Recommend a Documentary

JamboSpur

Doctor FinnBarr

Not read all the thread but I'm guessing Battle of the Beanfield hasn't come up? Search it out on Youtube, not the song by the Levellers* but the actual ITN footage of the "hippy convoy" being attacked early morning by the police near Stonehenge in the early 80s. ITN never broadcast it to their shame.

*The Levellers song was about the incident.

• Replies 288
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• JudyJudyJudy

• Tazio

• Ray Gin

• Салатные палочки

henrysmithsgloves
2 minutes ago, Doctor FinnBarr said:

Not read all the thread but I'm guessing Battle of the Beanfield hasn't come up? Search it out on Youtube, not the song by the Levellers* but the actual ITN footage of the "hippy convoy" being attacked early morning by the police near Stonehenge in the early 80s. ITN never broadcast it to their shame.

*The Levellers song was about the incident.

Sounds a good view, thanks for that 😀

Doctor FinnBarr
18 minutes ago, henrysmithsgloves said:

Sounds a good view, thanks for that 😀

Just had a look on Youtube and the ITN footage has been cut down to 8 minutes instead of the 50 it was before. There's a few more longer one's that I've not watched so I don't know how good/true they are.

Joey J J Jr Shabadoo
15 hours ago, crunchy frog said:

A non football thread where everyone can come on and post documentary recommendations and you try and pick a fight as usual. What is the matter with you exactly?

He is correct, though. And he is correct to point out KB's biggest bullshitters error.

been here before
16 hours ago, crunchy frog said:

A non football thread where everyone can come on and post documentary recommendations and you try and pick a fight as usual. What is the matter with you exactly?

9 hours ago, crunchy frog said:

Mate it doesn't matter what he said. Hes an absolute desperado that has no joy in his life unless its slagging someone else off or picking fault. A fud's fud.

:rofl:

What a quality late night rant.

There are a few recommendations on the thread from me if you're that desperate for my thoughts :lol:

Im not sure whats funnier, your hissy fit over a week old post or James somehow or other guessing the post was in reply to his (yet again) erroneous statement despite have me " on ignore ", to use his own adventurous style of quotation marks.

Ive recorded the Hatton documentary and Ill nip by here when I've had time to watch it, not sure when thatll be though but its a wee something for you to look forward too. :thumbs_up:

Edited by been here before

1 hour ago, been here before said:

:rofl:

What a quality late night rant.

There are a few recommendations on the thread from me if you're that desperate for my thoughts :lol:

Im not sure whats funnier, your hissy fit over a week old post or James somehow or other guessing the post was in reply to his (yet again) erroneous statement despite have me " on ignore ", to use his own adventurous style of quotation marks.

Ive recorded the Hatton documentary and Ill nip by here when I've had time to watch it, not sure when thatll be though but its a wee something for you to look forward too. :thumbs_up:

Good man I shall look forward to that. Thats what the thread is about innit. 

3 hours ago, crunchy frog said:

Good man I shall look forward to that. Thats what the thread is about innit. 

i really wish he could actually state why my statement was false? still waiting. 

been here before
18 hours ago, JudyJudyJudy said:

Hes on ignore so no sure what he said. 

13 hours ago, JudyJudyJudy said:

Heave why I have him on ignore ! 😎👍 I assume he was contradicting my post yet didn’t actually say why it was wrong 

35 minutes ago, JudyJudyJudy said:

i really wish he could actually state why my statement was false? still waiting. 

Waiting for a reply from someone you're pretending you've got on ignore. 😆

Desperate attention seeking at its best. :rofl:

Try google.

12 minutes ago, JudyJudyJudy said:

😎

IMG_5574.jpeg

Sofia Coppola, Nicolas Cage, Carmine Coppola and Francis Ford Coppola

Sofia’s win in 2004 for Best Original Screenplay for “Lost in Translation” made the Coppolas the second three-generation Oscar winners in the history of the Academy. Her father, acclaimed director Francis, won his first of five Oscars out 14 nominations in 1971, for Best Writing for “Patton.” His father Carmine was a composer who won Best Original Score in 1975 for his son’s film “The Godfather: Part II,” for which Francis also won Best Picture, Best Director and Best Writing (Francis had also won for writing for “The Godfather” in 1973). Carmine also has a grandson who is an Oscar winner: Nicolas Cage won Best Actor in 1996 for “Leaving Las Vegas.” All in all, Carmine and his descendants have accumulated 23 Academy Award nominations, with eight competitive wins.

7 minutes ago, Tazio said:

Sofia Coppola, Nicolas Cage, Carmine Coppola and Francis Ford Coppola

Sofia’s win in 2004 for Best Original Screenplay for “Lost in Translation” made the Coppolas the second three-generation Oscar winners in the history of the Academy. Her father, acclaimed director Francis, won his first of five Oscars out 14 nominations in 1971, for Best Writing for “Patton.” His father Carmine was a composer who won Best Original Score in 1975 for his son’s film “The Godfather: Part II,” for which Francis also won Best Picture, Best Director and Best Writing (Francis had also won for writing for “The Godfather” in 1973). Carmine also has a grandson who is an Oscar winner: Nicolas Cage won Best Actor in 1996 for “Leaving Las Vegas.” All in all, Carmine and his descendants have accumulated 23 Academy Award nominations, with eight competitive wins.

That’s stretching it Cage is a nephew . It was about 3 generations of the one family , grandad , dad , daughter , son 

Just now, JudyJudyJudy said:

That’s stretching it Cage is a nephew . It was about 3 generations of the one family , grandad , dad , daughter , son 

And it is if you read it properly. Carmine, Francis, and Sofia. Cage is a bonus…

13 minutes ago, Tazio said:

And it is if you read it properly. Carmine, Francis, and Sofia. Cage is a bonus…

So who’s carmine ? 

So who’s carmine ? 

Have you still not read it? Francis’ father, Sofia’s grandfather. He won the Oscar for his score for The Godfather 2. 

6 minutes ago, Tazio said:

Have you still not read it? Francis’ father, Sofia’s grandfather. He won the Oscar for his score for The Godfather 2. 

So it was 3 generations . Fine.  Just like the Hustons are 3 generations. Happy now. ? Has you day improved because of pointing this out ? In any way?  

So it was 3 generations . Fine.  Just like the Hustons are 3 generations. Happy now. ? Has you day improved because of pointing this out ? In any way?  

You posted your “proof” with a smiley above it. I was just pointing out you weren’t right. Did your post of proof improve your day? 

Just now, Tazio said:

You posted your “proof” with a smiley above it. I was just pointing out you weren’t right. Did your post of proof improve your day? 

Get a life 

been here before
2 minutes ago, Tazio said:

**** me there’s irony for you. You were wrong, it’s no big deal. 

Careful or you'll be next on his kiddy on pretendy "on ignore" list. Either that or he'll go running to the mods.

10 minutes ago, Tazio said:

Well that rules out the Huston family as well. 

why ? john huston was an actor. 

• 5 months later...

For all you fans of serial killer docs out there. The Gilgo beach murders.

The Gilgo Beach serial killings were a series of killings between 1996 and 2011 in which the remains of 11 people were found in Gilgo Beach, located on the South Shore of Long Island, New York, United States.

Most of the known victims were sex workers who advertised on Craigslist. The perpetrator in the case is known as the Long Island Serial Killer.

The killer was not apprehended until last year. It all began in 2010 when a police K9 unit was on a training mission on this beach, and the dog finds a body.

On 04/03/2021 at 22:25, luckyBatistuta said:

I was really enjoying the Hotel Cecil one, but after such a good start, it all fell a bit flat for me.

Maradona one was excellent viewing.

Forgot about this, a really interesting watch. Stumbled across it and just couldn’t stop watching.

Recently watched Fear City, if anyone hasn’t seen it yet, you won’t be disappointed.

My favourite movie documentary is Senna, watched it on the plane to Florida. Folk must have been looking at me wondering who the crazy guy was, bubbled like a baby. 

Almost forgot, also cried watching Seve, another must see.

I've heard so many folk cite Senna as a masterpiece. I've got zero interest in formula one, but I'm going to have to delve into this one as it continues to get propped. Thanks, 

For those who know, the original Cocaine Cowboys is the best documentary we've ever seen. 

It's been remade, and reworked,  it inspired Griselda and its annoyingly hard to find, (DM me for a link)

The two key story tellers, John Roberts and Micky Mundy, bring you back in time and put you right there: Miami 1979-85.

It's a wild ride, and makes Scarface and Narcos look tame. And its factually correct. 

heartsfan

My favourite Documentaries .... Highly recommended:

- Hillsborough (The 30 For 30 one but the BBC Version as it has additional footage and interviews)

- Ken Burns The Civil War

- Lockerbie ( The 4 Part one which was on Sky Documentaries before Christmas)

- The Men Who Killed Kennedy (Some of it is wrong but still a lot of great information)

- Any Michael Palin (Especially Around The World In 80 Days & Pole To Pole)

- The World At War (An absolute classic series that everyone needs to watch)

- Shoah

- Lost Boy: The Killing Of James Bulger (Just heartwrenching)

- Piper Alpha: Fire In The Night (The book is also great)

- Most series with Bettany Hughes

- Senna

Edited by heartsfan

rudi must stay

Seen a lot of good ones recently 

Challenger : The Final Flight on netflix

Amityville Story on iPlayer

Waco on netflix

MH370 on netflix 

jambosean75

trafficked with mariana van zeller

as good a series of documentaries as you will get and she's one ballsy lady.

the off the grid meetings she has with some complete psychos, her life insurance must be through the roof 

Malinga the Swinga

The Deepest Breath on Netflix. The ending is just haunting.

How they are do motivated to dive to the depths they do is it unreal and I have to admit I couldn't imagine doing something like that 

Gorgiewave

Shakespeare: Rise of a Genius. On BBC iPlayer.

The besr documentary (it's a series) I've seen in years.

luckyBatistuta
On 10/02/2024 at 21:55, Deodato said:

I've heard so many folk cite Senna as a masterpiece. I've got zero interest in formula one, but I'm going to have to delve into this one as it continues to get propped. Thanks, 

I’m looking forward to your review in just under 3 years time  😁

Stasi FC on sky docs.

If you think our refs are bent, watch this!

Interesting doc about east German football.

9.79* is the best sporting doc I've ever seen as it has all those key ingredients

- great narrator

- editing and music 

- storyline (you kinda remembered it)

- plot twists (OH MY GOD you gotta see it)

- uncovers a even bigger story, like when the 84 olympics was ALL drugs

Watch this and you will not be disappointed. The trailer will give you goose bumps.