In my 35 years watching Hearts, is this the worst?

MCW1976

This season is pretty awful to watch, but so is all football. I used to watch about 3 or 4 games a week and I'm lucky if Ive watched that many this year.

So as bad as it is, I'm not sure how to compare a lockdown season in the Championship against other really boring years.

Can't remember the football under Lazlo being all the great. Or Paulo, if you take the cup semi and final put of it. Not saying these were the worst years though, far from it.

I feel like we were worse to watch under Cathro and Levein than Neilson, as it least we're mostly winning at the moment.

I think we're in a situation where everyone is already pissed off with how much we've under achieved since the last Championship season added in with how crap we are to watch added in with how crap football is without actual crowds / getting to go to games.

Its a perfect storm of dullness and under achievement.

• Replies 337
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Auldbenches

• The Grim Reaper

• Bazzas right boot

• Fozzyonthefence

Fozzyonthefence
7 minutes ago, spacerjoe said:

Cathro's team absolutely smashed Rangers.

Cathro, Stendel and Neilson all managed to bear Rangers.  Stendel and Neilson even managed it twice from not many games.  Levein......

It is also the perfect opportunity for someone to grab the club by the scruff of the neck, change the approach, re-engage with the fans, give something back and energise the team.

Normally for that you need a decent manager and chairperson! A leader.

Need I say more?

I keep asking the same question and no one can answer it! No one even tries.

Budgie no longer owns the club. FoH are intentionally kept at arms length from the football decisions. The 'original' 25% shareholders seem elevated above FoH (even though their shares were worthless).

Who tells the so far anonymous Chief Executive what to do, what the future is, what isn't good enough? There seems clarity on what we can't do and smoke and mirrors around what we can!

Who is the King-maker?

Right now, for me, this is a structure for chaos. We are flying headlong into a crisis that can only result in a Hearts takeover once again, with a shiny new stand!

Fozzyonthefence
2 hours ago, Bull's-eye said:

Exactly.

Enjoy being top of the league 😀😀

Are you really enjoying watching this Hearts team playing in the Championship?  I did enjoy the last Championship season but this one has been dreadful in comparison.  

I have to say the days of Hearts losing and it ruining my Saturday night are long gone, I have more important things in my life now.   But times are difficult just now, life is generally shit and personally I need some entertainment in my life right now. I turn to sport for that and I make no apologies for wanting to see some entertainment when I watch sport and football in particular. It is supposed to be an entertainment after all and we’re not getting any.  

Everyone is different though, while some want to see entertaining football others are happy just to watch a turgid 1-1 at QOTS or 1-0 at Ayr where we barely create a chance let alone have a shot at goal and rely on a penalty to score.  Personally that does very little for me at the best of times let alone during a lockdown and I even finding myself wondering if I can be arsed watching a Hearts game that is free on council telly.  My 17 year old son was starting to go regularly to games - he hardly even watches us when we’re on tv now because it’s so boring.  I’m close to joining him. 

Worst seasons on my watch (1975-):

1978-79

1980-81

1981-82

1994-95

1998-99

2007-08

2012-13

2019-20

2013-14 would be on the list but our generous and thoughtful neighbours made it nowhere near as bad as it could have been.

1980/81 was the worst. If ever a season on the pitch reflected the state of a club off it then that was it. 

Iirc, I didn't attend another game after Morton put us out the Cup in the January. Not like me at all.

On the cheerier side, best seasons:

1977-78

1982-83

1983-84

1985-86

1987-88

1989-90

1990-91*

1991-92

1995-96

1996-97

1997-98

2002-03

2003-04

2005-06

2010-11

2011-12

2014-15

Favourite season would be 1997-98; favourite without a trophy, 1985-86.

*similar to 2013/14. An otherwise poor season but Hibs assisted. Cheers, suckers.

Dusk_Till_Dawn
6 minutes ago, Jambo61 said:

It is also the perfect opportunity for someone to grab the club by the scruff of the neck, change the approach, re-engage with the fans, give something back and energise the team.

Normally for that you need a decent manager and chairperson! A leader.

Need I say more?

I keep asking the same question and no one can answer it! No one even tries.

Budgie no longer owns the club. FoH are intentionally kept at arms length from the football decisions. The 'original' 25% shareholders seem elevated above FoH (even though their shares were worthless).

Who tells the so far anonymous Chief Executive what to do, what the future is, what isn't good enough? There seems clarity on what we can't do and smoke and mirrors around what we can!

Who is the King-maker?

Right now, for me, this is a structure for chaos. We are flying headlong into a crisis that can only result in a Hearts takeover once again, with a shiny new stand!

It’s not a structure for chaos. It’s just a structure for total mediocrity, which is what Budge is delivering (and quite happy with).

So far, the new CEO has tried to take the piss out of us over season tickets. That’s about it.

2 minutes ago, Fozzyonthefence said:

Are you really enjoying watching this Hearts team playing in the Championship?  I did enjoy the last Championship season but this one has been dreadful in comparison.  

I have to say the days of Hearts losing and it ruining my Saturday night are long gone, I have more important things in my life now.   But times are difficult just now, life is generally shit and personally I need some entertainment in my life right now. I turn to sport for that and I make no apologies for wanting to see some entertainment when I watch sport and football in particular. It is supposed to be an entertainment after all and we’re not getting any.  

Everyone is different though, while some want to see entertaining football others are happy just to watch a turgid 1-1 at QOTS or 1-0 at Ayr where we barely create a chance let alone have a shot at goal and rely on a penalty to score.  Personally that does very little for me at the best of times let alone during a lockdown and I even finding myself wondering if I can be arsed watching a Hearts game that is free on council telly.  My 17 year old son was starting to go regularly to games - he hardly even watches us when we’re on tv now because it’s so boring.  I’m close to joining him. 

Yes, I'm currently enjoying watching Hearts play football. I've always enjoyed watching them, it's called being a supporter.

Even more so now sitting on my arse doing **** all 50% of the week. I seriously look forward to the games all week long and cannot wait to be allowed back into the stadium to see my mates, smell the smells and taste the tastes, it's what football is all about in the real world. 

I feel sorry for most of the posters on here who get no enjoyment out of the game, I really do.

Shite way to live in my opinion.

Fozzyonthefence
3 minutes ago, Bull's-eye said:

Yes, I'm currently enjoying watching Hearts play football. I've always enjoyed watching them, it's called being a supporter.

Even more so now sitting on my arse doing **** all 50% of the week. I seriously look forward to the games all week long and cannot wait to be allowed back into the stadium to see my mates, smell the smells and taste the tastes, it's what football is all about in the real world. 

I feel sorry for most of the posters on here who get no enjoyment out of the game, I really do.

I genuinely feel sorry for you if you enjoyed watching Hearts play QOTS the other week.  Do you enjoy watching a shite film at the cinema too?

22 minutes ago, John Findlay said:

Thirty five years, sprog.

35 years means he has missed the real bad years.  Lucky man!  

Edited by Auldbenches

Jeffros Furios
3 hours ago, Dusk_Till_Dawn said:

The biggest load of shite I’ve ever read on here, which is quite saying something 

:greatpost:

36 minutes ago, Bull's-eye said:

My guess it is called having a life with some variety!

Dusk_Till_Dawn
3 minutes ago, Jambo61 said:

My guess it is called having a life with some variety!

It’s called having standards. Bulls-eye is the sort of supporter Budge loves. Not interested in performances or results and excited about the Sky Lounge’s tripadvisor rating.

1 hour ago, Fozzyonthefence said:

I genuinely feel sorry for you if you enjoyed watching Hearts play QOTS the other week.  Do you enjoy watching a shite film at the cinema too?

No, I don't, I dont support films or look forward to going the Cinema and if I'm at home watching a film I turn it over and watch something else if it's not to my taste.

Maybe I should finish it tgen head to a film forum and slag it off and tell everyone how Shit it was.......that would be really sad though, so I'll just keep turning over. 😀

Edited by Bull's-eye

49 minutes ago, Dusk_Till_Dawn said:

It’s called having standards. Bulls-eye is the sort of supporter Budge loves. Not interested in performances or results and excited about the Sky Lounge’s tripadvisor rating.

You don't half come out with some Shite. Your standards consist of moan, whine, sulk, piss your pants, rinse and repeat. 

If that's called standards then I bet you can't wait until you get to aged 10.

Fozzyonthefence
7 minutes ago, Bull's-eye said:

No, I don't, I dont support films or look forward to going the Cinema and if I'm at home watching a film I turn it over and watch something else if it's not to my taste.

Maybe I should finish it tgen head to a film forum and slag it off and tell everyone how Shit it was.......that would be really sad though, so I'll just keep turning over. 😀

But you did enjoy watching us play QOTS?  I can only assume you weren’t sober.

And I hate to break it to you but when you watch a game on BBC on Friday night the players on the park have no idea if you’re supporting them or not.  It makes no difference to them. 

Turning it over and watching something else is a good tip though, I’ll give you that. 

Have you never heard of film critics by the way? People actually get paid to do it. 

41 minutes ago, Fozzyonthefence said:

But you did enjoy watching us play QOTS?  I can only assume you weren’t sober.

And I hate to break it to you but when you watch a game on BBC on Friday night the players on the park have no idea if you’re supporting them or not.  It makes no difference to them. 

Turning it over and watching something else is a good tip though, I’ll give you that. 

Have you never heard of film critics by the way? People actually get paid to do it. 

I've enjoyed every game this season, only missed Alloa away.

Always enjoy watching us, always feel better afterwards when we win and it definitely helps my mood for the week ahead. A draw means I'm nonplussed and a defeat usually means I'm more unpleasant than normal for a day or 2. 

A Heart monitor will prove I'm enjoying the 90 minutes though. 

Fozzyonthefence
40 minutes ago, Bull's-eye said:

I've enjoyed every game this season, only missed Alloa away.

I don’t believe that.  You’re at it. 

Fozzyonthefence
46 minutes ago, JamesM48 said:

No . Last year was worse hence getting relegated 

Of course getting relegated is a worse feeling than getting promoted.  But are the performances any better this season?  That’s highly debatable. And at this stage we’re only comparing 18 league games against 30 but there were at least half a dozen really good performances last season - will we get to as many as that out of 27 this season?  Plus we didn’t get papped out of a cup by a diddy part time team last season. 

Edited by Fozzyonthefence

4 minutes ago, Fozzyonthefence said:

Of course getting relegated is a worse feeling than getting promoted.  But are the performances any better this season?  That’s highly debatable. And at this stage we’re only comparing 18 league games against 30 but there were at least half a dozen really good performances last season - will we get to as many as that out of 27 this season?  Plus we didn’t get papped out of a cup by a diddy part time team last season. 

Correct . In retrospect we were playing better opposition last year so naturally struggled but we we see style struggling in some games against scrappy teams 

Manorbranchalumni

Stendell had the culture at tynecastle sussed in less than a week, a country club for semi retired has beens with the tail wagging the dog.

He emptied Berra immediately to send a message to the rest of the loafers who come and went from training as they felt like it.

This of course didn't go down well with Budge who hated hearing from him that the organization was a badly run joke on the footballing side of things so she got rid of him in a sneaky underhand way, brought back a safe boring option and we're all back in a safe happy space.

Fozzyonthefence
32 minutes ago, JamesM48 said:

Correct . In retrospect we were playing better opposition last year so naturally struggled but we we see style struggling in some games against scrappy teams 

Of course it’s difficult to compare performances in a lower league because, as you say, the opposition we’re playing this season is poorer and therefore it’s all subjective.  I do think though that Hamilton, Ross County, Motherwell are an upgrade on Raith, Dunfermline, Dundee so god help us if there’s no money left in the kitty to upgrade this squad in the summer. 

This may not be the worst squad we’ve ever had playing in the 2nd tier but by god it’s by far the most expensively assembled one.  

2 hours ago, Bull's-eye said:

You don't half come out with some Shite. Your standards consist of moan, whine, sulk, piss your pants, rinse and repeat. 

"I've enjoyed every game this season"

🤣

23 minutes ago, Fozzyonthefence said:

Of course it’s difficult to compare performances in a lower league because, as you say, the opposition we’re playing this season is poorer and therefore it’s all subjective.  I do think though that Hamilton, Ross County, Motherwell are an upgrade on Raith, Dunfermline, Dundee so god help us if there’s no money left in the kitty to upgrade this squad in the summer. 

This may not be the worst squad we’ve ever had playing in the 2nd tier but by god it’s by far the most expensively assembled one.  

You hit nail on head the most expensive ! 

Joey J J Jr Shabadoo
1 hour ago, NANOJAMBO said:

"I've enjoyed every game this season"

🤣

:rofl:

I know. It's the most insipid football I've seen since Tommy McLean's shite.

2 hours ago, Manorbranchalumni said:

Stendell had the culture at tynecastle sussed in less than a week, a country club for semi retired has beens with the tail wagging the dog.

He emptied Berra immediately to send a message to the rest of the loafers who come and went from training as they felt like it.

This of course didn't go down well with Budge who hated hearing from him that the organization was a badly run joke on the footballing side of things so she got rid of him in a sneaky underhand way, brought back a safe boring option and we're all back in a safe happy space.

That’s got to be somewhere close to the facts of the matter.

6 hours ago, Bull's-eye said:

Ironic you saying someone else is coming out with shite, when that’s all I see in your posts. All you do is troll away, talk absolute shite and insult Hearts fans.

Guest ToqueJambo
10 hours ago, 3fingersreid said:

I admire your optimism but sometimes if you take a wee step back and look at what the figures/stats are for our clubs on field performances over the last 4 years , it’s simply not acceptable .

Im not saying we should be like the arse cheeks that expect victory every game but we certainly should have a top 6 ,top league team EVERY season . 

Yes we should have top 6 every season - top 4 IMO. Kind of hard for Neilson to do that this season though and in his previous two seasons he had us consistently top 3.

Guest ToqueJambo
9 hours ago, Rods said:

It’s not the worst team in 35 years. What it is turning out to be is biggest opportunity wasted since the SMG money. With the amount of money the fans are putting in we should be constantly 3rd and pushing the top of the table. 

You can add Romanov wasting the millions he spent. That was the biggest (and last) opportunity we've ever have at genuinely putting in a challenge to the OF. If he'd allowed a manager to build a team with the players we had, we could have been genuine title contenders for an extended period.

Dusk_Till_Dawn
4 hours ago, Manorbranchalumni said:

This is bang on the cash.

Guest ToqueJambo
17 hours ago, Cruyff said:

Is it an improvement? 

I'd say the reality is that we've found our level in the Championship. We find ourselves top, not because we're a good side but because we have the most resources and are fortunate enough to be able to afford the likes of Craig Gordon & Liam Boyce. 

That won't be the case next season, it's a step up and the completely unconvincing signings and performances do not exactly promote the belief that we can get back to a level we should be at next season under Neilson. 

We should have smoked this league and every team in it, yet you can count on one hand that sort of performance this season. It has been dreadful from game 1 until now. 

It depends on your expectations I suppose. I expected to be wining it easily but not as easily as last time due to the weird circumstances and uncertainty around planning for this season mostly.

I totally expected a patch where we'd play badly and for the other teams to up their game vs us in every game. Also had very low expectations for signings given the circumstances, so I was delighted to get Gordon and Kingsley and retain the likes of Boyce and Smith. Also happy to get GMS although that changed pretty quickly, until yesterday when he looked better.

Guest ToqueJambo
17 hours ago, The Grim Reaper said:

We’re in the Championship. The football is dreadful. 

It's not Neilson's fault we're in the championship.

6-2 Dundee

2-1 Caley

2-1 Hibs

3-1 Raith

3-0 Alloa

2-0 Morton

6-1 QoS

3-3 Celtic

5-3 Ayr

3-1 Arbroath

4-0 Raith

1-0 Dunfermline

Enjoyable matches for different reasons, good dominant perfomances, lots of drama, lots of goals or just a good goal or two, tight games, whatever. I get you want all of that in every game, but football isn't really like that for any team. 

Certainly a lot more to enjoy in the above than most of last season and we're only 2/3 through.

Edited by ToqueJambo

The Grim Reaper
2 minutes ago, ToqueJambo said:

It's not Neilson's fault we're in the championship. Off the top of my head:

6-2 Dundee

2-1 Caley

2-1 Hibs

3-1 Raith

3-0 Alloa

2-0 Morton

6-1 QoS

3-3 Celtic

5-3 Ayr

3-1 Arbroath

4-0 Raith

1-0 Dunfermline

Enjoyable matches for different reasons, good dominant perfomances, lots of drama, lots of goals, good goals, tight games, whatever. I get you want all of that in every game, but football isn't really like that for any team. 

Certainly a lot more to enjoy in the above than most of last season and we're only 2/3 through.

Did you have that pre-prepared? 🤣

You’re not going to convince me that this season hasn’t been dreadful, an embarrassment. 

Guest ToqueJambo
2 minutes ago, The Grim Reaper said:

Did you have that pre-prepared? 🤣

You’re not going to convince me that this season hasn’t been dreadful, an embarrassment. 

You seem pretty definite about this season being worse than last with zero to enjoy. I assumed you had a comparable list.

I know you WANT everyone to think Hearts are embarrassing this season but we really haven't been.

Edited by ToqueJambo

The Grim Reaper
Just now, ToqueJambo said:

You seem pretty definite about this season being worse than last with zero to enjoy. I assumed you had a comparable list.

If it’s not worse it’s equally as bad. 

Guest ToqueJambo
Just now, The Grim Reaper said:

If it’s not worse it’s equally as bad. 

It's not equally as bad. It's considerably better whether you look at the goals we've seen, SC performances, wins, league position... or all of those things. And far from being embarrassing, it wasn't long ago we were getting plaudits for being the highest scoring team in the country and for the way we played against Hibs and Celtic against all the odds. The last month - meh. If you think that the last month is an accurate reflection of the previous months you really haven't been watching us all season.

The Grim Reaper
1 minute ago, ToqueJambo said:

It's not equally as bad. It's considerably better whether you look at the goals we've seen, SC performances, wins, league position... or all of those things. And far from being embarrassing, it wasn't long ago we were getting plaudits for being the highest scoring team in the country and for the way we played against Hibs and Celtic against all the odds. The last month - meh. If you think that the last month is an accurate reflection of the previous months you really haven't been watching us all season.

I think the last month is an accurate reflection of the last 5 years. 

Guest ToqueJambo
5 hours ago, Fozzyonthefence said:

I don’t believe that.  You’re at it. 

Some people really enjoy the whole anticipation of match day and just like watching a game of football you know? 

Guest ToqueJambo
Just now, The Grim Reaper said:

I think the last month is an accurate reflection of the last 5 years. 

5 years of decline. You're right! Probably better to give the new manager more than 20 or so games to turn it around then eh?

Fozzyonthefence
Just now, ToqueJambo said:

Some people really enjoy the whole anticipation of match day and just like watching a game of football you know? 

I get the anticipation thing and especially when actually attending games, meeting friends, going for a pint.  But I’m not having it that a single Jambo enjoyed watching that 90 minutes v QOTS, that’s taking trolling to a new level! 

The Grim Reaper
1 minute ago, ToqueJambo said:

5 years of decline. You're right! Probably better to give the new manager more than 20 or so games to turn it around then eh?

He doesn’t have it in him to turn it around in my opinion which is why I want change. 

We’ve been down this road before with underperforming managers. He’ll get far to long before inevitably being removed. Another transfer window wasted. Another period of transition. I’m done with it. 

Bazzas right boot
8 minutes ago, ToqueJambo said:

I know you WANT everyone to think Hearts are embarrassing this season but we really haven't been.

How anyone can find a promotion season worse than the relegation one that came before it is beyond me. 

How does that even work out?

Relegation - boo, shite. 

Promotion- boo, shite. 

The mind boggles. 

Guest ToqueJambo
1 minute ago, Fozzyonthefence said:

I get the anticipation thing and especially when actually attending games, meeting friends, going for a pint.  But I’m not having it that a single Jambo enjoyed watching that 90 minutes v QOTS, that’s taking trolling to a new level! 

There are games you're glued to, games you abandon because we're getting a hiding, and games you chat to your mates through or, these days, have on in the background while you do something else. QoS fell into that last category for me - "phew we didn't lose" at the end basically. Doesn't change the fact that you can enjoy being able to watch your team even if it's a very flat game, so I can believe someone might have enjoyed that game. It is a bit of a masochistic past-time watching Hearts most of the time after all. It's definitely harder watching on TV though. At least at the ground you can still just enjoy being at Tynecastle during the meh games.

Guest ToqueJambo
3 minutes ago, The Grim Reaper said:

He doesn’t have it in him to turn it around in my opinion which is why I want change. 

We’ve been down this road before with underperforming managers. He’ll get far to long before inevitably being removed. Another transfer window wasted. Another period of transition. I’m done with it. 

And you're fix for that is.... another new manager! Another wasted window and another transition period. Good one mate, enjoy the trolling.

The Grim Reaper
2 minutes ago, Smith's right boot said:

How anyone can find a promotion season worse than the relegation one that came before it is beyond me. 

Relegation - boo, shite. 

Promotion- boo, shite. 

The mind boggles. 

**** off Tosh, you have no idea what you’re talking about. 

Guest ToqueJambo
3 minutes ago, Smith's right boot said:

Relegation - boo, shite. 

Promotion- boo, shite. 

The mind boggles. 

It's very boggling. The only reason I engage is to see if they can ever come up with a sensible rationale for their position that makes sense.