Mention on The Chase

Maroon Sailor

Maroon Sailor

What Edinburgh based football team are known as the Jam Tarts ?

Pass

We seem to crop up more than Hibs on quiz programmes

• Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Maroon Sailor

• Wee Mikey

• John Findlay

• Rogue Daddy

132goals1958
5 minutes ago, Maroon Sailor said:

Pass

Pity none  of the three knew the answer. Deserved to fail.

been here before
6 minutes ago, Maroon Sailor said:

Thats the type of claim that pops up on .nugget and we laugh our bollocks off at them.

Maroon Sailor
Just now, been here before said:

Thats the type of claim that pops up on .nugget and we laugh our bollocks off at them.

I don't - I never go on there

Just an observation

been here before
35 minutes ago, Maroon Sailor said:

I don't - I never go on there

Just an observation

Never laughed at the 'first floodlights, teaching Brazil, first to wear green' pish?

53 minutes ago, Maroon Sailor said:

Pass

I seen it.   It was a better question than the tipping point one.   I wonder if they would have accepted heart of midlothian as an answer 🤔 

💃

Rogue Daddy

Englunnders  are so ignorant when it comes to answering questions on Scotland, on these tv shows! ... and I say this (quietly) with an English wife!... although she claims she was conceived in Scotland. 🤔

been here before
1 minute ago, Rogue Daddy said:

Englunnders  are so ignorant when it comes to answering questions on Scotland, on these tv shows! ... and I say this (quietly) with an English wife!... although she claims she was conceived in Scotland. 🤔

"Glasgow?".

Rogue Daddy
1 minute ago, been here before said:

"Glasgow?".

Yes! Scotland’s capital city! 😂

Fort Vallance
14 hours ago, HMFC01 said:

I seen it.   It was a better question than the tipping point one.   I wonder if they would have accepted heart of midlothian as an answer 🤔 

💃

Obviously Brad didn't know the answer. Clearly Heart of Midlothian would have been the correct answer.

Maroon Sailor
5 minutes ago, Fort Vallance said:

Obviously Brad didn't know the answer. Clearly Heart of Midlothian would have been the correct answer.

I was disappointed with that as well 😄

17 hours ago, Maroon Sailor said:

Pass

Madam and I saw it, and were disappointed but not surprised that the contestants passed. Then again, we wondered how many Scots contestants faced with the nickname of an English premiership club (who get far more media exposure), and without any real interest in football, would get them either.

Maroon Sailor
1 minute ago, JALBO said:

Madam and I saw it, and were disappointed but not surprised that the contestants passed. Then again, we wondered how many Scots contestants faced with the nickname of an English premiership club (who get far more media exposure), and without any real interest in football, would get them either.

It's more the fact they didn't know the Edinburgh clubs rather than the nicknames of the clubs

They had a 50/50 Hearts or Hibs

If they knew that then Jam Tarts is pretty obvious

15 minutes ago, Maroon Sailor said:

It's more the fact they didn't know the Edinburgh clubs rather than the nicknames of the clubs

Fair point.

17 hours ago, Rogue Daddy said:

If I was on Pointless (or Tenable) I would always pick the Scottish based question (be it sport, politics or geography) as 100 people know mostly about SE England.

John Findlay

I have said this before. When it comes to quiz shows on the telly. Scottish contestants know far more about English Geography, history etc, than English contestants know about Scottish Geography, history etc. They dont teach about Britain in English schools, they teach about England.

Rogue Daddy
11 minutes ago, Tasavallan said:

If I was on Pointless (or Tenable) I would always pick the Scottish based question (be it sport, politics or geography) as 100 people know mostly about SE England.

Golf as well.... for some reason (I'm talking Pointless here) nobody knows anything about golf!

Maroon Sailor
21 minutes ago, John Findlay said:

I have said this before. When it comes to quiz shows on the telly. Scottish contestants know far more about English Geography, history etc, than English contestants know about Scottish Geography, history etc. They dont teach about Britain in English schools, they teach about England.

They always seem to refer to any place in Scotland as Scotland

If a ship was going to Devonport it's going Devonport. If it was going to Rosyth it's going to Scotland

Hackney Hearts
38 minutes ago, Jamie Walker Tash said:

To be fair i don't know the nickname for Edinburgh City and we share a city with them.

The Citizens.

(I may have looked this up)

John Findlay
15 minutes ago, Maroon Sailor said:

They always seem to refer to any place in Scotland as Scotland

If a ship was going to Devonport it's going Devonport. If it was going to Rosyth it's going to Scotland

Correct. 

My two eldest were educated in the English school system. They were doing history on Shipbuilding in Britain. They covered Liverpool, Newcastle, and Sunderland. Glasgow the second city of the empire and more famous for ship building in the UK than anywhere else never got a mention. 

I mentioned this to their teachers and both looked at me as if I was something they had found on the bottom of their shoes. There is a four years difference between my two eldest and in four years they never saw fit to alter what they were teaching.

35 minutes ago, Hackney Hearts said:

The Citizens.

(I may have looked this up)

If someone asked what team goes by that nickname I would have said Manchester City.

Салатные палочки

There was a 5-1 question on it one night. Lassie got it right. 

1 hour ago, John Findlay said:

I know that when I was at school in Edinburgh in the 70's I was taught all about English, European and USA history (repeal of the Corn Laws, 1848 revolutions, the American Civil War etc etc) and I loved it, but absolutely nothing about Scottish history. When I lived in England I played in a quiz league and, to be fair, I found out that most of my fellow quizzers knew more about Scotland than I did. The only exception was Scottish football as they tended to know almost nothing. whereas I was well and truly in my element.

Francis Albert
1 hour ago, John Findlay said:

Correct. 

My two eldest were educated in the English school system. They were doing history on Shipbuilding in Britain. They covered Liverpool, Newcastle, and Sunderland. Glasgow the second city of the empire and more famous for ship building in the UK than anywhere else never got a mention. 

I mentioned this to their teachers and both looked at me as if I was something they had found on the bottom of their shoes. There is a four years difference between my two eldest and in four years they never saw fit to alter what they were teaching.

You could have put in a word for Belfast too.

In Dubrovnik's impressive maritime museum models of Clyde-built ships outnumber those of all the English shipbuilding centres put together.

Edited by Francis Albert

10 hours ago, Maroon Sailor said:

If a city's name is not in the team name, it's not really a 50/50. Knowing the teams and knowing where they play are two different things.

Horatio Caine
10 hours ago, John Findlay said:

Indeed.  Whenever there's a question that starts "What Scottish city..." they answer `Glasgow` as it's the only one they can think of.

Maroon Sailor
57 minutes ago, stan said:

If a city's name is not in the team name, it's not really a 50/50. Knowing the teams and knowing where they play are two different things

It was a lack of Scottish football knowledge with these particular contestants.

If you are a football fan you will know Hearts and Hibs are Edinburgh clubs

Geoff Kilpatrick
10 hours ago, John Findlay said:

Correct. 

I think Belfast will disagree with that.

19 hours ago, Salad Fingers said:

There was a 5-1 question on it one night. Lassie got it right. 

It was a bloke, I'm sure I recorded it at the time.

Edit: See if this works.

Edited by graygo

John Findlay
10 hours ago, Geoff Kilpatrick said:

I think Belfast will disagree with that.

Belfast can disagree all it wants😉

• 6 months later...
1 minute ago, Maroon Sailor said:

Edinburgh football team Heart of Midlothian are commonly known as what ?

Guy got it right

I didn’t! I said Jam Tarts 🤣

Heard Heart of Midlothian mentioned twice on University Challenge. One was the name of Walter Scott novel, and the other was a mosiac where the old tollbooth was 

Sir Walter Scott novels were the theme of the finsl board on Impossible during the week. Ivanhoe & Waverley being the others required.

Edit:

Also on new QoS on Friday. Identify on a map where you would find Tyncastle and ER.

First QoS that I have seen in donkeys and wont be in a hurry to watch again.

Edited by Tommy Brown

Maroon Sailor
46 minutes ago, Tommy Brown said:

Sir Walter Scott novels were the theme of the finsl board on Impossible during the week. Ivanhoe & Waverley being the others required.

Edit:

Also on new QoS on Friday. Identify on a map where you would find Tyncastle and ER.

First QoS that I have seen in donkeys and wont be in a hurry to watch again.

Haven't watched it for years myself and judging by the trailers for the new series probably won't bother this time round either. Looked more like a game show than a quiz

part_time_jambo
On 03/03/2021 at 12:33, Section N Rules said:

To be fair i don't know the nickname for Edinburgh City and we share a city with them.

I think it rhymes with City.

2 hours ago, Ominous said:

Heard Heart of Midlothian mentioned twice on University Challenge. One was the name of Walter Scott novel, and the other was a mosiac where the old tollbooth was 

Clearly the real question is what was the name of the dance hall that Edinburgh's big team took it's name from

47 minutes ago, Jamstomorrow said:

Question on A Question of Sport a couple of nights ago:  Who plays at Tynecastle Park and Easter Road?  They did not know.  

I saw that.   They didn’t know. 

That aside, it was absolutely dreadful.   

On 03/03/2021 at 12:34, John Findlay said:

I drove a cab in Crawley for nearly 20 years. American customers know about a certain R.Burns, as do Russians. However ask an English educated person about our Rabbie and they stare blankly!

Maroon Sailor

Don't think many English have heard of the Heart of Midlothian

Hearts maybe - even that is met with - yeah I think I've heard of them.

Nearly all English clubs are named after the town or City they play in whereas quite a few Scottish clubs are not.

Doctor FinnBarr
23 minutes ago, CrawleyJambo said:

I drove a cab in Crawley for nearly 20 years. American customers know about a certain R.Burns, as do Russians. However ask an English educated person about our Rabbie and they stare blankly!

Is there many American and Russian tourists that visit Crawley?

On 03/03/2021 at 12:34, John Findlay said:

That may very well be generally true; but I saw a Scottish bloke on 'Impossible' answer 'Bathgate' to the Q: "Which Kent town is home to the Turner Contemporary Art Gallery: Bathgate, Margate, or Ramsgate?"

I kid you not ... 😄

Doctor FinnBarr
16 minutes ago, Wee Mikey said:

That may very well be generally true; but I saw a Scottish bloke on 'Impossible' answer 'Bathgate' to the Q: "Which Kent town is home to the Turner Contemporary Art Gallery: Bathgate, Margate, or Ramsgate?"

I kid you not ... 😄

I wouldn't know the answer either but i could certainly rule out Bathgate.

27 minutes ago, FinnBarr Saunders said:

I wouldn't know the answer either but i could certainly rule out Bathgate.

Quite!

Anyhoo, Margate is renowned for its connections to both Turner, Emin, and (in nearby Ramsgate) Van Gogh.

https://www.theguardian.com/travel/2011/apr/14/margate-art-kent-turner-contemporary

However, as far as I'm concerned, Chas & Dave do it for me. @wattie exploitedhas WAY better tales to tell about Margate, but this is a classic of its ilk:-

On 02/03/2021 at 17:53, Maroon Sailor said:

Pass

Come to think of it, I remember that. The contestant didn't pass; they answered, "Hibernian".

When the quizmaster retorted, "The answer is Hearts", the contestant apologised thus:-

"Sorry, I thought you said, "What Edinburgh based football team are known as The Bum Farts, The Scuttling Rats, The Mangey Cats, The Sister-Fisting Warts, The Blood-Sucking Gnats, The Famous for Doing Everything First Deluded Twats ... my mistake."