Bruno v Tyson

JALBO

A pretty good documentary on Sky. Remember watching the first fight back in '96 really believing Bruno could do it. Second time round, Bruno should never have gotten into the ring. Tyson just looked ominous/truly frightening. Quite sad & thought-provoking to see how things turned out for Bruno, and the challenges of dealing with life after boxing was all over. A little sobering in the end, but worth a watch.

I remember watching Bruno vs Lewis and thinking how the ref should have stopped it earlier. I found it quite upsetting that Lewis kept kind of stabilising Brunos head with his left to get the aim on his right.

Think Bruno was practically KOd but somehow standing. Ref stopped, had a word with Lewis about holding and then let him back for another few punches when Bruno clearly couldn't defend himself properly.

haveyouheard1874

I think if Bruno believed in himself more he may have beat  the convicted  and jailed  rapist, that so many love and follow 

Edited by haveyouheard1874

The first fight was 89, the one and only time I got up at 4am to listen to a fight on the radio.

Bruno did reasonably well bearing in mind this was probably peak Tyson.

9 minutes ago, fancy a brew said:

The first fight was 89, the one and only time I got up at 4am to listen to a fight on the radio.

Bruno did reasonably well bearing in mind this was probably peak Tyson.

Yeah, that's right, '89. The wonderfully impartial Harry Carpenter commentary was classic.

I can't wait to watch this documentary. Bruno did indeed rock Tyson, what a ****ing size he was. Worked against him if he didn't stop guys quick as he'd be knackered by about round 8.

Bruno was a guest on soccer AM on Saturday, it was painful to watch. He’s clearly taken too many punches to the head.

13 hours ago, haveyouheard1874 said:

I think if Bruno believed in himself more he may have beat  the convicted  and jailed  rapist, that so many love and follow 

I really don't think he would have, no matter how much he believed. Bruno was an incredible athlete and had huge punching power in his right hand (bit like Wilder now) but his overall boxing wasn't anywhere near the level of Tyson. 

Watched boxing all my life and have seen every one of both Bruno's and Tyson's televised fights. I like Frank but he had absolutely no chance of beating Tyson.

Frank was big and strong but had pretty much zero mobility. He would have been gone in the first round that first fight if he hadn't spent so much time holding on to Tyson.

I think I may have instinctively tried to hold on to him too. Heavyweights typically throw punches in twos. Jab followed by right.

Prime Tyson was throwing blindingly fast 6 punch combinations inside 1 second. The second punch in the combination was already being launched even before the first had reached the target. All while bobbing and weaving in constant motion which made him a very hard target to hit.

Something many people are unaware of is how elusive he was. They labeled him as just a slugger. His old trainer Cus D'Amato described it nicely.

"Hits from where he was, not where he is"

17 hours ago, haveyouheard1874 said:

The only ***** Bruno knocked out was his Mrs. 

1 hour ago, ri Alban said:

The only ***** Bruno knocked out was his Mrs. 

👏😄

Weirdo.

:biggrin: 

luckyBatistuta
18 hours ago, Smack said:

I can't wait to watch this documentary. Bruno did indeed rock Tyson, what a ****ing size he was. Worked against him if he didn't stop guys quick as he'd be knackered by about round 8.

Do you mean Tyson? He’s not as big as you think if you were to see him in the flesh. 

20 hours ago, Der Kaiser said:

I remember watching Bruno vs Lewis and thinking how the ref should have stopped it earlier. I found it quite upsetting that Lewis kept kind of stabilising Brunos head with his left to get the aim on his right.

Think Bruno was practically KOd but somehow standing. Ref stopped, had a word with Lewis about holding and then let him back for another few punches when Bruno clearly couldn't defend himself properly.

Lewis was an incredible boxer. Would loved to have seen him in his prime against Tyson in his.

I wanted Bruno to win against Tyson in that first fight and probably even slightly believed he could, what an idiot. You could have given Bruno a dozen fights against him and it will still have been the same outcome. 

1 minute ago, luckyBatistuta said:

Do you mean Tyson? He’s not as big as you think if you were to see him in the flesh.

Nah, Bruno. His physique.

6 minutes ago, luckyBatistuta said:

Lewis was an incredible boxer. Would loved to have seen him in his prime against Tyson in his.

I wanted Bruno to win against Tyson in that first fight and probably even slightly believed he could, what an idiot. You could have given Bruno a dozen fights against him and it will still have been the same outcome. 

Lewis doesn't beat prime Tyson. This is just my opinion but no boxer past or present beats prime Tyson. 

Edit to add - his prime being 1986 to 1989

Edited by AlimOzturk

luckyBatistuta
Just now, Smack said:

Ah, sorry. His physique was unbelievable, but always thought he was just too much muscle to be a top boxer.

3 minutes ago, Smack said:

He had a tremendous physique but as has been proven time and again, muscle doesn't win fights.

Only have to see Joshua getting sparked by Ruiz for the perfect example.

1 minute ago, AlimOzturk said:

He had a tremendous physique but as has been proven time and again, muscle doesn't win fights.

Only have to see Joshua getting sparked by Ruiz for the perfect example.

Yeah, that's pretty much what I meant. He struggled stamina wise to carry so much muscle.

luckyBatistuta
2 minutes ago, AlimOzturk said:

Lewis doesn't beat prime Tyson. This is just my opinion but no boxer past or present beats prime Tyson. 

Tyson was a machine, but quite a few of his opponents seemed to have defeated themselves before they even stepped through the ropes. They stepped in with fear of what was to come and quite rightly so. Once that invincibility was gone against Douglas, his opponents were going in with a confidence that they could do the same. I don’t believe Lewis would have feared getting in with Tyson even if he had still been undefeated, he was a different animal altogether. I love the both of them as boxers and would loved to have seen that fight, would have been spectacular. 

11 hours ago, Ron Burgundy said:

Frank Bruno just comes across as one of life's nice guys. Cracking sense of humour.

Aye, it’s something to be envious of, eh Ron?

On 02/03/2021 at 11:29, JFK-1 said:

Watched boxing all my life and have seen every one of both Bruno's and Tyson's televised fights. I like Frank but he had absolutely no chance of beating Tyson.

Frank was big and strong but had pretty much zero mobility. He would have been gone in the first round that first fight if he hadn't spent so much time holding on to Tyson.

I think I may have instinctively tried to hold on to him too. Heavyweights typically throw punches in twos. Jab followed by right.

Prime Tyson was throwing blindingly fast 6 punch combinations inside 1 second. The second punch in the combination was already being launched even before the first had reached the target. All while bobbing and weaving in constant motion which made him a very hard target to hit.

Something many people are unaware of is how elusive he was. They labeled him as just a slugger. His old trainer Cus D'Amato described it nicely.

"Hits from where he was, not where he is"

Yeah totally agree, Tyson at his very best was one of the hardest hitters in boxing but still had the hand speed never really seen before or since at heavyweight, especially on the inside where he was just unreal

24 minutes ago, Ribble said:

Yeah totally agree, Tyson at his very best was one of the hardest hitters in boxing but still had the hand speed never really seen before or since at heavyweight, especially on the inside where he was just unreal

There was a previous fighter who while lacking Tyson's power, was pretty fast with the punches.

He was a very modest and unassuming character, so he maybe didn't achieve widespread recognition.

1 hour ago, fancy a brew said:

There was a previous fighter who while lacking Tyson's power, was pretty fast with the punches.

He was a very modest and unassuming character, so he maybe didn't achieve widespread recognition.

Another who liked to put his hands on women. 

55 minutes ago, ri Alban said:

Another who liked to put his hands on women. 

I’m not sure of your point. I presume you’re including Tyson in this. A man jailed for rape, who once described a punch he gave his wife as the best of his life.