Any interesting ancestors?

BarneyBattles

BarneyBattles

Not sure if this has been done before but any good tales to tell?

Nothing particularly interesting in my family. We did have an Italian ancestor (Francis Rossignoli) who moved to Edinburgh in the 18th century. He taught fencing and dancing to the upper classes and is buried somewhere in the Calton cemetery but we can't locate the grave. 

• Replies 173
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• redjambo

• Jambo-Jimbo

• Baldwigforjack

• BarneyBattles

My mothers sister who married an American in 1918 returned to Edinburgh with her husband around 1976. The husband with his strong Mid West USA when asked by my mother why now for a visit he pointed out he wanted to visit and find out about his wife's ancestry. My always practical mother pointed out it may be better if he left it alone because he might not like what he found out. She always raised me to live by that principle. I knew the living family, and if they were any example her advice was sound.

Found out when doing my family tree that my Granddad had been married before he met my gran, not that interesting, but turns out he was still married to her and they got married when he was 18 and she was 14. 

He died before I was born, no one would ever talk about him :lol: 

Auld Reekin'

My mum mentioned something years ago about an ancestor on my dad's side being Sir James Douglas, but I never got around to asking her more about this and it's too late now.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/James_Douglas,_Lord_of_Douglas

Unfortunately however, subsequent ancestors appear to have squandered any family fortune, titles, and privileges and drunk / gambled / hoored away or otherwise lost all ancestral lands and properties. :ermm:

The useless feckers.   :muggy:

My grandad was a ww2 German soldier and my stepdad's a descendent of Rob Roy McGregor. My mum's uncle (her stepdad's brother) was clan chief of the Fergussons of Dumfries but sold the title for whisky according to family legend.

Jim Cruickshank's a distant relative and so is Daniel O'Donnell, but no one admits to that one except an elderly cousin who won't shut up about it.

BarneyBattles
25 minutes ago, Auld Reekin' said:

My mum mentioned something years ago about an ancestor on my dad's side being Sir James Douglas, but I never got around to asking her more about this and it's too late now.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/James_Douglas,_Lord_of_Douglas

Unfortunately however, subsequent ancestors appear to have squandered any family fortune, titles, and privileges and drunk / gambled / hoored away or otherwise lost all ancestral lands and properties. :ermm:

The useless feckers.   :muggy:

That’s a belter. The Black Douglas!

One of my ancestors had 19 children. With two separate women, admittedly, but not bad going all the same.

1 hour ago, BarneyBattles said:

Nothing particularly interesting in my family. We did have an Italian ancestor (Francis Rossignoli) who moved to Edinburgh in the 18th century. He taught fencing and dancing to the upper classes and is buried somewhere in the Calton cemetery but we can't locate the grave. 

Plays guitar in the Quo does he not ?

Auld Reekin'
7 minutes ago, BarneyBattles said:

That’s a belter. The Black Douglas!

:thumbsup:   Well, at least I can drink the family beer...

Broughton Ales - (explore your biking wanderlust on  www.motorcyclescotland.com) | Cerveza artesanal, Cerveza, Bebida isotonica

Something about the crest that I rather like too...   :)

220px-Douglas_Arms_2.svg.png

Edited by Auld Reekin'
1 hour ago, BarneyBattles said:

I'm probably way out here but it appears that Francis' death was listed in the Canongate old parish register (if he's the chap who died on 23 Jan 1824 aged 60). Have you thought about looking in the Canongate Kirkyard or are you certain that he's buried in Calton?

Jambo-Jimbo
4 minutes ago, redjambo said:

I'm probably way out here but it appears that Francis' death was listed in the Canongate old parish register (if he's the chap who died on 23 Jan 1824 aged 60). Have you thought about looking in the Canongate Kirkyard or are you certain that he's buried in Calton?

The register might well mention where he was buried, however having a marker in the first place, let alone one surviving for nearly 200 years could well be the real issue.

A US Supreme Court judge :) 

A traitor hung during WW2 for collabing with the Italians :( 

PortyJambo

My great-great-grandfather made a fortune as the owner of a mill and other businesses in a town in Pennsylvania, USA. Has streets and the town hall, amongst other things, in the town named after him. Can't remember the name of the town, but an American relative did a family tree going back a couple of centuries and found him amongst other relatives (that's how she found out my dad was a relative).

Anyway, he was pretty wealthy, but unfortunately my great grandfather was a waster and squandered it all, so no inheritance has made it's way to my dad or me :lol:

1 minute ago, jonesy said:

A US Supreme Court judge :) 

A traitor hung during WW2 for collabing with the Italians :( 

Keep slating Nicola and you could keep up the family tradition 😂

2 minutes ago, GinRummy said:

Keep slating Nicola and you could keep up the family tradition 😂

The Septics are going to offer me the next vacant slot in DC?

1 minute ago, jonesy said:

The Septics are going to offer me the next vacant slot in DC?

Aye that’s it. You’d be good at it. 

12 minutes ago, Jambo-Jimbo said:

The register might well mention where he was buried, however having a marker in the first place, let alone one surviving for nearly 200 years could well be the real issue.

Absolutely, JJ. That's why we're very lucky if, for any churchyard in which we might be interested, someone carried out a transcription of the memorial inscriptions a good while ago before the ravages of time set about the gravestones even more that it had then.

2 minutes ago, GinRummy said:

Aye that’s it. You’d be good at it. 

Impartial and pragmatic. Just like my ancestor(s). ;)  

I should say that there is a family story that we're related to Bluidy Clavers, but it's not something I've been able to prove nor which I bandy about too often. :)

My family descend from Walter Stewart and his wife Marjorie. Her father was a fairly well known chap, Robert the Bruce

Jambo-Jimbo

No famous or infamous folks on either myself or Mrs JJ's side, mostly just normal dirt poor working class people.

Although this one is quite topical the now.

One of Mrs JJ's Great Grandfathers and his mother lived over the road from the tenement where the last major Bubonic Plague outbreak occured in the UK, this was in August 1900 at Rose Street, Glasgow where a woman by the name of Mrs Bogie and her granddaughter died from the plague.

In total there were between 36 & 48 cases and at least 16 deaths.

That reminds me. A relative, although not by blood, managed to kill themselves by mistake in the late 19th century by pouring themselves a wee port, but accidentally using a similar bottle of liniment instead of the bottle of port. The liniment contained aconite and belladonna.

Jambo-Jimbo
12 minutes ago, redjambo said:

Absolutely, JJ. That's why we're very lucky if, for any churchyard in which we might be interested, someone carried out a transcription of the memorial inscriptions a good while ago before the ravages of time set about the gravestones even more that it had then.

Indeed the monumental inscriptions are often priceless.

I've found almost none of my lot's headstones (if they ever had any), have found a few of Mrs JJ's though, in Galashiels, Drumelzier, Manor, Lyme, Eddleston and Peebles.

1 minute ago, Jambo-Jimbo said:

Indeed the monumental inscriptions are often priceless.

I've found almost none of my lot's headstones (if they ever had any), have found a few of Mrs JJ's though, in Galashiels, Drumelzier, Manor, Lyme, Eddleston and Peebles.

Yup, my success has been patchy too, probably due to being a descendant of mostly miners (and some weavers, agricultural labourers, etc.) who couldn't really afford gravestones and the like. It's nice when you do find one though and they can sometimes fill in some important details that you can't find elsewhere. If you do pinpoint one and it's difficult to get to, especially in Covid times, you can request a volunteer on the Find A Grave website to photograph it for you.

Joey J J Jr Shabadoo

I was told Jenny Geddes is one of my ancestors. I've never looked into it, though.

Pans Jambo

My old man is 90 this year and I never met my Grandad. 
Dad told me when he lived in old Craighall in the late 1930’s his father worked in the pit (I’m not sure which one) and he and his Irish pal robbed the pit pay one day and ran off. He left my gran to look after 2 boys on her own (she eventually remarried a farmer a few years later and they moved to Haddington). 
Anyway, my grandad (if I can call him that) ran away and ended up in Durham where he married a local woman and had kids with her (bedore my gran applied for a divorce so it was a bigamist marriage). I must have blood relatives there but I dont know who they are. He then decided to join the merchant navy and left from Hartlepool on a boat as a boiler stoker. They were taking coal to somewhere in the med (north Africa) to support the war effort. 
His boat was bombed by a German plane and sank with only 6 survivors. The German plane actually shot the survivors whilst they were in the water. 
I know this as I ended up in a forum where I spoke to the son of one of the survivors (from Canada) who was the ships cook. He escaped and went north through Spain before being captured by the Germans and spending the rest of the war in a POW camp. The guy said his dad had no time for Germans right up until his death. 

So my Grandad, a theif, abandoner, bigamist and killed in WW2. 

Jamhammer

My Dad plays on the soundtrack to Star Wars and Lawrence of Arabia

I’ll never be as cool as him

26 minutes ago, Jamhammer said:

My Dad plays on the soundtrack to Star Wars and Lawrence of Arabia

I’ll never be as cool as him

Wow that is cool mate .

BarneyBattles
1 hour ago, redjambo said:

Sorry. I meant Canongate. He’s definitely in there but we can’t find him (despite my mum being an osto-archaeologist 😀). 

14 minutes ago, BarneyBattles said:

Sorry. I meant Canongate. He’s definitely in there but we can’t find him (despite my mum being an osto-archaeologist 😀). 

Midnight exhumations? ;)

Yup, it looks as if his gravestone or plaque isn't extant (https://www.gravestonephotos.com/public/cemetery.php?cemetery=1246). From the large areas of space in photos of the kirkyard (here), it looks as if there are a significant number which aren't.

BarneyBattles
10 minutes ago, redjambo said:

Midnight exhumations? ;)

Yup, it looks as if his gravestone or plaque isn't extant (https://www.gravestonephotos.com/public/cemetery.php?cemetery=1246). From the large areas of space in photos of the kirkyard (here), it looks as if there are a significant number which aren't.

Cheers. Interestingly he originally called himself Rossignol but changed it to Rossignoli to sound less French as an ‘alien’ in Edinburgh during the Napoleonic wars. 

Here’s an article another of his descendants posted. 

https://www.pressreader.com/uk/who-do-you-think-you-are-magazine/20180703/283880163866976

My great grandad was a Stoddart. He ran the big funeral directors on the corner of Junction Place/Street, but more interestingly, for those who are maybe up to date on Scottish military history, his brother was George Stoddart, often known as 'the original lone piper'. George's son Gavin was lone piper too, and is an MBE. I've never met any of them though.

Also, the Stoddart's were cousins to the one and only Alexander Fleming.

On my Mum's side, apparently there's a distant relation to Bernard and Kirsty Gallagher, and apparently my step Dad is a second cousin of Peter Wright the darts player.

Governor Tarkin

A travelling circus family who arrived in Scotland from Italy in the late 1800s.

1 minute ago, BarneyBattles said:

Cheers. Interestingly he originally called himself Rossignol but changed it to Rossignoli to sound less French as an ‘alien’ in Edinburgh during the Napoleonic wars. 

Here’s an article another of his descendants posted. 

https://www.pressreader.com/uk/who-do-you-think-you-are-magazine/20180703/283880163866976

I did wonder as the Italian for nightingale is "usignolo", not as far as I know "rossignoli" (unless it's an older/regional variant). It's a lovely name though.

Thanks for the link - a nice read!

If you're interested in more info on Canongate Kirkyard (although I'm sure you already know a great deal on the subject), there's a nice wee potted history at https://ewh.org.uk/wp-content/uploads/2018/03/Graveyards-Survey.pdf

One of my grandads was a massive arsehole, Olympian standard. 
He managed to have two families on the go, both in Leith and only about a mile or so apart. He seemed to manage this as he was a trawler man and would claim he was off to sea for a fortnight or whatever but actually only do half the time and then head off to the second family. Then repeat the entire thing with them. Common knowledge to a lot of people but neither of the families ever found out about the other. Then my dad’s mother died so being the nice guy he was he put his 4 sons into an orphanage and moved in full time with the other family until he got bored with them and vanished. In this same period he signed papers that sent the 2 youngest off to an Australian orphanage for a new life. My dad came back on leave from the army and discovered this had happened and he wasn’t allowed details of where they’re been sent. It took 25 years or so until they were reconnected by one of the Australians writing a letter to the Daily Record letters page appealing for relatives in Scotland.  The last time my old man saw him was when he turned up at his wedding and was told in pretty blunt terms by my dad to **** off or else. Then out of nowhere my dad got a phone call about 30 years later from a woman in Grimsby saying she was his daughter and he’d died and gave my dad the funeral details. To my amazement he actually went to it “just to make sure the old ******* was dead”.

I didn’t know about the 2nd family until I was in my twenties and went to visit my parents and met their new next door neighbour who I casually mentioned to my mum looked oddly like my dad. At which point she went into panic mode and dragged me out the room and explained the whole sorry tale. So my dad ended up living next door to his half brother for about 10 years with neither of them aware of their relationship. 
If you made shit like that into a film people would say it was ridiculously far fetched. So I’ve got relatives all over Leith and Grimsby I’ve no knowledge of. Also my dad’s older brother went off to join the army and hasn’t been seen since. 
Thank Christ my mum’s side were normal. Well, most of them but that’s another odd story of vanishing sailors. 

John Hannah the actor is a distant relative of mine I think, my grandfather who passed away tried to look into it a bit but did not get very far.

I think he contacted John but he was not really interested in finding out ( I completely understand probably gets multiple requests)

My grandpaw as he was known to myself only motivation was to find out more about his family that had all migrated out of Glasgow.

BarneyBattles
20 minutes ago, Tazio said:

He managed to have two families on the go, both in Leith and only about a mile or so apart. He seemed to manage this as he was a trawler man and would claim he was off to sea for a fortnight or whatever but actually only do half the time and then head off to the second family. Then repeat the entire thing with them. Common knowledge to a lot of people but neither of the families ever found out about the other. Then my dad’s mother died so being the nice guy he was he put his 4 sons into an orphanage and moved in full time with the other family until he got bored with them and vanished. In this same period he signed papers that sent the 2 youngest off to an Australian orphanage for a new life. My dad came back on leave from the army and discovered this had happened and he wasn’t allowed details of where they’re been sent. It took 25 years or so until they were reconnected by one of the Australians writing a letter to the Daily Record letters page appealing for relatives in Scotland.  The last time my old man saw him was when he turned up at his wedding and was told in pretty blunt terms by my dad to **** off or else. Then out of nowhere my dad got a phone call about 30 years later from a woman in Grimsby saying she was his daughter and he’d died and gave my dad the funeral details. To my amazement he actually went to it “just to make sure the old ******* was dead”.

I didn’t know about the 2nd family until I was in my twenties and went to visit my parents and met their new next door neighbour who I casually mentioned to my mum looked oddly like my dad. At which point she went into panic mode and dragged me out the room and explained the whole sorry tale. So my dad ended up living next door to his half brother for about 10 years with neither of them aware of their relationship. 
If you made shit like that into a film people would say it was ridiculously far fetched. So I’ve got relatives all over Leith and Grimsby I’ve no knowledge of. Also my dad’s older brother went off to join the army and hasn’t been seen since. 
Thank Christ my mum’s side were normal. Well, most of them but that’s another odd story of vanishing sailors. 

That’s a mental tale Taz. 

Byyy The Light
20 minutes ago, Tazio said:

Incredible.

Jambo-Jimbo
1 hour ago, redjambo said:

Yup, my success has been patchy too, probably due to being a descendant of mostly miners (and some weavers, agricultural labourers, etc.) who couldn't really afford gravestones and the like. It's nice when you do find one though and they can sometimes fill in some important details that you can't find elsewhere. If you do pinpoint one and it's difficult to get to, especially in Covid times, you can request a volunteer on the Find A Grave website to photograph it for you.

Yeh, mine were much the same occupations, fishermen, miners, shoemakers, labourers etc etc.

I've used the Find A Grave photo request to photograph the headstone of one of the Great Grandfather's of one of my cousins, he was killed in 1917 and is buried at Ypres, less than a week after I put the request in, some kind soul had taken several photo's of his grave.

Just now, Jambo-Jimbo said:

Yeh, mine were much the same occupations, fishermen, miners, shoemakers, labourers etc etc.

I've used the Find A Grave photo request to photograph the headstone of one of the Great Grandfather's of one of my cousins, he was killed in 1917 and is buried at Ypres, less than a week after I put the request in, some kind soul had taken several photo's of his grave.

:thumb:

pharmaceutical01

My wife had Native American ancestors - one of her great great uncles worked for the Hudson Bay company and brought a squaw brome to Orkney from Canada ... she has tiny hands and feet right enough...

N Lincs Jambo

I believe SAF is a distant relative on my mother’s (Ferguson) side of the family but I’ve never been arsed trying to find out if it’s true.

A good mate of mine however, his biological dad had a speaking role in the James Bond movie Octopussy. He played the Russian jeweller who confirms the Faberge egg is real.

I’ve never done this before . Always though about it but don’t fancy paying on these website and potentially be left with no findings . Has anyone got any websites they have used what they recommend or can you visit register house for this information still ? 

BarneyBattles
11 minutes ago, Stu_HMFC said:

I’ve never done this before . Always though about it but don’t fancy paying on these website and potentially be left with no findings . Has anyone got any websites they have used what they recommend or can you visit register house for this information still ? 

ancestry.co.uk is pretty good for records although I haven’t really looked at any others. 

The highlight for me was finding out loads about my great grandfather in WWI that my granddad didn’t know and printing off his records and signed forms etc. 

This was about 15 years ago and my granddad was delighted as he could never recall seeing his dad’s signature. 

He was really pleased that his dad was in France by September 1914 (from memory) and that he had an impeccable record during his four years in France. He was truly chuffed and I was delighted to do that for him. 

A mate of mine asked me to look up his granddad in WWI and this guy also had an impeccable record, apart from one charge on Hogmanay 1916 when he got pissed and attacked a room full of German PoWs 😀

BarneyBattles

The problem with a lot of WWI records is that when they were all held in storage there was a massive fire which destroyed a lot (ironically that might have been during WWII). Still loads online though. 

Weakened Offender
1 hour ago, Tazio said:

We have a winner. 

Weakened Offender

My cousin married a farmer from Moray. One day a German couple pitched up unannounced and the lady said her Dad had been detained on the farm during WW2 as a POW. Cousin's hubby knew nothing about it, they'd acquired the farm in the 70s. An hour or so later after reading the letters he'd sent home they found German writing on the walls in one of the old sheds. Turned out the place had in fact been a camp of sorts where POWs had worked. The letters said that the POWs were grateful to be held there. They were treated well and looked after and were no longer in the war. The family took photos etc, spent the day there and visited a few other places the boy mentioned in the letter. They sent a few letters back and forward and said they'd return, not sure they did though.