Budge Speaks

Sertse

ford donald
14 minutes ago, GinRummy said:

She’s said nothing I wouldn’t expect. Backing the manager, the day she doesn’t he won’t be here and spelling out what she expects as a standard, this season, then the next two. 

Nothing to criticise her for here. Quite like her top as well. 

Time for her to move aside.

• Replies 792
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Bongo 1874

• GinRummy

• Bazzas right boot

• Gambo

Just now, ford donald said:

Time for her to move aside.

I didn’t particularly want to hear from her and tbh I wish she’d completely remove herself from the football stuff. A bit of fear of the unknown for me if she was to leave altogether. 

I can understand her saying Robbies position is safe for now tbf. Afterall, he is ticking the promotion box and achieving the minimum requirement. I wouldn’t expect her to say anything else. 

However, I think she was very unwise to suggest that Robbie gets a free pass next season so long as he manages to establish us in the SPL. That speaks volumes. It suggests that the boards standards are lower than that of the support and that there is no real desire to strive for improvement. 

If things aren't going well early doors next season, she may find herself under pressure from sections of the support to sack Robbie and clearly she isn't going to do that. That isn't the best position to take. 

That to me just opens the path for criticism, more mistrust in the board than there already is and more ill feeling towards her & other members of the board that they are not the best people to run the club. 

Robbo-Jambo
17 minutes ago, OTT said:

This. 

We're raising legitimate serious concerns, pundits like Stevo are pointing out that they can't understand what we're trying to do and we're playing a league bellow where we should be and are to some degree struggling. 

Stevenson pointed out that it looks like we're relying on individual bits of quality from Boyce and Walker in an attacking sense, but I also think Gordon defensively. There doesn't seem to be a whole lot going on in the middle. Our defence considering who we have is woeful, our midfield isn't probing or creative enough. Its altogether not good enough for the resources he has at his disposal. 

And thats before we even start discussing the total absence of young players (with the exception of Irving and occasionally Henderson for some reason). 

Budge is terrible at holding the football department to a standard. I can appreciate that she wanted a safe pair of hands and taking a step back he is on course to achieve what was set out, but our academy isn't succeeding and we need a much clearer and more structured game plan. Think Gary Mackay pointed out we need to worry less about the opposition and play our own game. Levein suffered from the exact same obsession about nullifying the opposition to the extent that your own play gets bogged down in negativity. 

My preference is to let him go in the summer and get in someone who can promote youth more effectively. However, that isn't going to happen because this is Budge. He'll the full duration of his deal and we'll just need to live with the eye bleeding dross we're being expected to pay for. 

Well said 👍

billybalfour

I haven't actually seen the full statement but I don't seriously believe she has guaranteed Neilson a job for 3 years.It will all be dependent on results as usual.He isn't doing a dual role like Levein which seems to be why he lasted so long.

Let her get on with her job behind the scenes away from the football side of things.

If my memory serves me correctly she has brought in a new CEO,Savage and JJ so let them get on with their bit as I am sure they will be asked for input on Robbie''s performance on a regular basis.

I haven't seen a bad word about JJ or even a mention of him.Is he still there because if he is I am sure he will be assessing the situation and will let her know if we fail to meet our targets.

Here’s the issue, as an example, if she said we expect top 3 next year and we finish 4th some fans will demand he’s sacked, so she’s gone safe (bit like Robbies tactics) and said he’s got a few seasons. All she’s doing is deflecting the pressure from her manager. However the fact she’s had to comment means she’s aware there’s a rumblings, I’m certain she doesn’t want a repeat of the plaza demo.

What I would say about her now a days is she doesn’t look like the confident business woman she was when she first arrived, almost looked a little uneasy, nervous in that clip.

As others have said, limited in terms of what her response can be at this point.

However, I think for those of us that are becoming disillusioned at least the question is starting to be posed publicly.  With no crowds I can imagine it might feel like the strength of feeling isn't there but its clearly permeating. 

Vlad the impaler
1 hour ago, kingantti1874 said:

I don’t read to much into this type of stuff in all honesty, what would we expect her to say.

Like all other managers Neilsons future will be decided by results and the fans will ultimately make that decision , not Ann budge or anyone else.

he will get to see this season out without doubt , but if we start badly we will turn the screw, and if he isn’t removed.. the person not doing the removing will also be removed

it’s really as simple as that. 

In a nutshell 👏🏼  When fans return,Ann can have as many plans as she likes. Fans will have the power,and it will take some turnaround for Robbie to still be here. I hope I’m proven wrong 

Robbo-Jambo
9 minutes ago, Rudy T said:

Here’s the issue, as an example, if she said we expect top 3 next year and we finish 4th some fans will demand he’s sacked, so she’s gone safe (bit like Robbies tactics) and said he’s got a few seasons. All she’s doing is deflecting the pressure from her manager. However the fact she’s had to comment means she’s aware there’s a rumblings, I’m certain she doesn’t want a repeat of the plaza demo.

What I would say about her now a days is she doesn’t look like the confident business woman she was when she first arrived, almost looked a little uneasy, nervous in that clip.

Correct. 

She wouldn't have made any statement if the fans were happy with the way things are going. 

I haven't read through the Sky interview and there is nothing (yet) on the official website.

But it initially sounds like a bit siege mentality coming out of Budge and effectively two fingers to those who dare voice dissension into her decision making.

I think Mrs Budge is in for a bit of a shock!......If she thinks 3 year plans are the answer after having wasted to last 5 years. You have to seriously question her thought process.

This 3 year plan where does FoH fit in....Does Budge oversee and rubber stamp every appointment for the next 3 years?
What is Budge's role effectively after the takeover (sic!) has taken place?

If she believes that Hearts fans will accept middle of the table, mediocre performances she is sadly deluded....If Neilson fails to deliver the fans will certainly not give him 3 years

1 minute ago, Hashimoto said:

I haven't read through the Sky interview and there is nothing (yet) on the official website.

But it initially sounds like a bit siege mentality coming out of Budge and effectively two fingers to those who dare voice dissension into her decision making.

I think Mrs Budge is in for a bit of a shock!......If she thinks 3 year plans are the answer after having wasted to last 5 years. You have to seriously question her thought process.

This 3 year plan where does FoH fit in....Does Budge oversee and rubber stamp every appointment for the next 3 years?
What is Budge's role effectively after the takeover (sic!) has taken place?

If she believes that Hearts fans will accept middle of the table, mediocre performances she is sadly deluded....If Neilson fails to deliver the fans will certainly not give him 3 years

Tbh, I think everyone is reading a bit much into this. She’s backed the manager (that’s what club owners do), she’s spelled out the minimum she expects for the next few years and that’s pretty much it. If the results aren’t there she’ll be forced to change the manager. Nothing she said really changes that. 

She looked very agitated when speaking there. She knows the fans won't settle for these kind of pish tactics for 3 years.

Colonel Kurtz
1 hour ago, GinRummy said:

She’s said nothing I wouldn’t expect. Backing the manager, the day she doesn’t he won’t be here and spelling out what she expects as a standard, this season, then the next two. 

Nothing to criticise her for here. Quite like her top as well. 

Im sure you would look lovely in it

KyleLafferty

It was the expectations for next year that got me, 3rd/4th highest budget and she just wants to be established. Lack of ambition at the club is staggering.

Edited by KyleLafferty

18Jambo_dave74

I'm not saying I particularly want Neilson sacked and lets face it, she's not going to sack him when he is top of the league and will get us promoted. 

My issue is that she took too long to sack Cathro, far far too long to 'sack' Levein and again far too long to appoint Stendel. If Neilson is seriously underperforming in the Premiership with us I don't trust her to make the call quickly enough.

I appreciate people have differing opinions on managers but with Levein, to me it was absolutely clear that he should have been sacked long before he was. The fans all knew his time was up - there were banners and songs at the games as well as protests afterwards. The atmosphere at Tynecastle was particular poisonous at that time as well. Yet when questioned about it at the time, Budge referred to unhappy fans as "a pile" inferring that it was a minority and that it should be easily dismissed. We also heard comments along the line of "he'll know when to leave, I won't need to sack him". I still believe if decisions on our management were made an much earlier stages then we wouldn't be in the position we are now. 

2 minutes ago, Colonel Kurtz said:

Im sure you would look lovely in it

I’m one of those lucky people that look good in anything.  

Edited by GinRummy

1 hour ago, Juho_Makela_Goal_Machine said:

At some stage she needs to put her hands up and say 'this isn't working, and I need some support to help me with the football side of the club'. But this to me is arrogance based on 1 and a half successful seasons out of 6.

Hasn't she already done that, and brought in CEO Andrew McKinlay, Sporting Director Joe Savage, and football adviser Jim Jefferies to manage the football stuff?

The surprise to me is that it is AB speaking today, and not McKinlay.

The Grim Reaper
Just now, Maple Leaf said:

Hasn't she already done that, and brought in CEO Andrew McKinlay, Sporting Director Joe Savage, and football adviser Jim Jefferies to manage the football stuff?

Agreed, she should have put him or savage in front of the media. 

Bazzas right boot

Proper leader. 

Doesn't give into threats, graffiti and dad phoodle posters. 

Sick of changing managers and as long as we are heading in the right direction then time should be given, no logical reason to why not. 

She Probably regrets not doing more to keep him first time round, forget cathro, Stendel, keepinng CL too long, not keeping Robbie was her biggest mistake she probably knows this and won't make the same mistake again. 

Imagine the Robbie oot thread live for 3 years. 😂😂😂😂😂

Ofc, if things go to shite and a Dundee inspired by Cummings catch us and Wighton finishes us of in the play off then she needs to act fast. 

"minimum of three years" 

They'll be posters going full ghost rider on that comment. 

Edited by Smith's right boot

1 minute ago, Maple Leaf said:

She can't keep her nose out, control freak. 

21 minutes ago, Jamie Walker Tash said:

She looked very agitated when speaking there. She knows the fans won't settle for these kind of pish tactics for 3 years.

She has an edge to her oor Ann! 😳

2 minutes ago, Agentjambo said:

She can't keep her nose out, control freak. 

Could be, but imo it's McKinlay who should be feeling the heat for the crappy football.

3 minutes ago, Smith's right boot said:

Proper leader. 

Doesn't give into threats, graffiti and dad phoodle posters. 

Sick of changing managers and as long as we are heading in the right direction then time should be given, no logical reason to why not. 

She Probably regrets not doing more to keep him first time round, forget cathro, Stendel, keepinng CL too long, not keeping Robbie was her biggest mistake she probably knows this and won't make the same mistake again. 

Imagine the Robbie oot thread live for 3 years. 😂😂😂😂😂

Ofc, if things go to shite and a Dundee inspired by Cummings catch us and Wighton finishes us of in the play off then she needs to act fast. 

Whilst I can’t see it if your scenario played out there would indeed be a justifiable riot! 🙈

Saint Jambo
53 minutes ago, Cruyff said:

I can understand her saying Robbies position is safe for now tbf. Afterall, he is ticking the promotion box and achieving the minimum requirement. I wouldn’t expect her to say anything else. 

However, I think she was very unwise to suggest that Robbie gets a free pass next season so long as he manages to establish us in the SPL. That speaks volumes. It suggests that the boards standards are lower than that of the support and that there is no real desire to strive for improvement. 

If things aren't going well early doors next season, she may find herself under pressure from sections of the support to sack Robbie and clearly she isn't going to do that. That isn't the best position to take. 

That to me just opens the path for criticism, more mistrust in the board than there already is and more ill feeling towards her & other members of the board that they are not the best people to run the club. 

I agree. She didn't say he is safe for 3 years regardless. She said she sold it to him when he was appointed as a position she wanted him to be in for at least 3 years. Those are hardly the same thing. But within that, she is not now going to say that she is considering sacking him when we look almost certain to get promoted.

But as usual, her comms is rubbish. That has been true throughout her tenure. She doesn't come from a business background where the public were the customer and it has always shown.

The bit that does annoy me is the same as Cruyff. There is no need to view next season as a consolidation in the Premiership season. We will have one of the largest budgets in the league next year. Modern football doesn't need the slow development of a squad. We should be capable of assembling a squad in the summer that can challenge for 3rd. That doesn't mean that Budge needs to say the minimum requirement is 3rd next season, but she could paint a much more optimistic picture than to effectively write off next season. 

1 minute ago, Maple Leaf said:

Could be, but imo it's McKinlay who should be feeling the heat for the crappy football.

Strangely enough, I was querying yesterday who we should expect to hear from and was told that McKinlay is in charge of the non-football side of the business. 

Psychedelicropcircle

Spoken like someone about to hand power over in June👍 Nice one Ann 

17 minutes ago, KyleLafferty said:

It was the expectations for next year that got me, 3rd/4th highest budget and she just wants to be established. Lack of ambition at the club is staggering.

Honestly, I could accept it if there was clear statement about promoting youth. I.e our intention is rather than going out and signing 6/7 journeymen types, we're going to lean heavily on our academy to supplement the first team and our policy going forward will be to use the academy heavily. Therefore, establishing ourselves next season will be the aim alongside bringing through 4,5,6 young players to help us in the following seasons. 

My issue is that Neilson has not shown any evidence of being even remotely interested in meaningfully committing to playing young players. This is shown by him signing Moore out of the team, then when his pishy signings didn't work still refusing to even give Moore a half chance to prove him wrong, letting McDonald go, despite him being highly regarded. Loaning out Connor Smith & Cammy Logan, both of which could have helped push Michael Smith and our midfield for a place/ added enthusiasm & legs in some of the stuffier games this season. 

I want to see some sort of plan from the club. Promotion, establishment and getting to where we want to be, isn't a plan. Its a vague back of the fag packet comment that a fan could have came up with. I want to see some objectives about getting the youngsters from our academy of which we have plugged 7 figures into and developing a cohesive 'Hearts' way of playing which is demonstrated from youth all the way up to first team. 

We've been an absolute disgrace this season and the only saving grace is promotion because we haven't added a shred of value to ourselves this season otherwise. No youngsters have more game time under their belt, our only youngster who has been given a chance (albeit reluctantly by Neilson) is actively running his contract down and we're stuck with a hell of a lot of shite players who we will never be able to sell as they on. We're facing an absolutely giant rebuild AGAIN in the summer and no young players really to build this around. I'm hugely disappointed in this. 

I don't want to sound like some sort of moon howler, I'd like to hear thoughts from people who actively keep an eye on the academy like @Footballfirst on their thoughts on Neilsons use of young players and the general apparent lack of success in the academy of developing players who we can use at first team level since 2014. 

2 hours ago, Chaps said:

Thank god he didn’t a 3 year deal.

Yep i often wonder where the club would be if he had been given a 3 year deal and the chance of a pre season, Neilson is definitely the man to lead our charge on the Scottish Premiership. 

Surely it’s the new chief executive who should be sending out his support for Robbie oh and what’s his name again🙈

I'm still wanting to back Ann and Rob but it's getting harder by the week.I think it would be best for all involved if she cuts ties with the club,the same with Rob.

16 minutes ago, GinRummy said:

Strangely enough, I was querying yesterday who we should expect to hear from and was told that McKinlay is in charge of the non-football side of the business. 

Here's part of the announcement from the Club when he was appointed:

Andrew spent 16 years as a lawyer before moving into the sporting sector in 2012 when he joined the Scottish FA as Chief Operating Officer and then Interim Chief Executive before taking on the Chief Executive role at Scottish Golf in 2018.

He told the Official Hearts Website: ”I could not be more delighted to join Hearts. I thank Ann and the board for allowing me the opportunity to join and help guide Hearts back to where we belong.

“Despite the recent disappointments we have endured there is still much to be positive about, not least the unbelievable backing of our fans and the upcoming transfer of ownership to the Foundation of Hearts.

“I am looking forward to working with everyone at Tynecastle and Oriam to deliver success both on and off the pitch for many years to come.”

Just now, Maple Leaf said:

Here's part of the announcement from the Club when he was appointed:

Andrew spent 16 years as a lawyer before moving into the sporting sector in 2012 when he joined the Scottish FA as Chief Operating Officer and then Interim Chief Executive before taking on the Chief Executive role at Scottish Golf in 2018.

He told the Official Hearts Website: ”I could not be more delighted to join Hearts. I thank Ann and the board for allowing me the opportunity to join and help guide Hearts back to where we belong.

“Despite the recent disappointments we have endured there is still much to be positive about, not least the unbelievable backing of our fans and the upcoming transfer of ownership to the Foundation of Hearts.

“I am looking forward to working with everyone at Tynecastle and Oriam to deliver success both on and off the pitch for many years to come.”

Must’ve been misinformed yesterday. Thanks. 

Footballfirst
8 minutes ago, OTT said:

Honestly, I could accept it if there was clear statement about promoting youth. I.e our intention is rather than going out and signing 6/7 journeymen types, we're going to lean heavily on our academy to supplement the first team and our policy going forward will be to use the academy heavily. Therefore, establishing ourselves next season will be the aim alongside bringing through 4,5,6 young players to help us in the following seasons. 

My issue is that Neilson has not shown any evidence of being even remotely interested in meaningfully committing to playing young players. This is shown by him signing Moore out of the team, then when his pishy signings didn't work still refusing to even give Moore a half chance to prove him wrong, letting McDonald go, despite him being highly regarded. Loaning out Connor Smith & Cammy Logan, both of which could have helped push Michael Smith and our midfield for a place/ added enthusiasm & legs in some of the stuffier games this season. 

I want to see some sort of plan from the club. Promotion, establishment and getting to where we want to be, isn't a plan. Its a vague back of the fag packet comment that a fan could have came up with. I want to see some objectives about getting the youngsters from our academy of which we have plugged 7 figures into and developing a cohesive 'Hearts' way of playing which is demonstrated from youth all the way up to first team. 

We've been an absolute disgrace this season and the only saving grace is promotion because we haven't added a shred of value to ourselves this season otherwise. No youngsters have more game time under their belt, our only youngster who has been given a chance (albeit reluctantly by Neilson) is actively running his contract down and we're stuck with a hell of a lot of shite players who we will never be able to sell as they on. We're facing an absolutely giant rebuild AGAIN in the summer and no young players really to build this around. I'm hugely disappointed in this. 

I don't want to sound like some sort of moon howler, I'd like to hear thoughts from people who actively keep an eye on the academy like @Footballfirst on their thoughts on Neilsons use of young players and the general apparent lack of success in the academy of developing players who we can use at first team level since 2014. 

You are on the same hymn sheet as me when it comes to playing and developing youngsters.

We do have a problem with the academy coming down the line though. Barring the odd individual at each age group, there is a lack of players with a realistic chance of making it over the next two or three seasons. However, that's a personal view and is clearly not a current assessment, as I've not seen the kids play for a year.

Gordon Ramsay
7 minutes ago, pointon said:

Surely it’s the new chief executive who should be sending out his support for Robbie oh and what’s his name again🙈

Great point. Anyone know what desk this guy is hiding under? 

In a football sense she has proven completely incapable.

She, in my opinion, ignores the majority of the football fans with consistency.

Since FoH have effectively paid all sums due , and more, she is no longer the 'fat controller'!

Time to move on and get 'whoever' is to be in charge to take control. I say that as the CEO and Football Board are in charge of the day-to-day running..........but who directs them and sets out our future famous 5-year plans?

Budge has had a relatively easy ride for far too long. She has managed to keep her esteem on a high mainly due to her non football interventions such as our benefactors, playing on life after Romanov, creating a stable, but boring environment and  even attracting PC friendly sponsors like Save the Children. 

But for me it's wearing a bit thin now!....She is ultimately the common denominator that has resulted in Hearts decline to the point where we are actually playing in the lower divisions.  It's even disconcerting that she doesn't seem capable of matching the ambitions of most of the support. And I'm talking about realistic ambitions for the 3rd club in the country.

There's nothing wrong with expecting Europe every season. Nothing wrong with challenging for cups and league titles every year. but what do we hear today.....'Consolidate next year"......We need to consolidate simply because of the cluster**** she managed over and created since her tenure began.

The future doesn't fill me with much confidence with Budge at the helm....The next 3 years is certainly not going to be any rollercoaster ride that's for sure! 

The Budge & Neilson team.....A depressing thought! 

3 minutes ago, Hashimoto said:

Budge has had a relatively easy ride for far too long. She has managed to keep her esteem on a high mainly due to her non football interventions such as our benefactors, playing on life after Romanov, creating a stable, but boring environment and  even attracting PC friendly sponsors like Save the Children. 

But for me it's wearing a bit thin now!....She is ultimately the common denominator that has resulted in Hearts decline to the point where we are actually playing in the lower divisions.  It's even disconcerting that she doesn't seem capable of matching the ambitions of most of the support. And I'm talking about realistic ambitions for the 3rd club in the country.

There's nothing wrong with expecting Europe every season. Nothing wrong with challenging for cups and league titles every year. but what do we hear today.....'Consolidate next year"......We need to consolidate simply because of the cluster**** she managed over and created since her tenure began.

The future doesn't fill me with much confidence with Budge at the helm....The next 3 years is certainly not going to be any rollercoaster ride that's for sure! 

The Budge & Neilson team.....A depressing thought! 

Pretty much this.

Lord Beni of Gorgie
2 hours ago, jonesy said:

She must have to look at her decision making processes if she is having to defend yet another manager.

Probably right. 

Must be wondering why she invested time and money into this vipers nest of a fan base. 

33 minutes ago, OTT said:

Great post. Neilson has a track record, even first time round, of ditching youngsters, some of whom

haven’t had a proper chance. If I’m the CEO at Hearts and I’m looking at the money we put into developing youth for virtually zero return (2 exceptions apart) my instructions to the manager would be that there MUST be at least 3 youth/academy players in all matchday squads. Use it or lose it because it’s costing us a wad of cash and it’s barely producing AND Neilson is making it worse by what he is signing instead of playing youngsters.

Edited by JimmyCant

2 hours ago, lost in space said:

So if Neilson doesn't get us promoted, he can have 2 more goes?

If we do manage to go up and get relegated again - he gets another year?

How stupid.

I'd like to think she means 3 years minimum if he's meeting his targets. 

StevenNaismith

She’s like a primary school teacher. Come along now, everyone play nice, get along with each other and we will all have a lovely day.

I want the big bad Hearts back, the one that snarls and fights our corner and demands standards are kept high.