Close the academy

robbogoal

We have the best academy in Scotland, it just takes the right coaches to develop the players. 

Unfortunately we don't have them. 

• Replies 212
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Bongo 1874

• jamboinglasgow

• Hesh

• Byyy The Light

6 hours ago, Hesh said:

This is a bit from the Courier today in a bit about the Utd academy

But with the well-funded Tannadice academy project now kicking into high gear, Bond is hopeful the club will soon be rewarded for their commitment to youth development.

“It was never a long-term strategy (to run wages to turnover at a high level). That couldn’t be a strategy for anybody,” he explained.

“It was a mixture of one-off costs coming into the club, a deliberate investment in the squad and also the academy.

“The academy was so badly run and under-invested. A big increase in the wage bill has been the academy – part-time and full-time coaches, medical people

“We’ve very quickly got the academy up to elite status, which is almost unheard of. We’re up punching with Rangers and Celtic in terms of young players.

“Look at the players coming out of there now. If you sell one of those every year, the academy has paid for itself.

“We’ve had 10 academy graduates make debuts this season. That’s the fact a lot of people miss.

“The investment in the academy has probably been five to six-hundred-thousand pounds. And that’s not a one-off cost, that’s an annual investment.

“We’ve deliberately, even through Covid, kept the place going. Some of the guys are working flexi-furlough but they’re still in working with the boys.

“That’s a hugely, hugely important part of the club.

“But when your turnover is down and you’re investing in the academy without getting an immediate return, it’s obviously going to be reflected in the accounts.”

sounds like they are still training 

A lot of this could have been written by Hearts a few years ago. One of the key tenets of the “5 year plan” was to re-invigorate the Academy. But despite some very promising players emerging it isn’t working. We are not bringing talent through to the first team often enough and when we do, like Irving, we seem incapable of realising full value from players through the contracts that are signed (hope this proves wrong about Irving but the signs are not good). I’m not close enough to know why this is but reading the signals (and this thread) it seems there are questions to be asked about coaching, decision making and the way that players are treated. Re the latter point, whether we consider them good enough to not, the way that Moore and Wighton were recently shown the door is disrespectful to say the least. I hoped that this lack of respect had gone with CL but it seems not.

Not sure how much influence Savage has on Youth Development but i hope he has the chance to improve it because the club is wasting huge amounts of money.

9 minutes ago, Pilmuir said:

A lot of this could have been written by Hearts a few years ago. One of the key tenets of the “5 year plan” was to re-invigorate the Academy. But despite some very promising players emerging it isn’t working. We are not bringing talent through to the first team often enough and when we do, like Irving, we seem incapable of realising full value from players through the contracts that are signed (hope this proves wrong about Irving but the signs are not good). I’m not close enough to know why this is but reading the signals (and this thread) it seems there are questions to be asked about coaching, decision making and the way that players are treated. Re the latter point, whether we consider them good enough to not, the way that Moore and Wighton were recently shown the door is disrespectful to say the least. I hoped that this lack of respect had gone with CL but it seems not.

Not sure how much influence Savage has on Youth Development but i hope he has the chance to improve it because the club is wasting huge amounts of money.

Ask yourself who have been there all through this farce. Not cost effective.

underwaterwoodwelder

Once it's mathematically impossible to be caught in the league I think only then we will give more mind to accadamy players.

However it's always good to see one or two come through in the team each week. Obviously it's a hard decision to play youngsters as finacialy we need to be promoted first time of asking...

7 hours ago, Juho_Makela_Goal_Machine said:

He's absolutely spot on that he was ready for a first team place last season. He played in a friendly (might have been a league cup game) against Cowdenbeath and was our best player. A couple weeks later he was punted out on loan. All too often that's been happening with our young players that the answer is just to 'get them games' at a shite level when they would be far better off playing in our own team. They're hardly worse than the dross that's played for us over the last few years.

Agree. I’m thinking Connor smith right now must be so disappointed. Could easily play and impact games for us but punted out on loan when we have weaker players in the first team squad. 

6 hours ago, Juho_Makela_Goal_Machine said:

100%. It's especially apparent when they claim that academy graduates should at least provide squad depth, but then when we have our inevitable injuries and the opportunities arise for these guys to play, they're out on loan in League 2. Cammy Logan is a good example of that this season. I'm yet to see a player go away on loan to lower league club and come back a better player. I think this is one of the main reasons that players can't seem to bridge the gap between the youth team and the first team; as soon as they get a sniff, they get farmed out.

I disagree. I think a number of kids have gone on loan, done well and returned but then not been given a chance when back to show what they can do. Walker, Holt etc went on loan and then played upon their return. Boys need a run of games to allow them to settle & feel confident. 
chris Hamilton has done well at every loan club he’s been at. Connor Smith too. 
They experience first team football when winning makes a difference to someone’s wage packet. 
They then come back and rot. And it’s also my opinion that it’s easier to be a footballer in the premiership over say, league 1 or 2 where, with respect there is a lot less (I know!) football played. 

1 hour ago, underwaterwoodwelder said:

Once it's mathematically impossible to be caught in the league I think only then we will give more mind to accadamy players.

However it's always good to see one or two come through in the team each week. Obviously it's a hard decision to play youngsters as finacialy we need to be promoted first time of asking...

The other thing is it’s likely their pay will significantly increase once they make a first team debut 

Pasquale for King
On 28/02/2021 at 20:21, robbogoal said:

Seen a post on Twitter saying hearts haven’t given a single minute to any teenager this season (in the league). 

Was saying to someone the other day Hearts would be as well closing the academy down. 

That is in no way a dig at the people involved in it as they honestly do a great job recruiting top potential & developing them but there’s no point ploughing so much £ into it for the young players to be constantly overlooked or punted on (often on frees) whilst we sign poorer journeymen in their place.

There’s some great talent there but they’ll simply not be given an opportunity to show what they can do so we’d be better investing whatever is spent on the academy into the first team.

If only we could’ve got a German manager willing to play youngsters and help restructure the football department. 
https://trainingground.guru/articles/stuart-webber-norwich-city-and-the-infinite-game

17 hours ago, Bongo 1874 said:

We have the best academy in Scotland, it just takes the right coaches to develop the players. 

Unfortunately we don't have them. 

Doesn't seem so. As i said in an earlier post...maybe it's time to break the mould and bring in a top youth coach from the likes of Holland or France. Maybe a different approach will benefit the youngsters. It must be soul-destroying for youngsters to know they're doing pretty good yet know they won't get picked to play that often. That to me could suggest that their confidence will take a dive and when this happens their belief in themselves goes too. Next thing they know they are out on loan to someone not knowing if they have a future at Hearts. And while they're away on loan the club has brought in another has-been or never-will-be to play in their position. Can't be easy.

davemclaren
5 minutes ago, Holyrood_Hearts said:

Who was the last youngster to sign a long term deal with the club? 

Jamie Mole. 🥴

Dusk_Till_Dawn

A shit first team

An academy that people want to close

A boring head coach

A main stand which cost a fortune and isn’t finished

THANK YOU SHAN BUDGE

• 2 weeks later...