Hearts Last League Cup Win - 1962

robroy1874

Astonishing to think we last won the League Cup in 1962!

As a young lad i was at that game in October 1962.  Poured all day. Norroe Davidson scored the winning goal vs Kilmarnock  in first half.

Who would have thought that nearly 60 years later we haven't won it since!

gowestjambo

Only one of the two realistic trophies available to us. Yet we hear it derided as a Diddy Cup, I wouldn't mind if we won it every year.....

Hearts have had a miserable record in it in my time. 2 final defeats and around a dozen semi's lost. Only the '96/97 and '12/13 semi finals brought any joy.

All Hearts fans, from kids up to around the age of 65, have a similar tale of woe.

Agree with @gowestjamboabove. I'd love to see Hearts win it. 

Edited by martoon

AC Mallin_51

I think the 12/13 final and 13/14 semi final sum up the league cup for us. We can’t say we’ve not had chances

davemclaren
31 minutes ago, gowestjambo said:

Only one of the two realistic trophies available to us. Yet we hear it derided as a Diddy Cup, I wouldn't mind if we won it every year.....

I would start with winning it once then take it from there.  We have won it in my lifetime but I was too young to have any memory of it. 

1 hour ago, Cruyff said:

It's actually embarrassing that we've not won the competition in 60 years. 

I was going to post that. Yes it doesn't get you anything these days but its the principle.

Edited by Marvin

SectionDJambo

I remember watching the grainy black and white tv pictures of John Cumming lifting the League Cup in 1962. Grandad piped up with the comment, “is that them won that again?”

Must have been great days.

I reckon that there’s some kind of curse on us winning it because of Frank Beattie having a fair equaliser chalked off. No gypsies in Kilmarnock casting a spell?

J.T.F.Robertson
3 hours ago, robroy1874 said:

As a young lad i was at that game in October 1962.  Poured all day. Norroe Davidson scored the winning goal vs Kilmarnock  in first half.

Me too.

As I've said before, still dryin oot.

been here before

Ive said on here a few times that I really couldnt give a flying about the League Cup, it doesnt bother me in the slightest.

I know all the arguments for it, one of 2 realistic throphies and all that but Im just not fussed about it. Sure it would be nice to win it, see it getting lifted but thats it. It wouldnt be worth a parade.

Its nothing to do with the big team, big cup tomfoolery but maybe more that its been ****ed about with so much over the years. It doesnt even have a European place anymore. Its been played in numerous different formats over the years, a succession of different names, played at different times of the year. Its been ridiculously devalued, no-one really knows what to do with it.

The wee early season jaunts up to places like Elgin or Cove are good for a wee novelty but the cup itself isnt really of interest.

Edited by been here before

willie wallace

I was also at the game 8yrs old and can still remember our goal and Killie's late disallowed goal..

Never realised that would be it for nearly 40 yrs😥

Tokyo Drifter
3 hours ago, Cruyff said:

It's actually embarrassing that we've not won the competition in 60 years. 

Criminal that we never won it against St Mirren in 2013. If ever there was a chance to get that hoodoo off our back ...

Lord Beni of Gorgie

It's a curiosity.

Would like to see us win it, but rarely,  especially since 1998, have I been gutted when knocked out. 

96 final was an exceptional game of football, 2013 final despite such a limited side really was thrown away, but another exciting game. 

Plenty of awful semifinals along the way too.

However worst moments for me a twice aborted trip for a QF at Kilmarnock, travelling from Aberdeen got all the way there for the original tie, turned back at Dundee for the 2nd postponement. 

Didn't go to the game when it did get played, which was just as well  :lol:

No Idle Talk

It is really poor for a club of the stature of Hearts to not have won this competition in 59 years. If Hibernian hadn't gone 114 years without winning the Scottish Cup it would be the most embarrassing trophy drought any of Scotland's leading clubs has endured. It is something that needs putting right.

Next season will do me. 😁

Edited by No Idle Talk

If it hadn’t been for Gazza we would have won it in 96 and if it hadn’t been for Sutton and Ngoo we would have won it in 2013!

Hectormasson
3 hours ago, gowestjambo said:

Very true....

Francis Albert

9y old and "too wee" according to my dad so had to wait 36 years to see a trophy win.

Some reports of the homecoming for the 1954 diddy cup winners suggest it  rivalled that of the big cup winners in 1956. 

For someone who used to enjoy watching East of Scotland Shield wins against Hibs I certainly regret never having seen us win he League Cup.

Edited by Francis Albert

davemclaren
4 minutes ago, Francis Albert said:

9y old and "too wee" according to my dad so had to wait 36 years to see a trophy win.

Some reports of the homecoming for the 1954 diddy cup winners suggest it  rivalled that of the big cup winners in 1956. 

For someone who used to enjoy watching East of Scotland Shield wins against Hibs I certainly regret never having seen us win he League Cup.

I was 5 and can’t even remember it happening. My dad would have been there but maybe he had become blasé’ about Hearts winning trophies by that point. 🤷🏼‍♂️

It’s hysterical that Hibs fans use it as a stick to beat us with now

Even though they won the Scottish they’re still wary about raising that because of the boabying we gave them in 2012. 

We need to win it

1 hour ago, Tokyo Drifter said:

Criminal that we never won it against St Mirren in 2013. If ever there was a chance to get that hoodoo off our back ...

I’m in this camp. I think about that final quite often and it still pisses me off.

The League Cup counts because it’s a major trophy and goes on record. I’d hate for Hibs or any other diddy mob to get more wins on the board than us. 

William H. Bonney

I think, and I could be wrong, that I’ve been to 11 league cup semi finals since 1988. 
That’s an incredible amount with nothing to show for it. 

15 minutes ago, Jamhammer said:

It’s hysterical that Hibs fans use it as a stick to beat us with now

Even though they won the Scottish they’re still wary about raising that because of the boabying we gave them in 2012. 

We need to win it

They use it as a stick to beat us with but we’ve still won it more than them?🤷🏼‍♂️

Hobologic right there.   👀. FTH

It really hurts that I’ve never seen Hearts win the League Cup! 

Since I was a teenager I’ve never missed a Cup Final (2020 SC exception for obvious reason) the winning dream came true in 1998!

The problem with the League Cup is that we just don’t get to the final often enough, two finals in so many years really is an underachievement for Hearts!

There’s always next season ♥️♥️♥️♥️

1 hour ago, Tokyo Drifter said:

Topped it(in some ways) losing to 9 man Caley in the Semi’s on pens the season after. 

1-0 down, then 2-1 up, they’re down to 9 and backs against the wall. Then Stevo toils to waste time and loses ball, the rest is history. 

Couldn’t believe it :vrface:     

Aberdeen in the Final. Although they were 3rd they weren’t a great side. And with our record over them, we’d have fancied it. 

colinmaroon
4 hours ago, davemclaren said:

I would start with winning it once then take it from there.  We have won it in my lifetime but I was too young to have any memory of it. 

Ruined my James Bond Shorty white raincoat with a maroon rosette.

Was my 3rd successful final in a row.

5 hours ago, robroy1874 said:

My first cup final. My dad took me through and as you say it was chucking it down. The ref was Tiny Wharton and when Killie scored near the end but was disallowed rumour was he and his linesman did not fancy another 30 minutes in the rain.

I took my daughter to the 1998 cup final. Next win but this time the Big Cup her first, god knows how many I have attended without a win.

Strange how history repeats itself.

2 hours ago, Francis Albert said:

Same here   my dad took my brother and cousin

maroonsgotop
2 hours ago, Francis Albert said:

Same here. Listened to it on the radio where the pundits said it was a 50/50 game but they made Killie slight favourites. Can still remember Killie's equaliser and the joy when it was disallowed. In my child's head I thought i would be going to see a celebration like '56 but was told it was raining and there wouldn't be one. Still no idea if one took place. 

Was there a time where the winners got a European spot? Its kinda lost its appeal without it.

7 hours ago, AC Mallin_51 said:

I think the 12/13 final and 13/14 semi final sum up the league cup for us. We can’t say we’ve not had chances

13/14 was a joke, talk about hibsing it 

Francis Albert
1 hour ago, rubyruby said:

Was there a time where the winners got a European spot? Its kinda lost its appeal without it.

I have really never understood why winning a trophy was made important only because it qualified you for competing for  a trophy you had no chance of winning. Or actually even it if gave you a chance of winning another trophy. Especially for a club like Hearts for which every trophy is something to be treasured.

16 minutes ago, Francis Albert said:

I have really never understood why winning a trophy was made important only because it qualified you for competing for  a trophy you had no chance of winning. Or actually even it if gave you a chance of winning another trophy. Especially for a club like Hearts for which every trophy is something to be treasured.

Spot on. 

davemclaren
23 minutes ago, Francis Albert said:

Can’t disagree with that. 

13 hours ago, gowestjambo said:

I'd run through a brick wall to see Hearts win the Scottish League Cup.

8 hours ago, Rizla said:

I’m in this camp. I think about that final quite often and it still pisses me off.

I'm with you and the other fans who were severely pissed off at full time. There was a few fists flung behind me as the happy clappers showed their appreciation for their team getting beat by St.Midden, tempers were raised as some folk, like myself cannot accept defeat as well as others.

Still look back with anger and despair. 

5 hours ago, Francis Albert said:

Correct, couldn't give a toss about a European spot, winning the actual trophy should be the main aim not the aftermath.

3 hours ago, dannymack said:

Still look back with anger and despair. 

Thing is it was the last final I was at with my old man before he passed away.😤

Bazzas right boot

From memory... 

2-4 v first division St Johnstone at home when 2- up at ht. 

0-1 v first division Falkirk at home, sure ex hibs May scored in the 90th minute. 

4-4 iirc v 1st division Dundee, penalty shoot out, Smith saved a pk, got up to next the next one, he missed, they scored we missed again - out. 

1-0 v 3rd teir Peterhead, then for them to finish above us in the league. 

Un registered players. 

The ict losing the lead shambles. 

2-3 in a final v St St Mirren, we even managed to score first. 

Pretty sure I remember St Johnstone and Motherwell skelping us in semi finals as well at ER. 

Alloa this year. 

It's a complete shit show, a horror story. 

David Black
19 hours ago, davemclaren said:

Still the got the 4th most wins though, amazingly. 

For the decade between the early 50's to the early 60's going to the League Cup Final was almost an annual event. 

AC Mallin_51
19 hours ago, bigcoll said:

13/14 was a joke, talk about hibsing it 

Still gives me nightmares thinking about it, to think we would’ve played Aberdeen in the final, a team who didn’t beat us once that season 

Edited by AC Mallin_51

iwasthere1954
On 02/03/2021 at 15:05, martoon said:

Hearts have had a miserable record in it in my time. 2 final defeats and around a dozen semi's lost. Only the '96/97 and '12/13 semi finals brought any joy.

All Hearts fans, from kids up to around the age of 65, have a similar tale of woe.

Agree with @gowestjamboabove. I'd love to see Hearts win it. 

I was lucky enough to be at all four winning finals. My user name is a give away.

56 minutes ago, iwasthere1954 said:

I was lucky enough to be at all four winning finals. My user name is a give away.

👍

My granddad always spoke fondly of the 1954/55 final. The first trophy Hearts won in his lifetime. He was 46 by then.

He had quite a few letters printed in the EEN in the late '70's criticising the running of the club. Angered him greatly the state we were in.

He died halfway through the horrific 1980/81 season. 

Still, he did, unwittingly, see the future legend, John Robertson, in that famous 1980 schoolboy International at Wembley. 

We watched it together on TV.

Lovely memory of a great Hearts man.

He was at the Hearts 8 Hibs 3 game in 1935.

Edited by martoon