Horse trainer in trouble

Beni

The trainer of 2 times grand national winner Tiger Roll is in hot water after a photo has emerged of him posing for a photo sitting astride a dead horse.

His implausible explanation of how he came to be sitting on it is up there with folk who turn up at A&E with Hoovers stuck in improbable orifices.

https://www.irishmirror.ie/sport/horse-racing/gordon-elliot-sacked-betfair-ambassador-23584104

Edited by fancy a brew
Sp

• Replies 109
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Maroon Sailor

• Weakened Offender

• Malinga the Swinga

• Dusk_Till_Dawn

11 minutes ago, fancy a brew said:

The trainer of 2 times grand national winner Tiger Roll is in hot water after a photo has emerged of him posing for a photo sitting astride a dead horse.

His implausible explanation of how he came to be sitting on it is up there with folk who turn up at A&E with Hoovers stuck in improbable orifices.

https://www.irishmirror.ie/sport/horse-racing/gordon-elliot-sacked-betfair-ambassador-23584104

The insinuation isn't that he shagged a dead horse. Is it? 🥴

Malinga the Swinga

His main backer, Gigginstown Stud, are continuing to back him. That's owned by Michael O'leary and his brother. 

At best for Elliot, he'll get large fine, at worst for him, he will be suspended and lose licence. 

Absolutely stupid thing to have done and he risks losing reputation as well as harming sport. 

Reaction to him, if he comes to Cheltenham or Aintree will be interesting. 

Mick Fitzgerald was almost in tears talking about it this morning. 

HamishMcGonagall

Can't believe anyone, never mind a high profile trainer such as he, would sit upon a dead horse like that. Horse racing as a sport has to fight against people's perceptions of animal cruelty. A photo like that does nothing to help their claim of giving horses a better life than they'd otherwise have out with the sport or how they are so well looked after etc.

I like a bet. Infact my username here is after a horse which once won me a fair bit of money at Musselburgh races. But that picture sickens me. And his excuse is a feeble one. 

I'm not sure what I'm missing as I'm not really a horse or horse racing person but from what I've read a horse died from being made (presumably) to gallop until it had a heart attack...yet people are not outraged by that but instead because a man sat on the dead horse?

Distasteful? Yes, but the cause of it's death seems much worse. What am I missing?

2 minutes ago, Taffin said:

I'm not sure what I'm missing as I'm not really a horse or horse racing person but from what I've read a horse died from being made (presumably) to gallop until it had a heart attack...yet people are not outraged by that but instead because a man sat on the dead horse?

Distasteful? Yes, but the cause of it's death seems much worse. What am I missing?

an analogy would be a surgeon taking a selfie in the operating room with a patient who had just died.

8 minutes ago, milky_26 said:

an analogy would be a surgeon taking a selfie in the operating room with a patient who had just died.

If the surgeon, or their colleague had just made the patient exercise themselves to death, sure. I'd still be more concerned about that than the photo though.

AlphonseCapone
18 minutes ago, Taffin said:

You're not missing anything. Most folk that are outraged by the photo are probably outraged at how horses are treated through horse racing. 

It's about time we moved on anyway. Horse racing, polo, greyhound racing etc get them all done away with. 

22 minutes ago, Taffin said:

I don't think you can say it was being ridden until it had a heart attack, that implies a heart attack was the objective.

Anyone that disagrees with horse racing in principle will probably not be too worried by the photo in comparison to the sport in general.

Here's the jockey Mick Fitzgerald's take on it.

10 minutes ago, AlphonseCapone said:

You're not missing anything. Most folk that are outraged by the photo are probably outraged at how horses are treated through horse racing. 

I'm not so sure, from the couple of articles I'd read and some of the posts above, it seems the racing community are outraged too...and I don't get that part. Or are they just outraged it puts this kind of treatment into the media?

10 minutes ago, AlphonseCapone said:

It's about time we moved on anyway. Horse racing, polo, greyhound racing etc get them all done away with. 

44 minutes ago, Taffin said:

I'm not so sure, from the couple of articles I'd read and some of the posts above, it seems the racing community are outraged too...and I don't get that part. Or are they just outraged it puts this kind of treatment into the media?

They are outraged as it was a terrible thing to do and its been done by one of the top trainers.   

Jeffros Furios

Its a shocking photo especially as he's one of the best trainers with some cracking horses in his stable. 

I'd imagine after the outrage a few other owners will pull thier horses .

Its strange what bothers people I have watched races where horses are required at top speed to jump over high fences which conceal water filled ditches, horses sometimes fall and receive injuries that require them having to be destroyed.Other races involve speed egged on by a jockey whipping them with a specially designed weapon and yet people are abhorred that a man is sitting on a horse that has been relieved from the cruelties by the kindness of death.

I P Knightley
9 minutes ago, Sharpie said:

Its strange what bothers people I have watched races where horses are required at top speed to jump over high fences which conceal water filled ditches, horses sometimes fall and receive injuries that require them having to be destroyed.Other races involve speed egged on by a jockey whipping them with a specially designed weapon and yet people are abhorred that a man is sitting on a horse that has been relieved from the cruelties by the kindness of death.

This is a similar angle to Taffin's.

The poor cuddy's met his maker from a heart attack while galloping; presumably being pushed to and beyond a limit.

The trainer sitting on the corpse is callous but it's no more callous than the situations you've summarised in your post.

I have no idea how many horses suffer the same fate of death in training or racing. I suspect it unlikely that that will be investigated, though. The only issue seems to be Eliot sitting on the corpse.

jambos are go!

I love a punt and horse racing and find the picture disgusting. He will be a brave man to show his face on a racehorse anytime soon.

Suspect he will get a ban but remain in charge in the background.

1 hour ago, Jeffros Furios said:

Its a shocking photo especially as he's one of the best trainers with some cracking horses in his stable. 

I'd imagine after the outrage a few other owners will pull thier horses .

That's a bit of an extreme move by the owners to show their horses that they do care about them, but whatever works I suppose.

Jeffros Furios
5 minutes ago, redjambo said:

That's a bit of an extreme move by the owners to show their horses that they do care about them, but whatever works I suppose.

:omfg:

glynnlondon

Lunacy from him why he did it God knows.

He does have a bit of the tinker about him which could explain it

5 hours ago, graygo said:

The insinuation isn't that he shagged a dead horse. Is it? 🥴

Might have been a little less embarrassing than his pathetic statement. A la Wayne Hennessey.

4 hours ago, HamishMcGonagall said:

Can't believe anyone, never mind a high profile trainer such as he, would sit upon a dead horse like that. Horse racing as a sport has to fight against people's perceptions of animal cruelty. A photo like that does nothing to help their claim of giving horses a better life than they'd otherwise have out with the sport or how they are so well looked after etc.

I like a bet. Infact my username here is after a horse which once won me a fair bit of money at Musselburgh races. But that picture sickens me. And his excuse is a feeble one. 

I'm never usually one to get sensitive to animal rights or that, but I can't really get into horse racing because of the needless death of these beautiful creatures.

Never used to phase me much, but I remember a couple of years back, some jockey had a serious fall and was in a bad way. I read, and heard lots of comments really wishing the jockey a speedy recovery, but never once heard the horse mentioned, as if the horse's life means **** all. I'm sure most trainers and owners, if not all, truly care for these animals, but as I said, it just seems a fairly sad and meaningless loss of life to a great animal.

Malinga the Swinga
6 minutes ago, Locky said:

I'm never usually one to get sensitive to animal rights or that, but I can't really get into horse racing because of the needless death of these beautiful creatures.

Never used to phase me much, but I remember a couple of years back, some jockey had a serious fall and was in a bad way. I read, and heard lots of comments really wishing the jockey a speedy recovery, but never once heard the horse mentioned, as if the horse's life means **** all. I'm sure most trainers and owners, if not all, truly care for these animals, but as I said, it just seems a fairly sad and meaningless loss of life to a great animal.

You'd be surprised. Most involved in Horse Racing Place a far higher regard to the horse than the jockey. These horses, especially from a stable such as Elliots are treated as superstars and get the best of everything. 

3 minutes ago, Malinga the Swinga said:

You'd be surprised. Most involved in Horse Racing Place a far higher regard to the horse than the jockey. These horses, especially from a stable such as Elliots are treated as superstars and get the best of everything. 

Yeah, I'd imagine the professionals see it that way, which is good. The horse is surely the most important thing. I would imagine that most human beings would regard the safety and wellbeing of a horse very highly.

HamishMcGonagall
5 minutes ago, Locky said:

I can't disagree with that. I was brought up with horse racing as the second sport behind football in my household. My uncle owned race horses and I was always brought along to the racing and allowed to have a wee £1 placepot on when I was younger. I do find myself distancing from it more and more as the years go by though and this is definitely another big push away from the sport.

Much more suffering caused by gambling.

Strange affair. I must have been brought up in a pretty tough environment. 

Question for me is who took the photo. But life throws up stuff. 

Maroon Sailor
13 hours ago, Locky said:

At the same token if you are going to be a horse there are worse things to do than running around racetracks.

Horses and donkeys have been abused in a working environment all over the world.

jack D and coke
14 hours ago, Locky said:

I heard some horror stories about people who kept greyhounds so it wouldn’t surprise me if horse racing folk were similar sorts. You can’t say that about everyone obviously but for some people they’ll be nothing but tools to earn them money and their welfare will be way down the list of priorities. 

Edited by jack D and coke

Henry. Henry.

Racing Post breaking news about a jockey being filmed doing the same as Elliot.  Irish Racing Board investigating.       

Maroon Sailor
2 minutes ago, Henry. Henry. said:

Racing Post breaking news about a jockey being filmed doing the same as Elliot.  Irish Racing Board investigating.       

You wonder WTF is up with some people 

Racing in Ireland is much less stringently regulated than in the UK, whether that’s on horse care, doping, irregular betting etc. David Walsh did a good article on the doping aspect recently. 

Elliot is a ****ing arsehole for having that picture taken.

2 hours ago, Henry. Henry. said:

The video is gone from Twitter now. It was worse than the photo.

1 hour ago, Henry. Henry. said:

Video of it in the below report.

Makes the 'one rogue trainer partaking in a wee bit of bants' defence less convincing, and maybe people will conclude horse racing is just a means to allow for a lot of gambling with the horses just an afterthought.

https://www.buzz.ie/amp/sport/video-emerges-of-jockey-rob-james-riding-on-top-of-dead-horse-420230?__twitter_impression=true

Dusk_Till_Dawn

If it wasn’t for the gambling industry, horse racing wouldn’t exist. That’s all it’s about. Loads of scum involved in the industry

Maroon Sailor
10 minutes ago, Dusk_Till_Dawn said:

If it wasn’t for the gambling industry, horse racing wouldn’t exist. That’s all it’s about. Loads of scum involved in the industry

Always been the sport of kings

2 hours ago, jack D and coke said:

I heard some horror stories about people who kept greyhounds so it wouldn’t surprise me if horse racing folk were similar sorts. You can’t say that about everyone obviously but for some people they’ll be nothing but tools to earn them money and their welfare will be way down the list of priorities. 

This is, what I don't understand about these types of people.. 

Surely the animals, are an asset and as, such deserve to be kept decent, also a fitter happier animal will surely perform better.. 

Although I watched a documentary on horse racing some time ago and it said the horses run due to fear.. 

I actually detest horse and dog racing... Although my grandad used to race pony and traps so it's been in the family... 

Weakened Offender
21 hours ago, Taffin said:

Totally agree. Horse racing is a bizarre and outdated nonsense. 

Dusk_Till_Dawn

You saw the way the wanks who ran Cheltenham rammed 10s of thousands into their racecourse last year as the pandemic took hold. 

jack D and coke
19 minutes ago, Dusk_Till_Dawn said:

You saw the way the wanks who ran Cheltenham rammed 10s of thousands into their racecourse last year as the pandemic took hold. 

Jockey club donates to tory party. Dispatches programme on C4 claimed that’s why it was allowed to go ahead. 

He's totally fecked, I guess someone has sat on this photo for a while and waited until he's done something behind the scenes to warrant blowing it all apart.

I absolutely love horses, spectacular animals.

Maroon Sailor
30 minutes ago, Weakened Offender said:

What's bizarre and outdated about it ?

Malinga the Swinga
50 minutes ago, Weakened Offender said:

If we are Can we ban boxing, any martial arts, rugby, or athletics, or any other sport that abuses participants or encourages drug taking. 

Football has shady past in bringing over young African players into Europe and leaving them high and dry so perhaps we could ban that as well. 

Every sport has its villains, and you can't ban one industry because of them. 

jack D and coke
1 minute ago, Malinga the Swinga said:

If we are Can we ban boxing, any martial arts, rugby, or athletics, or any other sport that abuses participants or encourages drug taking. 

Football has shady past in bringing over young African players into Europe and leaving them high and dry so perhaps we could ban that as well. 

Every sport has its villains, and you can't ban one industry because of them. 

Very true.
Can add the movie industry with kids. 
It’s all about the money. Where’s theres a lot of money there’s plenty suffering. 

Weakened Offender
27 minutes ago, Maroon Sailor said:

What's bizarre and outdated about it ?

It's cruel to animals. 

Weakened Offender
3 minutes ago, jack D and coke said:

Very true.
Can add the movie industry with kids. 
It’s all about the money. Where’s theres a lot of money there’s plenty suffering. 

Not sure if the kids in today's film industry are going through what previous generations went through but it certainly was criminal stuff years ago. 

Dusk_Till_Dawn
32 minutes ago, Armageddon said:

He's totally fecked, I guess someone has sat on this photo for a while and waited until he's done something behind the scenes to warrant blowing it all apart.

I absolutely love horses, spectacular animals.

No idea if this is true but....

according to THE TWITTER, he’s been er, riding something else recently and it’s his missus who’s leaked this