their developments parking there. I know I would be raging if I couldn’t park at my own home due to interlopers.

We have several sites where some elderly residents are scared to take their own car out to go shopping, as they know they are unlikely to park in their car park again when they return. That’s not right IMO

You don't have to justify your job mate, it's just a job. No-one has the right to judge you because they don't like the company you work for.

The Real Maroonblood
1 minute ago, Nunya Business said:

You don't have to justify your job mate, it's just a job. No-one has the right to judge you because they don't like the company you work for.

:spoton:

13 minutes ago, daftie said:

Agree with that, supermarket and shopping centre car parks are the ones I have a problem with.

Edited by graygo

The Real Maroonblood
5 minutes ago, graygo said:

Agree with that, supermarket and shopping centre car parks are the ones I have a problem with.

This.

The sad thing is the parking companies at shops, hospitals, retail parks will all have the extra powers as well, so they will also be able to pursue you a lot easier.

I think most people find those type of enforcement, unproportional to what you’re expected to pay. The reality is however, it is their land, so they can impose whatever restrictions they see fit.

3 hours ago, daftie said:

The sad thing is the parking companies at shops, hospitals, retail parks will all have the extra powers as well, so they will also be able to pursue you a lot easier.

I think most people find those type of enforcement, unproportional to what you’re expected to pay. The reality is however, it is their land, so they can impose whatever restrictions they see fit.

Just because someone owns a piece of land it doesn't mean that they can "impose whatever restrictions they see fit" on it. 

Try putting up a sign saying "park here and you agree to pay £1000" and then see how that flies in court.

Nucky Thompson

Got a ticket yesterday :vangry:

I was working in an area that was free parking but had double yellows on the corners. I couldn't find a space anywhere so squeezed into a space on a corner with half a tyre on the line.

The twat must have come round on his moped and spotted me.

A £100 wee job has now turned into a £70 job. Raging

• 1 month later...
JamboCampbell

Appreciate the posts guys, just an update we had the first debt recovery letter through. Not really too bothered. 

My assumption is still that the liability/keeper thing hasnt yet become law but has passed the bill. 

Hope my assumption is right as thats what sounds like will get this quashed. 

23 minutes ago, JamboCampbell said:

Appreciate the posts guys, just an update we had the first debt recovery letter through. Not really too bothered. 

My assumption is still that the liability/keeper thing hasnt yet become law but has passed the bill. 

Hope my assumption is right as thats what sounds like will get this quashed. 

It won't need quashed, they won't go to court for one parking invoice.

FORTHCLYDE

I received a parking ticket for exceeding allocated time.

Lucky I took picture when I entered my details that proved that I had committed no offence.

If I had the money I would have taken the council to court.

My letters from DCBL have stopped no had one in a couple months touch wood . But there is people out there who would of worried and paid it ( my partner would of paid it ) 445 quid they wanted over 4 parking fines nothing came off it . If it comes back around and I get letters they will again be ignored .

• 1 month later...

Received one of these in the post yesterday for a car I haven't owned in about 7 years :lol:

Straight in the bin.

24 minutes ago, AndyNic said:

Received one of these in the post yesterday for a car I haven't owned in about 7 years :lol:

Straight in the bin.

I I’m still getting letters still ignoring them some FB groups are really good with the advice on them and how to deal with them . 

• 1 month later...
Konrad von Carstein

Just recieved a letter from Dirrct Collection Bailiffs Ltd.

Made a schoolboy error over 2 years ago and parked in a hotel car park as I was early for picking up the missus.

£170 within 14 days or they will recommend to thier client to commence legal action against me.

Very unsettling officious language used throughout.

Do I ignore?

8 minutes ago, Konrad von Carstein said:

Made a schoolboy error over 2 years ago and parked in a hotel car park as I was early for picking up the missus.

£170 within 14 days or they will recommend to thier client to commence legal action against me.

Do I ignore?

Personally, Inwould ignore. It’s highly unlikely that they’ll commence with legal action for such a small amount. They would need to prove you were the person who parked the car there, as in Scotland they can only pursue the driver of the car, not the owner. So it’s more trouble than it’s worth for them.

Of course, if it puts your mind at rest then pay the fine. Otherwise Chuck the letter in the bin.

16 minutes ago, Konrad von Carstein said:

Do I ignore?

2 years ago?

How does something like that take 2 years.

Don’t pay the fine. They use official language like that to scare unwitting folk into paying a ridiculous charge for the “offence” committed. The rarely take I’ll to court and only do so if it clearly worth their while which in your case it isn’t. 

I have issue with these companies and how they can get away with harassing folk. I also have issue with how they can be allowed to get personal details of folks address when it isn’t even clear or proven that the person driving was the owner of the vehicle. 

should you have parked in the car park? Probably not. Does it warrent  huge fines and threatening letters? Absolutely not. The ethics behind these companies are non existent and and it is purely a goon for hire service. 

If these companies don’t want members of public parking on their property then put a barrier or gate system in place. 

Konrad von Carstein
4 minutes ago, hughesie27 said:

2 years ago?

Sorry I meant to say that in the intervening period we have moved house and changed cars...I had ignored the first letter when at the old address.

2 minutes ago, AlimOzturk said:

Don’t pay the fine. They use official language like that to scare unwitting folk into paying a ridiculous charge for the “offence” committed. The rarely take I’ll to court and only do so if it clearly worth their while which in your case it isn’t. 

I have issue with these companies and how they can get away with harassing folk. I also have issue with how they can be allowed to get personal details of folks address when it isn’t even clear or proven that the person driving was the owner of the vehicle. 

should you have parked in the car park? Probably not. Does it warrent  huge fines and threatening letters? Absolutely not. The ethics behind these companies are non existent and and it is purely a goon for hire service. 

If these companies don’t want members of public parking on their property then put a barrier or gate system in place. 

:spoton: 

Konrad von Carstein
Just now, jonesy said:

'Parked at a hotel because I was too early to pick you up, darling.' Sure that sounded alright over the breakfast table, Konnie, but you're not pulling the wool over our eyes...

There's always one :lol:

24 minutes ago, hughesie27 said:

2 years ago?

due to covid lots of bailiff companies would have their people either on furlough or in the office (well at home) so unable to visit people for moneys owed. this would give them time to go through things like this and try and get money out of people. basically until covid it would not be seen as a high priority but due to people not doing much it made it a simple task to try and get the money

11 minutes ago, milky_26 said:

due to covid lots of bailiff companies would have their people either on furlough or in the office (well at home) so unable to visit people for moneys owed. this would give them time to go through things like this and try and get money out of people. basically until covid it would not be seen as a high priority but due to people not doing much it made it a simple task to try and get the money

Yeah trying their best to get as much money as possible out to outstanding charges. they drop after it hits 5 years . there is so many letters DCBL have sent out to people in the last 6 months if they sent out 100 letters and 20 paid and the fine was £150 on the charges they will make £3k in a day - the original company who issued the fine will not get this it will all go to DCBL as they have taking on the outstanding fines probably paid a 1 off payment  for a data base knowing they will make the money back and a profit with these letters they sent to people.   

As everyone else has said ignore - unless you get a letter from the Sheriff court - ignoring those leads to guaranteed trouble. 
the chances of them taking it that far for a one off ticket are pretty slim though - especially after 2 years. If it does go that far, there’s still plenty of advice on the various parking forums

Also on these letters they call them CCJ county court judgements not Scottish. South of the border may be different dealing with this mob but stick it out ignore them don't even try and contact them and haggle a settlement.  

The only fines you need to take notice of are from the council and the police. The penalty charge notices from these shysters are not even worth wiping your bum with. 

Francis Albert

Thread re-appears just in time for the usual debate on parking in Sainsbury's on match days.

Edited by Francis Albert

jack D and coke
21 hours ago, Konrad von Carstein said:

Sorry I meant to say that in the intervening period we have moved house and changed cars...I had ignored the first letter when at the old address.

I’m fairly sure as long as you make no contact with them it’ll go away. I’ve had a couple with the same threatening language and just ignored. The letters stopped. 

2 hours ago, Francis Albert said:

Thread re-appears just in time for the usual debate on parking in Sainsbury's on match days.

You no get 3hr parking in Lidl or Aldi whatever it is  ?

Francis Albert
2 hours ago, Stu_HMFC said:

You no get 3hr parking in Lidl or Aldi whatever it is  ?

Don't know. I usually use public transport. On the occasions I drive I park on the street and walk maybe 5 minutes or so more than I would parking in Sainsburys or those places. I actually think people with private land should be entitled to reserve parking for their customers and the law should do something to support them doing so.

I have had an issue with UKPC or one of its equivalents who tried to charge me in error but eventually got it sorted.

I am not sure what the alternative for private land owners is. Just allow a free for all and force their customers to shop or dine or whatever elsewhere?

24 minutes ago, Francis Albert said:

Don't know. I usually use public transport. On the occasions I drive I park on the street and walk maybe 5 minutes or so more than I would parking in Sainsburys or those places. I actually think people with private land should be entitled to reserve parking for their customers and the law should do something to support them doing so.

I have had an issue with UKPC or one of its equivalents who tried to charge me in error but eventually got it sorted.

I am not sure what the alternative for private land owners is. Just allow a free for all and force their customers to shop or dine or whatever elsewhere?

I don't have a issue with parking never have I normally park up at Hutchison no issues up there plenty spaces around the streets. 

6 hours ago, Francis Albert said:

Never had an issue parking there, think you get plenty time to fit the match in. 

Francis Albert
13 minutes ago, Dazo said:

Never had an issue parking there, think you get plenty time to fit the match in. 

Maybe shoppers have had an issue. I have seen queues of cars winding round the car park  as I walked past at the end of the game. A  further 5 

minutes got me to my car parked in  Balgreen. Probably hit the road before some got out of Sainsbury' s car park.

Avoiding these tickets seems simple to me. Comply with what the landowner asks you to do. Unless you are content with people parking on or across your drive or squatting in your home.

The Real Maroonblood
13 minutes ago, Francis Albert said:

Maybe shoppers have had an issue. I have seen queues of cars winding round the car park  as I walked past at the end of the game. A  further 5 

minutes got me to my car parked in  Balgreen. Probably hit the road before some got out of Sainsbury' s car park.

Avoiding these tickets seems simple to me. Comply with what the landowner asks you to do. Unless you are content with people parking on or across your drive or squatting in your home.

Fair comment.