Ian St John

The Goalscoring Knee

The Goalscoring Knee

From the Press Association

Liverpool great Ian St John has died at the age of 82, the club have announced.

Saint and Greavesie - good viewing back in the day.

Maroon Sailor

Seen him on the BT sport documentary Greavsie and he didn't look or sound well

Required viewing for me as a teen before setting off for Tynecastle.

The footage of Saint watching Scotland v. Uruguay in the '86 World Cup captured the frustration of every Scot that day.

RIP

Sad news. Don't think his good pal Greavesie will be far behind either. Been seriously unwell for a while now.

As well as Saint & Greavsie, went to a couple of his soccer schools as a kid at Heriot Watt, which were great.

A top man and player.

RIP

When I was a wee laddie in the fifties it was the custom to watch Hearts at home with my old man and if there was a good game at Easter Road we would sometimes go with my uncle Drew who was the only Hubby in the family. My father and Drew were talking to me about Ian St John before the game at Easter Road v Motherwell and no wonder. He scored a hat trick in two and a half minutes in a 3 1 win .I was there. Small striker but revered on Merseyside in the sixties. RIP Saint.

John Findlay

Fantastic player. Motherwell and Merseyside will be in mourning.

RIP saint. Thanks for the lovely memories.

Maroon Sailor
26 minutes ago, martoon said:

The footage of Saint watching Scotland v. Uruguay in the '86 World Cup captured the frustration of every Scot that day.

RIP

His soccer camps at Herriot Watt University during the summer holidays used to be an absolute highlight for my boys. He spent lots of time encouraging everyone who attended the camp and it was thoroughly enjoyable for the kids. Lots of real legends on the coaching staff as well. RIP Ian.

Niemi’s gloves

Always liked the story about the poster reading “Jesus Saves!” to which a Liverpudlian wit had added “ But St John knocks in the rebound”

47 minutes ago, martoon said:

Same here. Rest in peace Saint

50 minutes ago, Killinman said:

When I was a wee laddie in the fifties it was the custom to watch Hearts at home with my old man and if there was a good game at Easter Road we would sometimes go with my uncle Drew who was the only Hubby in the family. My father and Drew were talking to me about Ian St John before the game at Easter Road v Motherwell and no wonder. He scored a hat trick in two and a half minutes in a 3 1 win .I was there. Small striker but revered on Merseyside in the sixties. RIP Saint.

Good story Killinman, could it be a record for fastest hat trick?

RIP

William H. Bonney
11 minutes ago, Peakybunnet said:

Good video about him visiting Melwood. Picture above taken at same time. 

That’s a great video, tinged with sadness but great nonetheless 

The Real Maroonblood
16 minutes ago, Pans Jambo said:

Best football show ever. Loved it.

Sad news.

Really enjoyed it.

As you say sad news.

Geoff Kilpatrick

Sad news. Saint & Greavsie is part of everyone's football heritage. RIP.

Edited by Geoff Kilpatrick

Sad news.  Like many, he was part of my match day build up as a kid when he was on Saint and Greavsie.

Watch that, jump on the bus and along to Tynie with no more than a fiver to get in and get a pie and bovril. 🙂

I said this before on a thread ages ago but Ian St John talked about Motherwell v Hearts as the “football classic” when he played back then. I just can’t find an article though. My late Dad actually told me first about the tag it got and then I saw Ian St John talk about it. 

RIP

Geoff Kilpatrick

One poignant memory is their interview with Wallace Mercer at the time of the vermin takeover.

The Real Maroonblood
28 minutes ago, Peakybunnet said:

Good video about him visiting Melwood. Picture above taken at same time. 

Thanks for that.

Ally Alexander

One of the best job Hearts footballing displays that I can remember was his Motherwell team demolish Hearts 5-1 at Tynecastle in 1961.  Fabulous side to watch.

My Grandad's a Motherwell fan, an Ian St John is his favourite ever player.  He'll still tell me about games he went to when he was young, and about the way St John played and the goals he set up or scored.  Every time he does, the look on his face is like he's there again, re-living the moment exactly as it was.  He'll be devastated by this news.

RIP.

22games nro

Met him in the Carlsberg lounge at Anfield the night we played Liverpool , was full of praise for the fans that night and very happy to pose for pictures etc. came across as a genuine guy. RIP

Guess The Crowd
2 hours ago, Niemi’s gloves said:

Always liked the story about the poster reading “Jesus Saves!” to which a Liverpudlian wit had added “ But St John knocks in the rebound”

Was just thinking the same. That line has been used for other players, but St John was the first time I heard it. Great player, and seemed a great guy too. 

3 hours ago, The Goalscoring Knee said:

From the Press Association

Liverpool great Ian St John has died at the age of 82, the club have announced.

Saint and Greavesie - good viewing back in the day.

Remember it well. Another character from the game gone. RIP.

1 hour ago, Debut 4 said:

Sad news.  Like many, he was part of my match day build up as a kid when he was on Saint and Greavsie.

Watch that, jump on the bus and along to Tynie with no more than a fiver to get in and get a pie and bovril. 🙂

I said this before on a thread ages ago but Ian St John talked about Motherwell v Hearts as the “football classic” when he played back then. I just can’t find an article though. My late Dad actually told me first about the tag it got and then I saw Ian St John talk about it. 

RIP

Sad news about the Saint and he was right about the Well/ Hearts games being considered classics. 

So much so that I remember as an eight year old getting taken to see a 

LC quarter final between the sides. 

The first leg was at Fir Park a 1-1 draw in front of 35000. 

The second leg a 6-2 victory for Hearts in front of 49000 at Tynecastle. 

Us kids had to sit on the track to avoid the crush. 

Well had a great team at that time 

StJohn, Martis, Roberts, McCann and goalie Haisty Weir are names that stick in my mind from that era. 

RIP Saint. 

Nookie Bear
17 minutes ago, i8hibsh said:

Grew up with Saint and Greavsie. Loved it.

It was groundbreaking in a way. It brought a bit of fun and irreverance to a world inhabited by stuffy presenters and pundits, and the fact it was presented by two top players gave it credibility.

Pretty much set the benchmark for football coverage.

20 minutes ago, luckydug said:

Sad news about the Saint and he was right about the Well/ Hearts games being considered classics. 

StJohn, Martis, Roberts, McCann and goalie Haisty Weir are names that stick in my mind from that era. 

RIP Saint. 

👍🏻

David Black
20 minutes ago, luckydug said:

RIP Saint. 

Was at that game but stood at the barrier between the exists at Gorgie Road. It was reported at the time around a further 10000 were locked out as it wasn't a ticket match. For about 3 seasons a Hearts v Motherwell game was THE game to see .

Last time I seen him was when he attended Dave Mckays funeral at Mansfield Traquair in Edinburgh in 2015. RIP Saint. 

davemclaren

Remember him from the latter stages of his Liverpool career and then later with Jimmy Greaves on the telly.  Spent many a Saturday in a pub pre-match watching them on a small screen above the barman’s head.  RIP

Niemi’s gloves
1 hour ago, Guess The Crowd said:

Was just thinking the same. That line has been used for other players, but St John was the first time I heard it. Great player, and seemed a great guy too. 

yup, it obviously works best with St John. There is another similar one which I think the great man (Ian St John that is) used to tell as a joke against himself. In this case the poster posed the question “what would you do if Christ came to Liverpool?” to which someone had added the reply “play Him at centre forward in place of St John)

I think a lot of people who watch football programmes can be unaware of the presenters, or at least some of them, being great players in the past. I used to enjoy Saint And Greavesy but wasn’t aware when I was younger how good they’d been. Greaves in particular has unbelievable statistics for his career but sadly wasn’t fit for the 1966 World Cup. I’m pretty certain a lot of people that watch Match Of The Day won’t realise what a great player Gary Lineker was. Not helped by the rewriting of history that pretends top quality football didn’t exist before Sky and the EPL. 

4 hours ago, Rizla said:

Good story Killinman, could it be a record for fastest hat trick?

RIP

Apparently in Scotland it's not and that's down to Tommy Ross for appropriately enough Ross County against Nairn County in the Highland League in 1964