Solicitor

Jambomuzz

Recently been helping deal with my grandmothers sale of house. For whatever reason when my grandfather passed his estate wasn’t formally wound up and the title deeds wernt passed to my grandmother, as per his will. 
Anyway, upon contacting the solicitor they informed us that the wills they processed in 1992 were destroyed and they no longer have them. (My grandmother has copies of both, even receipts) as far as I’m aware these can’t really be used to wind up estates etc, but that’s not really my question here. 
Is it common practice for solicitors to destroy wills? My grandmother now needs to go and pay to get a new will and we’ve been severely let down to this delay now winding up my grandfathers estate as the house cannot be sold untill the title deeds are fully transferred to her name.

10 minutes ago, Jambomuzz said:

Recently been helping deal with my grandmothers sale of house. For whatever reason when my grandfather passed his estate wasn’t formally wound up and the title deeds wernt passed to my grandmother, as per his will. 
Anyway, upon contacting the solicitor they informed us that the wills they processed in 1992 were destroyed and they no longer have them. (My grandmother has copies of both, even receipts) as far as I’m aware these can’t really be used to wind up estates etc, but that’s not really my question here. 
Is it common practice for solicitors to destroy wills? My grandmother now needs to go and pay to get a new will and we’ve been severely let down to this delay now winding up my grandfathers estate as the house cannot be sold until the title deeds are fully transferred to her name.

Different country different time but I have just gone through this whole process, we have multiple  certified copies of our Wills and our lawyer has the original and our Provincial Government also maintain a copy. I had to produce  my wifes Will and death certificate to make the numerous change of titles such as house, and vehicle. As I say the lawyer still has the original,  I would  imagine on completion of all aspects of the Will it would be proper to destroy them, to do so in advance of this would be improper.

mrmarkus1981

It's very common for the title to any property be recorded 'equally and survivor'. If this is the case for your grandparents, I don't think it's a difficult thing to change the title. I can find out of the title was recorded in this way of you want to PMme? 

Edited by mrmarkus1981