Ian St John

The Goalscoring Knee

5 hours ago, neilnunb said:

😥

The Chart Show followed by Saint and Grievsie were Saturdays.

👍

gashauskis9
5 hours ago, Geoff Kilpatrick said:

Sad news. Saint & Greavsie is part of everyone's football heritage. RIP.

Spot on.  Feel like a big part of my footballing childhood has died.  We should think ourselves lucky. We got Saint n Greavsie, the youth of today have that shitshow Soccer AM😔.

gashauskis9
5 hours ago, neilnunb said:

😥

The Chart Show followed by Saint and Grievsie were Saturdays.

Aw man, nostalgia!  Followed by Big Daddy beating up Haystacks.  

Diadora Van Basten

I had a Saint and Greavsie annual aand his stories “The Saint remembers Shankley” were absolutely brilliant.

I also was at the Ian St John soccer camp and he joined in the kick about game at the end. He was ridiculously competitive and berated his teams 14 year old Goalie for not being strong enough. After the game he had to apologise to the keeper and gave him a pair of the cheap goalkeeper gloves with the rubber pads that were far too small.

Francis Albert

I remember him as a great player for Liverpool in the sixties but can't remember seeing him play. Youngsters today wouldn't believe how little football was on telly back then. 

Like so many of a certain age, "Saint and Greavsie" was how I remember him best. And I did see him in the flesh once - in a hotel pool in Orlando. He was trying to enjoy it, I assume with his children, but got the attention of two or three teenage boys who pestered him with "Where's Greavsie?" chat. He took it well at first but after ten minutes or so he understandably got a bit fed up and very politely asked them to give him a break. They didn't and he had to leave the pool. The downside of celebrity, particularly in an age when footballers of his class did not become millionaires and could not afford to isolate themselves from the public as the stars of his scale can do today.

RIP Saint.

Edited by Francis Albert

willie wallace

Just heard a wee story on the radio about the time they presented their show from New York.

They were conducting the English League cup draw along with Donald Trump who drew Man Utd.to play Leeds and St.John warned him he would be in big trouble.

Sad news indeed. My Dad came through earlier on and let me know that St John had died, telling me that he had seen him in his trial match for Motherwell back in the day (my Dad was a big Motherwell supporter and still follows the results). He was animated as he told me about his playing for the Steelmen, far more animated than usual as he has dementia and gets confused a lot. It was lovely to see him like that. Our love of football and of its wizards, of which St John was undoubtedly one, endures with time.

19 minutes ago, Paddy Crossan said:

How come he only played 21 times for Scotland?

Same as why Dave Mackay was only capped 22 times.

The committee that picked the team at the time tried their best not to restrict the number of Anglo players.

12 hours ago, Maroon Sailor said:

Thanks for that - fine choice of music too. I actually shed a tear watching it - his frustration reminded me what it means to be a Scot. The highs, the lows and the lows again. Lump in my throat. 

Maroon Sailor
1 minute ago, Deodato said:

Thanks for that - fine choice of music too. I actually shed a tear watching it - his frustration reminded me what it means to be a Scot. The highs, the lows and the lows again. Lump in my throat. 

That Nicol chance still haunts me thinking about it

Met him on a Med cruise a few years ago - absolutely lovely man. RIP

2 hours ago, Paddy Crossan said:

There was much fewer international games back then.

6 hours ago, jamboozy said:

The Mrs and I met him on a cruise a few years back, a true gentleman, RIP Saint.

Was it a Med cruise on the Arcadia by any chance?

Francis Albert
2 hours ago, DETTY29 said:

Same as why Dave Mackay was only capped 22 times.

The committee that picked the team at the time tried their best not to restrict the number of Anglo players.

Do you mean tried to restrict the number of Anglo players?

As well as restrict the number of non OF players?

4 hours ago, redjambo said:

Sad news indeed. My Dad came through earlier on and let me know that St John had died, telling me that he had seen him in his trial match for Motherwell back in the day (my Dad was a big Motherwell supporter and still follows the results). He was animated as he told me about his playing for the Steelmen, far more animated than usual as he has dementia and gets confused a lot. It was lovely to see him like that. Our love of football and of its wizards, of which St John was undoubtedly one, endures with time.

Lovely that your dad has those memories that can animate him and bring him back to you. 

Anyone remember the S&G edition when Greavesie, having seen highlights of Henry's outstanding performance at Parkhead in late 1983, refused to believe he was Scottish?

So good a goalie he couldn't possibly be a Jock? 

Henry, on the pitch, showed his birth certificate to the camera then said his teammates had a message for him.

Cue the lads, lined up with their backs to the camera, turning around and giving Greaves the one arm under the other GIRUY.

If no one remembers it, I may have dreamt it, and that's concerning. 😊

6 hours ago, martoon said:

Anyone remember the S&G edition when Greavesie, having seen highlights of Henry's outstanding performance at Parkhead in late 1983, refused to believe he was Scottish?

Henry, on the pitch, showed his birth certificate to the camera then said his teammates had a message for him.

Cue the lads, lined up with their backs to the camera, turning around and giving Greaves the one arm under the other GIRUY.

There was definitely an episode where Greavsie refused to believe Henry was Scottish because a) he was good and b) his surname was Smith.

Can't remember the GIRUY bit but the Henry Smith thing definitely happened (me and my mates were talking about it yesterday).

8 hours ago, Francis Albert said:

Do you mean tried to restrict the number of Anglo players?

As well as restrict the number of non OF players?

Tried to yes, sorry.

Not, not tried too.

2 sentence options going through my head at same time and didn't construct it properly.

8 hours ago, Thomaso said:

Was it a Med cruise on the Arcadia by any chance?

A Med cruise right enough Tam, but it was Brilliance of the seas.

1 hour ago, Costanza said:

There was definitely an episode where Greavsie refused to believe Henry was Scottish because a) he was good and b) his surname was Smith.

Can't remember the GIRUY bit but the Henry Smith thing definitely happened (me and my mates were talking about it yesterday).

👍

The Old Tolbooth

Sad loss to football, The Saint was an absolute legend on and off the field, rest in peace Ian St John. 

John Findlay
13 hours ago, Paddy Crossan said:

There was a bias against the players that moved south at the time.

OF players still had to come first.

John Findlay
3 hours ago, Costanza said:

There was. I believe Henry produced his birth certificate as proof.

Scorer of the fastest ever hat-trick at Easter Road, in under 3 minutes.

People who knew him thought the world of him. That's the best tribute you can get. RIP.

A Shoreditch Heart
2 hours ago, John Findlay said:

There was. I believe Henry produced his birth certificate as proof.

yeah definitely - I remember that too

8 hours ago, jamboozy said:

A Med cruise right enough Tam, but it was Brilliance of the seas.

Cheers 👍

18 hours ago, Maroon Sailor said:

That Nicol chance still haunts me thinking about it

Three years later he failed to clear the ball from the path of Michael Thomas. 

(And everyone here in Norff London remain grateful)

Seymour M Hersh

Scouser is touring America on holiday and stops in a remote bar in the hills of Nevada. He's chatting to the barman when he spies an old Native American sitting in a corner.
"Who's he?" asks the Scouser.
"That's the Memory Man," says the barman. 
"He knows everything. He can remember any fact. Go and try him out." 
So the Scouser wanders over and asks: "Who won the 1965 FA Cup Final?" 
"Liverpool," replies the Memory Man. 
The tourist is amazed. 
"Who did they beat?" 
"Leeds," comes the reply. 
"And the score?" 
"2-1." 
Scouser tries something more specific. 
"Who scored the winning goal?" 
Native American does not even blink: 
"Ian St John." 
The Liverpudlian returns home and regales his relatives and friends with his tale, and he's determined to return and pay his respects to this amazing man. 
Ten years later he has saved enough money and returns to America. After weeks of searching through the towns of Nevada, Scouser finds the Memory Man in a cave in the mountains. 
The Scouser steps forward, bows and greets the Native American in what he imagines from old films to be his traditional native tongue: 
"How." 
The Memory Man squints at him and says: 
"Diving header in the six-yard box."

RIP Saint, legend.

John Findlay
55 minutes ago, Seymour M Hersh said:

Scouser is touring America on holiday and stops in a remote bar in the hills of Nevada. He's chatting to the barman when he spies an old Native American sitting in a corner.
"Who's he?" asks the Scouser.
"That's the Memory Man," says the barman. 
"He knows everything. He can remember any fact. Go and try him out." 
So the Scouser wanders over and asks: "Who won the 1965 FA Cup Final?" 
"Liverpool," replies the Memory Man. 
The tourist is amazed. 
"Who did they beat?" 
"Leeds," comes the reply. 
"And the score?" 
"2-1." 
Scouser tries something more specific. 
"Who scored the winning goal?" 
Native American does not even blink: 
"Ian St John." 
The Liverpudlian returns home and regales his relatives and friends with his tale, and he's determined to return and pay his respects to this amazing man. 
Ten years later he has saved enough money and returns to America. After weeks of searching through the towns of Nevada, Scouser finds the Memory Man in a cave in the mountains. 
The Scouser steps forward, bows and greets the Native American in what he imagines from old films to be his traditional native tongue: 
"How." 
The Memory Man squints at him and says: 
"Diving header in the six-yard box."

RIP Saint, legend.

🤣👍

niblick1874
On 02/03/2021 at 19:16, martoon said:

I also remember him saying that he thought the Hearts strip was the bees knees, or words to that effect. Ian St John had a real good laugh about it all. I think it was the 85 86 season.

On 03/03/2021 at 11:47, 4marsbars said:

Scorer of the fastest ever hat-trick at Easter Road, in under 3 minutes.

People who knew him thought the world of him. That's the best tribute you can get. RIP.

I can't remember his name but the hibs keeper was my dads cousin. My old man told me about it when I was in my teens and he noticed what I feel for the hibs as he knew inwould enjoy the story.

I asked my old man, but how was your cousin feeling after the game? My old man then said "like most of our family, he's a good hearts man. He had a laugh about it when I was speaking to him the next day".

25 minutes ago, niblick1874 said:

I also remember him saying that he thought the Hearts strip was the bees knees, or words to that effect. Ian St John had a real good laugh about it all. I think it was the 85 86 season.

I liked Greavsie. He enjoyed the Scottish/English banter and laughing at "Jock" goalies but it was all very good natured.

Just watched a clip from their show after Aberdeen's CWC win and Jimmy was very complimentary about them.

"Why did Jocks not answer their telephones in 1978...because they kept going Peru, Peru...Peru, Peru".

Edited by martoon

29 minutes ago, superjack said:

I can't remember his name but the hibs keeper was my dads cousin. My old man told me about it when I was in my teens and he noticed what I feel for the hibs as he knew inwould enjoy the story.

I asked my old man, but how was your cousin feeling after the game? My old man then said "like most of our family, he's a good hearts man. He had a laugh about it when I was speaking to him the next day".

😃

Ally Alexander
2 hours ago, 4marsbars said:

😃

Was it Willie Wilson?  Heard that he would up his team-mates asking how the boys i.e., Hearts got on immediately after each game.

Guess The Crowd
7 hours ago, martoon said:

I liked Greavsie. He enjoyed the Scottish/English banter and laughing at "Jock" goalies but it was all very good natured.

Just watched a clip from their show after Aberdeen's CWC win and Jimmy was very complimentary about them.

"Why did Jocks not answer their telephones in 1978...because they kept going Peru, Peru...Peru, Peru".

Just been watching the BT Sport documentary Greavsie. Brilliant, would recommend to anyone. 

heartgarfunkel

Met him in Hawick a few years back, he was staying with a mate before doing an after dinner speech. A genuinely lovely man, was very complimentary about Hearts as a club, and talked about Skacel being a special player (think it was 2007?). RIP Saint 

13 hours ago, Ally Alexander said:

Was it Willie Wilson?  Heard that he would up his team-mates asking how the boys i.e., Hearts got on immediately after each game.

Not sure, possibly laurie? I'll give my old man a phone tomorrow and ask.