In my 35 years watching Hearts, is this the worst?

MCW1976

I was spoiled rotten when I was taken to Tynecastle in 1985/86. I know there are periods during parts of the 70's and early 80's when it was - according to my dad - torturous. I know we have had a few bad sides in the last 35 years. But, I'm cannot think of a time when it's been worse to watch/follow?

Apologies if I'm rehashing an previous discussion.

• Replies 337
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Auldbenches

• The Grim Reaper

• Bazzas right boot

• Fozzyonthefence

Just now, Jamhammer said:

We’ve been worse

We were worse last season

It’s pretty soul destroying to watch though

I'm not sure we were worse last season. Could the current side beat Rangers twice in close succession?

Just now, MCW1976 said:

I'm not sure we were worse last season. Could the current side beat Rangers twice in close succession?

Cove Rangers maybe.

Just now, Des Lynam said:

85-86.  

:what:

You can’t think of a time we were worse than this? Really? 

My first sentence says I was 'spoiled rotten' in 1985/86. Not sure how else to refer to that season? You do know what I mean when I say I (we) we spoiled rotten, don't you?

1 minute ago, MCW1976 said:

My first sentence says I was 'spoiled rotten' in 1985/86. Not sure how else to refer to that season? You do know what I mean when I say I (we) we spoiled rotten, don't you?

You think 85-86 was us being spoilt rotten? Really? 

6 minutes ago, Jamhammer said:

We’ve been worse

Disagree. Playing better teams last year. We would be well adrift with this lot.

9 minutes ago, MCW1976 said:

I was spoiled rotten when I was taken to Tynecastle in 1985/86. I know there are periods during parts of the 70's and early 80's when it was - according to my dad - torturous. I know we have had a few bad sides in the last 35 years. But, I'm cannot think of a time when it's been worse to watch/follow?

I'm with you mate. Been watching Hearts since early 80's and this is the worst team I have seen. I can't believe how far we have fallen. Successive mistakes and appointment of clowns like Levein and Neilson have contributed to a malaise that is harming the club. 

Bazzas right boot

No

Last season was worse. 

We won 4 games in 30, never won out of Edinburgh. 

We then got demoted by a vote and lost the court case. 

We are currently top and on for promotion first time round, nothing great but doing the job we need to do with a bit to spare. 

Bazzas right boot
5 minutes ago, jager man said:

Disagree. Playing better teams last year. We would be well adrift with this lot.

You'll never know that either way. 

We'd also have a Premiership budget and different players. 

1 minute ago, Des Lynam said:

You think 85-86 was us being spoilt rotten? Really? 

I'm a little confused about your stance. I can only presume you mean that we didn't actually win the league or cup? However, as a 9 year old starting out at Tynecastle for the very first time, then it never got any better than that for me (as a team who, to a 9/10 year old, beat nearly everyone put in front of them (I'm sure they went about 30 games unbeaten).

But, maybe you think we've been better than that.

Anyway, sorry I turned your milk sour. Hope the cornflakes were still edible.

We’ve had far, far worse squads play far, far better and be a lot more pleasing on the eye than this lot.

Recruitment in the last 5/6 seasons has been shameful 

15 minutes ago, MCW1976 said:

I suffered the late 60's onwards and let me say, this current 'heavy period' seems far duller, poorer football and player application with no sign of ending the suffering any year soon! At least the 70's mob looked like they were trying, just not very good!

6 minutes ago, jager man said:

We’ve won more this season is probably what I should have said.

This season even winning has been, generally boring

1 minute ago, Smith's right boot said:

You'll never know that either way. 

We'd also have a Premiership budget and different players. 

Current Hearts team is full of players most would say were Premiership standard.

I think that this is the worst spell since the the 80s. The seasons before JJ came the first time were dire but it was just a couple of years. This has been a five year stretch of mediocrity.

This should have been a season to rebuild and start again with the energy from.our wrongdoing in the summer. Even though we're top of this stupid league, it's so boring. There's no energy about the club at all.

8 minutes ago, i8hibsh said:

I have never felt less attached to the club and I have no admiration for any player. We are vanilla.

This.

4 solid years of performances and attitudes by staff that smacks of disinterest and lack of passion now has rubbed off on me. 

No connection or affinity to anyone at the club.

Remember RN saying the staff would use our treatment as extra motivation in games 🙈

Quite a few fans have already found other uses re their time and money and more to follow. The apathy by all staff is quite staggering, including RN and the poor use of words after games to engage with fans...

14 minutes ago, Jamhammer said:

We’ve been worse

Im not sure if we were, the opposition last year was much better than the utter garbage we are facing this year 

If we were in the Spfl this year and performing like this we would be well cut adrift at the bottom imo.

16 minutes ago, i8hibsh said:

I have never felt less attached to the club and I have no admiration for any player. We are vanilla.

Agreed...........there is not a single player that gets a game I would be sorry to see go and not a penny would be paid for any of them!

Just now, GavK1012 said:

This.

4 solid years of performances and attitudes by staff that smacks of disinterest and lack of passion now has rubbed off on me. 

No connection or affinity to anyone at the club.

Remember RN saying the staff would use our treatment as extra motivation in games 🙈

Quite a few fans have already found other uses re their time and money and more to follow. The apathy by all staff is quite staggering, including RN and the poor use of words after games to engage with fans...

Remember when Ann said "right, i'm going to start focusing on footballing matters". We were relegated within a year.

::facepaw::

She is a ****ing disaster.

A_A wehatethehibs

It's dreadful but that is the price of relegation. Ask any DUFC, Rangers, Hibs fan. Different clubs, different managers, same memory. Awful standard, poor signings, awful viewing. This is even worse as there's not even any fans. But as long as you get promoted.

So it's the season that put us here, last season, that goes down as the worst. 

5 minutes ago, MCW1976 said:

I'm a little confused about your stance. I can only presume you mean that we didn't actually win the league or cup? However, as a 9 year old starting out at Tynecastle for the very first time, then it never got any better than that for me (as a team who, to a 9/10 year old, beat nearly everyone put in front of them (I'm sure they went about 30 games unbeaten).

But, maybe you think we've been better than that.

Anyway, sorry I turned your milk sour. Hope the cornflakes were still edible.

Personally I don’t look on that season fondly. 

20 minutes ago, Jamhammer said:

You would have thought it impossible to be worse than last season, but with the opposition we face, Robbie has somehow achieved it.

1 minute ago, A_A wehatethehibs said:

It's dreadful but that is the price of relegation. Ask any DUFC, Rangers, Hibs fan. Different clubs, different managers, same memory. Awful standard, poor signings, awful viewing. This is even worse as there's not even any fans. But as long as you get promoted.

So it's the season that put us here, last season, that goes down as the worst. 

Fair point.

Bazzas right boot
4 minutes ago, MCW1976 said:

Current Hearts team is full of players most would say were Premiership standard.

Likley why we beat hibs and drew with celtic and  are currently top and will win this  league. 

We still need key areas improved tho and would have been able to attract more players if in the top flight. 

13 minutes ago, jager man said:

Not sure that’s true.   With Gordon last season, we wouldn’t have been bottoms of the league.  So many goals conceded and points lost due to pathetic keepers in goal.  Agree with our insipid,  uninspiring performances this season but reckon we’d be out of danger. 

Central Belt 1874
33 minutes ago, MCW1976 said:

It's the worst 3-4 year period in the last 35 years without doubt. 

The football last season and this, for me, have been the worst, apart from a couple of obvious performances.

Nelly Terraces

I’m old enough to remember the late 70s/early 80s  & yes, it was dreadful (league crowd of 1800 v Killie anyone?) but this is comparable in that the football the last FIVE years has been turgid, boring & above all so totally ineffective it’s taken us to the point of calamitous relegation (sorry, don’t care what people say, if the league had carried on that bunch of no hopers weren’t  digging out the hole we were in). A revolving door of journeymen garbage coming & going with nobody anyone could ever describe as a club hero & the club just drifting along in a sea of utter mediocrity. The similarities are pretty consistent in the periods, then & now.

Guess back in the day I was just a young laddie who went along excited no matter what, but the current situation literally has me dreading wasting my valuable free time watching this pointless rubbish, it really is just the most tedious spectacle & the managers post match comments last night don’t lead me to believe it’s going to change for the better anytime soon.

22 minutes ago, sjh1874 said:

We’ve had far, far worse squads play far, far better and be a lot more pleasing on the eye than this lot.

Recruitment in the last 5/6 seasons has been shameful 

This is the crux of it 

The level of incompetence season after season has been staggering frankly

27 minutes ago, Jamhammer said:

We’ve won more this season is probably what I should have said.

This season even winning has been, generally boring

Yeah agree there

I was born in '83, auld man started taking me to games in the late eighties but I was too young to really understand. Early/mid nineties is when I started to understand the game and realise what was shite and what wasn't and this current Hearts side is the most boring and uninspiring side I have watched in my time. Like others have said -there are no hero's or players (Gordon aside) who will go on to be a club legend -like a Robbo, a Neil McCann, a Mickey Cameron, a Colquhoun, etc. I could go on for days. I consider myself to be a proper die-hard supporter of the club and even I am feeling very apathetic these days. Watching the game last night I was bored to tears and I struggled to recognise the Heart of Midlothian Football Club we all love so much.

I enjoyed the game last night.   I watched it twice, enjoyed both times.    The next game and several following games are where I am going to be more critical if its not satisfactory. 

There are players that should not make it as a first team player next season, in the current team and squad.    Their performances are not close to a standard championship player let alone Premiership.    As much as I'd like to see certain players succeed, they better up the games now or should be considered surplus or just plain not good enough.   I'm not singling anyone out in respect that the current campaign isn't over yet.   If the manager or other relevant staff don't review it and put their fingers on the problem then they can go as well. 

Apart from that I'm happy we are top and on course to get promoted. 

👏

Edit.   Is it the worst.    No, it's not.   Last season was worse. 

Edited by HMFC01

1 hour ago, MCW1976 said:

:rofl: Try last season

Glamorgan Jambo

Im old enough to remember the end of the Ormond era. In particular a spell of games in the Championship or First Division where nothing happened until the 88th minute when we scored a fluke goal. Literally happened 5 or 6 times. Then Ormond got sacked. We were top of the league at the time.

The last few games haven’t been quite as turgid but are getting close.

Without doubt the seventies were a lot worse.As somebody mentioned we had a crowd of 1800 v killie and I was one of them.We didn't even come right back up one time and boy were we angry after the Killie away game which sealed our fate.

Craig Gordon and hopefully Mceneff,Irving and Boyce will develop into players we remember fondly in the future.Maybe also Gino if he signs,gets fit and kicks on.

I hope Naismith and Smith aren't badly injured after last night but I must admit I wasn't displeased when Naismith went off as Walker will surely now get his chance to prove if he is up to it.

Jambof3tornado

Not sure it matters if we have been worse before. We are horrible to watch right now but we have 1 objective this season and that is promotion back to the top flight, the level of entertainment on offer, frankly while diabolical, isnt high on Neilsons agenda. While the players all talk the talk very few are walking the walk.

Massive shift needed next season,hopefully with fans back in the ground, the club certainly wouldnt get away with current performance levels with 16500 fans in the ground.

5 minutes ago, Ray Gin said:

:rofl: Try last season

I actually agree with this. It’s a bit difficult to prove because we are playing poorer sides but I think we are marginally better than last season. Not too happy this season either though. 

1 hour ago, MCW1976 said:

85/86?

Luxury!!

When I wer't lad we were relegated every year, and grateful for it!

OIP.uei2uFEh_PDlvXLJmvgZlQHaHa?pid=ImgDe

kingantti1874

I’m 41, I think the last 5 years collectively have been the worst in my lifetime by some difference.

we are nothing, soulless weak, we have about 4 players in the squad I’d be upset at losing 

Gordon, Boyce and Mceneff looks decent, I think he will come good.

the rest. I can’t stand some of them- I genuinely dislike them.

1 minute ago, kingantti1874 said:

I’m 41, I think the last 5 years collectively have been the worst in my lifetime by some difference.

we are nothing, soulless weak, we have about 4 players in the squad I’d be upset at losing 

Gordon, Boyce and Mceneff looks decent, I think he will come good.

the rest. I can’t stand some of them- I genuinely dislike them.

That’s only 3. 😀

1 hour ago, Smith's right boot said:

No

Last season was worse. 

We won 4 games in 30, never won out of Edinburgh. 

We then got demoted by a vote and lost the court case. 

We are currently top and on for promotion first time round, nothing great but doing the job we need to do with a bit to spare. 

Nothing great is rather a large understatement. 

The last four games in a row have been embarrassing. 

The mighty Ayr, Q of South, Morton and Inverness have given us major problems. 

Now an off game is fair enough or possibly two games in a row you would possibly accept. 

The fact that we have now played 4 teams in a row in this tinpot league and there has been no sign of an improvement or something different tried is telling me that there is something far wrong behind the scenes at our club. 

All imo of course.