Budge Speaks

Sertse

3 minutes ago, ToqueJambo said:

Stendel did what Neilson is doing in 20 or so games. He tried all sorts of players in different positions. Clare also played CM and RM I think under Stendel. I vaguely remember he even started Clare somewhere crazy like LM against St Mirren. Probably the only position Levein never played him and Levein played him almost everywhere, the poor lad.

Levein just about ruined the lad.  Was tragic watching it. Stendel for all his faults got a tune out him. 

• Replies 792
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Bongo 1874

• GinRummy

• Bazzas right boot

• Gambo

14 minutes ago, ToqueJambo said:

Stendel did what Neilson is doing in 20 or so games. He tried all sorts of players in different positions. Clare also played CM and RM I think under Stendel. I vaguely remember he even started Clare somewhere crazy like LM against St Mirren. Probably the only position Levein never played him and Levein played him almost everywhere, the poor lad.

That's utter nonsense 😂.

Stendelnator
31 minutes ago, Bongo 1874 said:

I’ve actually enjoyed playing there because of the style the new gaffer [Stendel] wants to implement.

“He wants the full-backs really high so it was almost like a winger role for me rather than a traditional right-back.

“I was able to get the ball in deep positions and spend more time in position so that’s another positive. I’ve just been trying to learn as much as I can about the role – and I’m still learning.”

However, he has undoubtedly won over punters in Gorgie despite Hearts sitting rock-bottom of the Premiership – as shown when he was given a standing ovation earlier this season following a red card.

Clare was dismissed for a last man foul on Jon Gallagher during Hearts’ 1-1 draw against Aberdeen on December 29 and, instead of turning on the former Sheffield Wednesday man, he was given a raucous reception on his way up the tunnel.

He continued: “That was a strange feeling and I really appreciated it tenfold!

“It made me feel great – then I realised I was being red carded, which wasn’t so great.

“That support for my performance, and the backing the team got, was amazing. If you watch the video, you can see me waving and trying to acknowledge that backing from the fans.

“Even with 10 men I thought we responded and were on top on the game. We could have won it.”

Sean Clare 👍

You were laughing at him playing centre midfield. I pointed out he is currently playing there in arguably a better league than the one we’re in. 👍🏻.

2 minutes ago, Stendelnator said:

You were laughing at him playing centre midfield. I pointed out he is currently playing there in arguably a better league than the one we’re in. 👍🏻.

How's he doing compared to when Stendel had him at right back? 

Clare scored five goals in his 11 appearances prior to the enforced SPFL shut-down

Edited by Bongo 1874

Stendelnator
6 minutes ago, Bongo 1874 said:

Clare scored five goals in his 11 appearances prior to the enforced SPFL shut-down

Weren’t three of those penalties and one against Airdrie in a game where Euan Henderson also scored?

Just now, Stendelnator said:

Weren’t three of those penalties and one against Airdrie in a game where Euan Henderson also scored?

Quite possibly mate 👍 overall i would say he's a better right back than centre midfield player. 

I thought Moore and Henderson under Stendel, but for some reason Robbie doesn't. 

Pasquale for King
1 hour ago, soonbe110 said:

You are taking my post out of context. The discussion with another poster was based on a view that we should always finish in top 4/5 of top league. My point was based on the fact that budgets don’t determine individual games.  They do usually determine position over the long term but not individual games. If you don’t agree then you are suggesting we should never ever beat Rangers or Celtic again because of budget. 
Budget is playing out in our overall league position this season but not in every individual game eg three defeats. 

Fair enough but in the majority of Leagues the richer teams usually prosper. The criticism of RN is that we don’t play like a big team in this league, we show far too much respect to teams. As much as I hate the uglies they show no mercy to teams which is demanded by their fans, it’s what successful teams and sports people in general do. Look at those other horrible *******s Man Utd taking 9 off Southampton. We are better than these teams, they’re tinpot in comparison and have little money, we should show it far more often. Our soft and respectful attitude comes from the very top. If what happened to us last summer didn’t show Budge how it works then nothing ever will. 

3 minutes ago, Bongo 1874 said:

Quite possibly mate 👍 overall i would say he's a better right back than centre midfield player. 

I thought Moore and Henderson under Stendel, but for some reason Robbie doesn't. 

None of the players referenced in this post - Clare, Henderson and Moore are good enough for Hearts. 

Guest ToqueJambo
1 hour ago, Bongo 1874 said:

That's utter nonsense 😂.

It's really not. Stendel played Smith, Langer, Clare, Sibbick, Bozanic, Naismith, Irving and Damour in central mid and settled on Damour and Bozanic by the end. Just checked and he did start Clare at LM against St Mirren to accommodate Smith at RB. He had a bloated squad and was unlucky with injuries, as Levein was, but even after 20 games I never felt he had a clue what his best team was. I wish he'd been as decisive with several other players as he was with Berra and Whelan.

Edited by ToqueJambo

Guest ToqueJambo
54 minutes ago, Bongo 1874 said:

One of those goals was from CM against Hibs.

13 minutes ago, ToqueJambo said:

One of those goals was from CM against Hibs.

He was playing right midfield Bozanic was in the centre with Damour. 

Moore on the left that night I know why you think he was playing centre midfield though, cos I've just had a look and for some reason Google has him playing centre mid that game. 

But i can assure you he was playing on the right with Moore on the left against hibs in the 3-1 game 👍

19 minutes ago, ToqueJambo said:

It's really not. Stendel played Smith, Langer, Clare, Sibbick, Bozanic, Naismith, Irving and Damour in central mid and settled on Damour and Bozanic by the end. Just checked and he did start Clare at LM against St Mirren to accommodate Smith at RB. He had a bloated squad and was unlucky with injuries, as Levein was, but even after 20 games I never felt he had a clue what his best team was. I wish he'd been as decisive with several other players as he was with Berra and Whelan.

I reckon if sibbick had been fit and able to play he would've been his pick with rotation between Bozanic and Irving.

31 minutes ago, ToqueJambo said:

As for his best team, he only signed 4 players and was left with Levein's squad tbf. 

Guest ToqueJambo
20 minutes ago, Bongo 1874 said:

He was playing right midfield Bozanic was in the centre with Damour. 

Moore on the left that night I know why you think he was playing centre midfield though, cos I've just had a look and for some reason Google has him playing centre mid that game. 

But i can assure you he was playing on the right with Moore on the left against hibs in the 3-1 game 👍

Pretty sure it was a central 3 with Damour sitting

1 hour ago, ToqueJambo said:

Pretty sure it was a central 3 with Damour sitting

Nope definitely not on the odd occasion Clare came across to the left, but he was definitely playing on the right of midfield. 

Edited by Bongo 1874

8 hours ago, No Idle Talk said:

That's what I thought too. I thought perhaps Savage's role was a DoF or Head of Football Operations type of deal. But it seems that is not so. His role appears to be more akin to that of a chief scout who is also responsible for handling signing talks with targeted players.

Yep, more of a head scout is  how I see it as well. Seems a bit odd to give him that title but I suppose it’s not important. 

6 hours ago, Ari Gold said:

None of the players referenced in this post - Clare, Henderson and Moore are good enough for Hearts. 

Clare was a decent player for us. Started off absolutely shite then flourished under Stendel. I was a bit gutted to see him go but no doubt under RN he'd lose what he had.

7 hours ago, Bongo 1874 said:

Why do you have such a hardon for Stendel?

Nookie Bear
28 minutes ago, spacerjoe said:

I liked Stendel a lot but he needs to move on from this. It’s not like we let Pep go. 

31 minutes ago, spacerjoe said:

What's the point in posting when you're contributing absolutely nothing to the conversation?

Nookie Bear
9 minutes ago, Sertse said:

What's the point in posting when you're contributing absolutely nothing to the conversation?

That applies to most posts on here tbf

Including this one 👍🏻

7 hours ago, Pasquale for King said:

Fair enough but in the majority of Leagues the richer teams usually prosper. The criticism of RN is that we don’t play like a big team in this league, we show far too much respect to teams. As much as I hate the uglies they show no mercy to teams which is demanded by their fans, it’s what successful teams and sports people in general do. Look at those other horrible *******s Man Utd taking 9 off Southampton. We are better than these teams, they’re tinpot in comparison and have little money, we should show it far more often. Our soft and respectful attitude comes from the very top. If what happened to us last summer didn’t show Budge how it works then nothing ever will. 

👍

33 minutes ago, Nookie Bear said:

I liked Stendel a lot but he needs to move on from this. It’s not like we let Pep go. 

Me too.

Was actually a genuine question as I'm intrigued to know what it is about him that is worth mentioning at every opportunity.

I've probably talked about Burley less often.

8 hours ago, Pasquale for King said:

If fans don’t put demands on the club, who’s going to? A big section of our support has became accepting. It’s gone soft. 

Putting aside our dislike of the uglies for a minute, I’ve always said the same as you.  Their fans constantly want the best. Yes, they’ve got bigger finance etc...glory hunters galore (but that’s not my point or debate) but it doesn’t matter. It’s a point about attitude. 

Whether it was 1960, 1970, 1980 or the present day, they’ve always been the same. They never accepted their team being shite. We have those fans but they are tempered by as many who “just enjoy the day oot”.   

I like to think I grew up in an era where we were passionate 24/7 about how the team played. We were just off the back of the yo-yo years in the 70s, early 80s  but I stood next to older fans who’d been through the 50s and 60s and had the desire to see Hearts be better. Mercer knew very little about football but waded in and got his hands dirty, fingers burnt but learned quickly and found what the right path for Hearts was. 

Edited by Debut 4

MoncurMacdonaldMercer
11 hours ago, ToqueJambo said:

I said they were both dealt a tough hand for different reasons and if people thought Stendel deserved more time surely Neilson should, too, especially as - and you keep glossing over this fact - Neilson is doing his job. 

Just be honest, if we had a different manager who had done Neilson's job so far this season, everyone would be happy to give him time. The dislike for Neilson is something else considering he's by far the best manager we've had in the league since JJ's second spell.

neilson has regressed he did better in a more difficult championship last time - we all hoped he had got better with experience but the facts show he has regressed

the facts also show that giving more time is a bad thing to do - see Cathro and levein debacles

3 hours ago, Sertse said:

Clare was a decent player for us. Started off absolutely shite then flourished under Stendel. I was a bit gutted to see him go but no doubt under RN he'd lose what he had.

Personally I think decent is being generous.

Imo he went from being underwhelming to average under Stendel. I feel his performances were overrated through this period. 

A football player that doesn't have a position. 

Seems like a genuinley good guy though. 

Nookie Bear
2 hours ago, spacerjoe said:

Me too.

Was actually a genuine question as I'm intrigued to know what it is about him that is worth mentioning at every opportunity.

I've probably talked about Burley less often.

I agree 👍🏻

I am happy to argue all day but I draw the line at spending my weekend dissecting Sean Clare’s Hearts career. 

Edited by Nookie Bear

1 hour ago, Ari Gold said:

Personally I think decent is being generous.

Imo he went from being underwhelming to average under Stendel. I feel his performances were overrated through this period. 

A football player that doesn't have a position. 

Seems like a genuinley good guy though. 

I mean he could play competently as a winger and a wing back, great penalty taker, fast, good passing. Ginnelly looks better but he was one of the few good players we had last season.

Pasquale for King
4 hours ago, Debut 4 said:

If fans don’t put demands on the club, who’s going to? A big section of our support has became accepting. It’s gone soft. 

Putting aside our dislike of the uglies for a minute, I’ve always said the same as you.  Their fans constantly want the best. Yes, they’ve got bigger finance etc...glory hunters galore (but that’s not my point or debate) but it doesn’t matter. It’s a point about attitude. 

Whether it was 1960, 1970, 1980 or the present day, they’ve always been the same. They never accepted their team being shite. We have those fans but they are tempered by as many who “just enjoy the day oot”.   

I like to think I grew up in an era where we were passionate 24/7 about how the team played. We were just off the back of the yo-yo years in the 70s, early 80s  but I stood next to older fans who’d been through the 50s and 60s and had the desire to see Hearts be better. Mercer knew very little about football but waded in and got his hands dirty, fingers burnt but learned quickly and found what the right path for Hearts was. 

Spot on.
My dad took first took me aged 2 1/2 in the early 70s and I think because he and my grandad had seen us at our very best they demanded that from the team and passed it down. 
I do think we’ve always had a split in the fans that sees some demand more and those that are more pragmatic with reasonable expectations. 
Since we nearly went bust I think those standards have fallen alongside a culture in the club where there is no real consequences for not achieving the standards that we should. 
Before Covid I would get the chance to discuss the team days before a game and after with lots of different folk with varying ideas and levels of understanding. I would get that difference of opinion and it helped to see those views, I think we are all missing that just now and it’s easier to argue on here with folk on here as a substitute which leads to more entrenched views.

Not going to games also leads to this, i’m vocal at games at apologies to those who’s ears I’ve screamed in or unintentionally sprayed  molecules of moisture on, I think our view would be different if we were at a game we came from behind to win for instance. 
I’m going to try and recreate a normal match day today as much as possible and see if it makes any difference, open the windows and sit all wrapped up, also put a washing on to dampen the shouting 😆🤬

Pasquale for King
13 hours ago, NANOJAMBO said:

Yeah I know he's trolling and it's a shame nothing gets done about it because during the day when him and his sidekick aren't  posting their drivel it's a good place to be. Today being a case in point. Anyways, I put him on "ignore" now because life's too short. 

Ignore is definitely the way to go, uncanny how they both appear at the same time on any given thread. 

Nookie Bear
4 minutes ago, Pasquale for King said:

Spot on.
My dad took first took me aged 2 1/2 in the early 70s and I think because he and my grandad had seen us at our very best they demanded that from the team and passed it down. 
I do think we’ve always had a split in the fans that sees some demand more and those that are more pragmatic with reasonable expectations. 
Since we nearly went bust I think those standards have fallen alongside a culture in the club where there is no real consequences for not achieving the standards that we should. 
Before Covid I would get the chance to discuss the team days before a game and after with lots of different folk with varying ideas and levels of understanding. I would get that difference of opinion and it helped to see those views, I think we are all missing that just now and it’s easier to argue on here with folk on here as a substitute which leads to more entrenched views.

Not going to games also leads to this, i’m vocal at games at apologies to those who’s ears I’ve screamed in or unintentionally sprayed  molecules of moisture on, I think our view would be different if we were at a game we came from behind to win for instance. 
I’m going to try and recreate a normal match day today as much as possible and see if it makes any difference, open the windows and sit all wrapped up, also put a washing on to dampen the shouting 😆🤬

Spot on. 

Standards have slipped over the last few years and I think some people still have the “lucky to have a club” mentality. 

Nookie Bear
5 minutes ago, Pasquale for King said:

Ignore is definitely the way to go, uncanny how they both appear at the same time on any given thread. 

With identical views? Uncanny indeed 

Pasquale for King
13 hours ago, Bongo 1874 said:

I’ve actually enjoyed playing there because of the style the new gaffer [Stendel] wants to implement.

“He wants the full-backs really high so it was almost like a winger role for me rather than a traditional right-back.

“I was able to get the ball in deep positions and spend more time in position so that’s another positive. I’ve just been trying to learn as much as I can about the role – and I’m still learning.”

However, he has undoubtedly won over punters in Gorgie despite Hearts sitting rock-bottom of the Premiership – as shown when he was given a standing ovation earlier this season following a red card.

Clare was dismissed for a last man foul on Jon Gallagher during Hearts’ 1-1 draw against Aberdeen on December 29 and, instead of turning on the former Sheffield Wednesday man, he was given a raucous reception on his way up the tunnel.

He continued: “That was a strange feeling and I really appreciated it tenfold!

“It made me feel great – then I realised I was being red carded, which wasn’t so great.

“That support for my performance, and the backing the team got, was amazing. If you watch the video, you can see me waving and trying to acknowledge that backing from the fans.

“Even with 10 men I thought we responded and were on top on the game. We could have won it.”

Sean Clare 👍

It doesn’t get mentioned much but that was a great performance that day, Smith playing in midfield and dropping in to help the defence. We needed him there, and at CH and RB due to such poor recruitment. 
My niece was there that day and was a bit taken aback at my emotional state when Meshino scored, I had to explain how bad it had been and how few goals and energetic performances we had enjoyed in the last few years. 
A bit of naivety on our part, quick thinking and a great free kick on theirs stopped us from winning when we were still the better team even after going down to ten men. 

Pasquale for King
4 minutes ago, Nookie Bear said:

Spot on. 

Standards have slipped over the last few years and I think some people still have the “lucky to have a club” mentality. 

Absolutely.
I always believed that we would come through no matter what because of our fan base, so maybe didn’t worry as much as others. 

Pasquale for King
5 minutes ago, Nookie Bear said:

With identical views? Uncanny indeed 

Disagreeable chaps 😆

5 hours ago, Debut 4 said:

Spot on with this post.

• 2 weeks later...

If you'd have kept Daniel you'd have kept Toby I'm sure. Struber didn't want him. Since then we've got big Val who has given him the chance to shine and he really has. Daniel from day one said he was a class player and he certainly is. Getting a start virtually every game and his pace is immense.  

Happy Barnsley fan,  records in the second division getting broken all the time and I wouldn't bet against us getting to the Prem.

Glamorgan Jambo
1 hour ago, Redhelen said:

If you'd have kept Daniel you'd have kept Toby I'm sure. Struber didn't want him. Since then we've got big Val who has given him the chance to shine and he really has. Daniel from day one said he was a class player and he certainly is. Getting a start virtually every game and his pace is immense.  

Happy Barnsley fan,  records in the second division getting broken all the time and I wouldn't bet against us getting to the Prem.

Really pleased to see Sibbick doing so well. He basically had one game here that he did really well in before illness/injury. And it obviously didn’t work out for him at Ostend.

We recruited one midfield player for this season (presuming Toby is still playing midfield) and chose Andy Halliday. Not sure there was even the possibility of getting Sibbick on loan again but Neilson went for more of a known, but limited, talent. Despite the frothing I’m not sure he took the wrong decision.

PS before anyone starts I know we signed another midfielder in January.

Auld Reekin'
4 hours ago, Redhelen said:

Good luck.  :icon14:

Thank you. We're having a great season but it's just not the same watching on ifollow,  I want to be at Oakwell to support them!

Lone Striker
6 hours ago, Redhelen said:

Good luck for the rest of the season, Helen - glad to hear Barnsley are doing well, hope they get a playoff place.    Daniel seems to be bookies favourite for the Portsmouth job - not sure it's the right sort of club for him though.

They've had Jackett a while so may well be looking for a fresh start and new ideas. When we played them under Daniel we drew both games but they were challenging for promotion as well. Be interesting to see what decision he comes to,  he's too exciting a coach to be without work for long.