East of Scotland Shield 1985

bigdav

Going through old programmes and found  one dated 9th April vs Hibs but no year-going by info on upcoming games it seems to be from 1985 but can't find the result anywhere inc London Hearts. Can anyone help? Tried to upload a pic but couldn't get it to work.

I know. It's a 4 pager-priced 15p and mentions upcoming games 20/4 Dens Park & 27/4 Ibrox which were 1985 .Also mentions cup semi Aberdeen v Dundee Utd which was help at Tynecastle that year. It talks about it being for Under 23s.

In the 1980's and 90's the competition fell off the rails a bit as it was decided to downgrade it from a first team fixture and it wasn't competed for occasionally.  The match was definitely postponed, or more correctly cancelled as it was never rescheduled, and the next match was held in Leith in May 1985. I've no idea why it called off at such short notice.

Had a wee look at the wiki page.

I noticed Hearts have been credited as winning the 2001/02 edition but there's no result.

I was there. Freezing cold night at Easter Road about a week before Christmas.

Hibs 1 Hearts 3. 

Hibs had a big huddie called Gary O'connor up front. Remember saying to my mate "he's no future in the game".

Hibs scored first, Hearts took over and Stevie Fulton was the captain.

Used to quite enjoy the shield games. Big crowds when they were played during those seasons that Hearts and Hibs were in different divisions. Attended a few over the years:

1981/82 Hibs 1 Hearts 2

There's a thread about that riotous night somewhere.

1985/86 Hibs 1 Hearts 2

It was played between Dens and the Aberdeen final. We had a reserve team out, Hibs their strongest XI and we still won comfortably.

1988/89 Hearts 3 Hibs 3

Crabbo scored a hat-trick and again as we won the penalty shoot out. 

The aforementioned 2001/02

2004/05 Hearts 1 Hibs 3

Craig Levein mentioned this game after we beat them in the League two months later. Something along the lines of Tony Mowbray being all chatty, convivial, having a wee post match drink etc. but was a stony faced grump when Hearts won 2-1 in the league in October '04.

Perhaps the 1985/86 game was the one the op referred to and was played the year after? 

Edited by martoon

10 minutes ago, martoon said:

Used to quite enjoy the shield games. Big crowds when they were played during those seasons that Hearts and Hibs were in different divisions. Attended a few over the years:

1981/82 Hibs 1 Hearts 2

1985/86 Hibs 1 Hearts 2

It was played between Dens and the Aberdeen final. We had a reserve team out, Hibs their strongest XI and we still won comfortably.

1988/89 Hearts 3 Hibs 3

2004/05 Hearts 1 Hibs 3

Craig Levein mentioned this game after we beat them in the League two months later. Something along the lines of Tony Mowbray being all chatty, convivial, having a wee post match drink etc. but was a stony faced grump when Hearts won 2-1 in the league in October '04.

Perhaps the 1985/86 game was the one the op referred to and was played the year after? 

Possibly but would they have held on to the programme for a year?  I don't think I would have the programme unless I attended the match.

1 minute ago, bigdav said:

Possibly but would they have held on to the programme for a year?  I don't think I would have the programme unless I attended the match.

It's a puzzler, right enough.

@heartsheritage/Dave might be able to help.

The match was postponed, there was a ew reserve fixtures between the clubs that saw a lot of first team players involved but as stated previously the Shield games were meant to be for the reserves/U21's to battle it out for.

Edited by dannymack

2 hours ago, bigdav said:

As I said, the game was cancelled; it was never played. I mistakenly wrote that the next Shield match was at Easter Road in May 1985 - I meant to write May 1986. The programme was freely available at the time and that's when I got my copy, but I cannot remember where I got it from. Possibly the club shop in the old Police Station?   

7 minutes ago, henryheart said:

As I said, the game was cancelled; it was never played. I mistakenly wrote that the next Shield match was at Easter Road in May 1985 - I meant to write May 1986. The programme was freely available at the time and that's when I got my copy, but I cannot remember where I got it from. Possibly the club shop in the old Police Station?   

Thanks for that. A nice quirky one to have in the collection then.

Where was it meant to be played?

My big memory of these early 80s games was all the shop windows in Easter Road being smashed afterwards win or lose. 

30 minutes ago, Mikey1874 said:

Where was it meant to be played?

My big memory of these early 80s games was all the shop windows in Easter Road being smashed afterwards win or lose. 

It was meant to be at Tynecastle.

WorldChampions1902
18 hours ago, bigdav said:

Going through old programmes and found  one dated 9th April vs Hibs but no year-going by info on upcoming games it seems to be from 1985 but can't find the result anywhere inc London Hearts. Can anyone help? Tried to upload a pic but couldn't get it to work.

The programme is listed in John Ure’s Hearts Programme Guide Book with an entry, “Postponed (U-21 Teams)”.

Hagar the Horrible
22 hours ago, martoon said:

1981/82 Hibs 1 Hearts 2

1985/86 Hibs 1 Hearts 2

1988/89 Hearts 3 Hibs 3

2004/05 Hearts 1 Hibs 3

The one that we got a wee tad boisterous was the Tom Hart memorial trophy we even had an entry in the Shoot annual with a cartoon of Hibs goalkeeper MacArthur? Having to hold a brolly as it rained darts and golf balls. Lennon was lucky he never played in the 70/80s. Old age kicking in on the keeper name

36 minutes ago, Hagar the Horrible said:

The one that we got a wee tad boisterous was the Tom Hart memorial trophy we even had an entry in the Shoot annual with a cartoon of Hibs goalkeeper MacArthur? Having to hold a brolly as it rained darts and golf balls. Lennon was lucky he never played in the 70/80s. Old age kicking in on the keeper name

Remember it well, Hagar. My second derby aged 14.

First was the shield game the previous October.

Both riotous affairs. 

It was the first experience many of my Hibs pals at school had of Hearts fans.

They were a mixture of awestruck and terrified.

Jim MacArthur it was, bud.