In my 35 years watching Hearts, is this the worst?

MCW1976

Fxxx the SPFL
1 minute ago, ToqueJambo said:

This chimes with my experience. In real life people accept the circumstances of this season and are just enjoying having some football to watch while recognising the below par performances.

While this is not the relaxing experience of 14/15 - especially the last 4 or so games - it's worth remembering that we are the same number of points ahead that we were after 18 games that season. And also worth remembering it only felt comfortable in 14/15 because of what a good job Neilson did. Interestingly QoS were doing quite well that season at this stage as well.

can't argue with that TJ

• Replies 337
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Auldbenches

• The Grim Reaper

• Bazzas right boot

• Fozzyonthefence

There's no getting away from it, it's been poor for a long time. To think that we've been ahead in the last two Cup Finals with these jokers is almost beyond belief. One of the many things that is pissing me off with this squad, is why do we look so unfit? What's that all about?

The football is awful, none of the players seem to have any character or personality and I've no idea what our strongest 11 is, or what style of football we are trying to play.

Poorest? Definitely a candidate for me. 

10 hours ago, lost in space said:

I have watched Hearts for over 50 years and have season tickets with my son. This is not the worst team but this is the most disconnected I feel with the club and team.

In the past when team was bad - we knew it would improve with a new signing or 2 or with a new manager.

Now - I have lost optimism for the club.

The manager is as bad or worse than Levein.

The players could not care less.

The coaches are a joke.

No young players coming through.

Recruitment is awful.

Ann - who saved the club - seems to have backed away. Maybe good - but what are her replacements doing?

FoH reps do nothing - dont even communicate with the contributors.

I am now contemplating not buying season tickets for next year.

FoH contributions will continue for now but if I stop going to games, I doubt that they will continue "for ever".

Think we are all feeling the lack of connection because we are not going to games. With near full houses every week the performances would not be nearly as bad as they have been. Nor would they be allowed to be as bad as they have been. 
Lack of  crowds and playing at tinpot stadia are big reasons for the lousy quality imo. It’s the same all over the Uk. Most clubs fans are making the same comments. 

1 minute ago, Cruyff said:

The worst 5 seasons in a row in my lifetime. It's tragic. 

Rn. "I want to play with more width" ahem one of the narrowest pitches in Europe

Guest ToqueJambo

3 minutes ago, 160598 said:

Rn. "I want to play with more width" ahem one of the narrowest pitches in Europe

Tynecastle? Not following. Our best teams have always had width, whether with at least one winger like a JC, McCann, Johnston, Nicolson/Walker or whoever plus at least one attacking FB like a McKinlay, Paterson, etc. 

Francis Albert
44 minutes ago, ToqueJambo said:

This is worse than last season? Have people honestly lost their minds?

Yes. For Hearts playing in the second division is always worse than playing in the top flight. IMO.

I have hated every season in the lower division after I saw us relegated for the first time in.over 100 years of our history.

I've been watching Hearts since the early 80s and this is the worst spell for me, to the extent that I've lost interest in us. 

We've had crap spells in the past but for a year or two, not as prolonged as this current spell. 

I've never felt as disconnected to the club or group of players either. Ironic when we're meant to effectively be fan owned now. 

5 minutes ago, ToqueJambo said:

Tynecastle? Not following. Our best teams have always had width, whether with at least one winger like a JC, McCann, Johnston, Nicolson/Walker or whoever plus at least one attacking FB like a McKinlay, Paterson, etc. 

Yep usually one 

Guest ToqueJambo
6 minutes ago, 160598 said:

Yep usually one 

You don't get width just from wingers. Our better teams have always played with width on both sides, whether from a winger or FB or combination of both. Just didn't get your idea that Tynecastle is somehow not conducive to playing with width. Neilson has stated that's how he wants to play long-term - like most Hearts teams have. He's not married to two wingers IMO as he wants attacking FBs too.

Edited by ToqueJambo

The Grim Reaper
16 minutes ago, soonbe110 said:

Think we are all feeling the lack of connection because we are not going to games. With near full houses every week the performances would not be nearly as bad as they have been. Nor would they be allowed to be as bad as they have been. 
Lack of  crowds and playing at tinpot stadia are big reasons for the lousy quality imo. It’s the same all over the Uk. Most clubs fans are making the same comments. 

I’m sure the happy clappers identified the crowd as a contributor to poor performances at home pre Covid. 

Guest ToqueJambo
1 minute ago, The Grim Reaper said:

I’m sure the happy clappers identified the crowd as a contributor to poor performances at home pre Covid. 

Crowds affect games. It's not hard mate. 

You don't get width just from wingers. Our better teams have always played with width on both sides, whether from a winger or FB or combination of both. Just didn't get your idea that Tynecastle is somehow not conducive to playing with width.

Yeh yeh. All good but with a narrow pitch 2 aint easy. Look at the examples u gave...all serious pace or trickery. Weve had plenty recently and only gino seriously impressed as he is grease. Even gms mr speed looks slow

6 minutes ago, ToqueJambo said:

Crowds affect games. It's not hard mate. 

Fans are usually criticised for being too negative at games which supposedly gets to the players, what's the excuse with no fans there?  

Don't know about worse but definitely the most boring and frustrating, especially with the resources and new stand. 

Place should be buzzing when the fans are there and it's been rank for half a decade.  

Edited by Auldbenches

Guest ToqueJambo
2 minutes ago, 160598 said:

Yeh yeh. All good but with a narrow pitch 2 aint easy. Look at the examples u gave...all serious pace or trickery. Weve had plenty recently and only gino seriously impressed as he is grease. Even gms mr speed looks slow

We often played 2 in 14/15 and 15/16 to good effect - Walker and Nicolson were good under Neilson, plus Paterson attacking down the flank. It's been great seeing Neilson prioritising pace when he came in. Levein failed to address the lack of width, and pace in general, in several windows, and so did Stendel.

Guest ToqueJambo
3 minutes ago, The Grim Reaper said:

Crowds = bad

No crowds = bad

Crowds = can be good or bad, generally crowds getting behind the team is considered good

No crowds = bad

Not sure the above is a very controversial view. Unless you're a troll or contrarian or whatever persona you're trying to create for yourself online.

We often played 2 in 14/15 and 15/16 to good effect - Walker and Nicolson were good under Neilson, plus Paterson attacking down the flank. It's been great seeing Neilson prioritising pace when he came in. Levein failed to address the lack of width, and pace in general, in several windows, and so did Stendel.

Yep and id give my left nut to be have that combo again

The Grim Reaper
2 minutes ago, ToqueJambo said:

Crowds = can be good or bad, generally crowds getting behind the team is considered good

No crowds = bad

Not sure the above is a very controversial view. Unless you're a troll or contrarian or whatever persona you're trying to create for yourself online.

The lack of crowds is the same for everyone. It is just another excuse to deflect from the actual issue which is the piss poor management of the first team/club. 

49 minutes ago, ToqueJambo said:

This chimes with my experience. In real life people accept the circumstances of this season and are just enjoying having some football to watch while recognising the below par performances.

While this is not the relaxing experience of 14/15 - especially the last 4 or so games - it's worth remembering that we are the same number of points ahead that we were after 18 games that season. And also worth remembering it only felt comfortable in 14/15 because of what a good job Neilson did. Interestingly QoS were doing quite well that season at this stage as well.

I'm 100% sure that with crowds, we'd have a better squad and be at least another 5 or so points clear at the top.

You talk a lot of sense, I can't wait to get this season over and done with, promoted and then build for next season

4 minutes ago, The Grim Reaper said:

The lack of crowds is the same for everyone. It is just another excuse to deflect from the actual issue which is the piss poor management of the first team/club. 

The pitch is the same as well, also it's 11 v 11, the grass is the same colour for everyone as well. It's mano v mano.

Doing exceptionally well being top then. Thanks for your incite. 

32 years of age. Probably the worst. Last seasons team would beat this lot.

I bet Damour could turn up at training like Fernandinho and have absolutely no chance of a place in the squad. 

Clare, Garuccio, Bozanic, Damour, Ikpeazu, Washington and Lee could all play in a team that would easily beat this lot.

Christ, so could Roberts. It's this ****ing club man. Something is rotten.

The Grim Reaper
5 minutes ago, Bull's-eye said:

The pitch is the same as well, also it's 11 v 11, the grass is the same colour for everyone as well. It's mano v mano.

If it’s not the lack of crowds, the pitch, the 22 mano’s or the colour of the grass, what is the problem?

lost in space
38 minutes ago, soonbe110 said:

Thanks soonbe but - hearts have "lost their way".

The "thing" that kept us together has gone for me. 

This is not covid related.

Agree that had there been crowds, the players and coaches (charlatans) would have not have been allowed to sink so low but the energy and passion have gone.

The dis-connect is down to a cumulative of coach appointments/ player recruitment/ awful tactics/ cowardice/lack of young players/ lack of responsibilty.

We have seen bad times in the past - Robinson, Mercer (some great days). Vlad.

At least during the bad times, we had hope but right now, I see nothing but mediocrity and boredom for years ahead.

Can somebody show evidence- or at least signs of hope - of improvement?

Glamorgan Jambo

I still remember us playing dreadfully, O’Connor then getting a hat trick in about 15 mins to put us 3-0 up (sorry forgot who we were playing). Dex celebrated by running to the ‘refreshments’ and giving the forks to the fans who’d been on his back for weeks. Then we shipped 3 goals in the last 15 mins. If I remember correctly Ormond got sacked first thing on the Monday morning. Was one of the worst defensive performances I’ve seen anywhere ever (Jim Denny and Dave MacNicol).

Nothing I’ve seen this season comes close to the dross of the end of the Ormond era.

For all sorts of reasons this is a strange and unusual season. Bar the Huns every team

in Scotland has struggled with consistency.

And most in England too. Neilson’s job is to get us up. If he fails (don’t think he will) he’ll be gone. If he doesn’t get us top 6 next season he’ll likely go then. Folks wanting him replaced are dreaming. We need more

legs and pace in the team. Folks who are coming to the ends of their contracts will most certainly leave (Zlamal, Doyle, Berra, Frear, Wighton, Moore). Guys on longer contracts like Roberts, Naismith and even Damour won’t go anywhere unless they get a good financial offer or an interesting career move (a chance to do some coaching). 

Some people expecting a mass clear out will be disappointed.

12 hours ago, Glamorgan Jambo said:

Im old enough to remember the end of the Ormond era. In particular a spell of games in the Championship or First Division where nothing happened until the 88th minute when we scored a fluke goal. Literally happened 5 or 6 times. Then Ormond got sacked. We were top of the league at the time.

The last few games haven’t been quite as turgid but are getting close.

I remember Ormond getting sacked too and can remember him saying the day before or the day of his sacking, " we are top of the league, what more do the fans want,? after a game at Perth I think".

The football then was rank and similarities startling obvious however I feel this current crop has a far better calibre of player but the longer the likes of Naismith is allowed to strutt  around the park contributing absolutely nothing  nothing the more unlikely an upturn in performance is likely. 

1 hour ago, pablo said:

There's no getting away from it, it's been poor for a long time. To think that we've been ahead in the last two Cup Finals with these jokers is almost beyond belief. One of the many things that is pissing me off with this squad, is why do we look so unfit? What's that all about?

The football is awful, none of the players seem to have any character or personality and I've no idea what our strongest 11 is, or what style of football we are trying to play.

Poorest? Definitely a candidate for me. 

Hard to argue with ur comments. Personally i think age is a factor. 

Francis Albert
34 minutes ago, Bull's-eye said:

Doing exceptionally well? 

Playing outside the top league for only the sixth time in nearly 150 years.

How far have our standards fallen?;

40 minutes ago, Rick Sanchez said:

32 years of age. Probably the worst. Last seasons team would beat this lot.

I bet Damour could turn up at training like Fernandinho and have absolutely no chance of a place in the squad. 

Clare, Garuccio, Bozanic, Damour, Ikpeazu, Washington and Lee could all play in a team that would easily beat this lot.

Christ, so could Roberts. It's this ****ing club man. Something is rotten.

Jesus. I think ur right FFS

Glamorgan Jambo
18 minutes ago, thewiseone said:

I remember Ormond getting sacked too and can remember him saying the day before or the day of his sacking, " we are top of the league, what more do the fans want,? after a game at Perth I think".

The football then was rank and similarities startling obvious however I feel this current crop has a far better calibre of player but the longer the likes of Naismith is allowed to strutt  around the park contributing absolutely nothing  nothing the more unlikely an upturn in performance is likely. 

Regarding Naismith folks have to accept he’s here for the rest of this season and two more seasons afterwards. I thought he did okay coming on as a sub in Dumfries as well as both games at Hampden last year. We need to find a way to use him effectively because barring him getting a player manager’s gig somewhere (very unlikely) he’s going nowhere. 

He’s playing poorly just now so if I was

Neilson I’d bench him for the foreseeable. To be honest he’s behind Walker for

the No 10 slot just now. 

1 hour ago, Paulp74 said:

I've been watching Hearts since the early 80s and this is the worst spell for me, to the extent that I've lost interest in us. 

We've had crap spells in the past but for a year or two, not as prolonged as this current spell. 

I've never felt as disconnected to the club or group of players either. Ironic when we're meant to effectively be fan owned now. 

About where I am at. Since 1970 this must be the worst 5 years of decline year after year that I can remember.

Depressing doesn't not even cover it. 

33 minutes ago, Glamorgan Jambo said:

I still remember us playing dreadfully, O’Connor then getting a hat trick in about 15 mins to put us 3-0 up (sorry forgot who we were playing). Dex celebrated by running to the ‘refreshments’ and giving the forks to the fans who’d been on his back for weeks. Then we shipped 3 goals in the last 15 mins. If I remember correctly Ormond got sacked first thing on the Monday morning. Was one of the worst defensive performances I’ve seen anywhere ever (Jim Denny and Dave MacNicol).

Nothing I’ve seen this season comes close to the dross of the end of the Ormond era.

For all sorts of reasons this is a strange and unusual season. Bar the Huns every team

in Scotland has struggled with consistency.

And most in England too. Neilson’s job is to get us up. If he fails (don’t think he will) he’ll be gone. If he doesn’t get us top 6 next season he’ll likely go then. Folks wanting him replaced are dreaming. We need more

legs and pace in the team. Folks who are coming to the ends of their contracts will most certainly leave (Zlamal, Doyle, Berra, Frear, Wighton, Moore). Guys on longer contracts like Roberts, Naismith and even Damour won’t go anywhere unless they get a good financial offer or an interesting career move (a chance to do some coaching). 

Some people expecting a mass clear out will be disappointed.

Yip mate.

Clydebank, the great Crawford Boyd selling a last minute goal with a duffed pass back.

As for the OP, I cannot think of worse in the last 35 years. Sandy Clark had us in trouble with a few games to go. Signing Stevie Frail helped. The McLean came in and bored us to death. Relegation season has a tough watch, but the tryers gave us a few really good days. 

Edited by Tommy Brown

Fozzyonthefence
1 hour ago, soonbe110 said:

But we were just as bad last season in near full houses.  Big crowds didn’t stop us continually losing or drawing to bottom 6 clubs.  Many of these players are still here.  It’s embarrassing trotting that out as an excuse, same for all the teams playing with no fans.  What is to be - fans in big crowds getting on the players’ backs that is the problem or the lack of fans?  Or is it just that the players and last few managers haven’t been up to it?  

Anyone thinking everything will be ok when this group of players start playing in front of fans again has got their head stuck in the sand.  We have far bigger problems than no fans. 

Fozzyonthefence
1 hour ago, Auldbenches said:

Fans are usually criticised for being too negative at games which supposedly gets to the players, what's the excuse with no fans there?  

Don't know about worse but definitely the most boring and frustrating, especially with the resources and new stand. 

Place should be buzzing when the fans are there and it's been rank for half a decade.  

I’m actually beginning to think he’s a club plant rather than a troll. Just reels off excuse after excuse for piss poor performances.  

Been supporting us since 04/05.

This is the worst I have seen us play in all that time, the 07/08 season wasnt great but at least we didnt go down, the 13/14 season was crap but i seen alot more fight from the young players than our current bunch and at least we went down fighting, even though we got battered a few times that year. This season we are scrapping for draws in the scottish championship with a 9 million per year wage bill, with an squad of international standard players. Yes i know we are top, but we fecking should be! Raith win their two games in hand and the gap is only six points, which is more than possible although unlikely, The players just don't look interested to me, I know the pandemic hasn't helped but every team is in the same boat with that, its up to the coaching team to get the players up for it, which they are failing abysmally at, It's been absolutely brutal for the last 5 seasons in all honesty. The budge era has been a disaster on the park and apart from delivering the new stand and securing our clubs future financially by handing over to foh, it would be a complete disaster.

I just hope that this is our version of celtic's fergus mccann era. 

22 minutes ago, Glamorgan Jambo said:

Regarding Naismith folks have to accept he’s here for the rest of this season and two more seasons afterwards. I thought he did okay coming on as a sub in Dumfries as well as both games at Hampden last year. We need to find a way to use him effectively because barring him getting a player manager’s gig somewhere (very unlikely) he’s going nowhere. 

He’s playing poorly just now so if I was

Neilson I’d bench him for the foreseeable. To be honest he’s behind Walker for

the No 10 slot just now. 

Totally agree bar defending a couple of good performances in how long now ? I genuinely shouted thank ×××× when he got injured the other night and im not proud of it. Plays up top with strict instructions to do so or not at all. Jw who has taken pelters recently despite being a game changer must be like wtf

Fozzyonthefence
12 minutes ago, Shanks said:

Value for money wise with regards how much we are spending on our squad - this is easily the worst it has ever been. 

Certainly must be by far the biggest playing budget we’ve ever had in the second tier (even allowing for inflation, etc).  Even looking at 2014/15, it was pretty much youngsters with a few journeymen in it (Danny Wilson the only ex internationalist I can think of) - this squad has at least 5 internationalists plus the likes of Damour on expensive contracts.  We’re certainly not getting value for money. 

The Grim Reaper
11 minutes ago, Fozzyonthefence said:

I’m actually beginning to think he’s a club plant rather than a troll. Just reels off excuse after excuse for piss poor performances.  

Why would a normal fan go to the lengths these guys do to defend Levein and Neilson. It doesn’t make sense. 

19 minutes ago, Fozzyonthefence said:

Either that or is in his element defending this every other week...for four years.  

It's now only the same 4 or 5 posters claiming that things are on the right track. 

Remember when budge said that anything less than 4th was failure?  

Fozzyonthefence
16 minutes ago, The Grim Reaper said:

Why would a normal fan go to the lengths these guys do to defend Levein and Neilson. It doesn’t make sense. 

It’s not normal at all, certainly in relation to Levein.  I’m not a huge Neilson fan either but I can accept he did a good job last time, but not looking good this time. We live in difficult times, maybe baiting fellow fans is the only enjoyment they get out of life at the moment.  Doesn’t explain it pre Covid though🤷‍♂️.

18 minutes ago, Fozzyonthefence said:

Certainly must be by far the biggest playing budget we’ve ever had in the second tier (even allowing for inflation, etc).  Even looking at 2014/15, it was pretty much youngsters with a few journeymen in it (Danny Wilson the only ex internationalist I can think of) - this squad has at least 5 internationalists plus the likes of Damour on expensive contracts.  We’re certainly not getting value for money. 

Exactly, the amount of cash we are spunking away on this brutal squad is ridiculous. 

The past few years have been a massive wasted opportunity, financially we should be in our best ever position to - at the very least -  cement our place in 3rd but what are we doing?  ****ing about in the second tier, sheer incompetence by the losers running our club.  It’s laughable how badly we’ve been mismanaged. 

57 minutes ago, Fozzyonthefence said:

My thoughts as well. The top companies and political parties all employ people to put a positive spin on social media. I'm convinced budge will be doing the same. It's the only way to explain any Hearts fan still being positive about the way things are going. 

The Grim Reaper
1 minute ago, Fozzyonthefence said:

It’s not normal at all, certainly in relation to Levein.  I’m not a huge Neilson fan either but I can accept he did a good job last time, but not looking good this time. We live in difficult times, maybe baiting fellow fans is the only enjoyment they get out of life at the moment.  Doesn’t explain it pre Covid though🤷‍♂️.

They never miss an opportunity to disparage or belittle anyone that challenges them which doesn’t help their cause. They incite anger and negativity through their stubbornness and arrogance. 

The irony is is that I wanted both Levein and Neilson to succeed. So sick of the ineptitude of both the management and players now. It’s beyond a joke how bad we are.