• Replies 288
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• JudyJudyJudy

• Tazio

• Ray Gin

• Салатные палочки

I’m in the middle of watching Ours which I recorded off BT Sport. All about clubs that have gone to the wall and been reborn, mainly through fan ownership. Currently talking about Ebbsfleet where they actually had the bizarre idea that if you bought into the club you had a say on all matters in the club, from team selection to basic decisions like how the stadium should be painted and what colour. Unbelievably naive idea to try. 

Edited by Tazio

been here before

Just sitting watching The Damned: Dont You Wish That We Were Dead.

No bad. Saw it a couple of years ago.

Sensible's a bit of a fud, sort of Spinal Tap made real. Scabies comes over as a bit bitter.

Edited by been here before

"Kings of Pasty", 2009.

Following several pastry chefs trying to get a Meilleur Ouvrier de France (MOF) which is an official recognition of a master craftsman and can make a person's career.

Any chef with the red, white and blue collar is a MOF.

Some of the creations are incredible and it's well worth a watch.

Just now, Cade said:

"Kings of Pasty", 2009.

Following several pastry chefs trying to get a Meilleur Ouvrier de France (MOF) which is an official recognition of a master craftsman and can make a person's career.

Any chef with the red, white and blue collar is a MOF.

Some of the creations are incredible and it's well worth a watch.

Available where?

No Idle Talk
On 03/03/2021 at 18:10, Cruyff said:

Ken Burns - The Vietnam War 

Best documentary I've ever seen. 

Spooky soundtrack provided by Trent Reznor Atticus Ross

End thread. 

Hands down the best documentary I have ever watched. Some classic tunes thrown in just for good measure.

On 03/03/2021 at 18:58, Jambos_1874 said:

The Diego Maradona one was very good.

:spoton:

I watched it on Sunday/Monday.  Had it saved on hdd until I had time to relax, concentrate, enjoy it.   Was very informative for myself.   I didn't know what his background and life surrounding his career was like.   It's definitely changed my opinion of him. 

Mind of a monster Ted bundy:  Two part documentary.    I watched it in 2019

I think it covers his background from a kid to adult.    If it's the same one.   It's fairly informative.   

I'll Be Gone In The Dark:

It's about the golden state killer.    Covers it well and gives you a main character in helping solve the case.  It's also got a back story on the author.   Quite disturbing obviously and sad.   You might recognise the husband of the author as a comedian/actor. 

The Menendez Murders: Erik Tells All:

Disturbing ordeal for the guy.   Revealing stuff about the persons involved.   Was a hard viewing.   

Its better watching the documentaries than relying on the films for accurate detailed information.    Best to just dive into them.   Although saying that, I've taken a break watching this genre, it's just sick. 

What's the Matter with Tony Slattery?

Horizon 2020:

The Tony Slattery one was also eye opening.   I will never view him the same again on his TV shows.   I had no idea what he went through.  

I don't recommend watching any of these if you're easily disturbed or frightful.   

8 hours ago, No Idle Talk said:

End thread. 

Hands down the best documentary I have ever watched. Some classic tunes thrown in just for good measure.

Indeed, it's pretty spectacular. 👍

7 hours ago, HMFC01 said:

Horizon 2020:

The Tony Slattery one was also eye opening.   I will never view him the same again on his TV shows.   I had no idea what he went through.  

I watched this too. Poor guy. :( 

SectionDJambo

I watched a documentary about Hitler's wealth the other night, fully expecting it just to show the theft of art treasures etc. But he was much more devious and organised than that.

He had an agent who handled the sales, and alterations for easier reading, of Mein Kampf. The German government gave every newly married German couple, after he became Chancellor, a free copy of the book, which gave him royalties from each copy, paid for by the government. 

He trade marked his photographic image, which meant he got further royalties from each postage stamp printed, as his head was on them. 

He took donations and admission fees from his rallies and put them into a bank account he always denied existed. He claimed the money went to the party. Before he was elected Chancellor, the German tax people were chasing him for this tax arrears on this money, but once elected they, not surprisingly, backed off.

The whereabouts of has vast monetary fortune is unknown, but probably in a Swiss bank, which can now be claimed by the Swiss government. He has living relatives who have been trying to locate the bank account for years, without any success.

45 minutes ago, SectionDJambo said:

I watched a documentary about Hitler's wealth the other night, fully expecting it just to show the theft of art treasures etc. But he was much more devious and organised than that.

He had an agent who handled the sales, and alterations for easier reading, of Mein Kampf. The German government gave every newly married German couple, after he became Chancellor, a free copy of the book, which gave him royalties from each copy, paid for by the government. 

He trade marked his photographic image, which meant he got further royalties from each postage stamp printed, as his head was on them. 

He took donations and admission fees from his rallies and put them into a bank account he always denied existed. He claimed the money went to the party. Before he was elected Chancellor, the German tax people were chasing him for this tax arrears on this money, but once elected they, not surprisingly, backed off.

The whereabouts of has vast monetary fortune is unknown, but probably in a Swiss bank, which can now be claimed by the Swiss government. He has living relatives who have been trying to locate the bank account for years, without any success.

I watched worlds greatest treasure mysteries on history Channel, series one episode five.   It was a bonus feature at the end, last ten minutes.    Was about the Germans chucking gold and english counterfeit money into an Austrian lake.   Basically to hide it.  Not same as yours but was interesting.    If there is a longer documentary based on that instead of ten minutes it would be worth a watch. 

Lake Toplitz, Austria. 

Found this one. 

Edited by HMFC01

SectionDJambo
1 hour ago, HMFC01 said:

I watched worlds greatest treasure mysteries on history Channel, series one episode five.   It was a bonus feature at the end, last ten minutes.    Was about the Germans chucking gold and english counterfeit money into an Austrian lake.   Basically to hide it.  Not same as yours but was interesting.    If there is a longer documentary based on that instead of ten minutes it would be worth a watch. 

Lake Toplitz, Austria. 

Found this one. 

They mentioned an old salt mine at an Austrian lake where Hitler kept his art collection hidden. Perfect environment for them. The Nazis told the local miners to blow up the entrance when the allies were getting close, but they didn't. The Americans got there first and took everything away, but seem to have mucked up the inventory, meaning some people didn't get their property back. Some of the art had actually been paid for by Hitler, but using his, tax free, ill gotten gains of course.

34 minutes ago, SectionDJambo said:

They mentioned an old salt mine at an Austrian lake where Hitler kept his art collection hidden. Perfect environment for them. The Nazis told the local miners to blow up the entrance when the allies were getting close, but they didn't. The Americans got there first and took everything away, but seem to have mucked up the inventory, meaning some people didn't get their property back. Some of the art had actually been paid for by Hitler, but using his, tax free, ill gotten gains of course.

https://www.warhistoryonline.com/instant-articles/mystery-of-lake-toplitz.html

An article I just read about finding merkers salt mine full of gold.   Good read, links alot of stuff around the toplitz myth.   Also mentions a possible cavern around the surface of the lake  in the mountain that was blown up and never found. 

I'm sure that history Channel documentary mentioned a possible cave under the water.   Which wouldn't be far fetched since the naval research base was there blowing stuff up under water.   They could have used mini subs to hide it.    

Fun summary of the lake but does miss some facts out. 

Edited by HMFC01

Ken Burns rightly getting plenty respect but any documentary by Errol Morris, Alex Gibney, Adam Curtis, Joshua Oppenheimer, Andrew Jarecki and Asif Kapadia is worth watching. 

Some of the Netflix crime docs are a bit hit and miss. I thought don’t **** with cats was terrible! Interesting case but really badly made. 

Don’t you wish you were dead 

A documentary about The Damned.

Some top tunes. Butter splits. Laugh and tears

Edited by Jamhammer

5 hours ago, jonnothejambo said:

It was a great documentary and he really has gone through a tough time. 

I saw him during the Festival 3 years ago and again 2 years ago as part of the Whose Line It Anyway cast and he was in excellent form but you could see that the years have taken their toll.

Yeah I saw him a few years ago too and couldn't believe how much he'd aged. Easy to see why after watching the documentary though. 

William H. Bonney

LA 92. 
102 minutes that changed America 

Free solo

The act of killing 

The cove

Gimme shelter 

hype 

the aristocrats 

Edited by Furious Styles

Two brilliant documentaries if you like music are:

Hired Guns all about session musicians and support band members 

30ft From Stardom all about backing singers. 

On 10/03/2021 at 15:18, Seymour M Hersh said:

Narco Wars on National Geographic. 

Totally agree - excellent

JudyJudyJudy
On 04/03/2021 at 22:53, AlimOzturk said:

The jinx

The staircase

making a murderer

Voyeur

Blue thin line

Great selection there’ The Jinx and The staircase are both superb 

19 hours ago, HMFC01 said:

Mind of a monster Ted bundy:  Two part documentary.    I watched it in 2019

I think it covers his background from a kid to adult.    If it's the same one.   It's fairly informative.   

I'll Be Gone In The Dark:

It's about the golden state killer.    Covers it well and gives you a main character in helping solve the case.  It's also got a back story on the author.   Quite disturbing obviously and sad.   You might recognise the husband of the author as a comedian/actor. 

The Menendez Murders: Erik Tells All:

Disturbing ordeal for the guy.   Revealing stuff about the persons involved.   Was a hard viewing.   

Its better watching the documentaries than relying on the films for accurate detailed information.    Best to just dive into them.   Although saying that, I've taken a break watching this genre, it's just sick. 

Horizon 2020:

I don't recommend watching any of these if you're easily disturbed or frightful.   

Yes the Tony Slattery was very sad . Mental illness can be very cruel . Poor guy 

JudyJudyJudy

This is a fascinating documentary about the Hollywood actress Hedy Lamarr who escaped as such from Nazi Germany and carved a career as a sex symbol actress but even more extraordinary became the co / inventor of frequency / hopping jamming of torpedoes in the Second World War with another person. This invention breakthrough basically paved the way for GPS wi fi systems we now take fir granted . it also probably helped the ear finish earlier and save countless lives 

Spoiler

She lost the patent to get invention . If she hadn’t she would have been a multi millionaire . She lived to a good age and eventually got the recognition she deserved in later by respected scientists institutions . She wasn’t taken seriously as an inventor due to being a female and her good looks 

Edited by JamesM48

BTS ESPN 3030 documentaries. 

Be Water (Bruce Lee) :

Was an excellent thorough documentary.   From his youth to his adult years.    Well detailed.   Alot of stuff I didn't t know before watching other documentaries about him.   It's a long watch, about two hours.    I am hoping it's the right one I'm recommending.   There's is another one called I am Bruce Lee.    I'm going to record them both again then compare them.   Both start Monday. 

The I am Bruce Lee is on sky documentary channel.   

Galacticos.... Business is episode 2...just starting on BT espn now

3 episodes and tonight's is episode 2

Raul, Ronaldo, Morientes etc etc

Edited by CJGJ

No Idle Talk
14 hours ago, Ominous said:

My name is Francesco Totti is good,it is on Sky Documentaries. What a player he was.

Legend. Will have to give that a watch.

8 hours ago, No Idle Talk said:

Legend. Will have to give that a watch.

That year Roma won the league with Totti and Batistuta up front was for me the best time for watching European football. Nowadays i couldn't care less about the champions league or any players in it.

12 hours ago, CJGJ said:

Galacticos.... Business is episode 2...just starting on BT espn now

3 episodes and tonight's is episode 2

Raul, Ronaldo, Morientes etc etc

Need to watch that Raul is my favourite ever player (after Robbo of course).

Watched the Japanese tsunami caught on video documentary from a couple of nights ago. Devastation the likes I’ll probably never see again. Interviews with survivors who amazingly found strength to try and rebuild their lives

A Mighty Wind.  It's about a folk band reunion.

Really, really good.

Edited by Lovecraft

Peakybunnet
On 03/03/2021 at 18:55, Auld Reekin' said:

Any of the travel / world-affairs series by Simon Reeves have been very good, as have those by Ben Anderson and Bruce Parry. All three seem to be able to establish a good rapport and to empathise well with those they encounter and come across as likeable, enquiring, and intelligent.

Really enjoyed Simon Reeves in Turkey. Fascinating country when you get away from the holiday resorts. 

1 hour ago, Lovecraft said:

A Mighty Wind.  It's about a folk band reunion.

Really, really good.

😂 best in show is even better!

Auld Reekin'
1 hour ago, Peakybunnet said:

Really enjoyed Simon Reeves in Turkey. Fascinating country when you get away from the holiday resorts. 

Yep - never been but would like to. As you say though, I'd want to be well away from the tourist resorts. Don't much care for the current Erdogan regime, but that shouldn't be a reason not to visit: don't much care for our own (Westminster) government at the moment either!

Same story with Iran. By all accounts a fascinating country too, with plenty spectacular scenery and much in the way of culture and history, but run by the mullahs so getting a beer can be a bit of a problem.

Peakybunnet
15 minutes ago, Auld Reekin' said:

Yep - never been but would like to. As you say though, I'd want to be well away from the tourist resorts. Don't much care for the current Erdogan regime, but that shouldn't be a reason not to visit: don't much care for our own (Westminster) government at the moment either!

Same story with Iran. By all accounts a fascinating country too, with plenty spectacular scenery and much in the way of culture and history, but run by the mullahs so getting a beer can be a bit of a problem.

With you on Iran. Its a shame they cant live with us instead of against us and vice versa. Danger of going there on holiday is you end up in a cell for 5 years on a trumped up spying charge.

By all accounts a beautiful country. 

https://theculturetrip.com/middle-east/iran/articles/20-must-visit-attractions-in-iran/

Inside Waco 1993. Link below.

David Koresh (cult leader and massive nut job who shags everything he can) and his branch Davidians hole up in a massive compound in Texas. Also a fan of automatic rifles. 

Place gets stormed and it goes tits up leading to the longest siege in American History.

Ends in disaster. 

Auld Reekin'
7 minutes ago, Peakybunnet said:

With you on Iran. Its a shame they cant live with us instead of against us and vice versa. Danger of going there on holiday is you end up in a cell for 5 years on a trumped up spying charge.

By all accounts a beautiful country. 

https://theculturetrip.com/middle-east/iran/articles/20-must-visit-attractions-in-iran/

'The Art of Persia' is a really good wee series too:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/m000k48j

On 03/03/2021 at 18:10, Cruyff said:

Ken Burns - The Vietnam War 

Best documentary I've ever seen. 

Spooky soundtrack provided by Trent Reznor Atticus Ross

This is a great documentary but in my opinion not as good as Ken Burns - The Civil War.

The interviews with Shelby Foote are great and could listen to his civil war knowledge all day.

Highly recommended.

I was listening to The Life Scientific this morning, an old episode with Demis Hassabis. He was talking about artificial intelligence and turned out he was the guy behind the company who developed the AI programme that defeated the World Go champion. As an achievment is was beyond the IBM Deep Blue v Kasparov in the chess world. 

The documentary is called AlphaGo and is on YouTube

The Life Scientific episode is here
https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/m0009zbj

25 minutes ago, RobboM said:

I was listening to The Life Scientific this morning, an old episode with Demis Hassabis. He was talking about artificial intelligence and turned out he was the guy behind the company who developed the AI programme that defeated the World Go champion. As an achievment is was beyond the IBM Deep Blue v Kasparov in the chess world. 

The documentary is called AlphaGo and is on YouTube

The Life Scientific episode is here
https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/m0009zbj

Alphago is superb

On 11/03/2021 at 21:07, Furious Styles said:

LA 92. 
102 minutes that changed America 

Free solo

The act of killing 

The cove

Gimme shelter 

hype 

the aristocrats 

The Act of Killing! That's the one I was trying to remember last week. One of the most messed up documentaries I've ever seen. 

Joey J J Jr Shabadoo
On 12/03/2021 at 23:49, heartsfan said:

This is a great documentary but in my opinion not as good as Ken Burns - The Civil War.

The interviews with Shelby Foote are great and could listen to his civil war knowledge all day.

Highly recommended.

The Baseball documentary is brilliant, too.

• 1 month later...
Салатные палочки

Just watched all three parts of the Madness, Before We Was We documentary on YouTube. Well worth a watch for any fans. 

• 3 months later...

Watched King Otto on Sky Documentary channel today.
It is about Otto Rehhagel who managed Greece to that unlikely 2004 Euros Win (sorry for spoilers 😁 )
As well as just being a good and interesting football documentary it includes a lot of commentary from the players including our own beloved Takis Fyssas.

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt14404882/

• 1 month later...