In my 35 years watching Hearts, is this the worst?

MCW1976

Bazzas right boot
8 minutes ago, ToqueJambo said:

5 years of decline. You're right! Probably better to give the new manager more than 20 or so games to turn it around then eh?

Sack him now because we've been in 5 years of decline since he left last time.... 

Irony has left the building, stupidity has kicked in now. 

• Replies 337
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Auldbenches

• The Grim Reaper

• Bazzas right boot

• Fozzyonthefence

Bazzas right boot
1 minute ago, ToqueJambo said:

It's very boggling. The only reason I engage is to see if they can ever come up with a sensible rationale for their position that makes sense.

It reminds me of debating brexit with folk Tbh. 

Fozzyonthefence
2 minutes ago, The Grim Reaper said:

He doesn’t have it in him to turn it around in my opinion which is why I want change. 

We’ve been down this road before with underperforming managers. He’ll get far to long before inevitably being removed. Another transfer window wasted. Another period of transition. I’m done with it. 

I suspect you’re right but I still think it would be wrong to sack him before next season if we win the league.  He probably deserves another shot at the Premiership given his record the last time but it is starting to look like we have the MK Dons Neilson rather than the first spell Hearts one.  Are we just going to be repeating the same mistake we made by reappointing Levein (who also had a reasonably successful first spell)?

1 hour ago, HMFC 86 said:

Ironic you saying someone else is coming out with shite, when that’s all I see in your posts. All you do is troll away, talk absolute shite and insult Hearts fans.

All you do is insult the players and staff. 

The Grim Reaper

And you're fix for that is.... another new manager! Another wasted window and another transition period. Good one mate, enjoy the trolling.

Yes, either appoint the new manager or at the very least identify him so he can suss out the current squad before rebuilding in the summer. 

Guest ToqueJambo
Just now, Smith's right boot said:

Sack him now because we've been in 5 years of decline since he left last time.... 

Irony has left the building, stupidity has kicked in now. 

Exactly. We've got 5 years of decline to turn around but you've got 20 games to do it in. Oh, and you have to do it during a 27-game season in the middle of a pandemic when the league could be stopped at any minute. 

The irony is he's actually doing it, results wise at least, in terms of our main aims at the state of the season. Beat Hibs - done. Compete well in the cup final - done. Make sure we're well clear at the top after 75% of games in case the league stops - done.

Guest ToqueJambo
2 minutes ago, The Grim Reaper said:

Yes, either appoint the new manager or at the very least identify him so he can suss out the current squad before rebuilding in the summer. 

Comedy gold

17 minutes ago, The Grim Reaper said:

I think the last month is an accurate reflection of the last 5 years. 

The last 5 years is a more accurate reflection though. 5 years that have been mostly poor and have had nothing to do with Neilson. The last few games have been worrying and nowhere near good enough. I’m not convinced RN is the answer but give him time. Just remember those last 5 years and the absolute shambles that Neilson inherited. People underestimate the damage that Craig Levein done to this club. 

Bazzas right boot
Just now, ToqueJambo said:

Exactly. We've got 5 years of decline to turn around but you've got 20 games to do it in. Oh, and you have to do it during a 27-game season in the middle of a pandemic when the league could be stopped at any minute. 

The irony is he's actually doing it, results wise at least, in terms of our main aims at the state of the season. Beat Hibs - done. Compete well in the cup final - done. Make sure we're well clear at the top after 75% of games in case the league stops - done.

Yip, the only black mark is the Alloa game. 

Guest ToqueJambo

Yip, the only black mark is the Alloa game. 

We've been so bad in the LC for so long I'm past caring. Would love to win it soon - this season would have been a good opportunity but then every Premiership team in the latter rounds could have said that.

Bazzas right boot

We've been so bad in the LC for so long I'm past caring. Would love to win it soon - this season would have been a good opportunity but then every Premiership team in the latter rounds could have said that.

I'm the same with that ****ing tournament Tbh, after St Mirren beat us in the final I've chucked it. 

We have a horrendous record in it. 

For balance tho, it's still a black mark. 

The Grim Reaper
2 minutes ago, GinRummy said:

The last 5 years is a more accurate reflection though. 5 years that have been mostly poor and have had nothing to do with Neilson. The last few games have been worrying and nowhere near good enough. I’m not convinced RN is the answer but give him time. Just remember those last 5 years and the absolute shambles that Neilson inherited. People underestimate the damage that Craig Levein done to this club. 

I know it’s not Robbie’s fault and as I’ve said before I like him as an individual. I was prepared to back him although I wasn’t particularly impressed by his appointment. 

It’s just continuation of the same dul, bland soulless football. Zero entertainment, zero excitement. I’m done with it. 

Fozzyonthefence
11 minutes ago, The Grim Reaper said:

**** off Tosh, you have no idea what you’re talking about. 

Jesus, do you have to quote him?!  Anyone with a brain would realise we’re comparing level of performances not results.  It’s not rocket science ffs!

Guest ToqueJambo
Just now, The Grim Reaper said:

You told us all everything would be ok under Levein. 

I didn't even want Levein appointed in the first place. I am surprised he didn't turn it around because he has the experience to be able to do that and I do think with the players back last half of last season he would have kept us up, but I appreciate that's not a popular opinion. Before the St Mirren game, I also thought Stendel would have kept us up.

The thing about Levein is folk were writing him off after the meh season rebuilding after Cathro. Then we went on a tremendous run that was -  no matter how much some choose to deny it - stopped by unprecedented injuries to key players and Levein's heart attack possibly affected him more than anyone admits. I like him so I am biased, just as some are biased against Neilson or Budge. 

Guest ToqueJambo
1 minute ago, The Grim Reaper said:

I know it’s not Robbie’s fault and as I’ve said before I like him as an individual. I was prepared to back him although I wasn’t particularly impressed by his appointment. 

It’s just continuation of the same dul, bland soulless football. Zero entertainment, zero excitement. I’m done with it. 

Cheerio then. We'll see you again in better times then. I think there's a word for that type of fan. Begins with Glory and ends with Hunter. Often seen wearing blue or green.

The Grim Reaper

I didn't even want Levein appointed in the first place. I am surprised he didn't turn it around because he has the experience to be able to do that and I do think with the players back last half of last season he would have kept us up, but I appreciate that's not a popular opinion. Before the St Mirren game, I also thought Stendel would have kept us up.

The thing about Levein is folk were writing him off after the meh season rebuilding after Cathro. Then we went on a tremendous run that was -  no matter how much some choose to deny it - stopped by unprecedented injuries to key players and Levein's heart attack possibly affected him more than anyone admits. I like him so I am biased, just as some are biased against Neilson or Budge. 

Well we are where we are. I don’t want the club to make the same mistakes with Neilson. 

Guest ToqueJambo
2 minutes ago, Fozzyonthefence said:

Jesus, do you have to quote him?!  Anyone with a brain would realise we’re comparing level of performances not results.  It’s not rocket science ffs!

So if people are saying performances were better last season doesn't that put to bed the whole performances vs results thing once and for all? Or are folk really saying they'd rather watch a losing team with better performances?

6 minutes ago, The Grim Reaper said:

It seems that way but look at what happened when Stendel tried to change too much to soon. I’m not happy either. I’m pissed off that he hasn’t been proactive and changed a system that hasn’t been working but if you look at the state of things when he took over, he didn’t have his problems to seek. For that reason, he gets more time for me, he’s making the right noises about attacking football but maybe he doesn’t feel he’s got the players yet or maybe the newer players aren’t ready. **** knows at the end of the day but I do understand your annoyance. 

Edited by GinRummy

Guest ToqueJambo
1 minute ago, GinRummy said:

It seems that way but look at what happened when Stendel tried to change too much to soon. I’m not happy either. I’m pissed off that he hasn’t been proactive and changed a system that hasn’t been working but if you look at the state of things when he took over, he didn’t have his problems to seek. For that reason, he gets more time for me, he’s making the right noises about attacking football but maybe he doesn’t feel he’s got the players yet or maybe the newer players aren’t ready. **** knows at the end of the day but I do understand your annoyance. 

Robbie earned his money this seasons with that first win against Dundee alone IMO. And after that the semi final.

That first game was crucial. Everyone said it at the time. We put down a real marker. Losing that game would have been extremely worrying as Dundee would have been emboldened. Hard to remember but they were touted as genuine challengers at the start of the season. They've spent more than anyone else outwith us and we ****ing leathered them when we had to! It was glorious. As was the derby win.

And if anyone of the Robbie Out lot want one thing to have hope with Robbie it's that he always starts seasons well with us.

Fozzyonthefence

So if people are saying performances were better last season doesn't that put to bed the whole performances vs results thing once and for all? Or are folk really saying they'd rather watch a losing team with better performances?

I think most, if not all of us would rather see us playing in the top league.  I don’t see anyone suggesting anything other than last season was a shitshow, albeit with a handful of good performances - pretty similar to this season.  We might be amazing the next 9 games but equally we could carry on the way we’re playing just now. 

Robbie earned his money this seasons with that first win against Dundee alone IMO. And after that the semi final.

That first game was crucial. Everyone said it at the time. We put down a real marker. Losing that game would have been extremely worrying as Dundee would have been emboldened. Hard to remember but they were touted as genuine challengers at the start of the season. They've spent more than anyone else outwith us and we ****ing leathered them when we had to! It was glorious. As was the derby win.

And if anyone of the Robbie Out lot want one thing to have hope with Robbie it's that he always starts seasons well with us.

Was a great win. No doubt about that. 

Guest ToqueJambo
5 minutes ago, Fozzyonthefence said:

I think most, if not all of us would rather see us playing in the top league.  I don’t see anyone suggesting anything other than last season was a shitshow, albeit with a handful of good performances - pretty similar to this season.  We might be amazing the next 9 games but equally we could carry on the way we’re playing just now. 

There have been more than a handful of good performances IMO unless you genuinely expect us to be winning 3 or 4 nil every week. If it wasn't for the pain of relegation seasons I actually enjoy the odd championship season (well the last two). It's nice being top of the table whatever the league. It's a wee holiday. It definitely not as enjoyable as 14/15 turned out to be but that was a very different time. Obviously I would rather not get relegated but I don't miss playing the OF and I don't see games against Ayr, Raith and Dunfermline as any worse than against Hamilton, Ross county and St Mirren. I miss the derbies and banter with Hibs mostly, as well as the chance to get into Europe.

Edited by ToqueJambo

The Grim Reaper
2 minutes ago, GinRummy said:

It seems that way bit look at what happened when Stendel tried to change too much to soon. I’m not happy either. I’m pissed off that he hasn’t been proactive and changed a system that hasn’t been working but if you look at the state of things when he took over, he didn’t have his problems to seek. For that reason, he gets more time for me, he’s making the right noises about attacking football but maybe he doesn’t feel he’s got the players yet or maybe the newer players aren’t ready. **** knows at the end of the day but I do understand your annoyance. 

He has an owner who will undoubtedly back him in the transfer window again. Resources, training facilities and an academy superior to the majority of clubs in Scotland. There should be nothing to stop him being successful. 

Guest ToqueJambo
Just now, GinRummy said:

Was a great win. No doubt about that. 

And literally everyone else in Scotland outwith Thistle fans wanted us to lose. It was massive. 

1 minute ago, The Grim Reaper said:

He has an owner who will undoubtedly back him in the transfer window again. Resources, training facilities and an academy superior to the majority of clubs in Scotland. There should be nothing to stop him being successful. 

Here’s hoping. We fans deserve it. Poster on another thread suggesting a huge clear out is in the offing this close season.  The guy has been spot on about things inside the club in the past. While I’m not a fan of huge ins and outs every season, I would welcome that sort of clean sweep this year. 

18 minutes ago, ToqueJambo said:

Fans were writing levein off because we knew what football we would be watching.  Same reason a lot if us feel about Neilson.  

Nudge said in the documentary that it I'll he good to see attacking football from Stendel knowing we were bored with watching levein type football.  

She then goes for the same again without even interviewing other potential managers.  Why would she narrow her option?  I think she can't be bothered.  Why restrict our options?   Other clubs have interviewed for a manager throughout this period so that isn't an excuse. 

She has failed and is continuing to do so. 

We are a shite football team just now. 

14 minutes ago, ToqueJambo said:

There have been more than a handful of good performances IMO unless you genuinely expect us to be winning 3 or 4 nil every week.

There has been more bad performances in this division than good.  Two league games where we played well and that's it.  

Guest ToqueJambo
1 minute ago, Auldbenches said:

Fans were writing levein off because we knew what football we would be watching.  Same reason a lot if us feel about Neilson.  

Nudge said in the documentary that it I'll he good to see attacking football from Stendel knowing we were bored with watching levein type football.  

She then goes for the same again without even interviewing other potential managers.  Why would she narrow her option?  I think she can't be bothered.  Why restrict our options?   Other clubs have interviewed for a manager throughout this period so that isn't an excuse. 

She has failed and is continuing to do so. 

We are a shite football team just now. 

She appointed someone to win this league, and importantly be well ahead by the 75% of games mark (that was the target everyone was talking about at the start of the season in case the SPFL play silly beggars again), and to take on Hibs in the semi. It's debatable that she has failed in this.

Guest ToqueJambo
3 minutes ago, Auldbenches said:

There has been more bad performances in this division than good.  Two league games where we played well and that's it.  

I highlighted a lot more than that, including the SC games, earlier on this thread or on another thread full of people having a go at Hearts and Neilson. All about opinions though.

Just now, ToqueJambo said:

I highlighted a lot more than that, including the SC games, earlier on this thread or on another thread full of people having a go at Hearts and Neilson. All about opinions though.

You've been playing the have a go at Hearts card for a while.  It used to be because we hated levein, now it's having a go for the sake of it? 

It's because we have wasted the best opportunity our club had had in modern times.  

Tell me what succeses Budge has had on the football side of things. 

Two cup runs and what else?  

Bazzas right boot
9 minutes ago, Auldbenches said:

Subjective. 

I personally don't see how a team well top can have more bad performances than good, it doesn't make any sense. 

Fozzyonthefence
5 minutes ago, ToqueJambo said:

It’s always enjoyable beating Hibs, especially in a SC semi but **** me if you thought that was a good performance.  Hibs should’ve been out of sight at half time, we were as bad in that 45 as we were first half v Celtic.  Only livened up when Naismith and Haring came on and we had a decent 30 mins. The level of performance in the 3-1 game at ER was far better.  All about opinions as you say but I think you’re confusing acceptable performances with very good ones. 

1 minute ago, Smith's right boot said:

Subjective. 

I personally don't see how a team well top can have more bad performances than good, it doesn't make any sense. 

Just watch us, especially over the last 4 games.  

Got the results but performances have been terrible for the team we have.  

There's nothing subjective in saying we are playing, it's evidential. 

What has Ann Budge got right regarding the football side of things?  

Bazzas right boot
4 minutes ago, Auldbenches said:

Just watch us, especially over the last 4 games.  

Got the results but performances have been terrible for the team we have.  

There's nothing subjective in saying we are playing, it's evidential. 

What has Ann Budge got right regarding the football side of things?  

The last 4 games, 1 wins and 3 draws. 

Not great, seen worse tho, for example last season we won 4 games in 30.

The league table and goals scored is evidence as to the performances. Your opinion or mine is not evidence. 

As to your last question - She got rid of Stendel promptly after he taken us bottom and replaced him with a manager who has won this division twice and currently has us top. 

Edited by Smith's right boot

Not great, seem worse, got example last season we won 4 games in 30.

The league table and goals scored is evidence as to the performances. Your opinion or mine is not evidence. 

As to your last question - She got rid of Stendel promptly after he taken us bottom and replaced him with a manager who has won this division twice and currently has us top. 

Getting rid of Stendel and replacing him with a Neilson is her football success after nearly 7 year?  Lucky us! 

3 minutes ago, Smith's right boot said:

Not great, seem worse, got example last season we won 4 games in 30.

95% of posters come on here after a game and are angry with the what we are watching, are they all wrong? 

Edited by Auldbenches

Dusk_Till_Dawn

Same old apologists wearing the same old blinkers and ignoring the same old signs.

This is what it must be like inside Tynecastle. “Congratulations on relegation Ann, another step forward.”

Bret the Hitman Hearts
1 hour ago, Smith's right boot said:

How anyone can find a promotion season worse than the relegation one that came before it is beyond me. 

How does that even work out?

Relegation - boo, shite. 

Promotion- boo, shite. 

The mind boggles. 

To be fair, we will never know how last season would have ended

Without covid, Hearts could be third in the Prem under Stendel, for all we know

Guest ToqueJambo
31 minutes ago, Auldbenches said:

You've been playing the have a go at Hearts card for a while.  It used to be because we hated levein, now it's having a go for the sake of it? 

It's because we have wasted the best opportunity our club had had in modern times.  

Tell me what succeses Budge has had on the football side of things. 

Two cup runs and what else?  

I'm delighted we have someone in charge right now who definitely has our best interests at heart. The alternative of a Cormack, Gordon or the two Dundee clubs' owners gives me the fear. I rate her above Romanov, Mercer and Robinson in that regard.

I fail to see how this last few years has been a better opportunity for success than 85/86 and a couple of years after that under Doddie, 05/06 and when we pushed the OF close a couple of times under JJ. We definitely had the opportunity under Budge to retake the "best of the rest" crown and were doing a very good job of that under Neilson. Three very poor manager appointments put paid to that. Mercer and Romanov both also made poor manager appointments obviously. Ironically, Robinson who has been my least favourite owner, made very good manager appointments - history-making in fact.

Edited by ToqueJambo

Some of the recent performances have been pretty horrific - but we've definitely had worse teams in the last 35 years. I think the frustration is that for a number of years now, the only thing we've been doing with any consistency is signing very limited, journeymen footballers and paying them much more than they merit. That said, Mceneff looks promising and I'm still hopeful Mackay-Steven will come good. So it may be that Savage brings about a change for the better - at least that's what's giving me some hope for now. 

Bazzas right boot
2 minutes ago, Bret the Hitman Hearts said:

To be fair, we will never know how last season would have ended

Without covid, Hearts could be third in the Prem under Stendel, for all we know

Might have been 1st. 

No one will ever know. 

Bazzas right boot
16 minutes ago, Auldbenches said:

95% of posters come on here after a game and are angry with the what we are watching, are they all wrong? 

95%, where did you get that  figure? 

No one was angry 6 games ago when we won 4-0 away. 

I'd say about 5% of posters are angry after most games, and yes they are wrong imo. 

Edited by Smith's right boot

Guest ToqueJambo
6 minutes ago, Smith's right boot said:

95%, where did you get that  figure? 

No one was angry 6 games ago when we won 4-0 away. 

I'd say about 5% of posters are angry after most games, and yes they are wrong imo. 

A game in which we were less dominant and created fewer chances than the 1-1 with Morton. Such is football.

Bazzas right boot
2 minutes ago, ToqueJambo said:

A game in which we were less dominant and created fewer chances than the 1-1 with Morton. Such is football.

It's a funny old game n' alll that. 

Guest ToqueJambo
14 minutes ago, Smith's right boot said:

Might have been 1st. 

No one will ever know. 

Joel Perrerra just won player of the month in this imaginary universe, and Donis Avdijaj is Scotland's top scorer. There's already talk of Stendel being lined up to replace Klopp though. Nervy times.

13 minutes ago, ToqueJambo said:

I'm delighted we have someone in charge right now who definitely has our best interests at heart. The alternative of a Cormack, Gordon or the two Dundee clubs' owners gives me the fear. I rate her above Romanov, Mercer and Robinson in that regard.

I fail to see how this last few years has been a better opportunity for success than 85/86 and a couple of years after that under Doddie, 05/06 and when we pushed the OF close a couple of times under JJ. We definitely had the opportunity under Budge to retake the "best of the rest" crown and were doing a very good job of that under Neilson. Three very poor manager appointments put paid to that. Mercer and Romanov both also made poor manager appointments obviously. Ironically, Robinson who has been my least favourite owner, made very good manager appointments - history-making in fact.

You fail to see all the donations from FOH, the new stand and all the money from tbe benefactors?  

If she had our best interests at Hearst she would've advertised for the managers job rather than just phone Robbie from her boat.  

I wonder how many days a week she works at the club.  

We are in a stronger position off the pitch than we've ever been and the board have squandered this opportunity.  7 years and still waiting for it to click.  

Guest ToqueJambo
8 minutes ago, Auldbenches said:

You fail to see all the donations from FOH, the new stand and all the money from tbe benefactors?  

If she had our best interests at Hearst she would've advertised for the managers job rather than just phone Robbie from her boat.  

I wonder how many days a week she works at the club.  

We are in a stronger position off the pitch than we've ever been and the board have squandered this opportunity.  7 years and still waiting for it to click.  

Off pitch stability rarely translates into on pitch success for us. In fact, the opposite. We've had some of our best times during some of our worst times, if that makes sense.

I do agree we're in a powerful position off the pitch (or were before the pandemic) thanks to the people you mentioned, including Budge. Her aim was to hand over a debt free stable club and she's going to do that. Although no idea what the pandemic will have done to our overall finances. The guaranteed 5 years of benefactor funding she facilitated to help us through COVID and out the other side will help though. Thanks Ann.

I also think one of our anonymous benefactors might actually be Budge herself. Who knows? How many rich Hearts fans are out there?

Edited by ToqueJambo

Bazzas right boot
4 minutes ago, ToqueJambo said:

Joel Perrerra just won player of the month in this imaginary universe, and Donis Avdijaj is Scotland's top scorer. There's already talk of Stendel being lined up to replace Klopp though. Nervy times.

😂😂👍

45 minutes ago, Smith's right boot said:

Subjective. 

FML, the NDF are out in force tonight

We have just not been as shite as the other teams in the league, it doesn’t mean our performances haven’t been bad because Dundee at home and Raith away aside, they have been mediocre at best. The other teams are however worse than us.