In my 35 years watching Hearts, is this the worst?

MCW1976

• Replies 337
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Auldbenches

• The Grim Reaper

• Bazzas right boot

• Fozzyonthefence

47 minutes ago, Nelly Terraces said:

I’m old enough to remember the late 70s/early 80s  & yes, it was dreadful (league crowd of 1800 v Killie anyone?) but this is comparable in that the football the last FIVE years has been turgid, boring & above all so totally ineffective it’s taken us to the point of calamitous relegation (sorry, don’t care what people say, if the league had carried on that bunch of no hopers weren’t  digging out the hole we were in). A revolving door of journeymen garbage coming & going with nobody anyone could ever describe as a club hero & the club just drifting along in a sea of utter mediocrity. The similarities are pretty consistent in the periods, then & now.

Guess back in the day I was just a young laddie who went along excited no matter what, but the current situation literally has me dreading wasting my valuable free time watching this pointless rubbish, it really is just the most tedious spectacle & the managers post match comments last night don’t lead me to believe it’s going to change for the better anytime soon.

Same boat for me, Nelly.

The 1970's/early '80's were the worst years in Hearts' history but I was buffeted against it by childhood optimism and the sheer thrill of attending games.

2017 on, has been the poorest Hearts have been in my adult life. There's little to suggest it's going to get better anytime soon.

High time there were sweeping changes at boardroom level to shake us out of this ongoing malaise.

It's the only hope I have.

A_A wehatethehibs
Just now, 1971fozzy said:

Last season was most definitely worse.  By a long shot

End of the day this season is the consequence of the outcome of last season. That’s what happens when you get demoted. But as long as we can get back up first try. That is the be all and end all.

Not the worst Hearts team I have seen in the sixty odd years I have watched them. Certainly far from one of the best.  My problem with this team is the pedestrian way they go about their business. No incisiveness, little cutting edge and from some of the no obvious desire.  Now I don’t know if this is the way they are being told to play  - if it is then a change at the top is needed. 

Edited by Deevers

I kinda get what the op is maybe getting at.

I can't massively in my 40 years watching, remember a time I've been less entertained by Hearts. Like for a good couple of years, bar the odd performance against Hibs or Rangers, and the unpredictability of Daniels style, week after week has been boring. Every game is a trudge.

Duno, maybe that's just football now!! Maybe other teams are as bad!!!!!

But I have to say, even me, happy clapper supreme is finding it a chore just now.

4141 against ICT who've played like 19 times in a week and have a new, interim, manager??! Get after them, man!!!!

I honestly wish we'd just go direct. The past two games, we've looked most dangerous when we've simply got the ball in the box. So let's just do it. Pin teams in and bombard them.

3 minutes ago, Robbo-Jambo said:

Nothing great is rather a large understatement. 

The last four games in a row have been embarrassing. 

The mighty Ayr, Q of South, Morton and Inverness have given us major problems. 

Now an off game is fair enough or possibly two games in a row you would possibly accept. 

The fact that we have now played 4 teams in a row in this tinpot league and there has been no sign of an improvement or something different tried is telling me that there is something far wrong behind the scenes at our club. 

All imo of course. 

5 games imo. Good post though. Neilson talked at the beginning of the season about three different formations he was going to play.  Since then it’s been 4-2-3-1 almost constantly.  Was obvious it needed tweaked after pars game and here we are. Groundhog Day. 

kingantti1874
8 minutes ago, GinRummy said:

That’s only 3. 😀

i know 😆 when I went through them I couldn’t think of anyone else.. I like souttar but given his injury problems would I be annoyed if he left? Sadly no.. 

Bazzas right boot
8 minutes ago, 1971fozzy said:

6 minutes ago, A_A wehatethehibs said:

End of the day this season is the consequence of the outcome of last season. That’s what happens when you get demoted. But as long as we can get back up first try. That is the be all and end all.

Correct. 

8 minutes ago, TheBigO said:

I can't massively in my 40 years watching, remember a time I've been less entertained by Hearts. Like for a good couple of years, bar the odd performance against Hibs or Rangers, and the unpredictability of Daniels style, week after week has been boring. Every game is a trudge.

But I have to say, even me, happy clapper supreme is finding it a chore just now.

4141 against ICT who've played like 19 times in a week and have a new, interim, manager??! Get after them, man!!!!

I honestly wish we'd just go direct. The past two games, we've looked most dangerous when we've simply got the ball in the box. So let's just do it. Pin teams in and bombard them.

Good call.

Took us 85 minutes to work that out last night, and then amazingly had 2-3 really good chances to win the game.

Who would have thought??

lost in space

I have watched Hearts for over 50 years and have season tickets with my son. This is not the worst team but this is the most disconnected I feel with the club and team.

In the past when team was bad - we knew it would improve with a new signing or 2 or with a new manager.

Now - I have lost optimism for the club.

The manager is as bad or worse than Levein.

The players could not care less.

The coaches are a joke.

No young players coming through.

Recruitment is awful.

Ann - who saved the club - seems to have backed away. Maybe good - but what are her replacements doing?

FoH reps do nothing - dont even communicate with the contributors.

I am now contemplating not buying season tickets for next year.

FoH contributions will continue for now but if I stop going to games, I doubt that they will continue "for ever".

The worst I've seen since the dark days of the 70s and arguably worse given that unlike the board back then, the current lot have been backing the managers with cash to sign what are ostensibly players good enough to arrest the decline (yeah, I know, there's been a load of shit signed too). 

There's a malaise about the club , a sense that "we're Hearts, we don't panic" and that throwing money at the problem will see us through. Back in the 70s there were near riots to have the board ousted but now he have a board that frankly is shameless. Given what they've presided over in the last 5 years is totally unacceptable - or would be anywhere else. 

There's no urgency, there's no energy, there's no sense of connection (certainly for me) with the players now (or in recent years) and all led by a sequence of the most dour, uninspiring managers you can imagine (I exclude DS). 

1 hour ago, MCW1976 said:

I was spoiled rotten when I was taken to Tynecastle in 1985/86. I know there are periods during parts of the 70's and early 80's when it was - according to my dad - torturous. I know we have had a few bad sides in the last 35 years. But, I'm cannot think of a time when it's been worse to watch/follow?

Apologies if I'm rehashing an previous discussion.

We've been worse than this. Some of the football during the yo-yo years was brutal much worse than this. Doesn't alter the fact that we are dire to watch currently.

3 minutes ago, merrymac said:

Good call.

Took us 85 minutes to work that out last night, and then amazingly had 2-3 really good chances to win the game.

Who would have thought??

I know. Actually last 15 of 1st half, we went a bit more direct and played off Kastaneer, who did well in that role (tho can see why we brought Gnando on)

Then we stopped doing it and started passing about and forgetting you tend to score if the ball is somewhat near the oppositions goal!!!

Салатные палочки

Definitely the worst in my lifetime. 93-95 was pretty pish but we weren't relegated and still beat Hibs, Celtic, Rangers, Atletico Madrid. Csaba was brutal (but we still qualified for Europe), Frail was brutal (not really his fault in fairness). But this is the absolute worst I have seen. I can't believe we are 12 points clear (for now) and still I can't get excited about it. I didn't even react to our equaliser last night. 

We are a horrible team to watch, the mood around the club just seems flat. The last time we were in the championship it looked like everyone was up for every game. When we scored, the whole team smiled and celebrated. This mob just don't seem interested. At one point last night I seen Boyce picking up the ball in our own half. Our best striker playing in midfield. What is the plan there? 

None of the signings, McEneff aside (mainly because he likes to get his foot on the ball, drive forward and take a dig from distance) excite me. 

It's telling that I ended up watching a video on YouTube of us scoring goals against Rangers rather than watch the here and now. They just depress and bore me. 

19 minutes ago, GinRummy said:

5 games imo. Good post though. Neilson talked at the beginning of the season about three different formations he was going to play.  Since then it’s been 4-2-3-1 almost constantly.  Was obvious it needed tweaked after pars game and here we are. Groundhog Day. 

Yip, you could easily class it as five games in a row. 

He tends to only talk a good game but can't implement any changes whatsoever. 

Groundhog day, indeed 😕

13 minutes ago, NANOJAMBO said:

The worst I've seen since the dark days of the 70s and arguably worse given that unlike the board back then, the current lot have been backing the managers with cash to sign what are ostensibly players good enough to arrest the decline (yeah, I know, there's been a load of shit signed too). 

There's a malaise about the club , a sense that "we're Hearts, we don't panic" and that throwing money at the problem will see us through. Back in the 70s there were near riots to have the board ousted but now he have a board that frankly is shameless. Given what they've presided over in the last 5 years is totally unacceptable - or would be anywhere else. 

There's no urgency, there's no energy, there's no sense of connection (certainly for me) with the players now (or in recent years) and all led by a sequence of the most dour, uninspiring managers you can imagine (I exclude DS). 

That's where I am at as well. 

Good post. 

2 hours ago, MCW1976 said:

I was spoiled rotten when I was taken to Tynecastle in 1985/86. I know there are periods during parts of the 70's and early 80's when it was - according to my dad - torturous. I know we have had a few bad sides in the last 35 years. But, I'm cannot think of a time when it's been worse to watch/follow?

First season for me was 79/80 which was pretty dark times with the likes Archie White and the Pat McShanes of the world. Watching these guys could have put me off for life but being younger and very enthusiastic I still got excited about going to Tynecastle every other week. The last few seasons I have found going to the matches  more of a chore and a habit to be honest. Currently if Neilson remains in charge next season I will have to think long and hard about breaking something I've done for 41 years. 

We are now in a position, as said by RN himself, where we are competitive with Alloa, Ayr and QotS.

That is the levels he has coached this squad to, and seems proud of it as well.

1 hour ago, 1971fozzy said:

Yeah but we were playing teams in a league above that’s the difference. We got beat at Alloa remember?

No real spine to the side or player to build a team around. I don't get the feeling they are that committed either. No fans definitely doesn't help. 

3 hours ago, MCW1976 said:

Funny I was thinking this quite recently.  The worst I remember was the 81/82 season aged 12.  That team missed out on promotion to a 10 team top league finishing 3rd.  

The worst part of that season was under Tony Ford. Before the end Alex Mcdonald was appointed by a fresh faced Wallace Mercer and we were on the up.

The current team would draw 0-0 with Tony Ford's 11.

alwaysthereinspirit
4 hours ago, MCW1976 said:

Only you can answer your thread title question.

3 hours ago, TheBigO said:

Massively agree (and I can go back 65 years).

Even in the 70s when we were up and down like a yoyo, we still had some character.

4 hours ago, Jamhammer said:

We’ve been worse

We were worse last season

It’s pretty soul destroying to watch though

I think we were better last seasonThis team is absolutely horrific. Some of the players I watched last night can’t even manage the basics of football. The amount of bad first touches and control of the ball and misplaced passes is absolutely embarrassing for a Hearts team. 
We never won many games last year but we were playing to a better level than we are this season. The teams we are playing are extremely poor and most premier league teams would defeat them easily. We are struggling in every game now yet our manager still sticks with the same players and system. Something has to change or we could yet be caught in this league as I can’t see us beating anybody in this league. 
If teams keep it tight and are well organised we have no clue how to break that down. Add that to the fact we are now conceding a goal a game and we are in big trouble!! 

It's the worst Hearts have been in my memory, along with last season.

We're just so bland, tepid, boring and have no personality in the players, the team or how we play.

The last few years have in the main been an absolute chore to support Hearts.

Edited by Taffin

1 minute ago, Taffin said:

It's the worst Hearts have been in my memory, along with last season.

We're just so bland, tepid, boring and have no personality in the players, the team or how we play.

The last few years have in the main been an absolute chore to support Hearts.

I’ve said it before it like every game is the same. One long, one paced boring game of football where you would turn off after 2 minutes if you didn’t support the team playing. 
Robbie has a massive job on his hands to change it. Sadly I don’t see him lasting more than 3 months next season with the fans back. Most are now at the stage where enough is enough!!

Since the mid sixties when I started watch Hearts, I have never witnessd such an apathetic bunch of Footballers.  We had poor teams in the past, but they gave their all for the Jersey. Coming off the park, strips filthy sometimes bloody, and covered in sweat. At least we knew they were trying to win Football matches.

Now I see a bunch of unfit uncaring and lazy excuses for a Footballer. Our skill level throughout the team is woeful, our control and passing terrible. All they excel in is passing it along the back, until an opposition player presses them into a hoof.

We are being dumbed down in our expectations every week to accept mediocrity.

4 hours ago, MCW1976 said:

I'm a little confused about your stance. I can only presume you mean that we didn't actually win the league or cup? However, as a 9 year old starting out at Tynecastle for the very first time, then it never got any better than that for me (as a team who, to a 9/10 year old, beat nearly everyone put in front of them (I'm sure they went about 30 games unbeaten).

But, maybe you think we've been better than that.

Anyway, sorry I turned your milk sour. Hope the cornflakes were still edible.

Believe me .... we were awful for quite a few games in 85/86.     Clydebank away for example - playing hoofball in a gale, lost 1-0.     The 1-1 draw at home to Dundee (which started the unbeaten run) was seen as "good" compared to the  rubbish of the previous few weeks.

6 minutes ago, Lone Striker said:

Believe me .... we were awful for quite a few games in 85/86.     Clydebank away for example - playing hoofball in a gale, lost 1-0.     The 1-1 draw at home to Dundee (which started the unbeaten run) was seen as "good" compared to the  rubbish of the previous few weeks.

You had to be around 76-83 to see an abysmal team lose games to minnows most weeks.  Home crowds were averaging under 5000 .  Getting beat at Tynie 5-2 by Dumbarton is still in my memory nearly 40 years later as is a midweek defeat at Clydebank where the SCAB bus driver took the wrong road and ended up driving around Loch Lomond.

We have been piss quite a lot over my time following The Hearts, This occasion however: I feel no love for the players currently pulling on the Maroon.
They have it so bloody easy, better underperforming Hearts teams of the past have been absolutely slaughtered for poor results due to the presence of us fans.

These cnts are getting away with it, week in week out, *** if I was one of them I would be losing sleep, not this bunch of empty fecking tracksuits though, not a care in the world.

We have 2 or 3 worth pulling on the strip and 1 of them is almost 40, says it all...

12 points clear in a tinpot league, 6 points ahead if it all hits the fan but still there are folk on here that are accepting this sht show..

Sad Times..
HHGH FTh

We have been piss quite a lot over my time following The Hearts, This occasion however: I feel no love for the players currently pulling on the Maroon.
They have it so bloody easy, better underperforming Hearts teams of the past have been absolutely slaughtered for poor results due to the presence of us fans.

These cnts are getting away with it, week in week out, *** if I was one of them I would be losing sleep, not this bunch of empty fecking tracksuits though, not a care in the world.

We have 2 or 3 worth pulling on the strip and 1 of them is almost 40, says it all...

12 points clear in a tinpot league, 6 points ahead if it all hits the fan but still there are folk on here that are accepting this sht show..

Sad Times..
HHGH FTh

The last year or two have been the worst for effort I can remember.

Folk moan about the fans being entitled nowadays, but with the 3rd or 4th biggest budget in the country I don't think it's too much to expect to look like convincing champions to be in the 2nd tier.

Good managers know when to put an arm round the shoulder and when to put a rocket up the arse, but you get the feeling that rockets have been banned at Tynecastle, and when things aren't going well everyone has to sit in a circle and sing Kumbaya.

Soft from top to bottom, we must be the best club in the country for journeymen to collect their final lucrative contract before retirement.

Is this the worst Hearts team I’ve seen? No. The most underperforming? By a country mile!

We’ve got a squad strong enough where we could field a team that’s two thirds internationals yet we are the team that’s changing tactics two or 3 times a game to get a point off the likes of Morton qos and ict?

Other than Hickey I can’t think of a player that’s recently improved at Hearts with many players progressively getting worse. God knows what we actually use one of the best training facilities Olin the country for because it’s neither fitness nor footballing basics.

12 minutes ago, Alec Eiffel said:

You had to be around 76-83 to see an abysmal team lose games to minnows most weeks.  Home crowds were averaging under 5000 .  Getting beat at Tynie 5-2 by Dumbarton is still in my memory nearly 40 years later as is a midweek defeat at Clydebank where the SCAB bus driver took the wrong road and ended up driving around Loch Lomond.

Ha-ha .... he probably did you a favour actually.  😀  Was SCAB the club with Stan Wood at the helm ?  Quite a   ahem...."character".  A wizard at finding dinosaur bones though.

3 hours ago, Lone Striker said:

Yes, there were some bad results. 6-2 away to St Mirren (I think?).

My opening remark was merely meant to suggest that, at 9 years old, getting taken to Tynecastle couldn’t really have been that much better of an introduction (in the whole).

7 hours ago, Boris5115 said:

First season for me was 79/80 which was pretty dark times with the likes Archie White and the Pat McShanes of the world. Watching these guys could have put me off for life but being younger and very enthusiastic I still got excited about going to Tynecastle every other week. The last few seasons I have found going to the matches  more of a chore and a habit to be honest. Currently if Neilson remains in charge next season I will have to think long and hard about breaking something I've done for 41 years. 

Ive heard my dad mention Archie White to me. He equates that name with the worst of times.

6 minutes ago, MCW1976 said:

Yes, there were some bad results. 6-2 away to St Mirren (I think?).

My opening remark was merely meant to suggest that, at 9 years old, getting taken to Tynecastle couldn’t really have been that much better of an introduction (in the whole).

Aaaaahhh .... the innocence of youth 😀 👍

2 minutes ago, MCW1976 said:

Ive heard my dad mention Archie White to me. He equates that name with the worst of times.

Trust me and your Dad this guy was horrific. He makes Frear look like Messi. 

3 hours ago, Ribble said:

Is this the worst Hearts team I’ve seen? No. The most underperforming? By a country mile!

We’ve got a squad strong enough where we could field a team that’s two thirds internationals yet we are the team that’s changing tactics two or 3 times a game to get a point off the likes of Morton qos and ict?

Other than Hickey I can’t think of a player that’s recently improved at Hearts with many players progressively getting worse. God knows what we actually use one of the best training facilities Olin the country for because it’s neither fitness nor footballing basics.

That’s fair comment.

Ive seen worse Hearts teams (worse players) who would batter the current crop of half-bothered merchants.

7 hours ago, Jambo61 said:

I suffered the late 60's onwards and let me say, this current 'heavy period' seems far duller, poorer football and player application with no sign of ending the suffering any year soon! At least the 70's mob looked like they were trying, just not very good!

Bang on the money 

Guest ToqueJambo
11 hours ago, MCW1976 said:

A few spring to mind. Typically for a while after a good season we'd have a vey disappointing one, because expectations had been raised. That happened for a while under Doddie and JJ. In a typical 3 year spell you'd have one good, one comparatively poor and one meh.

2007/08 was a shocker, especially considering the money spent on the team. It was a massive shock to finish in 8th after never finishing outwith the top 6 since the SPL's formation.

2008/09 - the football under Laszlo was the worst, most boring I've ever seen. Lucky to see one shot on goal in a typical game.

Last season however was the worst by a very long way. It's ridiculous to even mention it in the same breath as this season - whether you look at it in terms of results or performances or both. Last season I can think of 4 or 5 games I genuinely enjoyed. This season, what 75% through, I can think of maybe 9 or 10 at least, including a couple of narrow wins as personally I enjoy a hard fought 1-0 or 2-1 win. Couple of narrow wins against Caley and Dunfermline spring to mind. 

Edited by ToqueJambo

Guest ToqueJambo
9 minutes ago, Francis Albert said:

In 35 years? Nothing worse. This is rock bottom.

This is worse than last season? Have people honestly lost their minds?

Fxxx the SPFL
11 hours ago, GavK1012 said:

This.

4 solid years of performances and attitudes by staff that smacks of disinterest and lack of passion now has rubbed off on me. 

No connection or affinity to anyone at the club.

Remember RN saying the staff would use our treatment as extra motivation in games 🙈

Quite a few fans have already found other uses re their time and money and more to follow. The apathy by all staff is quite staggering, including RN and the poor use of words after games to engage with fans...

Don't agree with the sentence I've highlighted we all move in different circles i can only speak for myself my partner and a good few mates who are all still FoH subscribers (for life for me) watch the games on TV and Hearts TV. Yes it's been poor stuff recently but hey we are top by a mile and will win the league it's all about getting back up after getting punted down by dodgy goings on at the SFA/SPFL/Smeltic. We need to be buying well in the summer get rid of the ones who are not fit for purpose and be challenging for the top three places IMO

12 hours ago, MCW1976 said:

Early 80’s def worst. We had three terrible seasons in a row. Think we finished bottom of top league with 18 points from 36 games.(24 in today’s points system ). Couldn’t even finish top 2 in second div next season. 

Guest ToqueJambo
8 minutes ago, **** the SPFL said:

Don't agree with the sentence I've highlighted we all move in different circles i can only speak for myself my partner and a good few mates who are all still FoH subscribers (for life for me) watch the games on TV and Hearts TV. Yes it's been poor stuff recently but hey we are top by a mile and will win the league it's all about getting back up after getting punted down by dodgy goings on at the SFA/SPFL/Smeltic. We need to be buying well in the summer get rid of the ones who are not fit for purpose and be challenging for the top three places IMO

This chimes with my experience. In real life people accept the circumstances of this season and are just enjoying having some football to watch while recognising the below par performances.

While this is not the relaxing experience of 14/15 - especially the last 4 or so games - it's worth remembering that we are the same number of points ahead that we were after 18 games that season. And also worth remembering it only felt comfortable in 14/15 because of what a good job Neilson did. Interestingly QoS were doing quite well that season at this stage as well.

I'm 100% sure that with crowds, we'd have a better squad and be at least another 5 or so points clear at the top.

Edited by ToqueJambo