2030 World Cup

Maroon Sailor

Maroon Sailor

World Cup 2030: UK and Republic of Ireland associations back UK government support for bid - https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/56241637

Always remember Arthur Mountford reporting a World Cup bid for Scotland standing on Firs Park saying that ground could be redeveloped to host matches.

Turned out It was an April Fool

August Landmesser
6 minutes ago, inspector said:

Wonder if the 5 nations would qualify automatically?

Might only be three nations by then; the UK (Wales & England) and (United) Ireland... :curtain:

Would certainly cut down on the admin.

Maroon Sailor
10 minutes ago, inspector said:

We'll see what they decide for the 2026 tournament where 3 countries are hosting.

9 minutes ago, Maroon Sailor said:

We'll see what they decide for the 2026 tournament where 3 countries are hosting.

Bit of a dangerous precedent could be set with that one. In fairness, it'll be up to 48 teams by that point so 3 automatic qualifiers isn't too drastic. But I think 3 or more countries hosting a tournament is going to become far more common in years to come.

Would be nice to see a bit of showmanship on the hosts part and allow Canada to get the automatic berth. CONCACAF could then structure qualifying in such a way that makes it almost impossible for both USA and Mexico not to qualify. That said, Mexico always qualify anyway, and USA really ought to.

Saint Jambo
20 minutes ago, inspector said:

9 minutes ago, Maroon Sailor said:

I can't see how they could possibly give all 5 countries a hosting place. If they took them from the UEFA allocation the European nations would never vote for a UK&I bid. If they took them outside the UEFA allocation none of the other regions would vote for it.

The 2026 one looks easier. The expansion of the competition means CONCACAF are going from 3.5 to 6 place. Given that USA, Mexico and Canada are all among the favourites to qualify from that region, it doesn't reduce the chance of qualification much for the other nations. In fact, they'd probably still have a better chance of qualifying for the 2026 WC than they have for 2022. In Europe clearly not all of the UK&I 5 are likely to qualify so by giving them all slots, someone else is inevitably losing out.

The best chance for the bid to succeed would be something like pitch for 2 places, with a round robin tournament to decide who gets them, with the losers going into the normal qualifiers. England could agree to sit that one out as they are almost certain to come through qualifying anyway.

Maroon Sailor
2 minutes ago, Locky said:

Bit of a dangerous precedent could be set with that one. In fairness, it'll be up to 48 teams by that point so 3 automatic qualifiers isn't too drastic. But I think 3 or more countries hosting a tournament is going to become far more common in years to come.

Would be nice to see a bit of showmanship on the hosts part and allow Canada to get the automatic berth. CONCACAF could then structure qualifying in such a way that makes it almost impossible for both USA and Mexico not to qualify. That said, Mexico always qualify anyway, and USA really ought to.

Like you say with the increase of 16 teams, 5 automatic teams as hosts won't be a problem.

It opens it up to countries who are unable to solo host.

1 hour ago, Maroon Sailor said:

World Cup 2030: UK and Republic of Ireland associations back UK government support for bid - https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/56241637

Always remember Arthur Mountford reporting a World Cup bid for Scotland standing on Firs Park saying that ground could be redeveloped to host matches.

Turned out It was an April Fool

I was 14 and fell for it.

4 minutes ago, Maroon Sailor said:

Like you say with the increase of 16 teams, 5 automatic teams as hosts won't be a problem.

It opens it up to countries who are unable to solo host.

Had a look at the case of the 2026 tournament, and the increase to 48 teams sees an increase to 6 CONCACAF teams. Would imagine USA, Mexico and certainly Canada would all qualify anyway. Giving those 3 an automatic berth might actually lead to a fairly open qualification tournament for the other 3 berths. 

Maroon Sailor
14 minutes ago, martoon said:

I was 14 and fell for it.

🤣

I did and when I went out to meet my mates they all did too

We were buzzing 🤣

Just noticed Montford automatically went to Mountford in my original post.

Edited by Maroon Sailor

Maroon Sailor
6 minutes ago, Locky said:

Had a look at the case of the 2026 tournament, and the increase to 48 teams sees an increase to 6 CONCACAF teams. Would imagine USA, Mexico and certainly Canada would all qualify anyway. Giving those 3 an automatic berth might actually lead to a fairly open qualification tournament for the other 3 berths. 

How many European berths are available ?

Given any increase there is a better likelihood of the UK teams and ROI qualifying anyway if it's the top 3 from each group.

Maroon Sailor
4 minutes ago, JDK2020 said:

Will international football still be a thing by then? 

Last one before planes go fully electric

20 minutes ago, Maroon Sailor said:

How many European berths are available ?

Given any increase there is a better likelihood of the UK teams and ROI qualifying anyway if it's the top 3 from each group.

16 of the 48 will be UEFA. Up from the current 13 out of 32.

Maroon Sailor
2 minutes ago, Locky said:

16 of the 48 will be UEFA. Up from the current 13 out of 32.

I thought it would have been more than 16 from UEFA

That surprises me. That's less than a 1/5th of the additional teams.

3 minutes ago, Craig_ said:

When do the entries have to be in? Timing of this seems political...

Can't see anything online about when the bidding process formally starts. It must be fairly soon though as they tend to announce the host several years in advance. Qatar won their bid in 2010, Russia in 2009!

Maroon Sailor
5 minutes ago, Craig_ said:

When do the entries have to be in? Timing of this seems political...

Process begins 2022

5 minutes ago, Maroon Sailor said:

There's 2 places reserved for a playoff too apparently, but not sure if UEFA get any potential extra spots from that. The association that benefits most is Oceania. They've never had 1 given spot until 2026. Will probably be mostly New Zealand who take it, but it would be great to see the likes of Fiji get their arses handed to them by France and Brazil. :lol: 

John Findlay

FIFA, might see this as an ideal time to push for a team GB which has been on their radar for years.

4 hours ago, August Landmesser said:

Might only be three nations by then; the UK (Wales & England) and (United) Ireland... :curtain:

What about the Independent London?

22 minutes ago, John Findlay said:

FIFA, might see this as an ideal time to push for a team GB which has been on their radar for years.

The sad thing is that not many Scots would be in it. I'm a diehard Unionist but like that we have separate teams in sport.

3 hours ago, kila said:

Hampden in 2030 will still be the same.

Hopefully by then we will have been there and triumphed a few times!

5 hours ago, August Landmesser said:

More chance of a team GB and obviously Ireland separate 

Edited by James1874f

I don't really want to get into a debate but to me its a thinly veiled political stunt.

Why would England not just apply plenty big stadiums. 

Part of the Westminster "love bomb"

Maroon Sailor
17 minutes ago, Alan_R said:

I don't really want to get into a debate but to me its a thinly veiled political stunt.

Why would England not just apply plenty big stadiums. 

Part of the Westminster "love bomb"

Do you not think it would be good then ?

4 hours ago, Maroon Sailor said:

Think it is because we already have the most

8 minutes ago, Maroon Sailor said:

Do you not think it would be good then ?

I always enjoy the world cup anyway. 

Smoked-Glass

Our qualifiers for next year start this month.  3 games end of march. 

Israel 🇮🇱 again 🥺ffs

5 hours ago, JJ93 said:

The sad thing is that not many Scots would be in it. I'm a diehard Unionist but like that we have separate teams in sport.

This for me too

A non starter as nobody likes the English. They could throw billions at it and it would not get past the first hurdle. 

Heartsofgold

So, the USA will have had it twice and MEXICO 3 times in the same time when the countries that originated the game have had it ONCE.  Aye that's fair.

Fozzyonthefence
26 minutes ago, Heartsofgold said:

So, the USA will have had it twice and MEXICO 3 times in the same time when the countries that originated the game have had it ONCE.  Aye that's fair.

It is ridiculous that England has only had it once.  But they’re not popular and since the system relies on other countries voting for them maybe they feel a joint bid with the other countries would stand more chance.  

Scotland as a nation will be dead long before then and you can all go out and and shout for engerland wave your ujs and  st George's cross

Totally political move from the tories

37 minutes ago, baddab said:

Scotland as a nation will be dead long before then and you can all go out and and shout for engerland wave your ujs and  st George's cross

Totally political move from the tories

It is a wise move imo - probably politically motivated in part & very shrewd. 

England should do it themselves. They usually do a good job. Euro 96 and the Olympics were brilliant. 

Scotland can do the commonwealth games and the odd champions league final. 

As for team GB, I'll support ABGB if it happens. But it won't. 

23 hours ago, John Findlay said:

They’re not going to touch that hot tattie whilst there is a chance of independence John

Byyy The Light

I encourage everyone to read the book Red Card by Ken Bensinger.

Have to say it's tainted the World Cup and football generally for me now, so on second thoughts...don't read it if you enjoy these things.