A Hearts’ Colts Team

rudiatemyhamster

rudiatemyhamster

https://www.thescottishsun.co.uk/sport/football/6749981/celtic-rangers-3-million-spfl-colt-teams/

Interesting article.  With no reserve football, is this something which could be of benefit to the Jambos.

I would say yes from a team development point of view.

Edited by rudiatemyhamster

• rudiatemyhamster changed the title to A Hearts’ Colts Team

No, I don't think it is a good idea. It's more because the OF will use it to keep a foothold in the Scottish game while they do their best to jump ship to anywhere that will have them. 

The erse-cheeks will keep nipping away until they get what they want. So much for the pyramid system. No thought given to Junior clubs who have been trying for years to better themselves.

kingantti1874
3 minutes ago, Cruyff said:

No, I don't think it is a good idea. It's more because the OF will use it to keep a foothold in the Scottish game while they do their best to jump ship to anywhere that will have them. 

European leagues are coming. Just a matter of time. Nope to god hearts are part of it in some way or we are finished. 

Ex member of the SaS

This is OF driven and would be at the cost of junior teams trying to improve. As stated above they would use it to keep a foothold here while the " big " team try to wrangle a move south. If they moved and it failed they would simply move back using their colt team. For me anything the bigot twins want, can take a hike, as the benefit to the rest would be worth less than the cost.

When Scottish football gets a grip and realises that part-time teams have no place alongside full-time teams then I’d be ok with a colts team playing in a separate league with the likes of East Fife and Cowdenbeath etc.

53 minutes ago, kingantti1874 said:

European leagues are coming. Just a matter of time. Nope to god hearts are part of it in some way or we are finished. 

I'd hope not.

part_time_jambo

They should be restricted to the Lowland league with no promotion to the SPFL, and if they finish top, the next team in line should get the promotion place. No escape for the Brechins of the league.

Fxxx the SPFL
1 hour ago, kingantti1874 said:

i'd rather play in the English leagues than a European one easier to travel to away games love travelling by train

jamboinglasgow
17 minutes ago, Footballfirst said:

Not much point in a colts team just now while the club's management has no confidence in its youth players

I have been in favour of colts in the past but this reeks of the old firm worried about the number of young players who have left so rather then provide first game opportunities that would keep them, they are using a colt team to hoard players.

2 hours ago, Cruyff said:

This!  Their colt teams will get more coverage in a week from the Scottish media than some clubs have had in a decade.

Bazzas right boot
2 hours ago, kingantti1874 said:

Really hope we're not.

2 minutes ago, Auldbenches said:

This!  Their colt teams will get more coverage in a week from the Scottish media than some clubs have had in a decade.

Also puts more money in their coffers if there's other pro OF teams potentially playing home games at Ibrox and Parkhead. Remember in the 90's early 00's when Rangers were getting reserve gates of 40,000 at Ibrox?

William H. Bonney
21 minutes ago, **** the SPFL said:

i'd rather play in the English leagues than a European one easier to travel to away games love travelling by train

yeah, can you imagine travelling all the time as an away fan. 
‘That’s me away to the game love’ 

‘oh, when will you be back?’ 
‘Monday’ 

Just now, Cruyff said:

Also puts more money in their coffers if there's other pro OF teams potentially playing home games at Ibrox and Parkhead. Remember in the 90's early 00's when Rangers were getting reserve gates of 40,000 at Ibrox?

If it's just them, it shows that our game will always revolve around those two, even if they left the league.  

2 hours ago, kingantti1874 said:

Hope not. 

Birkakara away next week? Cracking. 

5 hours ago, DH1986 said:

When Scottish football gets a grip and realises that part-time teams have no place alongside full-time teams then I’d be ok with a colts team playing in a separate league with the likes of East Fife and Cowdenbeath etc.

Yes. I agree with that. Hearts youngsters need regular worthwhile competition if they're ever going to break into the first team.  Playing against the sort of minnows you mention might be a way of preparing them physically.

6 hours ago, kingantti1874 said:

Really ?   I'd suggest it's the other way round.   

Non-regionalised Euro league .....not for me.       Regionalised (i.e. Scotland+ North England) Euro league .... what's the point ?

I am totally against this. If Sevco and Celtic both want it to happen then that is enough to tell me it won't be for the betterment of Scottish Football as a whole.

4 hours ago, Footballfirst said:

Not much point in a colts team just now while the club's management has no confidence in its youth players

Very true.

4 hours ago, Furious Styles said:

yeah, can you imagine travelling all the time as an away fan. 
‘That’s me away to the game love’ 

‘oh, when will you be back?’ 
‘Monday’ 

Sounds magic. 😁

For the long-term betterment of Scottish Football, I’m for this BUT it must be part of an overall restructuring of the game. The number of teams in the top 2 leagues should be expanded with colt teams unable to progress above the third tier. Colt teams should be available to all clubs who have an elite academy.

5 hours ago, Footballfirst said:

indeed when was the last time a "young" player got a chance in this super impressive team?

was it McGill  1 game - Yip the oposition are clearly too much for us to take a chance on a young lad in there - meh

I don't see why they need colt teams if we have an under23 league. Surely playing SPL against reserves/youths/first team players is just as good, if not better than playing v League 1&2 teams. 

The Treasurer
8 hours ago, 3fingersreid said:

Used to go up to Redford Barracks to watch the Hearts colts in the 1970’s

Same here. Think its now a Tesco 

14 minutes ago, The Treasurer said:

Same here. Think its now a Tesco 

It was certainly around that area , I think there was a wee stand 

2 hours ago, Lone Striker said:

Yes. I agree with that. Hearts youngsters need regular worthwhile competition if they're ever going to break into the first team.  Playing against the sort of minnows you mention might be a way of preparing them physically.

Wait, we still have youngsters and a youth academy? Someone should pass that information on to Robbie.

Niemi’s gloves

The Sun article claims that small clubs will benefit from OF fans. There doesn’t seem to be any real evidence of that from attendances at places like Annan when OF colts teams have played there in the Challenge Cup. Ok I can see several thousand turning up at Ibrox and Celtic Park on a Saturday if their “big” team isn’t playing until the Sunday but that doesn’t boost the finances of their opponents. 

19 minutes ago, 3fingersreid said:

It was certainly around that area , I think there was a wee stand 

There’s still a pitch behind the garage but no stand. Firhill school use it ‘Stade Tesco’ but no stand 

1 hour ago, Hesh said:

There’s still a pitch behind the garage but no stand. Firhill school use it ‘Stade Tesco’ but no stand 

Stade Tesco , that’s brilliant 😂

Tokyo Drifter
12 hours ago, rudiatemyhamster said:

https://www.thescottishsun.co.uk/sport/football/6749981/celtic-rangers-3-million-spfl-colt-teams/

Interesting article.  With no reserve football, is this something which could be of benefit to the Jambos.

I would say yes from a team development point of view.

No chance. The Ugly Sisters fly this kite every once in a while. It's just them preparing the ground for an attempt to move to the English leagues and leave a 'Scottish' team here for their fans who can't afford the plane fare to Southampton etc. Hopefully the SPFL will tell them where to shove it.

2 hours ago, FTH said:

Wait, we still have youngsters and a youth academy? Someone should pass that information on to Robbie.

:clap:   So it's rumoured, anyway !! 😉

10 minutes ago, Tokyo Drifter said:

No chance. The Ugly Sisters fly this kite every once in a while. It's just them preparing the ground for an attempt to move to the English leagues and leave a 'Scottish' team here for their fans who can't afford the plane fare to Southampton etc. Hopefully the SPFL will tell them where to shove it.

You're placing faith in the organisation run for the benefit of the Bigot Brothers  to do that ?    :berra:

alwaysthereinspirit

Story reads like they’re doing this as a favor to Scottish football. P!$$ off ya bunch of bigoted **** heads. This is only to help two teams. Let’s have a poll on which two. I hate them more each season.

No Glesga colt teams.....All for a reserve league though. Might ensure some of our long term injured players might get some serious game time before returning to 1st team action.  

14 hours ago, Cruyff said:

14 hours ago, inspector said:

The erse-cheeks will keep nipping away until they get what they want. So much for the pyramid system. No thought given to Junior clubs who have been trying for years to better themselves.

England has no interest in having the Old Firm join. It would cause too much trouble for all their clubs who are trying to get into the top league to parachute them in. Also despite what the media in Scotland will tell you, they aren't required at all.

As for the keeping a foothold in the game. Simply make a rule that to have a colt team then the main team must be playing in a higher Scottish league. That means if they go to an Atlantic league or whatever their colt team loses their spot too.

I'd want Hearts to be involved with the Colt teams. At the moment we send our players out all over the place to get experience and then hope they get game time. At least with our own Colt team we can get our youngsters the game time to develop either into a decent player for the first team or realise they don't have the quality for it. 

Guest ToqueJambo

It's a No with a capital "Feck off" for me. Colts benefit no-one but the OF, mostly in ticket sales and TV I assume plus them thinking that will help them leave Scotland.

For everyone else, loaning players to the lower leagues and having a reserve team seems a much better approach. At least with a reserve league or U20s Premiership league you'll often be playing against other fringe Premiership players instead of plumbers and posties.

Edited by ToqueJambo

Not against the idea in principle, but I totally disagree with the underhanded bribery that the OF are trying to push ahead with. 

If colt teams are the will of the professional clubs, then that should be worked into the set up. What I cannot agree with is this idea that the OF get a head start on the rest of us. 

IMO, should be looking at 2 breakaway full professional leagues with the semipro leagues being regional and also containing colts based on those regions. Colt teams cannot be promoted to the top level of that mini pyramid.

SomethingAboutObua

You could probably get a lot of people onside with the idea if it was an open for all/promotion-relegation, they cant join the 2nd tier etc idea. Instead it's literally 2 teams that dominate everything buying their way in to dominate more leagues and cups. 

People say it works in the Netherlands, Spain, Portugal and Germany. All leagues repeatedly won by the same 2-3 teams.

I can already see/hear the football media news.  “And todays top games in the premiership are celtic at home to dundee united and rangers visit Stmirren...(blah blah for half an hour)... and the other top fixtures sees celtic colts at Brechin and rangers colts host elgin” .... (blah blah for half an hour). End of football news.  And the cancer of scottish football grows and grows to kill whats left of the game in this country.

Edited by B.S.

haveyouheard1874
On 28/02/2021 at 09:54, kingantti1874 said:

Chick Young's  been saying that for the last 20yr,, Though if it did happen would see no reason why Hearts could not be a part 

To many free loaders in our bottom leagues and if they are shafted at the loss of any team that  has the finances to support there own Colt team,, fine by me 

Edited by haveyouheard1874