In my 35 years watching Hearts, is this the worst?

MCW1976

Guest ToqueJambo
2 hours ago, The Grim Reaper said:

The lack of crowds is the same for everyone. It is just another excuse to deflect from the actual issue which is the piss poor management of the first team/club. 

It's really not the same if one team is used to playing in front of packed stadium and the others are used to mostly empty ones.

• Replies 337
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Auldbenches

• The Grim Reaper

• Bazzas right boot

• Fozzyonthefence

Guest ToqueJambo
47 minutes ago, Auldbenches said:

Either that or is in his element defending this every other week...for four years.  

It's now only the same 4 or 5 posters claiming that things are on the right track. 

Remember when budge said that anything less than 4th was failure?  

And who is the only manager under Budge to ensure we're never lower than 4th?

Guest ToqueJambo
8 minutes ago, Paulp74 said:

My thoughts as well. The top companies and political parties all employ people to put a positive spin on social media. I'm convinced budge will be doing the same. It's the only way to explain any Hearts fan still being positive about the way things are going. 

So are you not more positive than this time last season? Generally most fans are happier when we're doing well, ie top of the league. There are some who seem incapable of coping with a bad run of form over a handful of games. Not sure how much they'll ever enjoying being a Hearts fan as we go on a. bad run every season - all teams do.

The Grim Reaper
5 minutes ago, ToqueJambo said:

It's really not the same if one team is used to playing in front of packed stadium and the others are used to mostly empty ones.

We’ve been shit for years man, with crowds too. 

Guest ToqueJambo
8 minutes ago, The Grim Reaper said:

They never miss an opportunity to disparage or belittle anyone that challenges them which doesn’t help their cause. They incite anger and negativity through their stubbornness and arrogance. 

The irony is is that I wanted both Levein and Neilson to succeed. So sick of the ineptitude of both the management and players now. It’s beyond a joke how bad we are. 

On the flip side you and others seem to revel in talking the club down. You literally seem to love it.

I hate watching Hearts at times but I tend to cope with those times by looking for positives and looking ahead to better times. I am almost incapable of slagging my own club off in public, no different to not being able to slag off a mate in a serious way no matter how annoying he gets sometimes - I'm honestly physically (or mentally) incapable of talking down Hearts. If a manager like Cathro latterly and Stendel do such a terrible job, or before them Tommy McLean, I absolutely lay into them. Someone like Levein I gave the benefit of the doubt as he did have a heart attack and a terrible run of injures, and he is one of my heroes so it's hard to have a sustained go.

Stendel might have done a decent job given time, but we don't know for sure he even wanted to continue this season. Neilson did a great job last time and is doing a more than acceptable job so far this time in unusual circumstances. Most reasonable people would agree with that.

Guest ToqueJambo
6 minutes ago, The Grim Reaper said:

We’ve been shit for years man, with crowds too. 

I like watching Hearts no matter how we're playing and whatever league we're in. I like being in a title battle even if it's not an actual battle just a slow jog to the finish line with a few stumbles. Sorry if that offends you.

I can't relate to supposed Hearts fans who rush to forums and social media to publicly slag off their team. Every fan I know of other clubs - Hibs, D td, Aberdeen - stick up for their teams when we start talking football. Every Hearts fan I know as well, no matter how badly we're doing. This slagging off your own team to the extent some do is very bizarre and unnatural behaviour.

Edited by ToqueJambo

6 minutes ago, ToqueJambo said:

So are you not more positive than this time last season? Generally most fans are happier when we're doing well, ie top of the league. There are some who seem incapable of coping with a bad run of form over a handful of games. Not sure how much they'll ever enjoying being a Hearts fan as we go on a. bad run every season - all teams do.

A bad run?! Lol. We've been rubbish for 5 years now. And being top of an extremely average championship is not doing well for us. A club of our size and resources should never be in this league. 

You must be at the wind up - or one of Budge's social media spin doctors! 🧐🤔

The Grim Reaper
7 minutes ago, ToqueJambo said:

On the flip side you and others seem to revel in talking the club down. You literally seem to love it.

I hate watching Hearts at times but I tend to cope with those times by looking for positives and looking ahead to better times. I am almost incapable of slagging my own club off in public, no different to not being able to slag off a mate in a serious way no matter how annoying he gets sometimes - I'm honestly physically (or mentally) incapable of talking down Hearts. If a manager like Cathro latterly and Stendel do such a terrible job, or before them Tommy McLean, I absolutely lay into them. Someone like Levein I gave the benefit of the doubt as he did have a heart attack and a terrible run of injures, and he is one of my heroes so it's hard to have a sustained go.

Stendel might have done a decent job given time, but we don't know for sure he even wanted to continue this season. Neilson did a great job last time and is doing a more than acceptable job so far this time in unusual circumstances. Most reasonable people would agree with that.

Who is revelling in it? More deflection. 

Guest ToqueJambo
4 minutes ago, Paulp74 said:

A bad run?! Lol. We've been rubbish for 5 years now. And being top of an extremely average championship is not doing well for us. A club of our size and resources should never be in this league. 

You must be at the wind up - or one of Budge's social media spin doctors! 🧐🤔

I genuinely don't think of seasons as running into each other - sorry. It's a new season with a new manager.

Guest ToqueJambo
1 minute ago, The Grim Reaper said:

Who is revelling in it? More deflection. 

You for real? This forum is a cesspit of negativity. Don't understand what people get out of it. When we started the season well and enjoyed a cup semi and gripping cup final, most of these folk were nowhere to be seen.

Edited by ToqueJambo

The Grim Reaper
1 minute ago, ToqueJambo said:

You for real? This forum is a cesspit of negativity. Don't understand what people get out of it.

The negatively stems from the chronic mismanagement of the academy and first team. 

Fozzyonthefence
27 minutes ago, ToqueJambo said:

So you don’t think Raith and Dunfermline will be missing playing in front of their normal 2k or 3k crowds?  Every team is used to be playing in front of their own crowds, whether it is big or small.  In the Premiership the atmosphere is only good when we play Hibs, OF and sometimes Aberdeen.  Against the other teams the atmosphere is shite as it would’ve have been all of this season. 

Why were we so bad last season playing at home then?  Apparently last season it was the fans fault for getting on the players’ backs.  This season it’s because there are no fans.  You happy clappers can’t have it both ways,  so which is it?!

Edited by Fozzyonthefence

15 hours ago, Des Lynam said:

Personally I don’t look on that season fondly. 

Firstly I think you did not understand what spoiled rotten meant or maybe your just being stupid . I was also a regular to tynie  that season as an 18 year old ,please tell me what was not to enjoy 31 games undefeated huge crowds at Tynecastle great atmosphere   Robbo. Sandy Clark  wee Jc   Henry Smith Gary Mackay indeed we were spoiled rotten !!  

Guest ToqueJambo
Just now, Fozzyonthefence said:

So you don’t think Raith and Dunfermline will be missing playing in front of their normal 2k or 3k crowds?  Every team is used to be playing in front of their own crowds, whether it is big or small.  In the Premiership the atmosphere is only good when we play Hibs, OF and sometimes Aberdeen.  Against the other teams the atmosphere is shite as it would’ve have been all of this season. 

Why were we so bad last season playing at home then?  Apparently last season it was the fans fault for getting on the players’ backs.  This season it’s because there are no fans.  You happy ckappers can’t have it both ways,  so which is it?!

I'm saying it's logical to think our players, most of who are used to playing in front of big crowds most of the time, will be more affected than players less used to that. It's not a very controversial opinion. It's even been proven by some research over the last year.

I'm not talking about what crowds actually DO at games - you're talking about that. Whether you support or boo your team when they're doing badly is your personal choice. Personally I try to encourage players while at a game rather than shout abuse. No different to watching my kids' games.

I'm talking about no crowds vs crowds. If you think no crowds isn't having an effect that's fine. It's a view I suppose.

Guest ToqueJambo
8 minutes ago, The Grim Reaper said:

The negatively stems from the chronic mismanagement of the academy and first team. 

It's a new season. Why harp on about previous mistakes when we have a new SD and manager barely in the door? Is the academy even running and training or playing games right now with covid and all that?

4 minutes ago, ToqueJambo said:

You for real? This forum is a cesspit of negativity. Don't understand what people get out of it. When we started the season well and enjoyed a cup semi and gripping cup final, most of these folk were nowhere to be seen.

It's a reflection of the reality which exists. A reality that you and some of your cohorts on here are either blind to or, fail to grasp. 

It has been beyond dreadful, the absolute pits for 5 years and now we find ourselves in the Scottish Championship toiling away against sides that we should be smoking cigars against. 

It's a ****ing joke how bad we've become on the pitch and off it, an absolute disgrace from top to bottom. Yet, still there are folk defending this shite and the folk that run the show. 

The Grim Reaper

It's a new season. Why harp on about previous mistakes when we have a new SD and manager barely in the door? Is the academy even running and training or playing games right now with covid and all that?

The new season is equally as bad if not worse than the last season and the season before that etc. etc. 

Sick to death of it. Complete waste of resources. 

Guest ToqueJambo
1 minute ago, Cruyff said:

It's a reflection of the reality which exists. A reality that you and some of your cohorts on here are either blind to or, fail to grasp. 

It has been beyond dreadful, the absolute pits for 5 years and now we find ourselves in the Scottish Championship toiling away against sides that we should be smoking cigars against. 

It's a ****ing joke how bad we've become on the pitch and off it, an absolute disgrace from top to bottom. Yet, still there are folk defending this shite and the folk that run the show. 

But we have a new SD, manager and players barely in the door. Who gives a shit about the last 5 years. Move on FFS. I have the same attitude to bad seasons as I do with bad games - forget them. I certainly don't rehash them over and over again. Why torture yourself?

The joy of football for me is you never know where a good win or good run or good season will come from. Literally anything could happen game to game and season to season. There is NEVER the steady progression some seem to crave and there is NEVER the steady decline some seem to expect. This season is far from the worst. It's an improvement on last which is good right?

14 minutes ago, ToqueJambo said:

This place will become more positive when the team start playing that way.  Using terms like 'most reasonable fans' is very budge like. 

We aren't slagging the club off to other fans, we are having a discussion on how we are playing and that is rubbish.  You say you are happy to wait for the good times to come.  The majority of fans are sick of waiting on things to happen. 

Budge herself said when appointing Stendel that we should see more attacking football as she knew that's what was pissing the fans off as much as losing.  

Are you saying we shouldn't be discussing any of tbe clubs bad points on here?  Where the feck are we supposed to talk about Hearts?  

Most reasonable fans are sick of shite boring football.  You are in the minority here. 

Guest ToqueJambo
3 minutes ago, The Grim Reaper said:

The new season is equally as bad if not worse than the last season and the season before that etc. etc. 

Sick to death of it. Complete waste of resources. 

You have to be kidding. The worst take I've seen on here all day. Bizarre. Almost insane in fact.

Guest ToqueJambo
Just now, Auldbenches said:

This place will become more positive when the team start playing that way.  Using terms like 'most reasonable fans' is very budge like. 

We aren't slagging the club off to other fans, we are having a discussion on how we are playing and that is rubbish.  You say you are happy to wait for the good times to come.  The majority of fans are sick of waiting on things to happen. 

Budge herself said when appointing Stendel that we should see more attacking football as she knew that's what was pissing the fans off as much as losing.  

Are you saying we shouldn't be discussing any of tbe clubs bad points on here?  Where the feck are we supposed to talk about Hearts?  

Most reasonable fans are sick of shite boring football.  You are in the minority here. 

Like when we were banging in the goals just a month or so ago?? **** me, some folk have the memory of a goldfish.

Like when we were banging in the goals just a month or so ago?? **** me, some folk have the memory of a goldfish.

Memory of a goldfish?  You forgotten the last four games or the last four seasons.  

Are reasonable fans the same as the real fans that budge mentioned?   

The Grim Reaper
6 minutes ago, ToqueJambo said:

You have to be kidding. The worst take I've seen on here all day. Bizarre. Almost insane in fact.

We’re in the Championship. The football is dreadful. 

Fozzyonthefence
5 minutes ago, ToqueJambo said:

I'm saying it's logical to think our players, most of who are used to playing in front of big crowds most of the time, will be more affected than players less used to that. It's not a very controversial opinion. It's even been proven by some research over the last year.

I'm not talking about what crowds actually DO at games - you're talking about that. Whether you support or boo your team when they're doing badly is your personal choice. Personally I try to encourage players while at a game rather than shout abuse. No different to watching my kids' games.

I'm talking about no crowds vs crowds. If you think no crowds isn't having an effect that's fine. It's a view I suppose.

Well on the basis of my research, we won only 2 home games last season so I’d argue it didn’t help performances with 17k watching us unless you’re trying to argue that with no crowds last season we would’ve been even worse and wouldn’t have won any at Tynie, do you?   Rangers performances this season are also much better despite missing out on being the 2nd best supported team in the country.  Surely they should be suffering hugely using your logic or is it just a convenient excuse when things are going badly (like Celtic)?

Also, you seem to think we’re doing really well this season anyway with no crowds so that seems to contradict your argument.  I’m not really sure the point you’re trying to make to be honest.  Are we doing well or are we pish because we’re disadvantaged by having no crowds?  

3 minutes ago, ToqueJambo said:

But we have a new SD, manager and players barely in the door. Who gives a shit about the last 5 years. Move on FFS. I have the same attitude to bad seasons as I do with bad games - forget them. I certainly don't rehash them over and over again. Why torture yourself?

The joy of football for me is you never know where a good win or good run or good season will come from. Literally anything could happen game to game and season to season. There is NEVER the steady progression some seem to crave and there is NEVER the steady decline some seem to expect. This season is far from the worst. It's an improvement on last which is good right?

Is it an improvement? 

I'd say the reality is that we've found our level in the Championship. We find ourselves top, not because we're a good side but because we have the most resources and are fortunate enough to be able to afford the likes of Craig Gordon & Liam Boyce. 

That won't be the case next season, it's a step up and the completely unconvincing signings and performances do not exactly promote the belief that we can get back to a level we should be at next season under Neilson. 

We should have smoked this league and every team in it, yet you can count on one hand that sort of performance this season. It has been dreadful from game 1 until now. 

31 minutes ago, Nessjambo67 said:

Firstly I think you did not understand what spoiled rotten meant or maybe your just being stupid . I was also a regular to tynie  that season as an 18 year old ,please tell me what was not to enjoy 31 games undefeated huge crowds at Tynecastle great atmosphere   Robbo. Sandy Clark  wee Jc   Henry Smith Gary Mackay indeed we were spoiled rotten !!  

you’re. 

Fozzyonthefence
15 minutes ago, ToqueJambo said:

Do you think the performances have been any better this season?  I’m not talking  about results against the posties and milkmen but have the performances actually improved?  Personally I think it’s debatable given the level of opposition we’re up against.  How many actual good performances has there been?  Last season was a complete shitshow but even then, off the top of my head I can think of 5 or 6 really good performances (not sure if Rangers cup win was a good one as didn’t see that) and thinking further, the majority of the good performances were under Stendel (unfortunately his bad ones were just as bad as Levein’s).  

How many performances this season have reached the standard of the 3 home games v Rangers last season, 3-1 at ER, 5-2 v St Mirren, 1-1 v Aberdeen with 10 men?  Might as well throw in the 5-0 v Airdrie too since we’re comparing shite with shite opposition. You have to accept as well that most of the piss poor performances last season when we were losing or drawing would be good enough to get results in this league unless you’re even more deluded than I thought. 

The Grim Reaper
2 minutes ago, Fozzyonthefence said:

Do you think the performances have been any better this season?  I’m not talking  about results against the posties and milkmen but have the performances actually improved?  Personally I think it’s debatable given the level of opposition we’re up against.  How many actual good performances has there been?  Last season was a complete shitshow but even then, off the top of my head I can think of 5 or 6 really good performances (not sure if Rangers cup win was a good one as didn’t see that) and thinking further, the majority of the good performances were under Stendel (unfortunately his bad ones were just as bad as Levein’s).  

How many performances this season have reached the standard of the 3 home games v Rangers last season, 3-1 at ER, 5-2 v St Mirren, 1-1 v Aberdeen with 10 men?  Might as well throw in the 5-0 v Airdrie too since we’re comparing shite with shite opposition. You have to accept as well that most of the piss poor performances last season when we were losing or drawing would be good enough to get results in this league unless you’re even more deluded than I thought. 

He’s just having a snide dig at Stendel. 

Fozzyonthefence
4 hours ago, ToqueJambo said:

Crowds affect games. It's not hard mate. 

Clearly missing the irony of the post you were replying to.  

29 minutes ago, Cruyff said:

Is it an improvement? 

I'd say the reality is that we've found our level in the Championship. We find ourselves top, not because we're a good side but because we have the most resources and are fortunate enough to be able to afford the likes of Craig Gordon & Liam Boyce. 

That won't be the case next season, it's a step up and the completely unconvincing signings and performances do not exactly promote the belief that we can get back to a level we should be at next season under Neilson. 

We should have smoked this league and every team in it, yet you can count on one hand that sort of performance this season. It has been dreadful from game 1 until now. 

We are into March and some posters think our coaching staff need time to get the team to perform better.   

BangkokHearts

We are awful and it stems from the fact we are soft as a sponge at the very core of the club. 

The last few years have shown we tolerate mediocrity, as a club and as fans.

This season has proved that some players in the team have not got the ability or desire to win games even in this league. 

Sequence of up and down between premier league and first division in the seventies was worse.

Doctor FinnBarr
20 hours ago, Glamorgan Jambo said:

Im old enough to remember the end of the Ormond era. In particular a spell of games in the Championship or First Division where nothing happened until the 88th minute when we scored a fluke goal. Literally happened 5 or 6 times. Then Ormond got sacked. We were top of the league at the time.

The last few games haven’t been quite as turgid but are getting close.

Ormond was a Hibs ******* though

Not the worst group of players by any means. No disrespect to grass roots football but any Sunday league coach with this group of players in this league would do better in terms of results and playing style. We are not getting the best out of our players because they are inhibited trying to follow coaching book instruction which will in turn provide favourable individual performance stats. We are trying to mould players instead of getting them fit, give them a formation and let them play. We are an example of everything that is wrong with modern coaching and guess what the players will get this week, more of the same, this has been going on for far too long with a succession of same minded head coaches. It is not opposition coaches that are stopping us, it is our own. I do not want Robbie out the door but if he is not capable of change he will be.

Dusk_Till_Dawn
6 hours ago, ToqueJambo said:

The biggest load of shite I’ve ever read on here, which is quite saying something 

I hate watching Hearts at times but I tend to cope with those times by looking for positives and looking ahead to better times.

I like watching Hearts no matter how we're playing and whatever league we're in. I like being in a title battle even if it's not an actual battle just a slow jog to the finish line with a few stumbles. Sorry if that offends you.

That’s two posts one after another , first one with saying at times you hate watching Hearts , the second says you like watching Hearts . 
Doesn’t take much to confuse me but this does .

Theres obviously a positive to this season over last , were at the correct end of the league table , just in the wrong bloody league . 

Ive shortened your posts but in one bit you say you give CL more time as he was a hero of yours , yes he had injuries with players to contend with but we also had 3 keepers signed by him who whilst injury free , were also inept and if we’d had just one half decent one , we might have actually won the Scottish cup and more likely than not , wouldn’t have been in the league were leading at the minute . That he can’t be excused for . 

I admire your optimism but sometimes if you take a wee step back and look at what the figures/stats are for our clubs on field performances over the last 4 years , it’s simply not acceptable .

Im not saying we should be like the arse cheeks that expect victory every game but we certainly should have a top 6 ,top league team EVERY season . 

9 hours ago, The Grim Reaper said:

If it’s not the lack of crowds, the pitch, the 22 mano’s or the colour of the grass, what is the problem?

Exactly.

Enjoy being top of the league 😀😀

17 minutes ago, gorgieheart said:

Nope... does nobody recall the utter turgid stuff churned out under Csaba...? 

cathro wins that prize, but the game , big cup draw with raith was ok

7 hours ago, ToqueJambo said:

I genuinely don't think of seasons as running into each other - sorry. It's a new season with a new manager.

so we’ve had a shit season, then a 2nd shit season, then a 3rd shit season...........etc

23 hours ago, MCW1976 said:

I'm not sure we were worse last season. Could the current side beat Rangers twice in close succession?

23 hours ago, Jamhammer said:

Cove Rangers maybe.

More like Berwick Rangers we would have a better chance of a win against 

2 hours ago, BangkokHearts said:

We are awful and it stems from the fact we are soft as a sponge at the very core of the club. 

The last few years have shown we tolerate mediocrity, as a club and as fans.

Correct.

It's a mentality that always (to my mind) oozed out of Easter Road for many, many years (and it showed in their gutless output season after season).

We cannot afford to go down that road.

We are soft. We have been tickled on the belly for 6 years. Yes, dogs like a tickle on the belly - but they are also capable of biting if mishandled. We need to start biting!

1 hour ago, Uilleam said:

This season has proved that some players in the team have not got the ability or desire to win games even in this league. 

Sequence of up and down between premier league and first division in the seventies was worse.

The desire part is the most worrying, how a pro cant motivate himself is beyond me.

1 hour ago, Skacelsid said:

Not the worst group of players by any means. No disrespect to grass roots football but any Sunday league coach with this group of players in this league would do better in terms of results and playing style. We are not getting the best out of our players because they are inhibited trying to follow coaching book instruction which will in turn provide favourable individual performance stats. We are trying to mould players instead of getting them fit, give them a formation and let them play. We are an example of everything that is wrong with modern coaching and guess what the players will get this week, more of the same, this has been going on for far too long with a succession of same minded head coaches. It is not opposition coaches that are stopping us, it is our own. I do not want Robbie out the door but if he is not capable of change he will be.

This is a good post imo.

Its a bit of a clichéd term these days but I feel for years we've been over coached. Like I guess the flip is someone like Stendel had a very definite style and a lot of coaching required to implement it, which is fine as you're actually playing a quite unique and targeted style.

But under Neilston and Levein (and his cohorts), its all been "how to play modern football for dummies". Possession is king. All about control. Total lack of risk.

And the truth is, that's totally outdated. The best teams play with risk.

The options as I see them for a team our size to be successful are 1) develop a true style to implement across the club, one which has true identity (you need to find someone like Stendel for this) 2) just bloody get people in the box

Option 2 may seem simple but it has been our issue for yeeeeaaars. We're bigger than most teams we play. We should be the aggressors in most games. Why are we "feeling our way in" to games all the time. Get on the front foot, play with aggression and commit bodies forward. Keep it simple and put majority of coaching resource into working on attitude and tempo.

It’s not the worst team in 35 years. What it is turning out to be is biggest opportunity wasted since the SMG money. With the amount of money the fans are putting in we should be constantly 3rd and pushing the top of the table.