EWS1

IronJambo

Anyone else effected by this currently?

Our 5 year old building doesn't have this certificate yet, thus making making our place near enough impossible to sell. We're expecting remediation works to be needed but we've no idea to what extent/cost and who's going to pay for it so we have to sit tight for the time being. Our fixed rate mortgage is up in July and we'd normally be shifting to a new lender but it looks unlikely they we can do that. Might be looking at £260pm increase in our mortgage for the next couple of years with the added bonus of a bill up to around £50k for the works.

It has me pondering if the ten year home warranty would be sufficient to cover things if it comes to it and who I can try to sue if it doesn't.

Edited by IronJambo

18 minutes ago, IronJambo said:

Anyone else effected by this currently?

Our 5 year old building doesn't have this certificate yet, thus making making our place near enough impossible to sell. We're expecting remediation works to be needed but we've no idea to what extent/cost and who's going to pay for it so we have to sit tight for the time being. Our fixed rate mortgage is up in July and we'd normally be shifting to a new lender but it looks unlikely they we can do that. Might be looking at £260pm increase in our mortgage for the next couple of years with the added bonus of a bill up to around £50k for the works.

It has me pondering if the ten year home warranty would be sufficient to cover things if it comes to it and who I can try to sue if it doesn't.

Take it your 5 yr old building has external wall cladding , if so is it combustible ?

Kennedy Bakircioglu

My flat had the same issue when I tried to re-mortgage with HSBC. My brother's flat also had the same issue when trying to sell. He paid a guy £840 for the form, which was accepted by the buying solicitor and was able to sell his flat with no problems. I can give you the guys details if you are interested.

A friend of a friend who works as an independent mortgage broker has said flats all over Edinburgh are now failing their EWS1 form inspection with no clear guidance on the reasons why, which he is understandably, very worried about. 

55 minutes ago, felix said:

Take it your 5 yr old building has external wall cladding , if so is it combustible ?

The building is around 50% clad with fire treated Siberian Larch. We all know there's more to it than the exterior of the cladding though. 

The real answers we don't have though as an inspection hasn't been done yet and I'm having problems trying to find out if and when one is booked in. I'm told through the grapevine that remedial works are almost a given and would take around 18 months (from when I don't know). I'm not sure if lack of answers or that it's going to cost me at least £5k that's pissing me off more.

2 minutes ago, Kennedy Bakircioglu said:

My flat had the same issue when I tried to re-mortgage with HSBC. My brother's flat also had the same issue when trying to sell. He paid a guy £840 for the form, which was accepted by the buying solicitor and was able to sell his flat with no problems. I can give you the guys details if you are interested.

A friend of a friend who works as an independent mortgage broker has said flats all over Edinburgh are now failing their EWS1 form inspection with no clear guidance on the reasons why, which he is understandably, very worried about. 

Hahaha I love that. Yeah PM me.

My mortgage broker is very good but I still don't think he'll be able to find a proper way around this. I should be able to re-mortgage at 1.39% but I'm mostly likely going to have to suck up a rate of 3.09% at best or 4.09% at worst 

1 hour ago, IronJambo said:

The building is around 50% clad with fire treated Siberian Larch. We all know there's more to it than the exterior of the cladding though. 

The real answers we don't have though as an inspection hasn't been done yet and I'm having problems trying to find out if and when one is booked in. I'm told through the grapevine that remedial works are almost a given and would take around 18 months (from when I don't know). I'm not sure if lack of answers or that it's going to cost me at least £5k that's pissing me off more.

Sorry to hear about the potential cost.

Are you above 3 storeys ?  Low risk if not .

7 minutes ago, felix said:

Sorry to hear about the potential cost.

Are you above 3 storeys ?  Low risk if not .

We're 5 storeys, but under 18 metres thus being ignored by the government. Even for buildings 18m+ the government backing won't cover all the costs, only the removal of cladding.