Armand speaks

Clerry Jambo

hmfc_liam06
Just now, Sir Gio said:

Whites hard work definitely benefits Kingsley 

100%. And that's not something I thought I'd ever be saying about White! I wanted him out of the club in the summer but I believe he's our best option down the left. Kingsley is far more effective with White in front of him.

• Replies 129
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• hmfc_liam06

• Lord Beni of Gorgie

• Nookie Bear

• Agentjambo

Lord Beni of Gorgie
Just now, hmfc_liam06 said:

100%. And that's not something I thought I'd ever be saying about White! I wanted him out of the club in the summer but I believe he's our best option down the left. Kingsley is far more effective with White in front of him.

Always maintained he is a good player, just not a very healthy one. Pain affects form badly and the body sometimes just won't do what the brain is asking. 

He runs at people something alien to most in our team. Good to see Gary get some runs in last week.

It was pretty grim last week again but there were some hints of a more direct approach, if fleeting 

hmfc_liam06
3 minutes ago, Sir Gio said:

Always maintained he is a good player, just not a very healthy one. Pain affects form badly and the body sometimes just won't do what the brain is asking. 

He runs at people something alien to most in our team. Good to see Gary get some runs in last week.

It was pretty grim last week again but there were some hints of a more direct approach, if fleeting 

Guy at work is a Leeds fan and raved about him, injuries just done him in.

A midfield of - White Walker Irving/McEneff GMS - could work. White being a more defensive winger could easily cover for Walker.

Berra than you
36 minutes ago, TheBigO said:

Aye, and it took Dodds like 10 mins to see we'd totally changed shape!!  Cringingly bad analysis.

The way I saw it is we more or less freed up our front 4 - Naismith kind of moved to the right and Kastaneer and Boyce played as CFs but moving in and out and side to side a lot, with GMS floating, but primarily on the left.  It was working, moreso because we started being more direct and playing with pace.  Then we changed it all second half and reverted to type!

We have used it before and genuinely think it suits our players well. Robbie calls it a 4-4-2 diamond but it's more like a 4-1-3-2. Who would have thought playing one sitter instead of two would allow us to unlock defences easier eh?

hmfc_liam06
1 minute ago, Berra than you said:

We have used it before and genuinely think it suits our players well. Robbie calls it a 4-4-2 diamond but it's more like a 4-1-3-2. Who would have thought playing one sitter instead of two would allow us to unlock defences easier eh?

That formation is basically what I was alluding to above. For me it's our best set up given the players at our disposal.

Berra than you
6 minutes ago, Sir Gio said:

He is night and day to the player we had last season. In part I guess it's because he is over his injury, but playing further up the park suits him imo. Wouldn't be agaisnt and extra year for him. On a side note, the penalty he gave away to Ross County last season was one of the most comical phases of play I've ever seen 😂.

Berra than you
1 minute ago, hmfc_liam06 said:

That formation is basically what I was alluding to above. For me it's our best set up given the players at our disposal.

Absolutely. Peter haring is tailor made for the 1 sitter too, if he can get fit/work his way back into Robbie's plans.

hmfc_liam06
Just now, Berra than you said:

Absolutely. Peter haring is tailor made for the 1 sitter too, if he can get fit/work his way back into Robbie's plans.

We could really use any of Haring, Irving or McEneff there. Depending on who we are playing.

Dundee away, play a more defensive minded player but really anyone at home we should be using Irving or McEneff.

Yeah, we've got to create much more, put in much better deliveries from wide but the big man has got to take his chances as well. He had two great chances, got caught offside for one and smashed the other past the post. 

I don't think a flat 4-4-2 works and if we play Boyce and Armand together we're going to have to come up with something better. 

Both Walker and GMS seem to do better when they are given a free role behind the strikers, so perhaps we should look at a 4-2-2-2 instead. However that is reliant on attacking full backs getting really high up the pitch, one box to box mid and one holding mid. 

Berra than you
2 minutes ago, hmfc_liam06 said:

We could really use any of Haring, Irving or McEneff there. Depending on who we are playing.

Dundee away, play a more defensive minded player but really anyone at home we should be using Irving or McEneff.

Yeah I would agree. Seemed to get the most out of GMS too. Hopefully we start that way on Saturday, but I'll not hold my breath.

Lord Beni of Gorgie
9 minutes ago, Berra than you said:

He is night and day to the player we had last season. In part I guess it's because he is over his injury, but playing further up the park suits him imo. Wouldn't be agaisnt and extra year for him. On a side note, the penalty he gave away to Ross County last season was one of the most comical phases of play I've ever seen 😂.

He looked like an amateur that day and a clear indication his fitness was a real issue . A bit like Haring against Dundee,  stiff and tired, how I feel the day after 2 rounds of golf :lol:

10 minutes ago, hmfc_liam06 said:

I think a big part of our problem is we are too static in our positions and movements. 

Could just be a TV thing, just the visual I see.

Every week I hope to see better but not so much. Last 15 minutes of each half last Friday were better,  but its not enough clearly 

Edited by Sir Gio

13 minutes ago, Berra than you said:

Totally agree , I’ve ranted about this on previous posts , Haring sitting and 3 attacking midfielders and 2 up front. 
Haring sitting would also give a bit more protection to the defence and give the midfield more confidence in going forward.

3 hours ago, TheBigO said:

He's spot on.

The last few games we've looked dangerous simply getting the ball in the box. But we do it once or twice then revert to pass pass pass.

Against Moreton it was unbelievable. They were very clearly struggling to deal with balls into the box and we just refused to do it. Bloody bombard teams.

And the funny thing is, you play that way, it pins their midfield, makes them narrow and your wingers get more chance to play with space wide, something we've struggled with

Apply that to football in general. It’s almost below managers to set their team up to get crosses in. It’s like football snobbery, it needs to be 10 pointless passes and walk the ball in. 

I was watching a bit of the boring Chelsea v Man U game. The most uncertain a defence looked was when Man U had to defend a cross from Odoi around the back of them. A hasty mishit clearance ensued. 

Defences get too easy a ride. There’s not the persistence to test their resolve, getting balls in, wearing them down. If they stand up to it, fair play but it’s not happening enough in the game now.  The centre forward art of attacking the ball, knowing where to take yer chances with space in the box, is dying out.  The game isn’t played that way now. 

Armand, however, looks like one of that dying breed in his style.  

Byyy The Light
35 minutes ago, Ma Roon said:

What is it about coaches, managers and football experts that are afraid these days of pairing 2 striker's together in a partnership? 

It leaves you a man short in midfield and they are all obsessed with winning the midfield battle.  Despite the fact in Scottish football and this league in particular, our opposition bypass the midfield 75% of the time. 

Berra than you
5 minutes ago, Byyy The Light said:

It leaves you a man short in midfield and they are all obsessed with winning the midfield battle.  Despite the fact in Scottish football and this league in particular, our opposition bypass the midfield 75% of the time. 

Whilst I agree thats probably what puts managers off, it only gives you a man short if midfield if you set up that way. There is a number of ways to play two up top and still have plenty on the middle. Formations tend to change with and without the ball also.

This is like Bjorn Johnsen all over again.

'Why did you buy me if you buy me if you won't play to my strengths'

(Along lines of a conversation I over heard BJ having with Levein who were at the table behind me at my FOH plot ceremony)

We need to either get to the by-line and get crosses in or if we struggle to get to the by-line because it doesn't suit our wingers style of play, get them fired in by full backs or wing backs from deeper and focus on pressuring the break of the ball.

Seems another player brought in because he seems a player, but we won't play to his strengths.

Edited by DETTY29

40 minutes ago, hmfc_liam06 said:

Aidy White is a far better player than a lot on here give him credit for being. Certainly worth another year IMO.

2 minutes ago, Debut 4 said:

Apply that to football in general. It’s almost below managers to set their team up to get crosses in. It’s like football snobbery, it needs to be 10 pointless passes and walk the ball in. 

I was watching a bit of the boring Chelsea v Man U game. The most uncertain a defence looked was when Man U had to defend a cross from Odoi around the back of them. A hasty mishit clearance ensued. 

Defences get too easy a ride. There’s not the persistence to test their resolve, getting balls in, wearing them down. If they stand up to it, fair play but it’s not happening enough in the game now.  The centre forward art of attacking the ball, knowing where to take yer chances with space in the box, is dying out.  The game isn’t played that way now. 

Football doesn’t need to be complicated especially at our level.

This pass x 100 is fine for teams who do it at pace and with a purpose for us it’s just a way of slowing down the game and letting the opposition set themselves. 

Get defenders facing their own goal and chances will come, get wingers mixing it up and full/wing backs get nervous and drop deep. 

A simple one-two or a ball over the top into space, with us 10/15 yards further up the pitch will get us chances. 

Our midfield is static, and our wingers mostly receive the ball with their backs to goal.

I like McEneff he looks like a forward thinking midfielder, GMS with a ball in front of him will be effective. Boyce running onto crosses more effective. What we get now Boyce dropping deep that’s the 10’s job however especially Naismith goes into McEneffs space and we end up 10 yards to deep with no forward out ball.

I honestly think it’s the players as much as the management, they have no discipline in position and take no responsibility. They need to stay in positions to hurt the opposition and trust their team mates to do their job. The only excuse they have is they don’t trust the centre halves and they worry about balls by passing midfield and as we’ve seen so often a simple ball over the top causes panic.

Nookie Bear
4 minutes ago, Deevers said:

Aidy White is a far better player than a lot on here give him credit for being. Certainly worth another year IMO.

To be fair, he was struggling for fitness when he arrived and had all the hallmark of another failed Levein project.

Credit where it is due, he has turned out pretty good...but we need him on the pitch.

Byyy The Light
10 minutes ago, Debut 4 said:

Great post. They all play in phases so when the ball gets shifted across the defender thinks all they have to do is cut off the angle and the opposition will turn back and restart the phase.  It's all choreographed and scripted until someone unlocks it with a pass or a flick round the corner.

Clones.  Boring to watch.  Pointless trying to play like that up here as the players aren't skilled or technical enough to do the unlocking part quickly and accurately enough.  What you end up with is essentially us, lots of possession, no cutting edge and no real chances.

Howdy Doody Jambo
17 minutes ago, Byyy The Light said:

Exactly " you've got to win the midfield battle for the right to play" is the clique you hear all the time only in Scottish football terms, but most teams end up launching it and the football players are bypassed with their heads looking up into the skies for 90 minutes 

Play both Gnando and Boyce, get dangerous crosses in and cause havoc with Gnando winnnig headers, Boyce sniffing in the penalty box and MacEneff / Walker mixing and matching who takes the gamble to be the late runner in to the box and who sniffs around outside.

The crosses don't need to be from the by-line.

Oh for the days of Callum Paterson with whipped in crosses causing panic and from the resultant corner causing more havoc, scoring.

Edited by DETTY29

7 minutes ago, Nookie Bear said:

To be fair, he was struggling for fitness when he arrived and had all the hallmark of another failed Levein project.

Credit where it is due, he has turned out pretty good...but we need him on the pitch.

Definitely. His work rate is excellent and he’s far more direct than either GMS or Frear.  He’s also far better at tracking back. Definitely  worth another year.

Howdy Doody Jambo
54 minutes ago, Sir Gio said:

Colquhoun Clark and Robertson still the best attacking line up I ever did see at Hearts. 

Do you need 2 wingers?

That's my favourite also, Colquhoun and Foster could also play wide and stretch defences 

I don't think you need 2 wingers if you can get the full-backs or wing-backs to cross the ball early

You could give a winger a free role and cross from either side although not many player's can kick with both feet these days 

4 hours ago, sandylejambo said:

I don't know where he gets the "the teams plays good football" from, must be in training.

You have to keep the paymaster happy!

3 hours ago, Gordon Ramsay said:

He looked better against Morton and ICT. Understand where he is coming from too. We don't cross enough and when we do half the time the crosses go out of play. 

The other half don't get past the 1st defender at shoulder height!

2 hours ago, Rudy T said:

I’ll give you an example which sums up Hearts at the moment, in the 67th minute (I just happened to look at how long was left) On Friday the ball breaks to Michael Smith he’s just in their half and he has a clear space to run into, he takes about a yard then looks for a pass, the move breaks down, then the ball ends up with Kingsley who does drive forward and I think it’s Walker who gets a shot away from Kingsleys pass but that pass was 15/20 yards higher up the pitch than Smiths. 

We over pass and play in front of the opposition, we need to constantly drive at defenders, 7/10 we’ll get stopped but those other 3 times we can make a chance. I can tell you from being a full back there was nothing more tiring in a game than having a wide player running at you for 90 mins. As a defender you have to get it right every time, the winger only has to get it right once and your a goal down. 

I feel with Neilson he’s got system for this league, which will win it, and only once it’s won will we see him change and try new things. I think he thought we be home and dry by now but the last 3 games mean I think it’ll go till the last couple of weeks. So whatever they’re planning for next year will have to be worked on preseason. 

6 at the back and 2 goalies?????

2 hours ago, Red Card Ref said:

I actually preferred our style before we signed GMS and Kas. That is saying something as I certainly wasn't impressed then either!

Wingers attacking opposition full backs is something Neilson told us he would bring, and he has, although it's not very successful. But, all of a sudden our previously attacking full backs are staying deep. Full backs overlapping wingers is something I've not seen us do consistently for years. 

This.

I noticed against ICT that Kingsley rarely (never ?) got ahead of GMS meaning the out of form wingers are either delivering nothing/poor crosses/crosses from poor areas. 

Then we had the crazy situation of wingers being withdrawn from wide areas (as picked up by McFadden) and that was after GMS had had a couple of good spells getting 2 players booked. 

Hopefully GMS get shown a bit more faith this week and delivers something. 

Hearts to win 2-0 with another unconvincing display.  

Tom Hardy’s Dug
2 hours ago, Red Card Ref said:

I actually preferred our style before we signed GMS and Kas. That is saying something as I certainly wasn't impressed then either!

Wingers attacking opposition full backs is something Neilson told us he would bring, and he has, although it's not very successful. But, all of a sudden our previously attacking full backs are staying deep. Full backs overlapping wingers is something I've not seen us do consistently for years. 

To be honest the last time I remember us having two decent overlapping/attacking full backs in the same team would have been Frail and Tosh. 

They brought a brilliant additional dimension to our team in attack.

It can’t be that difficult in this day and age...

Gordon Ramsay
15 minutes ago, Jambo61 said:

The other half don't get past the 1st defender at shoulder height!

Correct. 

Bazzas right boot
1 hour ago, Sir Gio said:

He's fast as **** Tbh. 

I like him, gives 100%, direct, fast can be a bit untidy at times but te poor ******* can't get a decent run games. 

He also can't be that expensive. 

1 hour ago, Rudy T said:

Football doesn’t need to be complicated especially at our level.

This pass x 100 is fine for teams who do it at pace and with a purpose for us it’s just a way of slowing down the game and letting the opposition set themselves. 

Get defenders facing their own goal and chances will come, get wingers mixing it up and full/wing backs get nervous and drop deep. 

A simple one-two or a ball over the top into space, with us 10/15 yards further up the pitch will get us chances. 

Our midfield is static, and our wingers mostly receive the ball with their backs to goal.

I like McEneff he looks like a forward thinking midfielder, GMS with a ball in front of him will be effective. Boyce running onto crosses more effective. What we get now Boyce dropping deep that’s the 10’s job however especially Naismith goes into McEneffs space and we end up 10 yards to deep with no forward out ball.

I honestly think it’s the players as much as the management, they have no discipline in position and take no responsibility. They need to stay in positions to hurt the opposition and trust their team mates to do their job. The only excuse they have is they don’t trust the centre halves and they worry about balls by passing midfield and as we’ve seen so often a simple ball over the top causes panic.

Totally agree 👍🏻

1 hour ago, Byyy The Light said:

Great post. They all play in phases so when the ball gets shifted across the defender thinks all they have to do is cut off the angle and the opposition will turn back and restart the phase.  It's all choreographed and scripted until someone unlocks it with a pass or a flick round the corner.

Clones.  Boring to watch.  Pointless trying to play like that up here as the players aren't skilled or technical enough to do the unlocking part quickly and accurately enough.  What you end up with is essentially us, lots of possession, no cutting edge and no real chances.

👍🏻

portobellojambo1
1 hour ago, hmfc_liam06 said:

Can I just ask you something, without intending to be argumentative in any way. Why, if we can play in a specific way against Dundee at Tynecastle, should we then consider changing that style because we are playing the same team away from home. It is being played on a different football park but surely the best thing to do is approach such a game in the exact same way as we would at home. If something works then why consider changing it just because of where the game is being played. If something works then stick with it.

Bazzas right boot
1 hour ago, Debut 4 said:

This is the key to it, especially at our level or even Scotland in general. 

Keep the pressure on, whether it's diagnols, crosses, shots, corners keep testing the defence and keeper. 

It does not have to be great quality but persistent pressure usually pays off. 

Taking a breather and passing sideways for 5-10  minutes just gives the defence a break. 

Especially at our level were mistakes will be made more often than not. 

If we get ahead, then that's when we can play more incisive, accurate football as there is more space to do so and get behind. 

18 players in the final third - get it in the box as quickly and as much as possible, shoot when given the chance. 

Edited by Smith's right boot

Lord Beni of Gorgie
50 minutes ago, Ma Roon said:

That's my favourite also, Colquhoun and Foster could also play wide and stretch defences 

I don't think you need 2 wingers if you can get the full-backs or wing-backs to cross the ball early

You could give a winger a free role and cross from either side although not many player's can kick with both feet these days 

I went to a few English Championship games,  a while ago now admittedly but one thing struck me, getting the ball in early from about 12 to 30 yards out was the plot, not hitting byline. 

The real quality teams will try and work their way into the box, can't help but feeling not enough teams have the players to do that and a better ploy is to get a defender turning back towards his own goal. 

Old fashioned, but if you wait long enough everything comes back in fashion eventually 

Bazzas right boot
5 minutes ago, portobellojambo1 said:

Can I just ask you something, without intending to be argumentative in any way. Why, if we can play in a specific way against Dundee at Tynecastle, should we then consider changing that style because we are playing the same team away from home. It is being played on a different football park but surely the best thing to do is approach such a game in the exact same way as we would at home. If something works then why consider changing it just because of where the game is being played. If something works then stick with it.

In theory-yes but in practice no. 

Lord Beni of Gorgie
5 minutes ago, portobellojambo1 said:

A question I've always wanted to know. 

Part of the answer is that the opponents will adopt a different strategy or mindset but again why.

England teams to play generally the same way home or away I find. Maybe with tweaks right enough 

1 hour ago, DETTY29 said:

Play both Gnando and Boyce, get dangerous crosses in and cause havoc with Gnando winnnig headers, Boyce sniffing in the penalty box and MacEneff / Walker mixing and matching who takes the gamble to be the late runner in to the box and who sniffs around outside.

The crosses don't need to be from the by-line.

Oh for the days of Callum Paterson with whipped in crosses causing panic and from the resultant corner causing more havoc, scoring.

McEneff’s got the late runner look in him. 

The problem is programming the players to play a different way.  No one would expect miracles but I’d bet if we tried to change and play this way we’d see the fruits over a period of time. 

We need to integrate persistence, players who keep knocking at the door and keep making the runs and  movements to get the breaks. My fear is the heads going down. Yer break could come early, maybe around half time, maybe about 70 minutes, but you need the players who keep going and going until it comes.  

We’ve said for long enough our strikers do too much of their work outside or too far away from the box.  

6 minutes ago, Smith's right boot said:

This is the key to it, especially at our level or even Scotland in general. 

Keep the pressure on, whether it's diagnols, crosses, shots, corners keep testing the defence and keeper. 

It does not have to be great quality but persistent pressure usually pays off

Taking a breather and passing sideways for 5-10  minutes just gives the defence a break. 

Especially at our level were mistakes will be made more often than not. 

If we get ahead, then that's when we can play more incisive, accurate football as there is more space to do so and get behind. 

18 players in the final third - get it in the box as quickly and as much as possible, shoot when given the chance. 

Exactly. 

Football is about effort and technique, not formations or strategy. Anybody who's kicked a ball in anger knows it, lots tend to hide behind the formations and strategy myth. They are predominantly the lazy ones. 

When we look decent it's because we're working hard and moving around the pitch constantly, when we look Shit it's because we're standing around waiting for somebody else to put in the effort. 

We get outworked by teams currently and if that doesn't change well keep stumbling. 

Effort comes from within.  

3 hours ago, Rogue Daddy said:

Exactly, our wingers shouldn't even necessarily be beating an man before crossing... if we had 2 up front our wide-men could be whipping in first-time crosses. Gnando would eat them up all day long! Get this 4231 tae fcuk.

Every time you watch Hearts the team playing against us looks a danger cause they are doing exactly this.It infuriating cause Neilson talked about wanting to play this way and that is why Nando came in but it's back to the same shit boring play.

Edited by vegas-voss

Need to create more chances for sure. Crosses are important. Shame no Gino

Kingsley and Smith need to get on their bike and make a difference. McEneff looks like he can cross a ball. Haring instead of Halliday will give them all more freedom. Irving would help to so we move ball quicker - also on set pieces 

portobellojambo1
8 minutes ago, Smith's right boot said:

In theory-yes but in practice no. 

But why, i.e. why no in practice. Why would any team, not just HMFC, consider changing their style of play away from home. I presume the theory should be to stick with something which works. I can understand changes in tactics/style, in a European game for example, played over two legs, where you might choose to try and keep things close away from home. But in a one off game where you have a system that works why consider changing that just because of the venue.

lost in space
2 minutes ago, R1874 said:

Need to create more chances for sure. Crosses are important. Shame no Gino

Kingsley and Smith need to get on their bike and make a difference. McEneff looks like he can cross a ball. Haring instead of Halliday will give them all more freedom. Irving would help to so we move ball quicker - also on set pieces 

Kingsley and Smith are not allowed on their bike. We have 2 wingers now (aye, right) and FBs are being held back as defenders.

Kidd’s Boots
2 hours ago, Sir Gio said:

Colquhoun Clark and Robertson still the best attacking line up I ever did see at Hearts. 

Do you need 2 wingers?

I  don't think we do. We need and have options to change the front three throughout the game or depending who we play. Perm any 4 from Naismith Boyce Gnanduillet and Henderson for the strike pairing and then GMS Kasteneer with maybe White as an option for pace. 

davemclaren
6 minutes ago, portobellojambo1 said:

But why, i.e. why no in practice. Why would any team, not just HMFC, consider changing their style of play away from home. I presume the theory should be to stick with something which works. I can understand changes in tactics/style, in a European game for example, played over two legs, where you might choose to try and keep things close away from home. But in a one off game where you have a system that works why consider changing that just because of the venue.

It’s the psychology of playing home or away. Always has been that way though no crowds should lesson the effect you would think. 

portobellojambo1
1 minute ago, davemclaren said:

It’s the psychology of playing home or away. Always has been that way though no crowds should lesson the effect you would think. 

Certainly the lack of crowds should have a bearing dave. But in all honesty teams like, for example, Celtic when they were at their best, approached all games in the same manner. They play/played exactly the same away from home as they do at Parkhead. One could say it is because they have/had better players, but I'm guessing that for a lesser side, again not necessarily HMFC again, then the best way to improve is to create a style of play and stick to that. If it works it works for a reason. I fully understand that teams tend to have two options, but normally only move to option 2 late in a game if option 1 has been exhausted without success.

25 minutes ago, Sir Gio said:

A question I've always wanted to know. 

Part of the answer is that the opponents will adopt a different strategy or mindset but again why.

England teams to play generally the same way home or away I find. Maybe with tweaks right enough 

We would sign the wrong kind of tweaks!