Jordan Roberts

HamishMcGonagall

HamishMcGonagall

Read an interview the other day from Alan Campbell at Motherwell saying he'd been impressed by Jordan Roberts since he joined on loan. Today, Roberts has a goal and an assist against Hibs. I know it's only Hibs but it does further make me wonder if it is just down to the way we're set up to play that's making some players look poorer than they are.

• Replies 200
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• BackOfTheNet

• Pasquale for King

• David McCaig

• Cruyff

A_A wehatethehibs

Or maybe he was never actually that bad but clueless fans wrote him off after his first 5 mins on the pitch. He’s only played about 5 games for us. Anyway, hope the loan does him some good and he can be like a new signing in the summer 

You do have to wonder if the problem was man management and lack of tactical nuance from the manager that was the issue. (Although as I’ve said repeatedly he wasn’t as bad as people were saying)

Will be interesting to see the same folk that wrote him off and said things like he was “the worst player ever to wear maroon” after only a short amount of games saying about today’s performance “one game doesn’t make a player”.

15 minutes ago, A_A wehatethehibs said:

Or maybe he was never actually that bad but clueless fans wrote him off after his first 5 mins on the pitch. He’s only played about 5 games for us. Anyway, hope the loan does him some good and he can be like a new signing in the summer 

He was pretty good today and took his goal very well. What he showed today I have not seen him produce in a Hearts Jersey. May be the case that our manager couldn't get the best out of him. 

27 minutes ago, A_A wehatethehibs said:

So why is he on loan at another team if he wasn’t that bad?????

12 minutes ago, BackOfTheNet said:

Will be interesting to see the same folk that wrote him off and said things like he was “the worst player ever to wear maroon” after only a short amount of games saying about today’s performance “one game doesn’t make a player”.

8 minutes ago, Cruyff said:

One swallow doesn't make a summer. 

Didn’t take long then...

Glamorgan Jambo

Let’s not forget the assist for Agent Roberts goal came from Agent Tony Watt. 

Incidentally Ryan Edwards and Sean Clare bossed the midfield for Burton in their away win at Rochdale today. Things have turned up for Burton since Clare arrived . 

A Hearts player stopped Hibs in their tracks today with a goal and an assist. Our bitter rivals suffered because of a Hearts player.

I don’t know why people aren’t celebrating this fact more.

1 minute ago, j1964m said:

Whats happened to the hibs wonder striker Nesbit 

Probably knows there’s a deal on the table from another team this summer so can’t be arsed 

41 minutes ago, A_A wehatethehibs said:

Ah so Roberts playing shit for us was all down to fans comments on here? Interesting! 🤔

2 minutes ago, Cruyff said:

What you talking about? 🚀

That I made a point that people who wrote Roberts off after limited time will not go to the same lengths to praise him after limited time. You stepped up to make that point perfectly. Thought that was plainly obvious?

The Real Maroonblood
3 minutes ago, gowestjambo said:

Whighton scores for Dunfermline, Roberts scores and gets an assist for Well - Maybe its not the Players.....?

:laugh2:

Just now, BackOfTheNet said:

That I made a point that people who wrote Roberts off after limited time will not go to the same lengths to praise him after limited time. You stepped up to make that point perfectly. Thought that was plainly obvious?

Because it’s true. You don't have a point. 

1 minute ago, Thomaso said:

Ah so Roberts playing shit for us was all down to fans comments on here? Interesting! 🤔

I think their point was Roberts wasn’t that bad and that people went over the top about it on here. You seem to have it the wrong way round thinking he was saying Roberts played badly because people said he played badly. Which makes zero sense.

1 minute ago, Cruyff said:

Because it’s true. You don't have a point. 

I’m not disagreeing that one game doesn’t make a player. I also think the equivalent of 5 games over 10 sub or subbed appearances does not make a player either. My point, which I have and I made and is entirely valid, is that people wrote Roberts off after a limited time to show what he can do but won’t say the opposite after a limited time. A curious contradiction I would say.

56 minutes ago, HamishMcGonagall said:

Read an interview the other day from Alan Campbell at Motherwell saying he'd been impressed by Jordan Roberts since he joined on loan. Today, Roberts has a goal and an assist against Hibs. I know it's only Hibs but it does further make me wonder if it is just down to the way we're set up to play that's making some players look poorer than they are.

We just make players look bad I honestly think Neilson is a clueless coach a bit like Levein was. I am not surprised by this 

Bazzas right boot
32 minutes ago, Cruyff said:

One swallow doesn't make a summer. 

Depends who's doing the swallowing. 

It really could make the summer. 

But yeah, Last week it was Wighton who was leading the pars charge. 

Maybe Robbie had a plan, loan him out, get him used to the game up here all in prep for next season. 

Bruce bonus is hibs pants get pulled down as well! 

He was poor for us in general, v hibs in the semi he looked like he'd won a raffle to get in the team. 

Guy at work is a Motherwell fan and said Robert's looked good for them.

I'm torn as I thought pre season he looked good but was pretty bad after the first couple of games.

Easy to put it down to bad management by Robbie but I think he will get more space playing for Motherwell than coming up against a team sat in deep which is a nightmare for wingers to operate.

Maybe Robert's will improve maybe he wont I guess🤷‍♂️

I'm a fan of Robbie and still believe we will come good next season on the premier but recent results and performances have been worrying to say the least.

26 minutes ago, Glamorgan Jambo said:

Let’s not forget the assist for Agent Roberts goal came from Agent Tony Watt. 

Incidentally Ryan Edwards and Sean Clare bossed the midfield for Burton in their away win at Rochdale today. Things have turned up for Burton since Clare arrived . 

I thought it was another poor decision by Levein when he got rid of Ryan Edwards. Showed enough in the few games he was played in to show he should have been given a chance.

1 minute ago, BackOfTheNet said:

I’m not disagreeing that one game doesn’t make a player. I also think the equivalent of 5 games over 10 sub or subbed appearances does not make a player either. My point, which I have and I made and is entirely valid, is that people wrote Roberts off after a limited time to show what he can do but won’t say the opposite after a limited time. A curious contradiction I would say.

Roberts didn't show enough in those appearances for anyone to come to an alternative conclusion. 

Personally I thought he looked like he lacked confidence more than anything else. 

Sometimes players don't settle, sometimes  they fit in at other clubs. If Roberts is doing what he did today on a consistent basis for Motherwell then perhaps people can revisit their opinion. 

But as it stands, one good game isn't going to change that view.  

complete control
22 minutes ago, theshed said:

Probably knows there’s a deal on the table from another team this summer so can’t be arsed 

like he wisnae arsed in the semi against hibs

Another player who comes to us and is poor goes somewhere else and is great. 

The times I’ve seen him play which is all the games he’s played he has failed to impress. 

Ive no idea why this happens when players come to us and they fail. I wish I knew! 

I never even realised he was punted on loan to a team in a higher league than us. That in itself baffles me why he does work for us but is good enough to loan to Motherwell in the Premiership. 

Edited by Boy Daniel

11 minutes ago, Gambo said:

In first few games he looked the best out of 3 brought in, then something happened (Robbie influence?)that he seriously went downhill fast.

Probably went on about defensive duties and shackled the guy.

Interesting Motherwell just let him loose to attack and he's scoring and setting goals up. Incompatible with Hearts unfortunately.

22 minutes ago, Smith's right boot said:

Maybe Robbie had a plan, loan him out, get him used to the game up here all in prep for next season. 

Bruce bonus is hibs pants get pulled down as well! 

He used to play for ICT, so is already used to the game up here I imagine.

18 minutes ago, Cruyff said:

Roberts didn't show enough in those appearances for anyone to come to an alternative conclusion. 

Personally I thought he looked like he lacked confidence more than anything else. 

Sometimes players don't settle, sometimes  they fit in at other clubs. If Roberts is doing what he did today on a consistent basis for Motherwell then perhaps people can revisit their opinion. 

But as it stands, one good game isn't going to change that view.  

I wasn’t for one second saying that people should have been saying he was good after the games for us. But I made many points in the transfer thread (the one that had its title changed to mock Motherwell for signing him) and others that people went way, way over the top about him. In his not even 500 minutes in no way should he have been in the conversation of worst ever players to play for Hearts. But people did (and still do).

Yet him playing well for Well today doesn’t have people saying he’s a great player that would be good for us in the Premiership. And I’m not saying they should - as one game doesn’t make a player which we’ve agreed - but I’m just saying that maybe folk were and are going too over the top when saying how bad he is, as he played far too little to warrant such a strong opinion negatively. People on here (wrongly) are fine to come to a quick decision negatively, yet (correctly) are holding off coming to a positive quick decision. Curious to me is all.

Edited by BackOfTheNet

38 minutes ago, Gambo said:

In first few games he looked the best out of 3 brought in, then something happened (Robbie influence?)that he seriously went downhill fast.

What games were those? He was really poor in the league cup games, particularly against Cowdenbeath. Ginnelly, on the other hand, looked good from his first game.

Roberts' only half-decent appearance was against Dundee, but even then he wasn't anything special and it's easier to look good when you're two or three goals up.

1 hour ago, A_A wehatethehibs said:

Sorry who is the manager of Hearts?. 

33 minutes ago, BackOfTheNet said:

He used to play for ICT, so is already used to the game up here I imagine.

I wasn’t for one second saying that people should have been saying he was good after the games for us. But I made many points in the transfer thread (the one that had its title changed to mock Motherwell for signing him) and others that people went way, way over the top about him. In his not even 500 minutes in no way should he have been in the conversation of worst ever players to play for Hearts. But people did (and still do).

Yet him playing well for Well today doesn’t have people saying he’s a great player that would be good for us in the Premiership. And I’m not saying they should - as one game doesn’t make a player which we’ve agreed - but I’m just saying that maybe folk were and are going too over the top when saying how bad he is, as he played far too little to warrant such a strong opinion negatively. People on here (wrongly) are fine to come to a quick decision negatively, yet (correctly) are holding off coming to a positive quick decision. Curious to me is all.

I think you can see for yourself that hyperbole is Kickbacks favourite thing. 

Of course Roberts isn't the worst.  He looked alright v Dundee and as a sub v Raith. Then seemed to lose confidence. 

But it certainly doesn't help the player when the manager gives the likes of Roberts, Frear, White, Haring, Wighton the odd game, some of them impress, then cans them completely. What's that all about? I think that sort of thing doesn't help the view on here tbh. 

Edited by Cruyff

alwaysthereinspirit

He was useless for us. Did absolutely nothing anytime he played or came on as a sub. Nothing. If just moving to another team motivates him to play better then it’s all on him. Neilson did not coach him to be constantly $#!te. He still could have tried even if he didn’t agree with the way we were set up. He never hustled, he couldn’t cross, he couldn’t even trap a ball. Good luck to him wherever he ends up. Surely no Hearts fan thinks him staying instead of being loaned out would be the difference this season. Should have been subbed in the semi after 15 mins.

1 hour ago, BackOfTheNet said:

A Hearts player stopped Hibs in their tracks today with a goal and an assist. Our bitter rivals suffered because of a Hearts player.

I don’t know why people aren’t celebrating this fact more.

Exactly! Why the arguing?  Let's just enjoy those lowlifes losing.  Always got them to cheer us up.   

Guest ToqueJambo

He wasn't that bad. Started OK but didn't play well at all in his latter games. I do wish we would persist with players for longer sometimes, especially this season when there's no fans to get on players' backs when they have a couple of bad games. 

Again, it could be as simple as players like him struggle when they have to break down teams the way we do most weeks. The Premiership is much more open even at the lower end.

9 minutes ago, jambopilms said:

There is just a lazy, can't be arsed attitude from our squad which means nobody can really get going.

The players look bored. 

They should call a team meeting and agree to just go out to attack. 

Humour the management team and then go out and play off the cuff. 

We should be ripping teams apart in this league. 

The management team are holding them back by playing for draws away from home imo. 

7 minutes ago, luckydug said:

The players look bored. 

They should call a team meeting and agree to just go out to attack. 

Humour the management team and then go out and play off the cuff. 

We should be ripping teams apart in this league. 

The management team are holding them back by playing for draws away from home imo. 

There is no chance we are playing for draws. The management just can't get them going. Some of the team just won't be motivated by anyone.

fabienleclerq
2 hours ago, A_A wehatethehibs said:

Was it the clueless fans that punted him out on loan? Or the clueless manager that isn't getting the best out of what he's got. 

Just now, fabienleclerq said:

Was it the clueless fans that punted him out on loan? Or the clueless manager that isn't getting the best out of what he's got. 

Indeed. 

53 minutes ago, Cruyff said:

I think you can see for yourself that hyperbole is Kickbacks favourite thing. 

Of course Roberts isn't the worst.  He looked alright v Dundee and as a sub v Raith. Then seemed to lose confidence. 

But it certainly doesn't help the player when the manager gives the likes of Roberts, Frear, White, Haring, Wighton the odd game, some of them impress, then cans them completely. What's that all about? I think that sort of thing doesn't help the view on here tbh. 

Agreed on that. A player has a bad game and then gets dropped. Doesn’t play for a game or two and then gets a game or a sub appearance, doesn’t impress again and suddenly not even in the squad. All the while they see players who do get games consistently despite not playing well. Terrible man management. And indeed about the hyperbole, player had one or two bad games, gets left out of a squad and they suddenly become wage thieves.

Edited by BackOfTheNet