A Hearts’ Colts Team

rudiatemyhamster

11 hours ago, Spellczech said:

Need fewer teams not more...

I'd agree with that but we are talking about putting in teams with full time youth players, supposedly the best prospects for our country and giving them the opportunity to play competitive men's football at a level they should be striving for.

I'd say the big 5 teams in Scotland (Glasgow, Edinburgh and Aberdeen) should all have Colt teams in the league set up, possibly one of the Dundee teams too if they had the resources.. Currently we have players out on loan at part time clubs to get them this experience however if we could do it within our own set up then it would help us massively. 

The benefits for our youths far outweigh the negatives. Germany, Spain and other nations manage to use this set up well and I don't need to tell you how those national sides are doing. 

With this set up it's possible that we can keep some more of our youth players in Scotland too instead of losing them to English sides. Or bring them back at a young age. 

One of the biggest complaints is that it might help the Old Firm keep a foothold in the game even if they leave. Simply write it into the rules that if they go then so must the Colt teams. Also people say it will benefit them as they have bigger and better youth squads. They can only play 11 players each week, those who don't make the grade at that team will be able to filter back into the other teams in Scotland. Not only that but it should improve the quality of the players on the whole or at least let teams work out if the players have what they require or not. Instead of offering 4 year contracts to youngsters only for them to disappear after 1.

Ex member of the SaS

The fact that the bigot twins want to throw money at this, shows it's a bad idea. They do nothing to promote the sport of the National team ( players pull out at the drop of a hat ) so why are they so keen to throw money at this, unless it's a con to allow them more control.

A great big no F*(&^* way from me.

rudiatemyhamster
15 hours ago, RussAsia said:

I'd agree with that but we are talking about putting in teams with full time youth players, supposedly the best prospects for our country and giving them the opportunity to play competitive men's football at a level they should be striving for.

I'd say the big 5 teams in Scotland (Glasgow, Edinburgh and Aberdeen) should all have Colt teams in the league set up, possibly one of the Dundee teams too if they had the resources.. Currently we have players out on loan at part time clubs to get them this experience however if we could do it within our own set up then it would help us massively. 

The benefits for our youths far outweigh the negatives. Germany, Spain and other nations manage to use this set up well and I don't need to tell you how those national sides are doing. 

With this set up it's possible that we can keep some more of our youth players in Scotland too instead of losing them to English sides. Or bring them back at a young age. 

One of the biggest complaints is that it might help the Old Firm keep a foothold in the game even if they leave. Simply write it into the rules that if they go then so must the Colt teams. Also people say it will benefit them as they have bigger and better youth squads. They can only play 11 players each week, those who don't make the grade at that team will be able to filter back into the other teams in Scotland. Not only that but it should improve the quality of the players on the whole or at least let teams work out if the players have what they require or not. Instead of offering 4 year contracts to youngsters only for them to disappear after 1.

Blimey - the voice of reason.  It has to be the way to go.  Would need clarity on age groups (under 23s for me), loan arrangement (recalling players to first team / demoting - has to be as flexible as possible), and overage players (3?)

fabienleclerq

To me it reads like a way for the OF to hoard young players and try pick up money if teams down south steal them. 

Rogue Daddy

The OF wouldn't be suggesting this if wasn't to be of huge benefit to themselves, first and foremost... if there can't be a 'reserve league' or under21's etc. we should look at options that would reduce the need to send youngsters out on loan to non-professional set-ups. It's worth considering, but not if it's ONLY the uglies that are admitted into the set up. All professional clubs should be given the option, then we can look at the 'cost'. As usual, the uglies are trying to 'bribe' their way in to remove competition.

Randy Marsh

I'm actually for colt teams.  I said a few months ago that we should copy Holland and Portugal's model.  Just have 2 Pro leagues for full-time teams.  The Championship can be made up with colt teams to make up the numbers.  There should be a regional pyramid system underneath that so tin pot shit with no ambition (like Albion Rovers) can find their level.  Clubs seeking to gain promotion to the Championship would then have to commit to full-time status.  That wouldn't be too problematic as the teams likely to top a regional set up would be those such as Brora Rangers and Kelty Hearts etc.  Clubs with ambition. 

40 minutes ago, Rogue Daddy said:

The OF wouldn't be suggesting this if wasn't to be of huge benefit to themselves, first and foremost... if there can't be a 'reserve league' or under21's etc. we should look at options that would reduce the need to send youngsters out on loan to non-professional set-ups. It's worth considering, but not if it's ONLY the uglies that are admitted into the set up. All professional clubs should be given the option, then we can look at the 'cost'. As usual, the uglies are trying to 'bribe' their way in to remove competition.

The OF are copying the big clubs down south by vacuuming up all the talent.  The problem being that while the likes of Man U, Liverpool, Arsenal, etc. loan out their young talent to other English teams, who do the OF have as feeder clubs.

Most leagues in Europe allow their larger clubs to play "B" or Colt teams in the lower divisions.  The only stipulation is that they are not promoted to the top tier.  In Belgium only Brugge has a "B" team while the Dutch have "Jong" Ajax, PSV, Utrecht, AZ, etc. and the Bundesliga is riddled with "II" teams.

I recall from a football yearbooks from the late 50s that Hearts would run both a "B" team and a "C" team in the reserve and EoS leagues.

Das Viertel Hearts
On 28/02/2021 at 09:52, inspector said:

The erse-cheeks will keep nipping away until they get what they want. So much for the pyramid system. No thought given to Junior clubs who have been trying for years to better themselves.

Exactly.  

Proper reserve league would sort this out.  And not treat everyone else as fodder.

Byyy The Light

I'd be happy for it to go ahead if we restructured the whole of Scottish football. Top league of 16, 2nd tier of 12, all must be full time with no plastic pitches.  Colts teams can't progress in to these 2 leagues.  Everyone else finds their level.

Saves loaning our prospects out to part time clubs to travel to Montrose to train on Tuesday and Thursday nights and then sit on the bench on a Saturday.

Rogue Daddy
4 minutes ago, Byyy The Light said:

I'd be happy for it to go ahead if we restructured the whole of Scottish football. Top league of 16, 2nd tier of 12, all must be full time with no plastic pitches.  Colts teams can't progress in to these 2 leagues.  Everyone else finds their level.

Saves loaning our prospects out to part time clubs to travel to Montrose to train on Tuesday and Thursday nights and then sit on the bench on a Saturday.

Yeah, agree with this... I would also add that you don't get to 'buy' your way into a league ahead of others. You start at the bottom with the rest.

TBH we should be looking to change our 4 tier 'professional' set up first, this should be a priority along with a new board and rules... get the voting guidelines tae fcuk along with the uglies ever-present-board-member-'swappsies' every couple of years. As you say, 2 'professional' full-time leagues, no split and a pyramid below. The colts can join the pyramid... at the bottom.

Byyy The Light
36 minutes ago, Rogue Daddy said:

Yeah, agree with this... I would also add that you don't get to 'buy' your way into a league ahead of others. You start at the bottom with the rest.

TBH we should be looking to change our 4 tier 'professional' set up first, this should be a priority along with a new board and rules... get the voting guidelines tae fcuk along with the uglies ever-present-board-member-'swappsies' every couple of years. As you say, 2 'professional' full-time leagues, no split and a pyramid below. The colts can join the pyramid... at the bottom.

Sack Doncaster and appoint us. Job done.

Rogue Daddy
1 minute ago, Byyy The Light said:

Sack Doncaster and appoint us. Job done.

Hey, we certainly couldn't do a worse job! I'm sure JKB would sponsor the league (to the tune of £100)... but it would still be more than that tw*t has come up with.👍