Armand speaks

Clerry Jambo

14 minutes ago, lost in space said:

Kingsley and Smith are not allowed on their bike. We have 2 wingers now (aye, right) and FBs are being held back as defenders.

Who apparently can't defend!

• Replies 129
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• hmfc_liam06

• Lord Beni of Gorgie

• Nookie Bear

• Agentjambo

7 minutes ago, portobellojambo1 said:

But why, i.e. why no in practice. Why would any team, not just HMFC, consider changing their style of play away from home. I presume the theory should be to stick with something which works. I can understand changes in tactics/style, in a European game for example, played over two legs, where you might choose to try and keep things close away from home. But in a one off game where you have a system that works why consider changing that just because of the venue.

I think the answer is part of the larger question on why venues even matter.  Why do we beat the OF relatively regularly at home, but victories in Glasgow are like solar eclipses?  Why do home teams win 75%(i think) of the time?

I'm not sure there are any obvious answers.  Hard to even know if teams changing setup home and away is a reaction, or if it is adding to the phenomenon.

hmfc_liam06
36 minutes ago, portobellojambo1 said:

Can I just ask you something, without intending to be argumentative in any way. Why, if we can play in a specific way against Dundee at Tynecastle, should we then consider changing that style because we are playing the same team away from home. It is being played on a different football park but surely the best thing to do is approach such a game in the exact same way as we would at home. If something works then why consider changing it just because of where the game is being played. If something works then stick with it.

Because home sides, and the perceived better sides in particular, will have more of a go at home than they would away from home and it would be remiss of any team to ignore what other teams are doing/certain players/systems.

davemclaren
4 minutes ago, portobellojambo1 said:

Certainly the lack of crowds should have a bearing dave. But in all honesty teams like, for example, Celtic when they were at their best, approached all games in the same manner. They play/played exactly the same away from home as they do at Parkhead. One could say it is because they have/had better players, but I'm guessing that for a lesser side, again not necessarily HMFC again, then the best way to improve is to create a style of play and stick to that. If it works it works for a reason. I fully understand that teams tend to have two options, but normally only move to option 2 late in a game if option 1 has been exhausted without success.

The very best teams do seem to be the ones that get over it more but even they still tend to have better home records than away ones. 

hmfc_liam06
Just now, davemclaren said:

The very best teams do seem to be the ones that get over it more but even they still tend to have better home records than away ones. 

And we're certainly closer to Dundee etc in terms of ability than Man City, Liverpool etc are to Crystal Palace, Sheff United etc.

We're not in the position to just go at every single team we play, set ups are tweaked to counter what we face on the day.

3 minutes ago, hmfc_liam06 said:

And we're certainly closer to Dundee etc in terms of ability than Man City, Liverpool etc are to Crystal Palace, Sheff United etc.

We're not in the position to just go at every single team we play, set ups are tweaked to counter what we face on the day.

I usually agree with a lot you say but have to slightly disagree. We have better players than arguably every team in this league. As Robbie stated at the start of the season "we are a premiership team" playing in the championship.Other teams should be worried about what we are doing and how to counter us, with our quality of player we should be going for the jugular from the start of every game, home or away. 

hmfc_liam06
1 minute ago, Agentjambo said:

I usually agree with a lot you say but have to slightly disagree. We have better players than arguably every team in this league. As Robbie stated at the start of the season "we are a premiership team" playing in the championship.Other teams should be worried about what we are doing and how to counter us, with our quality of player we should be going for the jugular from the start of every game, home or away. 

Totally, I get that. But teams do also have to look at opposition, particularly when we're playing away and alter the line up to suit.

I've not actually advocated changing systems but I don't think it's a crazy idea to have someone like Haring (who has better defensive attributes) play away at a team who are likely to try start on the front foot over someone like Irving or McEneff.

8 minutes ago, hmfc_liam06 said:

Totally, I get that. But teams do also have to look at opposition, particularly when we're playing away and alter the line up to suit.

I've not actually advocated changing systems but I don't think it's a crazy idea to have someone like Haring (who has better defensive attributes) play away at a team who are likely to try start on the front foot over someone like Irving or McEneff.

I'm probably a bit old fashioned in that I think, and I'm not comparing us to Liverpool, man City or even Brentford but they keep the same system of 4-3-3 every game home orr away. I think it's the only way to get continuity in the team and to create this "dangerous, dynamic unit" that Robbie is on about. 

Just now, Agentjambo said:

I'm probably a bit old fashioned in that I think, and I'm not comparing us to Liverpool, man City or even Brentford but they keep the same system of 4-3-3 every game home orr away. I think it's the only way to get continuity in the team and to create this "dangerous, dynamic unit" that Robbie is on about. 

...i also think this season in the championship was the ideal time to implement this preferred way of playing, ready for next season. 

Bazzas right boot
1 hour ago, portobellojambo1 said:

But why, i.e. why no in practice. Why would any team, not just HMFC, consider changing their style of play away from home. I presume the theory should be to stick with something which works. I can understand changes in tactics/style, in a European game for example, played over two legs, where you might choose to try and keep things close away from home. But in a one off game where you have a system that works why consider changing that just because of the venue.

No idea, been happening with a few exceptions for decades, teams generally have a better home record. 

It's worthy of a debate, but not just a Hearts thing Tbh. 

So, just in from work and read Gnando's views. he is right in that we don't get enough balls in the box but it all starts from midfield. There's no pace in midfield. Folk have criticized GMS and other wingers but when the midfield is so slow and ponderous the opposition gets time to assume their positions again and fullbacks and defenders double up on wingers who try to get the ball in the box. The wingers are essentially having to beat two players on their own and still get the ball in, then get criticized for not doing enough. GMS at previous clubs always had midfielders running with him, someone to 1 - 2 with or link with. Now he has no in-ball as the midfield are standing about like extra defenders watching, a forward has to come deep to try to help out which in return, leaves us short of targets in the box. It's catch 22. We are basically playing no-bodies and still find it difficult to find a formation that works. All too complicated when there's no need for it to be. But that's what we're stuck with and it won't change no matter what players are signed or let go. A simple 4-4-2/4-3-3 system would suit the players we have. No need for two wingers or two defensive midfielders, not even in the Premier league. 

.......................Gordon

.....Smith,Popescu, Haklett, Kingsley

Walker, McEneff, Haring, Mackay-Steven

.............Gnanduillet, Boyce

Potential subs if needed, GMS/White, Haring/Halliday,Naismith/either striker, McEneff/Irving, Kastaneer/Walker. Pretty straight forward stuff really.

4 hours ago, hmfc_liam06 said:

I'd actually put Halliday at left midfield (or White) which will give Kingsley freedom to get back to what he was good at. Play the out and out winger on the right side. And then the midfield two of Walker and Irving/McEneff.

We don't need Halliday and Irving in the middle of the park against the dross in this league.

fair point. although perhaps white a better option than halliday. would you play GMS or Kastaneer as the sole winger? (guessing GMS as he's the permie signing). 

Not sure if Nielsen would look to drop one of GMS or Kastaneer as they're both his signings and he's said we need width and pace. 

2 hours ago, Agentjambo said:

...i also think this season in the championship was the ideal time to implement this preferred way of playing, ready for next season. 

I would suggest he has? This is his system, while I think it needs more work as I’ve said earlier in this thread Neilson seems set on this style. Where I think a lot of work needs done is on alternative systems, when games aren’t going to plan it seems to panic the bench and we just randomly launch on players.

There without a doubt in my mind is a problem with the players application and attitude. We’re only 9 games from the season end and this group of players still seem to think turning up is good enough. I’m not encouraging a troll fest but there does seem to be a malaise at the club as a whole. 

5 minutes ago, Rudy T said:

I would suggest he has? This is his system, while I think it needs more work as I’ve said earlier in this thread Neilson seems set on this style. Where I think a lot of work needs done is on alternative systems, when games aren’t going to plan it seems to panic the bench and we just randomly launch on players.

There without a doubt in my mind is a problem with the players application and attitude. We’re only 9 games from the season end and this group of players still seem to think turning up is good enough. I’m not encouraging a troll fest but there does seem to be a malaise at the club as a whole. 

If your second paragraph is correct, either the players need to be shipped out and the proper players attitude wise are needed or Neilson can't motivate and he's lost the dressing room and he perhaps needs to go. 

2 hours ago, Agentjambo said:

What exactly is his preferred system anyway? 4-3-3 or 4-2-3-1 or 4-1-3-2? I know for certain he can't play either 4-3-3 or 4-2-3-1 and accommodate both Boyce and Nando as both in my opinion are number 9's.

14 minutes ago, Rudy T said:

We’re only 9 games from the season end and this group of players still seem to think turning up is good enough. I’m not encouraging a troll fest but there does seem to be a malaise at the club as a whole. 

Exactly the words I used a few days back (I'm not claiming copyright 😄).

The team often starts poorly but Neilson seems incapable of injecting anything into the team or making adjustments in real time. Maybe its dawning on a few of them , their time is up. Like I said before, this isn't the Hearts team from last time around : the double training sessions , pulverising teams with a sheer will to win. This is ageing pros who think they've got enough in the tank just to turn up and get the job done. 

Edited by NANOJAMBO

Hector Riva
7 hours ago, indianajones said:

He needs to start with Boyce in every single game. 

Spot on. 

14 minutes ago, Agentjambo said:

If your second paragraph is correct, either the players need to be shipped out and the proper players attitude wise are needed or Neilson can't motivate and he's lost the dressing room and he perhaps needs to go. 

Neilson is far from perfect but given this attitude pre-dates him I’d suggest it’s the players. My theory is the influences within the dressing room aren’t hungry enough in games that aren’t “big” games and have distilled an attitude that they’re too good for the opposition, and it all comes as a big surprise when teams don’t just roll over. 

9 minutes ago, NANOJAMBO said:

Exactly the words I used a few days back (I'm not claiming copyright 😄).

The team often starts poorly but Neilson seems incapable of injecting anything into the team or making adjustments in real time. Maybe its dawning on a few of them , their time is up. Like I said before, this isn't the Hearts team from last time around : the double training sessions , pulverising teams with a sheer will to win. This is ageing pros who think they've got enough in the tank just to turn up and get the job done. 

Ah well great minds think a like eh😂

I absolutely agree.

No Idle Talk

I can't argue with the sentiment behind Gnanduillet's comments. I have been saying for weeks that we need to use our wingers as actual wingers and get more crosses into the box. If we do that, Gnanduillet and Boyce will gobble them up and we will become a more free scoring team.

1 minute ago, Sertse said:

One thing all our players are good at, talking

Get whoever is in charge of media training a promotion. 

Pasquale for King
On 02/03/2021 at 16:28, Agentjambo said:

What exactly is his preferred system anyway? 4-3-3 or 4-2-3-1 or 4-1-3-2? I know for certain he can't play either 4-3-3 or 4-2-3-1 and accommodate both Boyce and Nando as both in my opinion are number 9's.

Agreed but I don’t think Boyce plays or sees himself as a number 9. He can’t play with his back to goal as his touch is poor and doesn’t want to go in behind. Playing off Gnanduillet or a striker that goes in behind (which we will need next season) is his best position. But as the big man says we need more crosses, and better ones, the training video showed an amateur level of drills. 

Pasquale for King
On 02/03/2021 at 17:23, Sertse said:

I wouldn’t want to listen to Walker speak all that often, the latest attempt to big up his 50 goals to deflect attention from what’s happening on the pitch was cringeworthy. 

Nookie Bear

These tall strikers are always telling us how they are not just big target men but are actually decent with their feet.

It's about time they accepted that you need to have a more rounded game these days.

On 02/03/2021 at 13:23, Barack said:

Will be demanding a move back to middle England if we carry on...

🙏

On 02/03/2021 at 17:23, Sertse said:

I never understand why people get upset by players, mangers or owners talking to the press in a positive manner...journalists ask questions, ask for interviews and Hearts will have media obligations; it would be a bit boring if all they ever did was say ‘I’ll just do my talking on the pitch in case I upset the fans with some positive chat’ or give some depressingly negative interview. 🤷‍♂️

On 02/03/2021 at 15:44, jambonian said:

So, just in from work and read Gnando's views. he is right in that we don't get enough balls in the box but it all starts from midfield. There's no pace in midfield. Folk have criticized GMS and other wingers but when the midfield is so slow and ponderous the opposition gets time to assume their positions again and fullbacks and defenders double up on wingers who try to get the ball in the box. The wingers are essentially having to beat two players on their own and still get the ball in, then get criticized for not doing enough. GMS at previous clubs always had midfielders running with him, someone to 1 - 2 with or link with. Now he has no in-ball as the midfield are standing about like extra defenders watching, a forward has to come deep to try to help out which in return, leaves us short of targets in the box. It's catch 22. We are basically playing no-bodies and still find it difficult to find a formation that works. All too complicated when there's no need for it to be. But that's what we're stuck with and it won't change no matter what players are signed or let go. A simple 4-4-2/4-3-3 system would suit the players we have. No need for two wingers or two defensive midfielders, not even in the Premier league. 

.......................Gordon

.....Smith,Popescu, Haklett, Kingsley

Walker, McEneff, Haring, Mackay-Steven

.............Gnanduillet, Boyce

Potential subs if needed, GMS/White, Haring/Halliday,Naismith/either striker, McEneff/Irving, Kastaneer/Walker. Pretty straight forward stuff really.

93.5% of all goals are scored from within the eighteen yard box. Of course he's right. 

alwaysthereinspirit

Talks the talk for a big guy who won’t challenge for a 60/40 ball in his favor. 
Hope he shows me up Saturday.